• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Men's Pants - There Can Be Only One

MichaelNW

When I walk the Camino in 2019 I wore REI Adventure Pants. They don't make them anymore and they were not perfect anyway. When I travel and hike, I try to carry as little as possible. My next Camino I am planning to go ultralight. I found that with technical pants like the REI Adventure Pants, which dry in about 15-20 minutes, there is no need to have more than one pair of pants. I have a pair of ultralight shorts to wear while they dry (in case you were worried that I was going to run around the albergue naked).

So to my question: If you were going to take only one pair of pants (no zip-offs), what would they be? Thanks!

Oh and an additional question: On the negative side - did you wear pants that were awful? Name them and why please.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
When I walk the Camino in 2019 I wore REI Adventure Pants. They don't make them anymore and they were not perfect anyway. When I travel and hike, I try to carry as little as possible. My next Camino I am planning to go ultralight. I found that with technical pants like the REI Adventure Pants, which dry in about 15-20 minutes, there is no need to have more than one pair of pants. I have a pair of ultralight shorts to wear while they dry (in case you were worried that I was going to run around the albergue naked).

So to my question: If you were going to take only one pair of pants (no zip-offs), what would they be? Thanks!
PrAna

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
On my first Camino i took the lightest long pants from Decathlon with me (which is also the cheapest).
I ended up hating it. The material, the fit. It ended up in a trash can and i bought a more sturdy one.
I recommend if you are taking only one pants you take something you like wearing since you'll be wearing it every day.
Actually, i recommend taking a short as well. It gives you a lot more flexibility and can be as little as 100g. Mine are rather sturdy and come in at only 190g.

While i applaud your intention to go as light as possible, bear in mind that there will be diminishing returns. A 3kg baseweight is not that much different to a 4kg one, but you will have to cut a lot of corners to shave that last kg. I did start last year with around 3,6kg, quite some luxury items, ended up buying an extra fleece and will in all likeliness even add an extra liner to my sleeping bag for the next trip.

CimAlp Laos. Extremely high quality materials, durable, really deep pockets (several with zipper enclosures). Plus added material on wear points.

CimAlp is a French firm and I bought mine in Paris. I believe they are also available online in the UK.

Before my purchase of these pans I had worn Mammut, North Face, Royal Robbins, and probably some other brands which I am forgetting here. The CimAlp Laos are constructed with a little heavier material than these, but since I wear shorts (also CimAlp or a Canadian brand) in warm weather, the heavier construction is not a problem.

Last edited:
Craghopper Kiwi trekking pants. Plenty of pockets with zips. Side leg pocket with partition for phone. Hard wearing, easy to wash and quick drying and well sized for trekking. From memory something near 350 g so lightweight. Used on everyone of my camino's with no complaints and no problems. Cheap to ..UK ...£25-35 from ebay etc.
My " back up" pair are Peter Storm walking trousers. Lighter in weight, thinner than the Cragg's and smaller pockets. They were discounted at £25 hence they go in the pack as reserve.
My opinion,of course, other brands available.
Don

A pair of jeans. Black.
Oh and an additional question: On the negative side - did you wear pants that were awful? Name them and why please.
Decathlon lightweight hiking trousers. They were ruined before 48 hours after setting out from home, and I needed to replace them with a pair of jeans.

Honestly, if you're comfortable wearing a particular pair or type of trousers on most or all days at home, they'll likely be fine on the Camino too.

I've seen pilgrims in shirt and suit trousers (hiking shoes rather than town ones though !! 😉 ), and they seemed perfectly happy in them.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
these dry fast.

edit: didn't realize how expensive. I may try the Craighoppers since my L are too large now.

Last edited:

PrAna Stretch Zion pants. I personally prefer the older style, but the newer is not bad. They dry fast. Basically, I wear these pants year-round.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On my first Camino i took the lightest long pants from Decathlon with me (which is also the cheapest).
I ended up hating it. The material, the fit. It ended up in a trash can and i bought a more sturdy one.
I recommend if you are taking only one pants you take something you like wearing since you'll be wearing it every day.
Actually, i recommend taking a short as well. It gives you a lot more flexibility and can be as little as 100g. Mine are rather sturdy and come in at only 190g.

While i applaud your intention to go as light as possible, bear in mind that there will be diminishing returns. A 3kg baseweight is not that much different to a 4kg one, but you will have to cut a lot of corners to shave that last kg. I did start last year with around 3,6kg, quite some luxury items, ended up buying an extra fleece and will in all likeliness even add an extra liner to my sleeping bag for the next trip.
When I walked before my bag was 5kg. I lacked for nothing and had duplicates of clothing. Since I hand-washed my worn clothing everyday, I figured the duplicate clothing is where I can shave weight. I do take a pair of shorts. The only duplicate clothing I would take would be socks, underwear and a superlight tee to wear with the shorts.

Fjallraven Abisko. Perfect for for me. They also make an abisko lite but they don’t fit as well on me. Others love them. They aren’t cheap but the durability and functionality are legendary.

Interested in what the ladies found too! I tried every brand of zip-offs and hated all of them. I ended up taking a pair from Cabela’s but because it was so low-waisted I dreaded the every other day I would wear them. Was going to donate them on my last day, so I washed them but they didn’t dry in time so I brought them home again! FWIW I’m a size 16Tall with a high waist. Ugh!! Next time I will just go with shorts only unless I find the unicorn.

LL Bean Cresta Hiking Pants. I wear one pair and keep another spare. Could get by with one, and wear skivvy shorts or rain skirt if using a tumble dryer for the 20 minute dry you want, but I almost always hang dry. These take at least an hour to dry in good breeze and sunshine after hand wringing. Non-zip weight is 330 to 345 grams. I originally used the zip off version, but zipper adds 25 grams, cost more and makes pants more difficult to wash/ring dry. I found that using long pants keeps dirt and pebbles out of my shoes much better and obviates using sunscreen on my legs. If it rains or I want to wade, the legs can be easily rolled above the knees. 2 cargo and 2 rear pockets are large and zippered. Front pockets are very deep and easily hold .5 liter water bottles. Pants are extremely durable 95% nylon and 5% spandex; I still have the zip-off pair from a 2016 bicycle camino, 7 subsequent walking caminos and numerous other travel, hiking and biking. Downside: hand wash/ring/hang dry leaves a lot of wrinkles. Pants could use 2 more belt loops in the back.

I like the challenge of gram counting, and I find ways to lighten my pack each Camino while maintaining what I consider full comfort and moderate budget. My baseweight is presently 3.6 kg. I would be interested in your final packing list/weights.

Kuhl zip off or Normal - have used through 5 Camino’s.

SCOTTEVEST have great pants for the Camino as well as greAt vest 23 pockets to carry what you need with no worrirs

Hi,
Last walked in May wearing (for the first time) Kuhl Renegade trousers every day. They’re pricey but bombproof, mostly nylon with some added stretch, and very lightweight. They also have pockets galore that will fit your phone and other stuff you need close by in the zipped pockets.
In the past I wore Prana pants, but, though I liked their weight, I found them less sturdy; as I used them they became less and less well-defined as trousers, and more blob-like as I put them through their paces.

The Kuhl Renegades have retained their shape and are ready for more. They also look good in a nice restaurant as you’re tucking into your scallops sautéed in Albariño.

All the best,
Paul

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Union Bay (Active) pants or Outdoor Research Ferrosi (climbing pants that are lightweight, but very abrasion resistant)... carried both on the VF last June/July. Both dry very quickly, but OR pants have pockets I found to be less useful (no zippers or closures) than the Union Bay (which has three zippered pockets). Will carry them again this year on my next leg of the VF.

Also have used ExOfficio pants that have been treated with bug repellent. Great for hiking in areas where mosquitos might be a problem and very light weight/quick dry. These have zipper legs (but I do leave the bottoms at home unless I'm hiking in areas where mosquitos are a big nuisance); I don't generally like fussing with attaching/detaching the bottoms while on camino.

I carry 3 pair of shorts only. If it rains I don't have wet cloth against my skin. I am always warm because of my top layers. 2 pair of ultra light gym shorts and a little heavier pair for evenings. I'm not a big fan of pants...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
SCOTTEVEST have great pants for the Camino as well as greAt vest 23 pockets to carry what you need with no worrirs
Funny - I remember the SCOTTeVEST contest to travel for 60 days wearing only SCOTTeVEST clothes - made me wonder if anyone had ever done the same on the Camino.

Columbia Silver Ridge Cargo Pants is what I got. Nylon with pockets, much more reasonable than Duluth pants. Have worn for local hikes and they worked well. You can always wear with thermals for winter.
Columbia Silver Ridge Cargo Pants is what I got. Nylon with pockets, much more reasonable than Duluth pants. Have worn for local hikes and they worked well. You can always wear with thermals for winter.
I took silver ridge convertible pants and silver ridge cargo shorts. Started camino May 18 from SJPP. Needed the long pants for first 2 weeks in morning, was a bit cool. Last 3weeks I did not need long pants even in the morning so just used my convertible pants as shorts the rest of the way. So I was glad I had convertible pants.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Ah, pants. Knickers, boxers, briefs, y fronts, buggie smugglers, underwear (blush) but, of course, there was no coarse reference intended: you were posting about trousers.
Recommended for gentlemen, also worn by ladies and available from a variety of manufacturers in a variety of styles.

Would I recommend any particular manufacture, no. Would I condemn any, no. I would assume that my own selection was based on my obvious perspicacity. Others are free to make their own errors. No gentleman would recommend his tailor 😉

Not REI. Way too expensive. I've recently completed my second Camino in convertible hiking pants that sell for around $30. That's all you need. As far as quick dry, they are not washed often if at all.

I've always used REI Zip off pants. Curious as to why you don't want zip offs. Not critical, just curious. It would seem to save a little bit.
For me, when you take off the zip off section what is left rubs right at the knee. Kilometer after kilometer. Folding up solves that issue.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The OP:

The OP is not asking about anyone else’s love of or problems with zip offs. They just want to know what kind of *non zip-off* trousers you have worn and can recommend, or not.

Interested in what the ladies found too! I tried every brand of zip-offs and hated all of them. I ended up taking a pair from Cabela’s but because it was so low-waisted I dreaded the every other day I would wear them. Was going to donate them on my last day, so I washed them but they didn’t dry in time so I brought them home again! FWIW I’m a size 16Tall with a high waist. Ugh!! Next time I will just go with shorts only unless I find the unicorn.
I have good luck with Patagonia and Columbia zip off pants. I also am tall, thus need a long waist to crotch length, and a longish inseam, so you may need to buy men's zip off pants to get the fit you are looking for.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Whatever pants/shorts you select - don't forget to ensure that waist band can be adjusted during the Camino. I use a belt but some pants have their own.

One Pants? I thought they came in pairs :)

Samarkand.

Mountain Hardware AP pants. 2 deep front pockets, 2 back zip pockets, leg phone pocket. Roll up cuff with reflective strip for night walking. Quick dry. 5 Caminos in and still good. Can be paired with nice shirt and pass muster.

No zip offs as something goes wrong ( zipper malfunction, loss of one leg , WET) and you’re left with no alternative. Prefer Fjallraven shorts and these pants.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
LL Bean Cresta hiking pants were excellent for me during my recent Camino Portuguese. Lightweight, dried quickly, doesn’t show dirt, can wear anywhere and are very comfortable. Highly recommend!

Decathlon Forclaz mountain trekking trousers MT500. Available in trousers, zip off trouser/shorts and shorts only. Peerless. Great secure pockets. Great cut. Stretch panels where you need them. Dry in no time. Great value.

The OR zip offs are great

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Patagonia Terrebonne joggers. They're super lightweight, and hold up very well. They have been my go-to on two Caminos and a lot of backpacking trips.

I struggle too with finding Tall sizes. I took a pair of regular length Columbia PFG zip offs (almost long enough as pants, too long as shorts- not the most comfortable fit for me) and a pair of regular length REI Savanna Trail pants (super lightweight, can cinch the ankles & wear like capris- waist kept sliding down). Both dried super fast. Still searching for the perfect hiking pants!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've always used REI Zip off pants. Curious as to why you don't want zip offs. Not critical, just curious. It would seem to save a little bit.
My second Camino with same two REI zip offs. Light weight, dry fast and Cell phone pocket plus security zip pocket are all I need.

@MichaelNW
I used inexpensive Wrangler ATG. Long, 96% nylon and 4% spandex quick dry pants with regular pockets as well as two zip Cargo pockets. Very comfortable and I use them as work pants in my regular life all the time. They’re soft as opposed to crinkly. I was able to hand wash them on the camino and they’d be dry enough to wear the next morning.

I like the zipper feature because it’s difficult for them to become accidentally opened.
Also, I’m with you with a dislike of the zip off pants. I ordered and tried on three or four different pairs, and they always seem to chafe.

These pants seem to typically run about US$40 online, not sure if you’re in the US or not? Walmart sells a version of these for about $25, although I think they’re a little lower quality. They sell a version that are shorts, but I just cut off the bottoms with a scissor when I was in Spain in June when it was too hot.

They do seem to pill after about a year, though.

@MichaelNW
I used inexpensive Wrangler ATG. Long, 96% nylon and 4% spandex quick dry pants with regular pockets as well as two zip Cargo pockets. Very comfortable and I use them as work pants in my regular life all the time. They’re soft as opposed to crinkly. I was able to hand wash them on the camino and they’d be dry enough to wear the next morning.

I like the zipper feature because it’s difficult for them to become accidentally opened.
Also, I’m with you with a dislike of the zip off pants. I ordered and tried on three or four different pairs, and they always seem to chafe.

These pants seem to typically run about US$40 online, not sure if you’re in the US or not? Walmart sells a version of these for about $25, although I think they’re a little lower quality. They sell a version that are shorts, but I just cut off the bottoms with a scissor when I was in Spain in June when it was too hot.

They do seem to pill after about a year, though.
I have a pair of these that are several years old and I have worn them many times. My favorite pants. Definitely what I will take.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have a pair of these that are several years old and I have worn them many times. My favorite pants. Definitely what I will take.
They are really comfortable, aren’t they? I wear them all the time too. I actually have four pairs, and that’s what I wear most days. Great for any travel. Never would’ve bought a pair if I wasn’t going on the Camino, so it was a little side benefit.

Mier, inexpensive, super lightweight & fast drying, cargo pockets but not obvious, zippers on all pockets, ties on bottom cuffs. And can pass for dress occasions.

I have Union Bay Ranier Lightweught travel Chinos which I plan to bring in April. Quick drying, 7.8 Oz, 94% nylon, 6% spandex.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
LL Bean Cresta Hiking Pants. I wear one pair and keep another spare. Could get by with one, and wear skivvy shorts or rain skirt if using a tumble dryer for the 20 minute dry you want, but I almost always hang dry. These take at least an hour to dry in good breeze and sunshine after hand wringing. Non-zip weight is 330 to 345 grams. I originally used the zip off version, but zipper adds 25 grams, cost more and makes pants more difficult to wash/ring dry. I found that using long pants keeps dirt and pebbles out of my shoes much better and obviates using sunscreen on my legs. If it rains or I want to wade, the legs can be easily rolled above the knees. 2 cargo and 2 rear pockets are large and zippered. Front pockets are very deep and easily hold .5 liter water bottles. Pants are extremely durable 95% nylon and 5% spandex; I still have the zip-off pair from a 2016 bicycle camino, 7 subsequent walking caminos and numerous other travel, hiking and biking. Downside: hand wash/ring/hang dry leaves a lot of wrinkles. Pants could use 2 more belt loops in the back.

I like the challenge of gram counting, and I find ways to lighten my pack each Camino while maintaining what I consider full comfort and moderate budget. My baseweight is presently 3.6 kg. I would be interested in your final packing list/weights.

I really like the idea of a looser pant that can be rolled up easy in the rain. that just makes sense.

I am right with you at 3.8kg

As you will see from reading this, it is an individual like. What suits one person does not suit another. Just get whatever you feel suits you.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.