Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

Estimated time to bike from SJPDP to Roncesvalles?

Mrhighland

Past OR future Camino
Starting my Camino Frances by bike on September 23 (2018j
Hi l’m Daniel, i’m from Sweden and I’ starting my Camino on sunday Sep 23 in SJPDP. I will bike the Camino alone!
I’m arriving in SJPDP with the motning train från Bayonne. I will then pick up my bike and make sure everything fits and works as it should. After making the panniers balanced and enyoying a smal meal I plan to head out on the Camino. How far will a get starting at noon? Which route is suitable and how long time would it take to get to Roncesvalles? I’m a pretty experienced MTB-cyclist.
Burn Camino
Daniel

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Paladina

old woman of the roads
Past OR future Camino
CF, primitivo & del norte (2017); VdlP/Sanabres, ingles etc (2018), Mozarabe etc (2019), tbc (2020)
Not as far as you are probably hoping. You may well have to walk much of the way, not because you lack the necessary MTB skills but because you will not be alone. You will be sharing the narrow path with hundreds of walkers.

Helen1

Past OR future Camino
London to Santiago (2014)
Narbonne to Oloron (2015)
Camino Portugues (2016)
Sentier Cathar (2017)
Hi Daniel,

I think it took me around 3 hours on the road at a relaxing pace. There is quite a lot of up :) Google maps has around 3.5 hours off road. The weather was bad when I did it, low cloud with almost 0 visibility and I was quite glad to be on the road.

You'll easily make it to Roncesvalles. If you've not seen it https://godesalco.com/plan/frances has the profiles and it's quite an easy ride out of Roncesvalles if you want to carry on.

Hope you have a fab time - Helen

Last edited:

Mrhighland

Past OR future Camino
Hi Daniel,

I think it took me around 3 hours on the road at a relaxing page. There is quite a lot of up :) Google maps has around 3.5 hours off road. The weather was bad when I did it, low cloud with almost 0 visibility and I was quite glad to be on the road.

You'll easily make it to Roncesvalles. If you've not see it https://godesalco.com/plan/frances has the profiles and it's quite an easy ride out of Roncesvalles if you want to carry on.

Hope you have a fab time - Helen

Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

Mrhighland

Past OR future Camino
Thank you for your helpful information Helen1
I gather you took the Valcarlos way, was that due to the weather or would you recomend that option rather than the Napoleon way anyhow?

Helen1

Past OR future Camino
London to Santiago (2014)
Narbonne to Oloron (2015)
Camino Portugues (2016)
Sentier Cathar (2017)
I've never done the Napoleon route so I can't really advise. In the rain/cloud/drizzle damp I would have thought it would be pretty miserable on the the Napoleon route and the Valcarlos route will be easier. In good weather I should imagine the Napoleon route is glorious. The road is really just a long climb, it's not too steep with a lot of switchbacks and you're in woods a lot of the time. I couldn't see much because of the weather but I am guessing the woods mean that there's not too much to see anyway.

DACamino

Past OR future Camino
09/08/18
Recommend the road the entire way. There are pilgrim signs along the road that take you into the woods. Don’t take them and stay completely on the road. BC

Kat Kostrzewska

Online guide https://caminodesantiagobybike.co.uk
Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2018), Via Tolosana (2012) Camino Norte (2014)
Hi Daniel

I have done both in the past - Valcarlos way and Napoleon route.

Napoleon route is very steep. You will cycle on a bare mountain range. It is amazing, but should be done first thing in the morning. I am not an early bird at all, but midday is just too late. It is a high mountain pass and the weather does change very quickly. So personally I would give it a miss. I don't remember how long it took me, but I believe that I was in Roncesvalles in the late afternoon

Valcarlos route is steep as well finished off with 11 kilometres ascent. I cycled it more than once and I like it a lot. It is just cool. With heavy panniers it takes definitely more than three hours.

Anyway - when you get to SJPdP go to Pilgrim's Office ( on the top of the hill, cobbled street inside the citadel) and ask them for advice. And the weather. This year they told me not to cycle Napoleon route because it was raining for two constructive weeks. They will give you a simple map of both routes.

Buen camino

Kat

Mrhighland

Past OR future Camino
Hi Daniel

I have done both in the past - Valcarlos way and Napoleon route.

Napoleon route is very steep. You will cycle on a bare mountain range. It is amazing, but should be done first thing in the morning. I am not an early bird at all, but midday is just too late. It is a high mountain pass and the weather does change very quickly. So personally I would give it a miss. I don't remember how long it took me, but I believe that I was in Roncesvalles in the late afternoon

Valcarlos route is steep as well finished off with 11 kilometres ascent. I cycled it more than once and I like it a lot. It is just cool. With heavy panniers it takes definitely more than three hours.

Anyway - when you get to SJPdP go to Pilgrim's Office ( on the top of the hill, cobbled street inside the citadel) and ask them for advice. And the weather. This year they told me not to cycle Napoleon route because it was raining for two constructive weeks. They will give you a simple map of both routes.

Buen camino

Kat
Thank you for all the good advice!

I will follow all your recommendations to get a good start to the trip!
I’m really looking forward to it!

/Daniel

John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.
Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances