• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

doing the Camino with children?

triciaontour

hey there - my name is Tricia and I am an 'in planning pilgrim' from Ireland!
I hope to do the Camino Frances either this October or early next year. I have a little girl who I hope to bring with me and I am currently trying to find information on walking the camino with children. She will be 2 and 8 mths old in October. If anyone has any advice relating to this or any or other aspect of planning for the camino then I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Tricia and Gaby Magee Valladares

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino Frances

Hi Tricia,
I have seen pilgrims before with young children in prams/buggies and maybe on the back of a bike but I'm not sure about the latter. Something to bear in mind, and I don't know how many adults are with you to assist, but there has been an effort to keep walking pilgrims off the roads and on tracks and rougher ground. With a young child you are likely to be forced to use the roads more often with the hazards that go with them but it has been done by others.
I don't know from where you are starting, but a) the Meseta is completely exposed and it takes a week to cross it and b) as you get towards Galicia the weather can be aweful (wet and cold) even in June, and you are starting October or early next year; I don't know the weather conditions at those times but I would not expect them to be comfortable.
In the Montes de Leon after Astorga you will be at at height of 4000 ft - expext rough/cold conditions. These conditions can be tough for an adult but when you are walking you generate heat and so while you are losing energy you are warm and can top up at each halt. My concern would be that, generally, if you are using something like a buggy the child is facing forward and on the pilgrimage that is West, precisely the direction the poor weather would be coming from and a young child will not be generating heat by walking.
As a Mam you will be able to sort out the protection needed for your child and I can't imagine any other problems, but then I'm a long way past young children, however there is no doubt in my mind that you and your child will be a gift to the pilgrimage.
Whenever you go, I hope you have a wonderful pilgrimage and you will understand, I think the all words that go before ...... and may God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

Best wishes,
Brendan

To be perfectly frank, I am not sure why you would even consider doing such a thing, especially at the time of year you are planning on. Your child certainly can neither walk nor carry a pack and in very many places it would be difficult if not impossible to push/pull a wheeled device easily and safely. And even if you could,the idea of forcing a small child to remain in one for 7-8 hours per day for days at a time seems almost cruel, especially in the cold and rain weather you will encounter. Do yourself and the baby a favor by leaving her at home.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Children on the camino

Hi Tricia and Gaby,
You can walk with your child. It would be safer for both of you if you had a companion. Go to this website for information on walking with children, set up by a young couple who walked with their children.
http://kidsoncamino.com/

There is a really good video, "El Camino de Santiago. La Ruta Xacobea Paso a Paso". (The Way of Sanitago, the Xacobean Route, Step by Step)
produced by the French and it focuses on the pilgrims' experiences, reasons for undertaking the pilgrimage, and spiritual changes experienced It shows some ingenious means created by some pilgrims with children, such as carts fashioned with mountain bicycle wheels,) , etc., The video is only available only French and Spanish. The number is 8 435112 601999 and it is distributed by DVD Spain:
http://www.dvdspain.net

Good luck!

Hi there,

We have had several pilgrims walking with their children. Have a look at what some of them have reported back here:

viewtopic.php?t=1023
viewtopic.php?t=52
viewtopic.php?t=559

Note that if you reply to one of these threads (messages) above, this will trigger an e-mail to the participant in this thread... and you may get some help from them. Or just send them a Private Message (click the PM icon under one of their posts).

Buen camino,
Ivar

Dear Jeff001

Thanks for your comments and I do understand your perspective, however I tend to see this more positively than you. I do believe that doing the camino with my little girl, will only serve to strengthen her and our relationship.

I am not so naive that I am not fully aware of what a challenge the camino is and what an even greater challenge it will be having my little girl accompany me, but I don't see it as a cruel thing. I know of more cruel things that parents have done to their kids and this certainly is not one of them.

I take on board your concerns and will be doing my best to plan appropriately in order to ensure that my daughter is not in a situation that will cause her any harm. I would hope that the camino is a place for all, and that includes families. My daughter is a very special little girl and will only bring joy to those other pilgrims that she meets.

I can think of nothing better than spending this time with my little girl, away from the pressures of life and all the other distractions of today which are doing so much more damage to our children than doing the camino could ever do.

thank you for sharing your concerns and I will use them positively to help me plan well for this adventure.

Tricia and Gaby

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Dear Brendan, Ivar and Sillydoll

Thanks so much for your advice and information and your best wishes, it really is a big help. I really appreciate all the pointers you have all given me and they do relate directly to questions I have and things I am trying to figure out, things that will have a big play in what I decide to do. I am working on figuring out the best way of walking with Gaby, I realise a buggy will have its limitations, although someone has offered to make me a hybrid of a child carrier crossed with a pull along carriage that cyclists use....sounds intriguing and if it works means it will make all the difference to Gabys experience, especially on the more exposed areas you mentioned and of course the weather!

I will check out the DVD Sillydoll, thanks for the reference, luckily I speak some spanish, Gaby is bilingual and her dad is from Central America, so we will get the spanish version of the DVD. Its great to know about this, it will really help me get closer to understanding what to expect on the camino.

I will also check out those link to other parents who have successfully done the camino with their families. this is very reassuring.

I also realise that doing this alone will have its difficulties so I am currently collating a rota of people who will come walk with us, a month is a lot to ask of one person, so I have a list of people that will come join us in our journey.
My motivation to walk the camino are many and all personal, one of which is to use the opportunity to raise money for a charity and a country very close to our hearts, I plan to use my time on the camino to raise funds for Habitat for Humanity for Guatemala, (Gabys other home),

I know that people will be very supportive of this and if I can raise enough to build at least one decent home for one family in Guatemala and raise awareness at the same time, then the camino will have been a success.

Your replies and support are helping me, us, on our way to achieving this.
Thank you again

hasta pronto

Dios les Bendiga

Trica and Gaby

Your pilgrimage

Hi Tricia and Gaby,(Sorry I missed your name off last time),
The idea of a pull-along carrier for Gaby sounds good and should work well. When working as hospitalero this year a pilgrim went through who had an injured shoulder before he started out. He could not carry a rucksack so he had fashoined a harness to a 'chariot' that he pulled behind him - it seemed to work brilliantly. In your case maybe a unit that would carry Gaby and the luggage for you both would be good. Pulling such a unit over rough ground is easier than pushing and gives you more flexibily for your route, ie keep you off the roads a bit more, also I imagine that pushing a buggy, or similar, for hundreds of kms is not very good for the back especially if you had a rucksack to carry as well.
You mentioned back-up/rota for 4 weeks which is about the time the average adult would take for the pilgrimage. Still don't know from where you intend to start, so assuming its a long way, perhaps a little longer should be planned for since you may want to do shorter distances to give Gaby a bit more attention at the end of the day and have fun.
Gaby, I'm not comparing you to a donkey (!), but I met 2 pilgrims in France who were walking with a donkey and of course before they could sort themselves out at the end of each stage they had to make sure the donkey was comfortable; so you will have a great time at the end of each day!
If any more thoughts come to mind I'll pass them on, but I look forward to hearing how your plans are progressing and of course, if possible how you get on on your pilgrimage.
Another thought: if you are starting in October and passing through Rabanal between 8th and 13th November I'll be working in the 'English' refugio Gaucelmo. Unfortunately it won't be open to pilgrims because we will be a working party mothballing it for the winter, but if you are passing at that time please call in for a cuppa!

Best wishes,
Brendan

Brendan

that cuppa sounds lovely, and if you are there when I am passing, then put that kettle on, any type of tea will do. Being Irish I must have a cup of tea at least every hour, and no better cup of tea than one that is shared.

Thanks again for your interest and advice for our camino. I plan to start at St Jean Pied de Port, I think, although I hear it is a tough first intro to the camino as it is quite an ascent, so depending on what my condition is like at the time, then I will decide between there and Roncesvalles, I will have someone with me so we can share the load, and seeing how our first week goes, if I find that it is too demaning of Gaby then she will travel back to Belfast with my companion. I suppose in the spirit of the Camino I am going to see where the road takes us and constantly review what we are doing, and remain open to change. this is a personal challenge and one that I want to succeed at, but not enough to put my little girl in danger or discomfort, she will be my priority at all times, but my gut feeling is that she will love it, she is a very adventourous and social being, and I know she will love the exposure to so many new things and people.

And you are right, time each day so that she can have fun is crucial, so each day we will take at a pace that suits her and ensures that she is enjoying herself, of course meaning that I too will be more relaxed. (I love the donkey story, and what a great idea, almost biblical)

I suppose the only pressure will be ensuring that we are always near to somewhere where we can sleep each night, but from what I find that shouldn't be a problem. The distance between each village isn't that great? I am right in that assumption?

We tried out a backpac child carrier with Gaby today and she loved it, she called it her 'hairaplanecopter', because she was so high up on my back and all snug and safe. If the pull along thing doesn't materialise then this will be a great option.

Its all falling into place, well the beginning of the plans at least - now I plan to go to the hills of Donegal and work on those wobbly legs of mine!

thanks again Brendan

and thats no sugar and no milk

Tricia and Gaby

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
brendan again

Hi Tricia and Gaby,
Good to see photo, eventually I may get someone to help me with a mugshot.
Re interest and help - I'm a member of CSJ in England and they have meetings to help prospective pigrims but obviously not all can get there, so I've just realised I can help this way. For advice on places open I would suggest the CSJ guide but in October I think you should be ok in Spain.
Sounds as though you may start October, tea ready, and trust your gut feelings.
From St. Jean it is a really steep climb for a few hours; you mention the 'hairaplanecopter' and it sounds good, but where does the rest of your gear go? Most pilgrims carry something between 8 and 10 kilos/20 pounds or so and that is quite enough. How heavy is Gaby? Wheels sound good to me.
You can do Pyrenees in 2 stages. After Roncesvalles its roughly downhill but some climbs - there are, I think, websites that give the whole terrain.
I think Gaby will have a ball and will be s great gift to the pilgrimage.

Take care and godbless,
Brendan

Hi Tricia,
Long time with no contact. How are the preparations going? Have you decided to walk this autumn or next spring? And how are the plans going re wheeled transport? Look forward to hearing from you soon. And don't forget that cuppa in Gaucelmo, Rabanal!

Buen Camino,
Brendan

Hey Brendan

How are you? Gaby and I are now nearing our leaving date, 2nd October and I am doing the final touches to our planning. I think now that we may start in Roncesvalles. Do you know of the best mode of transport from Biarritz (airport) to Roncesvalles?

How are things on your bit of the camino?

Hope to hear from you and of course meet you for that cuppa

Take care

Tricia

Hi Tricia & Gaby,
Good to hear from yoy again and glad preps are going well. I'm not the best one to ask about getting to Roncesvalles since I've only ever walked there. I suspect you need to get a train along the coast, then up to Pamplona and bus to Roncesvalles, but I've really no idea re connections, etc. Probably the best thing is to post another message on the forum under another topic and you should then get some good responses.
What will Gaby's mode of transport be - a wheelie or being backpacked? Whichever, I'm sure she wil be comfortable. Is there a second adult going with you as support?
At this end I'm fine, one bit of my camino is this forum, it's a way of giving something back to the camino. I am due to arrive in Rabanal for the working party on 7th Nov. - closing the refugio down for the winter while getting it ready for next year's pilgrims!
Take care and hope final preps go well. If you're in Rabanal when I'm there give a loud shout, I may well be up a ladder.
Take care, buen camino,
Brendan

Hey Brendan

sorry., just seeing this post now. I will most definitely give a loud shout if I am in Rabanal at the same time as you.
I have some people joining me for the first three weeks of the camino, so I am hoping that having the xtra supportwe'I cover good ground in that time.

take care
Tricia

Hello Tricia.

Have you ever walked the Camino? A mean, do you know how the Camino is?

It's important in order to prevent problems you will find.

At the first, "either this October or early next year" means a quite cold weather, with rain and may be snow. So, you have to be ready to protect yourself and of course your daughter.

About your backpack, is said it has to weight about a 10% of your weight. it may be about 6 kg? I've walked in summer (7 kg) and in winter (about 1,5 kg more). But you will have to carry enough for you and Gaby. And it weights. So, you will finish your etapas more tired than usual.

You will have no problem to sleep in albergues, and ¡sure! you will have hot water to take a shower. But you will have to wash double number of clothes every evening. On winter I would suggest you to carry clothes for one or two days more than in summer, it cost to dry more than in summer and usually it rains more, too. It means more weight in your backpack.

You will have to be specially careful walking on the roads, with vehicles.

Check the weather in Astorga and in Villafranca del Bierzo. You will be very close to cross very high and cold mountains.

Have a good Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back