• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Easter in Irun

boxbeetle

Time of past OR future Camino
del Norte (April/May 2022)
Hello All,
I arrive late the day before Easter in San Sebastian. I am leaving from Irun easter morning. I am hoping to attend an Easter Mass either in Irun or San Sebastian before I leave and am wondering whether anyone can make suggestions. I have split the walk from Irun to San Sebastian into two days so that I can have the leisure to attend something. Thanks!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There's a 9 am mass at the Parish of Santa Maria del Juncal, 1.5km from the albergue. There is also the Guadelupe Shrine, 4km along the Camino toward San Juan de Pasaia, but I have no idea what the hours are. Another possibility is the Church of Saint John, in San Juan de Pasaia/Donibane Pasaia which is 17km out of Irun-- again, I have no idea of what service hours might be, but if you arrive there about 10 or 11 (not impossible if you start quite early) then you'll likely land in the middle of the parish mass. It's possible that the turismo (turismoapasaia@oarsoaldea.eus) might have an idea of mass times.

I'll wager that pilgrims coming off the trail into Easter mass will be well-received. San Juan de P is a delightful little village and highly recommended for a stop. The albergue is small but looks comfortable. Senora Ione kept a lovely pension (Txurdin) quite close to the albergue, but I am unable to figure out if it is still open in the post-pandemic period-- the number is +34 685 47 57 33 and she is on WhatsApp -- she speaks no English so you might want to plan your conversation carefully beforehand or have a hispanophone friend call. I understand that there is AirBnB accommodation in the village but, after checking, only one of the 4 available has an opening for Easter, which is an insane travel period for the Spanish.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There's a 9 am mass at the Parish of Santa Maria del Juncal, 1.5km from the albergue. There is also the Guadelupe Shrine, 4km along the Camino toward San Juan de Pasaia, but I have no idea what the hours are. Another possibility is the Church of Saint John, in San Juan de Pasaia/Donibane Pasaia which is 17km out of Irun-- again, I have no idea of what service hours might be, but if you arrive there about 10 or 11 (not impossible if you start quite early) then you'll likely land in the middle of the parish mass. It's possible that the turismo (turismoapasaia@oarsoaldea.eus) might have an idea of mass times.

I'll wager that pilgrims coming off the trail into Easter mass will be well-received. San Juan de P is a delightful little village and highly recommended for a stop. The albergue is small but looks comfortable. Senora Ione kept a lovely pension (Txurdin) quite close to the albergue, but I am unable to figure out if it is still open in the post-pandemic period-- the number is +34 685 47 57 33 and she is on WhatsApp -- she speaks no English so you might want to plan your conversation carefully beforehand or have a hispanophone friend call. I understand that there is AirBnB accommodation in the village but, after checking, only one of the 4 available has an opening for Easter, which is an insane travel period for the Spanish.
thank you so much for this.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.