• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

eva Kimtah Mesh Shoes and sleeping bag and back pack

Sara Jane Walsh

Time of past OR future Camino
September (2015)
I am doing the Camino from Porto to Santiago in late September. I get cold quicker than most and I wonder if I need a sleeping bag or liner. I weigh 100 lbs and I need a backpack suggestion. I want to carry as little as possible. I am looking at Kimtah Mesh Hiking Shoes from Amazon and I am tempted to place my order. Any suggestions? Leaving from Miami to Porto via Madrid. I live in Fort Lauderdale. Please suggests here too!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Sarah Jane, it would be best if you could try on the shoes and be fitted by a knowledgeable person. I would find a shop before buying. Regarding a backpack, the same advice goes. You are so small even a youth back pack might be appropriate. Is there an REI or specialty hiking/outdoor store in your area? Liz

Alas, the nearest REI is about five hours away from Sarah Jane, in Jacksonville. There is an outdoors shop in Orlando with a certified Osprey fitter. Locally your only option is probably Peter Glenn, and I have no idea of whether or not they're any good at pack fitting.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Sarah Jane, it would be best if you could try on the shoes and be fitted by a knowledgeable person. I would find a shop before buying. Regarding a backpack, the same advice goes. You are so small even a youth back pack might be appropriate. Is there an REI or specialty hiking/outdoor store in your area? Liz
The thought of a child's back-pack is a great option to consider.

Alas, the nearest REI is about five hours away from Sarah Jane, in Jacksonville. There is an outdoors shop in Orlando with a certified Osprey fitter. Locally your only option is probably Peter Glenn, and I have no idea of whether or not they're any good at pack fitting.
So sad! I just assumed you would have better options in such a populated area!!! It might be worth a road trip to REI to try shoes and packs! Good luck!

Last edited:
Sara Jane,

I lived in Miami for 20 years, and, sadly, you are probably going to have to mail order everything, try it on, and return what does not work. South Florida is all about water sports, not walking. Hook up with the South Florida APOC chapter (very active) and they might help.

As for packs, first, thing, go online and learn how to measure your torso length. Don't guess by height. I'm a foot taller than my wife (see picture), but our torso lengths are very similar (I'm all legs, she isn't). Then try to order packs that might fit.

My hobbit-sized wife (5', 110lbs) ended up carrying an Osprey Stratos 24L (that I originally ordered for me). Stratos are "men's" packs, but for her body type (very athletic, not much curves), "men's" packs work better. I went with the Stratos 26L because I prefer the drawstring top to the zipper closures on the 24L (easier to pack; no worries about blowing out a zipper).

Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am doing the Camino from Porto to Santiago in late September. I get cold quicker than most and I wonder if I need a sleeping bag or liner. I weigh 100 lbs and I need a backpack suggestion. I want to carry as little as possible. I am looking at Kimtah Mesh Hiking Shoes from Amazon and I am tempted to place my order. Any suggestions? Leaving from Miami to Porto via Madrid. I live in Fort Lauderdale. Please suggests here too

Completed the CP from Porto to Santiago in early Oct 2014 – just needed a light weight sleeping bag and never felt cold – in fact the opposite it was too warm most nights

Did the CF in Sept 2013 with a heavier mummy type sleeping bag – I found this uncomfortable

In my experience, fitting a pack is almost as important to fitting your shoes. My first two packs were ill fitted and I wondered why so much of the weight fell on my shoulders. It's the length of your torso that determines the correct pack size and allows the hips to take some of the weight. I had assumed as a man of average height, that a small-medium pack was called for. I got measured at a local outfitter and learned otherwise. It turns out I'm a very tall man with short legs. :D

Ordering online is okay as long as you can return/exchange anything that doesn't fit properly. In fact, ordering 2 sizes at once and comparing them might help you figure out which one works better. Fortunately business takes me to JAX occasionally. The REI there is excellent.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.