• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Don't Pick the Grapes!!!

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
For two days now the Camino has been littered with bunches of grapes which foolish pilgrims have picked from the many vineyards we are walking through, DON'T
They are not yours to pick
They are grapes to be made into wine not for eating
They are not tasty

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When we walked in the Rioja a month ago the farmers themselves were thinning the grapes - cutting bunches and leaving them on the ground all along the rows. One of the farmers told us it was a bad season - too much rain so too many grapes and the flavour not sufficiently concentrated. But bliss for us because it made the grapes taste good and we were very happy to pick the gleanings up off the ground.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
They are not tasty

Yes they are wine grapes, but I work at a winery, and trust me... they are tasty!
We have the same problem here with tourists helping themselves to our grapes, it is very frustrating!
Pilgrims should not be doing this.

For two days now the Camino has been littered with bunches of grapes which foolish pilgrims have picked from the many vineyards we are walking through, DON'T
They are not tasty
On a similar note, I wish pilgrims wouldn't pick apples or cherries in the backyards, hanging over the fence. Unless invited to pick them, it's stealing. They belong to someone else. Buy locally and support the small businesses.

I agree, Peregrinos should respect private property... However, on my walk into Logrono several weeks ago, is joined by a Spanish gentleman out for his morning walk. I witnessed some Peregrino grape harvesting and exclaimed my disgust you the gentleman. He simply responded that the farmers are honored that Peregrinos find there fruit worthy of picking and eating.
I still disagree with, what I believe amounts to theft. I especially disagree with picking and then throwing it away - you pick it, you eat it!

Kevin

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If I saw this happening, I wouldn't hesitate to rush up saying "no, no, no." I've done it before (even in other countries), and it startles people enough to quit doing whatever foolish thing they are doing.

.....I witnessed some Peregrino grape harvesting and exclaimed my disgust to the [Spanish] gentleman. He simply responded that the farmers are honored that Peregrinos find there fruit worthy of picking and eating.
If the Spanish farmers really feel that way, they have gone still further up in my estimation than they were already.

When we walked in the Rioja a month ago the farmers themselves were thinning the grapes - cutting bunches and leaving them on the ground all along the rows. One of the farmers told us it was a bad season - too much rain so too many grapes and the flavour not sufficiently concentrated. But bliss for us because it made the grapes taste good and we were very happy to pick the gleanings up off the ground.
Hi Jill - your example is one of the few where the "farmers" have invited those passing by to part-take of their produce.
IMHO all other examples is stealing. How a tree grows is not under the control of a farmer or home owner - just because the fruit "was in reach" should not be considered an open invitation to take it. On my camino I saw many places where people (probably pilgrims) had picked bunches of grapes, eaten one or two and thrown away the rest. Please reconsider!!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I live in a region of fruit. This region is one of the largest fruit growing areas in Europe; apples, stone fruit, pears, strawberries and other berried fruits. A cultivation area of about 9000 hectares in great variety.
They are not yours to pick = steal. :(
You can also ask the fruit grower to pick an apple; very often not be refused!:)

images
:);)

Oh @Saint Mike II I absolutely agree that picking the produce is stealing. The only fruit we took was offered to us. The biggest frustration was the ripe figs everywhere - except in the shops! We died and went to heaven when, in Cirueña, one of the locals climbed his tree with a ladder to give us some.

Taking the fruit of any farmers labor is the same as a farmer coming into your home and taking food from your table. It's not only wrong but, I'm sure, illegal. Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Very nice what you have done!

Because, as already mentioned, grapes could be sprayed and most importantly you'd be are actually stealing something even if later in the process of ripening (is that the right word???) it would be thrown away/on the ground.

But... was there a very rainy season in La Rioja this year? I thought (and experienced on Levante) it was very hot and dry summer :confused:

Ultreia!

I just am glad you all have described what it is like when the "crops" are ready.

grapes 31.JPG

Sorry Scruf---they are very tasty!

We've found them left on the vine after harvest was done, spilled off the tractors on the road, left on the ground after thinning. Never had a reason to steal any.

grapes 33.JPG grapes1.JPG grapes3.JPG

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well... maybe.
I grew up in a farming family, everything from wheat, grapes, tomatoes, potatoes, to walnuts and peaches.
All the farmers I know used to leave the outer two rows for people to glean.
Maybe that's because most of the farmers I knew went through the Great Depression and remembered being down on your luck.
But it also has to do with tithing for some.
I'm not saying every farmer does this, but a lot of the old-timers do.
My granddad would even plow up the outer two rows of potatoes and leave them for local people to come and pick.
I've been with him many times when he'd stop the pickup truck, get out, and help himself to somebody else's grapes.
He'd say, "Awww, he don't care - he expects it!"
So, I just don't know about the farmers in Spain.

Personally, I wouldn't pick fruit unless I asked.
But my experience has been when I have asked, the answer is always "Help yourself!"

Also, like Kanga said, many times those grapes you see on the side of the road are from thinning.

I imagine, each farmer is different.
Many of those grapes along the Camino are sprayed with an anti-fungal. It's bright pink, and probably not very healthy.
They used to spray cotton seed in the USA with the same thing.
My friends and I would play in the cotton trailers, and come out all pink.
We also used to dance under the spray of the crop dusters.
Now I have Multiple Chemical Sensitivities because of the chemical overload ... gee, I wonder why?

I grew up in farming country, and in the course of travel and business have known farmers in many countries, including Spain. What Anniesantiago wrote has also been my experience of farmers, with one exception: English farmers, who are the only ones I have known who would describe picking an apple or a handful of grapes as stealing. That's my personal experience, but I cannot state that it's a general principle.

I have long abstained from picking fruit from trees on private property but if it is on common land, I never worried. However, I have noticed how gardeners and farmers often leave fruit and vegetables out for pilgrims. On several occasions, gardeners offered me tomatoes and figs as I passed by. Grapes are usually well-sprayed with chemicals so, no matter how you obtain them, they should be washed. But in all of this, we should be guided by the maxim that pilgrims are grateful for gifts, but tourists demand.

Attachments

• camino2009 749.jpg
    camino2009 749.jpg
    624.7 KB · Views: 5
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes they are wine grapes, but I work at a winery, and trust me... they are tasty!
We have the same problem here with tourists helping themselves to our grapes, it is very frustrating!
Pilgrims should not be doing this.
Of course they're tasty when they're ripe! Unless a peregrino (or a tourist) has an open invitation from a farmer to sample, we all should just enjoy the view! And also appreciate that what's growing, and yet to be harvested, is someone's LIVELIHOOD. That crop was not planted for peregrinos to snack on, but it's their way to feed their families and pay their bills.

I think the attitudes vary from country to country. In my European country that is not Spain nor US the law (written, not just tradition) is that first its not allowed to build or plant so that the shadow covers neighbors land and second if there are branches leaning over into neighboring territory, all the fruit are free to take. Even the branches may be cut off. The same if the branches lean over into public territory, road e.g., everybody may take the fruit.

Let´s see. Now there are not grapes to pick, because the recollection has finished. However in some wineyards there are small bunches in the plants. Twuenty o thirty years ago people picked them freeely to make wine at home. now very few people do that, so I dont see any problem to pick them because it will be lost.
When grapevines are overcharged the farmer must cut grapes, usually in the lower part of the plant to increase the sugar lever in the fruits to get better wine. Grapes on the ground maybe not well riped but can be refreshig and sweet enough for you. I think there is not problem because they will be lost. The farmers put the grapes on the ground because this practices must be inspected by the authority of "consejo regulador".
However if you pick the grapes from the plant before collectig may be some problems.
You pick one, other peoples pick more and the farmer loss some kilos of fruit.
The plants are treated with several chemical products to avoid plant diseases, I think that a plant cannot be treated at least in the last month before collectig, but you could get some digestive problems.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Let´s see. Now there are not grapes to pick, because the recollection has finished. However in some wineyards there are small bunches in the plants. Twuenty o thirty years ago people picked them freeely to make wine at home. now very few people do that, so I dont see any problem to pick them because it will be lost.
When grapevines are overcharged the farmer must cut grapes, usually in the lower part of the plant to increase the sugar lever in the fruits to get better wine. Grapes on the ground maybe not well riped but can be refreshig and sweet enough for you. I think there is not problem because they will be lost. The farmers put the grapes on the ground because this practices must be inspected by the authority of "consejo regulador".
However if you pick the grapes from the plant before collectig may be some problems.
You pick one, other peoples pick more and the farmer loss some kilos of fruit.
The plants are treated with several chemical products to avoid plant diseases, I think that a plant cannot be treated at least in the last month before collectig, but you could get some digestive problems.
What is the typical harvest time?

They are not tasty
nah, go ahead and pick them. harvest is over and the ones left are just rotting. differnt story in august/september

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for your comments. I did not know about this practice of cutting off grapes in case of overcharged plants and of leaving them on the ground. I also did not know that local people used to collect the leftovers to make wine themselves. All this is interesting to know.

When I walked through the Bordeaux area I was amazed to see that the grapes were harvested with the help of a machine - it looked like a small tractor with brushes. In La Rioja, I did not see this, I suppose that the harvesting is done largely through manual work?

BTW, I know that in some wine growing areas elsewhere, the vinyards are actually off limits for walkers during vintage time, i.e. the paths near or through the vinyards are closed for walkers.

In La Rioja harvest is made both ways, with machines, many of new fields are with the new system some metallic posts ans wired prepared to be harvested with machines and to be watered. It gives high production so they must discharge the plant. This system is called "espaldera" this system is applied in big and plane fields. In old small fields in hillsides the follow the traditional method "en vaso" harvest is manual. Harvest in minor but let to classify bunches to get a better wine. This wineyards are not watered, his only water is rain.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think the attitudes vary from country to country. In my European country that is not Spain nor US the law (written, not just tradition) is that first its not allowed to build or plant so that the shadow covers neighbors land and second if there are branches leaning over into neighboring territory, all the fruit are free to take. Even the branches may be cut off. The same if the branches lean over into public territory, road e.g., everybody may take the fruit.
More or less than in Spain, but it must be clearly out of the property for example crossing the outer side of a wall

Here's a sign from the Via Della Costa, in the Cinque Terra. It reminds me of a marine biology lab my sister used to work in. Every tank of lobsters had a sign "Warning! These Lobsters have been treated with Radioactive Tracers!" It was rarely true, but it kept people from stealing the lobsters.

grapes7.JPG

They are not tasty
Today I passed through vineyards on the Camino where grapes were lying on the ground. I asked the farmer (who happened to be nearby) why they were there. As I understood his answer, the farmers have a quota that they can't exceed, so those grapes would not be used.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There was a lot of harvesting being completed when I was there in the first half of October. On more than one occassion I was offered a few bunches and they were quite wonderful. I usually asked in my broken Spanish if it was a good year for grapes and got a typical farmer answer of yes and no :)

For those (like me) who are crazy about fresh produce and want to try the local harvest, I strongly recommend a visit to the fresh food market in Santiago, the Mercado de Abastos, Rua das Ameas. It is the perfect place to celebrate with a good binge - we had wonderful figs, cheese, Spanish melon, grapes.....

There is no doubt that some farmers would be okay with folks picking up fallen produce but it is not a good idea to assume that it is okay with all of them. In northern Spain most of the farms are small, family farms. Some of them have posted signs, unfortunately only in Spanish, that say "Prohibido robar fruta." You can always buy local fruit at the tiendas and you will be helping out these farmers. I remember growing up near apple orchards that had signs saying that apples were available for sale at the store; please do not steal them.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Unfortunately there are mixed messages out there. 'Someone' said that the farmers purposely leave the outer row of grapes for the pilgrims. I never helped myself because I just wasn't sure the message was accurate…..it's like the old 'whisper' game; you start with one word and end up with something totally different than what was first said….however I did have one lovely elderly farmer had me a fistful of fresh figs! How sweet was that!

Don't pick any fruit unless expressively invited to do so. It really is as easy as this. Buen Camino, SY

I walked the Camino Frances in Sept/Oct. I was fortunate enough to stop and chat with a farmer ( in Spanish). He was so upset that his vines were being plucked by multiple people.

I saw MANY people fill plastic bags with grapes and eat them later at albergues. I never took fruit unless offered. My heart went out to the farmer who was seeing his grapes being picked. Often people picked bunches, ate a few and tossed them on the ground.

€149,-

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back