• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Equipment for the Trek

Cjhubbs97

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer and Fall 2016
Hey Guys,
So before I ask my million and one questions about gear and such for hiking the Camino I want to take a minute to describe myself. Currently, I'm a highschool junior whose spent the past year like many of my 'kind' lol trying to think about what I would like to do once I graduate. Although I do believe I have thought a decent amount about what careers I would like to get into and my journey through college, I have realized that I owe it too myself to take a step back and find myself and where I would like to go without the distractions of everyday life for a time. I've decided I'm going to take a gap year between my highschool graduation and college to spend time and walk the Camino. Interestingly, I have found other teenagers my age with an interest in going on the Camino and we kind of have decided to group up and help fund-raise together and to allow us all to go. Of course after reading many of the topics on here about travelling with friends, I understand even more then I did before to stress that this is a personal journey and while we may help each other get onto the Camino we are not bound to walk with each other on the Camino itself most especially not constantly the whole entire way.

Anyways though I better cut to the chase or I'll really get rambling. Although I have been looking around on here for helpful information of equipment that will be needed for walking the Camino I still have some questions. I have very little backpacking experience up to this point so I was wondering if you all had suggestions for resources on the topic such as books? I also was wondering what you all consider would be the most expensive items and the most important ones you will need to accomplish the Camino (hiking boots, backpacks etc)?Lastly, I was wondering if you all thought it would be pointless to try and bring backpacking tents along with us as a means to save money because of the extra weight? Thanks so much for the help.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Most expensive items are going to be your backpack itself and perhaps footwear, depending on your preference.
Tent? If one wanted to, one could camp outside instead of staying in albergues for most, if not all the Camino. And of course you would save money that way. A lot of ultralight backpacking tents these days. In fact they make really light and small self-standing ones designed for one person. That itself though, could be expensive to buy.
Lots of books on walking the Camino. Do a web search and there may even be one on camping the whole route.

Thanks so much for the help Mark Lee I really appreciate it! Makes sense that the backpack and footwear would be the most expensive items one would need to get, as they seem to be some of the most important in terms of comfort on the long journey. Talking with my friends they were thinking of camping as a means to save money, which I agree is a great idea. My only concern about camping is that I want to emphasize with my friends that while we may be helping each other to get to the Camino we are not bound to be with each other. Some of them mentioned having two person tents and I am thinking that may be unwise especially knowing we all may very well ahve different walking paces. So I'm assuming it would be wise to stress that while staying in albergues versus camping is a personal choice it wouldn't be prudent for one to rely on another person for lodging in the case of having one person carrying the tent? How much money do you find an average albergue costs a night and I'm assuming those found in France would be more expensive then in Spain?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
What you "need" is minimal. A pack (40-60 litres), comfortable shoes and a few clothes - very few - one set for walking, one set for when you are washing the walking clothes. Something to keep you dry when it is raining. Something to keep you warm when it is cold. Europe is closely settled and you will be walking from village to village, with a bed and food never more than a few hours away. There are shops along the way that sell everything you need. It is not backcountry hiking. You don't "need" a tent or boots or poles or electronics or a knife or the kitchen sink. But if your heart desires those things, that is fine. We all take some of those things and we each have things we treasure on Camino.
There are lists galore on this forum. Have a search and see what others are taking and the comments in regard to those lists.
Before you get into an orgy of buying, read a few books and blogs about the Camino experience and look at the videos and pictures. There are many links on this forum. Read and look at those.

As you start to find what you need by way of clothing, start checking thrift stores. With a little patience and regular visits, you can accumulate the kind of clothing you'll need. Probably the biggest thing to be aware of is to avoid cotton clothing. Modern backpacking clothing will cost, but is definitely worth it, especially if you can get it at 80% off at a thrift store.

Cjhubbs97,

Welcome to the Forum!

Your idea of taking a year to explore between high school and college sounds GREAT! On the Forum you'll find lots of tips and advice about what to buy or not and how to prepare. Peruse them all and then choose for yourself.

Here are separate earlier Forum posts tagged camping and another Forum thread with more camping info.

As an 'oldie' to a 'newbie' I highly suggest that for basic backpacking info and pure enjoyment you read The Man Who Walked Through Time by Colin Fletcher. In addition his Complete Walker still offers many helpful tips. Just Google his name for more info.

When I was 16 I bicycled across the US and Canada. That journey began a love of independent travel that has lasted a lifetime. At 65 in 2004 I first walked the Camino Frances from the French border to Santiago; now at 75 I am still doing it. Peruse my blog Camino Gazetteer for more info.

May you, too, enjoy a lifetime of pleasure in walking!

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
'... start checking thrift stores. With a little patience and regular visits, you can accumulate the kind of clothing you'll need.'
I agree with Koilife. I constantly check charity/thrift shops for lightweight camino-wear. I'm slightly mystified by all the brand names recommended on the forum, when I google their prices! Having said that, I've an 'accumulation' of not-quite-as-light shirts, fleeces and hiking pants. But they have meant retail therapy, small charitable donations and extended wardrobe choices--and another satisfaction in my camino obsession!
I see the quote from Blessed Junípero (why hasn't he been canonised yet??)--I'm sure he would advise looking back, to view the beauty behind him in the California mission country--or if he had been walking on the Camino Francés at sunrise!

Thank you so much koilife, mspath, and Silverton, I really appreciate all the help! The thrift store idea sounds like a great one especially since I doubt I will have as much money as I would like too and neither will my 'comrades'. It definitely is interesting trying to plan a Camino trip with other people insofar as raising funds together to try and help alleviate everyone’s costs, this is definitely the first trip, or pilgrimage, that we have worked together raising funds understanding and knowing that we will not be 'bound at the hip' so to speak on the journey itself. At the moment I'm trying to wrap my head around the general cost of more expensive equipment because that is going to be our first target for fund-raising. Thanks so much for the links on camping I'll have to go take a look at those. I was wondering what you all suggest as far as hiking packs go most especially how large do you think is neccesary (I've read 20, 30,40,50 and all the way to 60)? I have taken a look at quite a number of different ones suggested in posts on this forum and in youtube videos; however, I'm still not sure what the general price I should expect for a good backpack (granted thats probably contingent on the size of the pack too)? Thanks for the help!

Before buying packs you will have to decide if you are going to camp or not. That will have a significant affect on pack size. I'd do quite some research before committing to camping; you will have significantly more capital equipment to buy and carry and it may not be the best option. Camping in France is only going to be possible in formal camping grounds; some can be quite expensive. Consider the gîtes de étapes first.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Try shopping at yard sales--I have about 18 different backpacks and bought most for $3 to $5 at yard sales. Lot of Backpackers quit after one hike in bad weather! See lot of young backpackers saving money by buying Military Surplus Packs. Clothes--bought several pants with zip off legs for $2 or $3 at Second Hand stores like Goodwill. I generally buy used clothes for a dollar or so for my trips and give them away before returning home. Boots/shoes are another story--everyone has their own opinion--expensive does not equal good, e.g. My Kmart sneakers feel much more comfortable than my Keens. Try several types.

Try to shop at second hand stores near big hospitals as Doctors seem to donate very high quality used hiking clothes that are almost new!

Good for you for taking time to consider your options. I don't know if yer American or not but in so many other parts of the world young folks take a gap year to do what you propose. Americans are too busy planning their "get rich quick" scheme. Granted not all of them but it's what our current social and cultural paradigm promotes.
In terms of stuff. Here is a good rule to live by, "Less is more". You would be amazed at all the crap that one can survive without.... Good shoes the most important piece of gear you own (not necessarily boots either). A sturdy sole is the most important part of any walking shoe. If it's a choice between half size too small and half size too big. Go with too big you're feet will swell. Also, any shoe or boot should be comfortable out of the box. Anyone who tries to tell you you need to break em in, is full of it and you should run away quickly.
Osprey builds excellent entry level packs. Here are some rules when considering size: It needs to fit well AND. Can you easily put it in the overhead shelf on a bus? That means compact and easily managed. There are the "ABCs" of packing. Accessibility, Balance (fore and aft, left and right) and Compression (does everything stay put when the pack shifts on your body). Could you wear it if you were hopping on a bus that started moving before you were fully aboard and not fall off? Sounds ridiculous I know but that actually happened to me in Latin America many years ago. A crowded bus at a highway stop. I was the last one on and barely had both feet on the first step and one hand on the hand rail when the bus lurched forward. I had been travelling for 2 years and had a pretty small pack. I'm sure if the pack had been any heavier I would have fallen onto the pavement at a pretty good speed.
Lastly, if you are afraid of losing "it", leave "it" home. With the exception of course of passport and money.
Good luck and have fun.
Robin

Re Robin's reply above about losing balance while pack is on back. Was thinking of taking quick release shoulder straps off a US Army ALICE pack and putting them on a civilian backpack. Always wondered why no civilian packs have quick release pulls on shoulder straps. Made for getting out of pack quickly in combat but are really useful just to get out of any pack at anytime.

BTW in Latin America these days a lot of travelers buy chicken wire inserts for their packs to stop thieves from just cutting open their backpacks to steal items.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions! I have been talking with my comrades over here and we have decided that the first thing we need to decide is what routes we would like to take. Once we decide how we are going to walk to Santiago it seems that deciding when we walk, if we camp and thus our decisions for backpacks and other equipment will fall naturally into place. We have roughly two years to go before our camino so there is no extreme rush on our end, although I will say my impatience for the pilgrimage is already growing at a steady pace. The biggest reason we need to start planning now really is funds though so it is better that we give ourselves ample time to work and raise the amount of money we will need for the trip. Great advice on the backpacks and inserts, I will have to copy those over into the document I am working on with all the general information on our pilgrimage. I have to thank you all for your great help, planning this trip definitely feels very daunting at times and I will admit that at being only 17 years of age my inexperience is a bit of an obstacle, but your advice and help is really making this seem manageable for me. I must thank you all for that! Who knows maybe I can convince some more of my fellow American teenagers to not rush right into college and take that year in between school to walk the Camino, maybe it will help them from hastily going into college and picking a degree that in the end will be of no use them which unfortunately seems to happen all to often most especially in this day and age.

Re Robin's reply above about losing balance while pack is on back. Was thinking of taking quick release shoulder straps off a US Army ALICE pack and putting them on a civilian backpack. Always wondered why no civilian packs have quick release pulls on shoulder straps. Made for getting out of pack quickly in combat but are really useful just to get out of any pack at anytime.

BTW in Latin America these days a lot of travelers buy chicken wire inserts for their packs to stop thieves from just cutting open their backpacks to steal items.
I think I see where you are going with quick release tags, but wonder if at the point that you are losing your balance, you will want to be using your hands to protect yourself when falling. I'm not sure there would be time to fiddle with the QR tags.

As an aside, I am getting the view from your posts that Latin America is full of preening show ponies and thieves. I seem to remember from my travels there a decade or so ago now that there were mainly nice, real people along the west coast places that I visited. Has it really changed that much?

What you "need" is minimal. A pack (40-60 litres), comfortable shoes and a few clothes - very few - one set for walking, one set for when you are washing the walking clothes. Something to keep you dry when it is raining. Something to keep you warm when it is cold. Europe is closely settled and you will be walking from village to village, with a bed and food never more than a few hours away. There are shops along the way that sell everything you need. It is not backcountry hiking. You don't "need" a tent or boots or poles or electronics or a knife or the kitchen sink. But if your heart desires those things, that is fine. We all take some of those things and we each have things we treasure on Camino.
There are lists galore on this forum. Have a search and see what others are taking and the comments in regard to those lists.
Before you get into an orgy of buying, read a few books and blogs about the Camino experience and look at the videos and pictures. There are many links on this forum. Read and look at those.
Hi - I agree with Kanga, and would like to add that you should start walking/hiking if you haven't yet, using what you have (sneakers, trail running shoes, hiking boots, whatever, a back pack you use for school) and see what you think the pros and cons are. Don't go buying things just yet, six months from now you may change your mind on what you really need, or what works or doesn't work for you. I was short on funds when I did it last year, making do with gear I already had (a 40 year old pack which still performed just fine), buying wind pants and sealable stuff sacks at Walmart ($7 for 3, one of the best things I brought with me), and hitting up the thrift stores. Albergues in Spain run E5-15 a night, usually less than 10, and if you cook that will bring down your cost. And dinner does not have to be cooked - cheese, crackers, a tomato and some fruit work just fine. Experiment with easy one pot few ingredients meals at home - your mother will love it if you make her dinner (start on Mother's Day!). You have plenty of time to fantasize and plan this trip - enjoy it, keep reading this forum, and ask questions - none are too silly, we've all asked them - it will help you immensely. Buen camino - Cherry

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for the advice cherrys. Yeah I definitely don't plan of buying the equipment for some time now, but I want to get a general idea for how much money I'm going to need to attain for the equipment itself. I am hoping once I finally have a general plan finalized, I will be able to convince my parish priest to allow me to ask for alms, all in the pilgrim spirit yes :). I definitely won't do that before I am able to tell everyone what exactly I plan to do and what they're money would be going towards. Yeah I really should start walking now. I'm for all intensive purposes a 'twig' at 17 years old I weigh 128 pounds (have barely gained any weight for the past two years) and am 5 ft. 9 inches tall. One thing that seems to concern my mom is that I really need to prepare for walking such a long journey because with myself in my current condition she thinks it could be dangerous for my health (losing weight wouldn't be good for me). So I guess, do you all have advice for gaining some weight healthily (muscle weight) and prepping for the Camino?

Light weight equipment is essential and you can spend a little or a lot. It's up to you. I got gear at REI garage sales. I use a 40 liter Osprey, it weighs less than a kilo. My bag is a 2 season bag with a liner that makes it a 3 season bag, 1 kilo, and I can use it as a blanket if its warm. I carry a ultra light air mattress just in case, 1 half kilo. I wear 1 set of quick drying clothes and carry a extra set. 3 pair of wool socks,. I wear 1 and carry 2 dry pair. 1 pair of ultra light Merrill's for after daily trekking, rain gear, I use a front zip poncho, all toll 4 kilos. Toiletries and medium size quick dry towel and 1 small first aid kit, 1 kilo. That's what I consider the bear minimum. Add to that your camera, IPad, IPod, trekking poles, hat, medications for duration of travels, important papers, phone, chargers for all, food for a day, water, and travel guides, it all adds up.

The experts recommend 1 pound per 10 pounds of body weight and that is easy to do. However, the other 15 pounds gear you just have to have will be carried in your pockets and tied on the outside of your pack. there's a old expression, young people have strong backs and weak minds. The fact your doing the Camino tells me you do not have a weak mind. You state your small and your mother is worried about the stress of walking the Camino. Well I have seen 70 + year old ladies who might weigh 90 pounds soaking wet walk away from other walkers and did it carrying their homes on their back. By you post, you will be what 18 or 19 when you do your Camino, I drought that you will have any problems even if your gear is heaver that recommended.

As to adding muscle mass. There is only one way to gain it and that is by exercising. Fat is not muscle and unhealthy Period. Some people can eat like a horse and exercise like crazy and never gain a pound. I have always been chunky and have had to struggle with my weight, and truth be told, I'm jealous.

Buen Camino Urban Trekker

They don't put them on civilian packs because civilians don't carry 100 pound packs and get into fire fights.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
First of all - enjoy your planning:)

I think it's great that you're planning to take a gap year. So far I've not met anyone that said "I really regretted taking a gap year".

Many of the equipment questions/answers here deal directly with the Camino. However, if you're taking a year out, you might also have to consider how that equipment will fit in with the rest of your year.

I use 2 different packs for walking; an Osprey Kestrel 38 if I'm just walking and not doing anything else either side. If I'm doing other things, too, I use a Karrimor 50-70 Global which has a daypack. It's a heavier pack, but I find it really comfortable so it does not bother me. The Karrimor allows me to bring everything that I need for extended travel, and if I do a hike/walk I've always been able to leave "surplus" gear with a hostel or a WWOOF/helpx host which I can then collect later or arrange to have posted.

Sometimes I look at new gear available, and think "ooooh, I'd really like that". Until I realize that I can make do with what I already have, and that the money spent on new gear will allow me another 1-4 weeks on the road. Apart from backpack/sleeping bag, there are few things that one "needs" on either the Camino or for traveling that you do not use in your daily life.

As has been mentioned above, flea markets, yard sales, charity shops/2nd hand shops, ebay can all be great places to pick up gear.

Best of luck:)

Dougfitz--Latin America has not changed --still full of real nice people but also still full of very poor people. A backpack may be worth a years wages to some poor people and lot of travelers--including me--have packs disappear or have packs cut open while under bus seats while other passengers watch and say nothing. People will throw a tourists back pack out of a bus window and then deny doing so as bus continues down the road. Example of how things work--Had camera stolen in capitol of Bolivia on a Thursday; reported theft to Police Friday morning; Was told to come back on Monday as they had no paper to type up report; was told after report was typed I would have to wait until Wednesday to have report stamped by Police chief. There were at least 5 other backpackers at Police station with me getting the same story about their losses. And travel insurance will NOT reimburse losses without Police report. Still go back but watch my gear.

Thanks for the advice cherrys. Yeah I definitely don't plan of buying the equipment for some time now, but I want to get a general idea for how much money I'm going to need to attain for the equipment itself. I am hoping once I finally have a general plan finalized, I will be able to convince my parish priest to allow me to ask for alms, all in the pilgrim spirit yes :). I definitely won't do that before I am able to tell everyone what exactly I plan to do and what they're money would be going towards. Yeah I really should start walking now. I'm for all intensive purposes a 'twig' at 17 years old I weigh 128 pounds (have barely gained any weight for the past two years) and am 5 ft. 9 inches tall. One thing that seems to concern my mom is that I really need to prepare for walking such a long journey because with myself in my current condition she thinks it could be dangerous for my health (losing weight wouldn't be good for me). So I guess, do you all have advice for gaining some weight healthily (muscle weight) and prepping for the Camino?
Hi again. That was what I weighed when I left, and was 67 years old. I weighed 117 when I came home. To get in shape for the camino, walk. Walk to school and back if you can, at least on nice days, walk errands, etc. From your picture I'm guessing that you live in the Northwest?? You have plenty of great places to walk there. A lot of the CF is on narrow paved roads, a lot on pleasant paths, the smaller but always steeper up or down parts on rocky paths, or, if it's raining hard, rocky "stream beds". So you don't really have to go into the mountains for a lot of your walking. The other part of getting in shape - stretching and being limber is really good, having good muscle tone in your calves and thighs to absorb all the downhill pounding and uphill slogs. If you also can lift weights a bit (not the jock type of thing) it will build up upper body strength which helps with a pack on your shoulders, providing better balance and control of your footing going down some of those steeper trails. And of course eat healthy foods and get in the habit of drinking plenty of water. At least all this seems to make sense to me. I didn't train as much as I meant to - getting my daughter off to college, life in general - all took their toll on time. And I finally decided to go only 5 weeks before I left. So you have plenty of time. Tell your mother not to worry - there are a lot of mothers and grandmothers on the path if you need them. And other teenagers too - I met a group from a college in southern N. Hampshire - they were hiking by themselves, meeting up with their professor in the evenings. Depending on where you do live, you and your mother might be able to meet up in person with someone else on this forum who can help ease her mind - Cherry

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks so much for all your replies, they're greatly appreciated. Glad to hear gap years are well received by those who take them, I know at this point I can't wait for mine so I can hardly imagine what it actually is like. Those packs look great, I'm starting to get a general idea for the cost of them which is helpful. I'm curious though how much would you all spend for a new 30 or 40 liter pack? The group as a whole is going to be raising money for the cost of everyones equipment, train fares, help with airfare and everything else will be added to the money they will have to walk. Thats why I'm try to find a general amount of money you would need for equipment. Right now it sounds like the most expensive things one would buy are your pack and your footwear for walking the Camino. Do you think $500 per person would be enough to buy most of the equipment one would need for the Camino or do you think that would be too high/low? Glad to hear others of similar size have walked, at least now I can convince mom that if I train properly and eat properly while walking I'll be fine. I'm actually from the North East, N. Hampshire to be exact. I've heard from my friends from the Pacific North West that the East Coast is similar in climate to the North West just a little drier. I'm definitely going to start training now, that way I can make sure I get into shape by the time I go (and it presents a nice hobby which I've been looking for).

Thanks so much for all your replies, they're greatly appreciated. Glad to hear gap years are well received by those who take them, I know at this point I can't wait for mine so I can hardly imagine what it actually is like. Those packs look great, I'm starting to get a general idea for the cost of them which is helpful. I'm curious though how much would you all spend for a new 30 or 40 liter pack? The group as a whole is going to be raising money for the cost of everyones equipment, train fares, help with airfare and everything else will be added to the money they will have to walk. Thats why I'm try to find a general amount of money you would need for equipment. Right now it sounds like the most expensive things one would buy are your pack and your footwear for walking the Camino. Do you think $500 per person would be enough to buy most of the equipment one would need for the Camino or do you think that would be too high/low? Glad to hear others of similar size have walked, at least now I can convince mom that if I train properly and eat properly while walking I'll be fine. I'm actually from the North East, N. Hampshire to be exact. I've heard from my friends from the Pacific North West that the East Coast is similar in climate to the North West just a little drier. I'm definitely going to start training now, that way I can make sure I get into shape by the time I go (and it presents a nice hobby which I've been looking for).
Hi yet again - I've done a lot of hiking in the White Mountains. Glad to hear you're going to start training. Here's a quick breakdown on money. I spent about $700 on airfare from NYC , with frequent flyer miles for one leg. Think I spent about $160 on trains from Paris to St. Jean, and from Santiago to Madrid. I just bought new Merrell boots for $90 at EMS, and it seems like you can get a very nice pack for under a hundred. Some were around $60-80. Spent $38 on hiking poles on Amazon, but you're young, you probably don't need them. Poncho or raincoat is a big debate. I had a raincoat, but ponchos are cheaper. Saw one for $15 at Target the other day. Socks, shorts, etc, really won't add up to too much, that's where thrift stores, etc come in. Bring a very light nylon day pack to keep with you at all times and for grocery shopping, etc. Your only other expense will be a sleeping bag, probably get the lightest one you can, don't know about any good/cheap options right now. In all, with airfare, but not including equipment, most of which I had had for years, I spent $1800 on the trip, and I bought a new pair of boots mid camino ($40) and stayed at a hotel for 2 nights with my step sister in Santiago. If I had cooked more, I could have spent less, but since I was by myself, it was more fun to get the pilgrim menu (which occasionally at an out of the way albergue is the only choice), usually around 10 euro, and eat with others. Enjoy your planning - Cherry

Most read last week in this forum

I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
Hi, I'm off to CDN tomorrow but this is in my mind. I got the baggage transfer from from Correos and I will going to walk from Irun to Llanes this time, so my plan is to carry a 22lts day pack and...
I typically wash my clothes by hand with a bar of Lagarto soap. It’s non-chemical and is the soap I was introduced to back in Spain in the 70s. When you wash clothes by hand, you typically rub...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.