• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Essential clothing (men only)

Kanga

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
I've just read today's fashionista article which details the only ten essential clothing/accessory items for any man. It simplifies the whole "packing list" dilemma if you stick to these:

(1) A beautiful leather travel bag
(2) An expensive watch
(3) A bow tie
(4) A blazer
(5) A dress shirt
(6) A pocket square
(7) A three piece suit (I think that is cheating, but let's accept it for now)
(8) An overcoat
(9) Dress shoes
(10) A tuxedo.

Personally I'm not keen on men "going commando" and would also suggest some undies, but I'm a puritan.

Anyone willing to give it a try?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hmmm sounds like St James Way in a Tuxedo Phillip Winterberg's witty, entertaining and very useful book on the accessory sport of acquiring gear for the Camino :cool:

I'm guessing the tux, dress shirt and bow tie are your evening wear, so what do you wear with your 3-piece? You might get away without a tie, but you'll need a shirt of some sort. And if you already have a 3-piece and a tux, why even bother with the blazer?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Kanga - I am really worried now, and will have to totally rewrite my 'packing list'.
I have never, ever considered "Dress shoes" for walking over those mountain passes. How silly of me.
My 60L back-pack has now gone to the local charity shop, and I'll buy a beautiful leather travel bag. They don't let back-packs into the Cathedral any more, but they will surely let me in with a beautiful leather travel bag :D.
You do realise, don't you, that as a "Moderator" we believe everything you say and suggest?
This was me in 1968. Will I do?
1960s005.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've just read today's fashionista article which details the only ten essential clothing/accessory items for any man. It simplifies the whole "packing list" dilemma if you stick to these:

(2) An expensive watch
(3) A bow tie
(4) A blazer
(5) A dress shirt
(6) A pocket square
(8) An overcoat
(9) Dress shoes
(10) A tuxedo.

Personally I'm not keen on men "going commando" and would also suggest some undies, but I'm a puritan.

One of the brothers in the disfunctional French family depicted in the film Saint-Jacques La Mecque wears a suit which progressively gets more and more wrinkled/dirty as he walks the camino from Le Puy.

Nevertheless the movie is delightful in the road-film tradition. It follows a truly mixed group of pilgrims on a guided camino from Le Puy en Velay to Saint Jacques de Compostela. Including another brother and a sister in the same disfunctional family; the three hate each other yet must walk together in order to receive their inheritance. As well two young French-born Arab boys also are on the camino believing mistakenly that it leads to Mecca. The scenery is great and the situations amusing. Any viewer who has been a pilgrim will recognize the depicted traits both good and bad of fellow pilgrims. Happily after all is said and done the final shot might be titled "...all you need is love and a washing machine!".

Last edited:
I walked with that and I'm sorry to say that one more item is needed. Some of the towns did not have a shoe shine and so it is essential to carry your own kit to give your dress shoes a polishing before passing through. I did not find the undies as essential as the bowtie. The watch only has to look expensive.

A few years ago some runners ran the NY Marathon in Rockport dress shoes (they market a line that is a cross between dress and athletic). I would never do it, but without a doubt one could walk the entire CF wearing said dress shoes, some slacks, button up shirt and a blazer. Not the most practical attire for it, but is doable for sure.
I've mentioned it on here before, last year on the CF I saw a young pilgrim walk the whole Way wearing polo shirts, dress style shorts and canvas deck shoes.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The fashionable well dressed male pilgrim ... For this special day no less

Day 1 ... and day 30

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    21.1 KB · Views: 18
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

(2) An expensive watch
(3) A bow tie
(4) A blazer
(5) A dress shirt
(6) A pocket square
(8) An overcoat
(9) Dress shoes
(10) A tuxedo.

Sounds like "Downton Abbey Does the Camino".

Sounds like "Downton Abbey Does the Camino".
Watched all the seasons of Downton Abbey and always loved the fact that Julian Fellowes made sure the characters walked a lot showing that they were much more accustomed t0 walking than their counterparts 100 years later. To the village, to other areas of their properties, to church...upstairs and down.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

(2) An expensive watch
(3) A bow tie
(4) A blazer
(5) A dress shirt
(6) A pocket square
(8) An overcoat
(9) Dress shoes
(10) A tuxedo.

I'll give it a go but I don't think my dog robber is going to be too happy.

...or you might dress in a kilt. In that way you need no undies at all, as" it daesn´ae need anythin underneeth´, otherwise it´s a skirt !!"

Choose the filleadh mhòr or the great kilt with a full length of garment. In this way you´ll do away with both the tux and the three piece suit,
- and the sleeping bag !!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

(2) An expensive watch
(3) A bow tie
(4) A blazer
(5) A dress shirt
(6) A pocket square
(8) An overcoat
(9) Dress shoes
(10) A tuxedo.

Obvious spoof - a well dressed gentleman wouldn't wear a bow tie with a blazer, he'd wear a cravat!

images

Kanga - I am really worried now, and will have to totally rewrite my 'packing list'.
I have never, ever considered "Dress shoes" for walking over those mountain passes. How silly of me.
My 60L back-pack has now gone to the local charity shop, and I'll buy a beautiful leather travel bag. They don't let back-packs into the Cathedral any more, but they will surely let me in with a beautiful leather travel bag :D.
You do realise, don't you, that as a "Moderator" we believe everything you say and suggest?
This was me in 1968. Will I do?
View attachment 24897

So THAT's what happend to Englebert!

I think it's the 10% rule that made them skip the underwear.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@jirit love the before and after shots. I'd forgotten that touch in the film, @mspath - I just loved the first day when his backpack is so huge it pulls him over!

I may add a gray 150 wool dress pants as a minimum (just something to go with the blazer)

zzotte

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

(2) An expensive watch
(3) A bow tie
(4) A blazer
(5) A dress shirt
(6) A pocket square
(8) An overcoat
(9) Dress shoes
(10) A tuxedo.

????????????

Hmmm sounds like St James Way in a Tuxedo Phillip Winterberg's witty, entertaining and very useful book on the accessory sport of acquiring gear for the Camino :cool:
Of course you need your "Tux" - how else will you get a table at the main restaurant section in the Parador in Leon or Santiago??? (just kidding!)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

(2) An expensive watch
(3) A bow tie
(4) A blazer
(5) A dress shirt
(6) A pocket square
(8) An overcoat
(9) Dress shoes
(10) A tuxedo.

Posted April 1st!

Boxers...not briefs
Levi 501 or wrangler boot cuts with a razor sharp crease.
Leather belt.
A starched Brush Popper shirt...(color selection and pattern..or not) seems genetic in choices of..

Boots, either, roper or roach stomper.
Thin dress socks.
Or
Lace up work boots in leather with a traction sole for heavy weather days.

A carhartt canvas over shirt, or light jacket for supper
A duster and Stetson hat (20x or above thank you) for those evenings in acceptable company.
A watch their Grand dad passed down.

A fold up multi blade pocket knife usually passed down by dads

Reading glasses, polarised sun glasses
A hankie discreetly carried in case old yeller happens to be on the tube.

A pocket comb
A class ring from the old alma mater
An arrow head from his trucks key fob
A little bible by hos heart.

That, is what a gentleman carries and wears on a long trip.

Heaven help if he begins to feel really at home...
Sweat pants and college top
Ballcap
Mismatched socks and trainers
And a weeks worth of beard, carefully tended of course

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.