• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Experience with Deuter ACT-Lite 40+10 pack?

Glenn Rowe

Time of past OR future Camino
Hola!

I am looking at the Deuter ACT-Lite 40+10 pack. I especially like its types and arrangement of pouches/pockets, much more than I do with similar Osprey packs. I will be heading out to an REI store next week to try one out, and I'd love to hear from anyone who has actually used one on the Camino.

Regards as always!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola!

I am looking at the Deuter ACT-Lite 40+10 pack. I especially like its types and arrangement of pouches/pockets, much more than I do with similar Osprey packs. I will be heading out to an REI store next week to try one out, and I'd love to hear from anyone who has actually used one on the Camino.

Regards as always!!
used one of these very successfully on the vdlp a few years ago nn still have it.
moved on to the future (50+10) simply because I like the harness better AND altho the contents of my pack don't weigh any more its the "spreadability" factor that I go for. this means with bellows side pockets plus proper small pocket on front I can distribute the contents better and knowing everything has its home so to speak I don't have to tip everything out to find something! I find the "carryability" of the bigger sack suits me better. as u git older and carry a variety of medications, its nice 2 know where things are! I use one pocket for meds, another for immediate first aid, another for toilet gear etc and so on. also with the weight distributed I don't notice the extra weight of the pack itself in the slightest! Hope this helps. Buen camino and vaya con dios.

the malingerer

used one of these very successfully on the vdlp a few years ago nn still have it.
moved on to the future (50+10) simply because I like the harness better AND altho the contents of my pack don't weigh any more its the "spreadability" factor that I go for. this means with bellows side pockets plus proper small pocket on front I can distribute the contents better and knowing everything has its home so to speak I don't have to tip everything out to find something! I find the "carryability" of the bigger sack suits me better. as u git older and carry a variety of medications, its nice 2 know where things are! I use one pocket for meds, another for immediate first aid, another for toilet gear etc and so on. also with the weight distributed I don't notice the extra weight of the pack itself in the slightest! Hope this helps. Buen camino and vaya con dios.

the malingerer
ps I meant the Futura! 50 +10!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Glenn,

IMO, they are too big and unnecessarily heavy for the CF. I bought one for my first Camino, but then got the rest of my gear. I managed to get my gear down to about 12lbs or so. That big of a pack was unnecessary, and its empty weight was too high (3.5 lbs). So I returned it, and got a 26L Osprey (2.5lbs). For the second CF, I actually did carry a Zpacks of about that size, but that's just because Zpacks does not make the Arc in smaller sizes (I emailed them, and its a manufacturing issue). The Zpacks was still about 1.75lbs, so I put up with the unnecessary volume to get the weight savings. That doesn't mean I did not see them on the CF. Lots of people were carrying them. Packed full. I'm still wondering what they were carrying and why. YMMV.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

I have the Deuter 35+10. It is made the same as the 40, but a little smaller. I *love it.

I tried Osprey, Gregory, and the other ones REI had. I've used it fully loaded a couple of times now, and it is just the one that fits my back and frame well. I can't explain why, but it felt lighter to me at REI, even though they were all weighted the same. I worked with guys on two different occasions for over an hour, and I still liked this one the best.

That said, my local REI didn't have the 35+, only the 40+, so I ordered the 35+ online through REI. I'm being careful to not fill the "+10" part. lol

My sweetie has this pack. While he had some fusses about the fit, I recently (note please that word!) adjusted the back part down one layer on the "ladder." Now he loves it--but we haven't got to the part of training where we try to convince ourselves to put a bag of dog food into each of our packs and do the whole Hike and Bike (10 miles round trip) so the "luv" isn't final yet. Regarding knowing where stuff goes, I made myself an 8x8 mesh bag with a strap and a zipper and attached it inside my Deuter pack, looping the hanger strap around some stuff at the top, so my first aid stuff would be easy to find. That was already starting to be a sanity-saver, comparing the 2015 walk to the 2014, and then I held onto a plastic bag from the farmacia and used it to store clean clothes. The combo really did save my sanity...in 2014 there were mornings where I wanted to just cry because I had just put everything back and had to dig something out that was always on the bottom. With a "clean clothes" bag and the hanging meds bag life was much, much better. (I also adjusted my pack's fit, because both years I had a persistent pain in one collar bone. I am hoping that the little fiddle has that straightened out.)
I confess that neither of us approaches the gentleman with the famous 2.2 liter load, but we do keep it to around 9 K. (Loaded pack, with camera adn Kindle added, put onto the bathroom scale. And yes I know the pack is about 3.5 pounds. The sleep bag is around 3 too...not that much left of the targget 20 is there?) If I can bear to only have 2 days of clothes--really?--it might be less. We will see.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I used the Deuter Futura EL 35 and was very pleased as it fir my 6'4" frame better than similar Osprey I had tried. If this deuter is in same family it will be a great bag.

The extra space might be tempting to fill....

Glenn,

IMO, they are too big and unnecessarily heavy for the CF. I bought one for my first Camino, but then got the rest of my gear. I managed to get my gear down to about 12lbs or so. That big of a pack was unnecessary, and its empty weight was too high (3.5 lbs). So I returned it, and got a 26L Osprey (2.5lbs). For the second CF, I actually did carry a Zpacks of about that size, but that's just because Zpacks does not make the Arc in smaller sizes (I emailed them, and its a manufacturing issue). The Zpacks was still about 1.75lbs, so I put up with the unnecessary volume to get the weight savings. That doesn't mean I did not see them on the CF. Lots of people were carrying them. Packed full. I'm still wondering what they were carrying and why. YMMV.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Its horses for courses! as I have already explained. I liked the bigger pack because it fitted me! I loathed Osprey as I thought the Deuter beat it hands down for quality and durability. A friend of mine who sadly died of cancer recently absolutely adored them! You cant judge what other people put in their rucks as you don't know the WHY. I carry bloody great knee supports as I am riddled with arthritis from head to foot and as u probably know those long long descents heading to Santiago play havoc with the knees. There is a horde of medication as well, as at 79 I am beset with a horde of deformities, infirmities, and disorders all of which need their own medication etc etc. There is also the spare teeth, spare glasses and the wooden leg and the wig:)
Suffering from Meniere's disease as well means it isn't an if I fall but a when! This means a hearty first aid kit! don't know what YMMV MEANS! Is it rude?:) the contents of my sack don't weigh all that much more than yours really, its just the way I pack it induces me to the bigger and better pack for ME! Buen camino and keep on truckin!:)

vaya con dios

the mali

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There's something really marvelous about the way the back is designed on the Deuter. It breathes but it almost feels like lumbar support too!

The 40 won't meet airline carry on requirements, which is why I bought the 35.

I have the Deuter ACT-lite 35+10 SL and I'm happy with it.

In my opinion ,

The negatives:
It does have an empty weight greater than some other popular ones.

The 35+10 version does not have a built in rain cover. This means if you buy a rain cover, that's additional weight.
(Not sure if this is the case with the 40+10 tho?)
(I do carry an Altus poncho tho, which covers me an the backpack).

The side pockets are okay for carrying water bottles but I find reaching back whilst walking is awkward. I therefore arrange a carry gadget beside my 'bum-bag' in front, where I can access my water without difficulty.

Positives are :
it is a very comfortable fit and adjustable to length of torso so that it can be fitted to sit on your hips whether you're short or tall.

I like the belt which is very strong a feels secure on the hips.

Made from durable materials and I see it lasting me many years.

Gear can be accessed from top or bottom (ie via the bottom zip section ).

I prefer the padded back for the lumbar support in preference to the fence back type on the other Deuter models.

Buen camino
Annie

Yeah I'll second Annie's comment on the water bottle pockets. They're a little awkward to reach. I bought a Deuter rain cover on Amazon for it. I would have preferred one built in, but comfort won out.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
! don't know what YMMV MEANS! Is it rude?

It usually means "Your mileage may vary" in the sense that "this is what I found but it may not hold true for anybody else "

The extra space might be tempting to fill....

That's another reason I'm considering it. Somewhere along the way I may wind up carrying some of my wife's bulky-not-heavy stuff, so the extra volume may come in handy. And if I don't need it, the bag appears to cinch down quite nicely!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have the Deuter ACT-lite 35+10 SL and I'm also happy with it.
I wear a Packa, so the lack of cover was inconsequential. I also have a Deuter 50l which also fits me wonderfully, but is far bigger than necessary for caminos (I used it on our first camino when carrying two kids' gear as well as my own and even then it was too big, but very comfortable). Both have seen extensive use and are wearing well.
I like the zipped pockets in the top and on the hip belt. Love that I can keep my clothes in the very bottom compartment and access it as a front loader.
The extra 10l is useful when carrying a couple of days' food in remote areas.
Perfect size as a carryon. Sits nice and compact on your back.
Good harness. Places to tie extra stuff on if needed.
Hydration bladder pocket and covered access hole for tube.

But if it doesn't fit you well, all these things are irrelevant! A bit like shoes, it depends so much on the individual.

But if it doesn't fit you well, all these things are irrelevant! A bit like shoes, it depends so much on the individual.

Yup. That's why I'm going to REI next week. In addition to trying out the Deuter 40 + 10, I'm going to tell them the features that I want and ask them for other suggestions/recommendations.

I used a Deuter 50 + 10 on the Frances last year. It's true 3 lbs 13 oz, is more weight than I would prefer. It did work for me last year. I didn't want one that large but it just fit me better and felt better than the smaller ones. I tried the Osprey and numerous other brands and it was just a matter of fit that sold me on this one. I'm doing another Camino in mid-april and might look at getting a smaller pack. Hadn't really thought about doing that until I read this thread. Thank you all, I think.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Everything OzAnnie said. After trying on dozens of different ones a dozen times each, the Deuter 35+10 ACT was my choice. It worked really well for me and I carried a bit over 7kg. My poncho had the extra pocket on the back, so didn't need a pack cover.

Hola!

Regards as always!!
Good morning, I have been using the Deuter since 2006 and have been nothing but absolutely happy with it. Not only has it got
plenty of space, but the pockets are great for single thingies (i.e. cellphone charges, batteries etc.). It also cleans like a dream and dries quickly when you get home. (I pop mine in the washing machine and it comes out great for a next camino.) I have done 8 caminos with it so far (next one coming up in May) and wouldn't think of changing. Have a great walk.

Hola!

Regards as always!!
My wife used the Act Lite 35+10, the ladies version of the bag you are looking at. I used it this past weekend and found it to be a great bag. The Act Lite 40+10 would be my first choice but is not available in South Africa I therefore intend buying the Ladies 35+10 as it seems to fit me ok at about 1.5kg, for our next Camino starting in August.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.