• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fear of Dogs

AcrossTheWater3008

Time of past OR future Camino
C Frances x 2 - 2016, 2017
C Portuguese x 2 2016, 2017
C Muxia/Finisterra x 2 2016, 17
CdM
Hi

I am booked to fly to Seville on 20/03/2017 and had been hoping to walk the VdlP all the way to SdC from 22/03/2017..... On further reading of the forum here re this route, I am getting quite concerned ..

I am very frightened of dogs and various threads have mentioned that there were dogs as well as pack of dogs in the first stage as well as other stages on this route.:eek: I have seen what dogs can do to humans and I have worries as I will be walking alone. I know I can buy a noise dog deterrent alarm, but this is not helping me.

Whilst I was walking to Muxia in August as well as the Portuguese recently, I have had some incidents with dogs.... I was walking from Muxia and decided to walk on the road as it was misty in the woodlands, when these 2 (?Alsatian) chained guard dogs started barking.... I stood about 300 feet from them for 30 minutes before a couple came by and gave me a lift from there to about 300 feet from these dogs..... Another incident was when I was almost nearing Muxia and I wanted to stop at a little village for a drink when a group of dogs came charging towards me..... I quickly retreated back onto the main road. (I cannot remember the names of these villages atm)

Whilst walking to Casa Fernanda on the Portuguese recently, I stopped in the village about 500 km from the house and a dog snarled at me.. I had to wait at a safe distance for about 45 mins until it went home.... before I continued on my route.

I feel really anxious about these dogs. I will have a walking pole, but the sight of a dog showing its teeth at me is enough to send me running down the road the other way.

The other alternative is to bus these routes where dogs are commonly, otherwise, I guess, I will have to abandon walking VdlP altogether. :(:(

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You must have had bad luck. Walked both these routes this year without a single dog incident.
Not sure about the Via de la Plata.
I am not great with dogs myself, so empathise with you.
On past camino in Austria and France I had a couple of similar incidents.
I just have my walking sticks avoid eye contact and stop and freeze until someone turns up. Not pleasant....

I walked the Vdlp alone in September/October this year. I like dogs but like you had heard reports about dogs being a problem on this route. There were dogs - some of the route is through stock areas where dogs are used to guard animals. On one occasion I got 'herded' by two German shepherd dogs who were shepherding cattle but decided that herding a peregrina would be much more fun. They were quickly called off by the nearby farmer - but to be honest I don't think they had any ill intent.

I was cautious about approaching a large flock of sheep crossing the path one day but was reassured by a kind man who stopped his truck to reassure me that there were 'no perros' ...

Most dogs were behind fences or tied up. Loose dogs (which were rare) were either friendly or went out of their way to avoid any contact.

I think that on this route you will definitely have to meet dogs and be prepared to cope with this in some way. But no one I met had any really bad experiences - been bitten or even really threatened by dogs. Sometimes coping with your own fears is the most difficult thing. But the Via is a tremendous experience...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Cannot say I remember any threatening dogs either, but I walked in 2011. I have done a lot of caminos, but the only place I have been scared buy a dog was in France on the route from Le Puy. For some reason he chose me and not the people in front of me or behind me. Tried everything to get rid of him, poles, stones, but when at last I shouted the Norwegian word FY! he turned round and walked into the garden of his home. I looked back to see whether he tried to attack someone else, but he did not, so perhaps it was me or perhaps he had Norwegian owners. You have to face dogs, at home as well as on the caminos, don't let it stop you doing what you want!

Hi, I'm afraid of dogs as well. But I've walked thousands of kms on caminos, usually alone, and though I've had a few dogs stop me with their barking, nothing more than that has ever happened. But I have a little technique, which I have described before, and it works very well for me.

You are not going to find wild dogs roaming around, at least I never have, and I have walked a number of remote and solitary caminos. The dogs are always near the house or farm where they live. When I see a barking dog come out onto the road/path, I just stop, but I don't retreat unless the dog is very menacing. If it's just barking I stay where I am, it keeps barking, and I yell "Oiga" "Oiga" until all the noise gets the attention of the owner. If the owner happens to be in a busy noisy milking barn, it may take a while, but they always show up. At that point they will take the dog so I can pass. (They invariably tell me that the dog won't bite, but I explain that I don't want to test the veracity of that statement).

I would definitely not change your Vdlp plans -- I've walked that route three times now and have never had a dog chase or attack me. In fact, I don't think I ever had one of my "loose barking dog encounters" on the Vdlp.

There are a lot of forum members who really understand dogs, and they have taught me that the dog knows when I'm apprehensive, but there's nothing I can do about that. Other tips I've gotten here are that you should never make eye contact with the dog, and bending down and pretending to pick up a rock and making a throwing motion usually works very well. Wishing you a buen camino, Laurie

Hi 'Acrossthe Water3008'.
I can understand the fear of dogs. I was always very wary of them, until later in life I had a Dog of my own. Even then, a couple of times I came across some quite scary dogs on the CF. Your fear of them is sadly impacting your enjoyment of the Camino.

Perhaps there is another way of dealing with this? Let's face it, you are going to come across dogs. You are walking through rural areas where dogs are common and are often working animals.

Is there some kind of training that you could undertake that would help as a coping mechanism? Maybe others could suggest something? We all have fears. Some rational, some not. Spiders, public speaking, swimming. Your fear is very real and quite rational, but like we often need to in life, sometimes we have to 'face' that fear and overcome it, or at least lessen its impact on us.

There is a lot of information out there.
http://www.wikihow.com/Overcome-a-Fear-of-Dogs
http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/pets/dog-behavior/are-you-afraid-of-dogs

I'm in no way trying to make out your fear is not real or not rational. But if it were me? I would tackle the fear, to at least reduce it, rather than let Dogs impact me so adversely.

Afternote: I've seen some amazing results first hand from Hypno Theraphy for overcoming or dealing with fears. Just a thought....

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello fellow traveler,
I am a psychotherapist and use a dog to help heal traumatized children. It is true they are very aware of your fear which sometimes increases their own. My suggestion would be to meet with a therapist or dog trainer 1-2 x. I think you have to approach this two ways address your fear and address confronting an aggressive animal. Best would be to work with a dog and the trainer these few times so you could address both with a professional. If you want specific information about both issues please email me directly micahadair@gmail.com. Please do not alter your route maybe it's time to face these fears?

I am also afraid of dogs and had to face my fear a few times when walking the Vdlp in 2012. I remembered not to look them in the eye and just walk straight past.
I stood still as a large , loose dog walked up to me and sniffed my bag but then turned and walked off. Another time early in the morning I saw up ahead a group of dogs in a confab and thought, Help!!
Anyway I took myself in hand and walked straight past and they didn't even look at me.
Its easy to say but try not to show fear and just ignore them. I will be back on the Via next April again. I'm sure all will be well. Let us know how you get on.:)

Are you OK passing dogs if another person is between you and the dogs? If so, and you're on a fairly popular route, you can ask another pilgrim to walk between you and the barking menaces.

I've definitely been startled by dogs suddenly popping up right next to me behind garden fences in towns - and several times have walked between yapping dogs and people who have been apprehensive.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I always carry an ultrasonic dog deterrent. It gives out a high frequency noise which humans cannot hear, but which - at fairly close quarters - frightens dogs away. Something like ...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UL80M86/?tag=casaivar-21
Of course there's always my walking pole, which I've used in the past.
As Peregrina 2000 says, don't change your plans. Don't let this fear put you off the beauty of the camino.
Blessings from grey, cool England ....

Hi

I am booked to fly to Seville on 20/03/2017 and had been hoping to walk the VdlP all the way to SdC from 22/03/2017..... On further reading of the forum here re this route, I am getting quite concerned ..

I am very frightened of dogs and various threads have mentioned that there were dogs as well as pack of dogs in the first stage as well as other stages on this route.:eek: I have seen what dogs can do to humans and I have worries as I will be walking alone. I know I can buy a noise dog deterrent alarm, but this is not helping me.

Whilst I was walking to Muxia in August as well as the Portuguese recently, I have had some incidents with dogs.... I was walking from Muxia and decided to walk on the road as it was misty in the woodlands, when these 2 (?Alsatian) chained guard dogs started barking.... I stood about 300 feet from them for 30 minutes before a couple came by and gave me a lift from there to about 300 feet from these dogs..... Another incident was when I was almost nearing Muxia and I wanted to stop at a little village for a drink when a group of dogs came charging towards me..... I quickly retreated back onto the main road. (I cannot remember the names of these villages atm)

Whilst walking to Casa Fernanda on the Portuguese recently, I stopped in the village about 500 km from the house and a dog snarled at me.. I had to wait at a safe distance for about 45 mins until it went home.... before I continued on my route.

I feel really anxious about these dogs. I will have a walking pole, but the sight of a dog showing its teeth at me is enough to send me running down the road the other way.

The other alternative is to bus these routes where dogs are commonly, otherwise, I guess, I will have to abandon walking VdlP altogether. :(:(

If you carry a smartphone, there are apps available for both Android and iOS devices (iPhone, iPad) that emit an ultrasonic dog repeller noise. That may be what I end up getting before my Camino. You might try that on some neighborhood dogs before you go, just to see how well it works.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Done multiple CF's, saw lots of dogs and never had any bad dog encounters, unless you count the big dog in Fonfria that insisted I play stick fetch and tug of war with him for over an hour ;).
Dogs are territorial, especially working breeds who work for a living. If I saw big dogs that look like they were all business, I gave them a wide berth (25-50 meters or more if possible), did no eye contact and walked right past them. They have no desire to attack you, kill you or eat you. They are just minding their little bit of the planet they were assigned to mind.
As far as "packs" of wild dogs roaming about? Never saw that. Sure, sometimes you see 2-3 running together, but that's hardly a pack and they aren't wild and out hunting and running down humans. Just dogs running about. Somebody owns them.
Wolves? Actual wild wolves are rare in Spain I believe and to see one would be a unique event and a blessing.
Don't believe those nutjobs that write books about the Camino that talk about wolf and wild dog encounters. Just so much caca.

If you worry about dogs, then use a Staff rather than poles or nothing.

Your staff should be ash, simple, and in a standing position it should be as long as the distance between the ground, in pilgrim gear, and the inside of your armpit.

Apart from being a walking aid, a main other purpose of a Pilgrim's Staff is exactly to protect oneself from dogs.

Use it to keep them at a distance rather than to strike them, except the mad aggressive ones unafraid of people with sticks.

Feral dogs are not scared of hiking poles -- they are OTOH scared of staves.

Don't believe those nutjobs that write books about the Camino that talk about wolf and wild dog encounters. Just so much caca.

Unhelpful nonsense -- some of us "nutjobs" have had hostile encounters with dogs.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Unhelpful nonsense -- some of us "nutjobs" have had hostile encounters with dogs.
You must be putting out negative, hostile vibes to the dogs, dude. Think positive, man.
Just say over and over to yourself, "it don't mean nothing, ain't nothing but a thing", "it don't mean nothing, ain't nothing but a thing".
You'd be surprised how well it works. :)

If you worry about dogs, then use a Staff rather than poles or nothing.

Your staff should be ash, simple, and in a standing position it should be as long as the distance between the ground, in pilgrim gear, and the inside of your armpit.

Apart from being a walking aid, a main other purpose of a Pilgrim's Staff is exactly to protect oneself from dogs.

Use it to keep them at a distance rather than to strike them, except the mad aggressive ones unafraid of people with sticks.

Feral dogs are not scared of hiking poles -- they are OTOH scared of staves.
I walked for many years with a shoulder height ash plant staff, and for many years after that with trekking poles. I cannot say that I detected any difference in their deterrent effects on dogs. I do notice that genuinely feral dogs are quite unlikely to approach a walker and bark or attempt to bite - that appears to be the domain of domesticated dogs kept as guard dogs or otherwise chained up by their owners.

I can add a bit of popular wisdom: when you meet an aggresive dog, just repeat many times "San Roque, San Roque, que este perro no me mire ni me toque" ("Saint Roch, Saint Roch, this dog will neither see me nor touch me")
San Roque is, interestingly, also a patron saint of pilgrims (it is very popular in France and Germany). He is always represented with a dog.
The practice may have a rationale. When walking the Piedmont Way, I saw in Mifaget a sign advising walkers about the behavior toward shepherd's guard dogs (there are many....). It recommended, amongst other things, staying as away as posible from sheeps, look indifferent and sing a song or talk to yourself. And yawn loudly (well, this I found a bit strange).

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My happy dog story: One day this past April while walking through a village not far beyond Roncesvalles I saw an old farm Border collie. I work with a Border collie rescue so I am always willing to talk to the dogs, telling them in Spanish how wonderful, beautiful and intelligent they are. So this old dog came over for some more attention and pets. Suddenly his younger friend arrived, pasted herself against my legs for some of the attention her older friend was getting. When it was time to move on she said in "dog", of course, "Follow me, I shall guide you through my village!" At the far end of the village was a large barking dog. Our new friend expertly distracted that dog so that we could safely pass without fear. When we had gone by, with a swish of her tail our Border collie friend flew over a stone wall and was gone.

I cannot offer specific advice in how to deal with some of the dogs you might meet other than to say that the vast majority of the dogs along the Camino are not ones to be afraid of.

I do notice that genuinely feral dogs are quite unlikely to approach a walker and bark or attempt to bite - that appears to be the domain of domesticated dogs kept as guard dogs or otherwise chained up by their owners.

The worst are some savage hunting dogs that their irresponsible owners have set loose into the wild after some years of deliberately abusing them to increase their aggressiveness.

The worst are some savage hunting dogs that their irresponsible owners have set loose into the wild after some years of deliberately abusing them to increase their aggressiveness.
That's not something that I have seen, fortunately, although I have heard a little about this practice.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The lucky ones are set free - it still happens that the unlucky ones are strung live from a tree and left to die as a punishment for losing speed or interest in hunting - particularly Gallegos (greyhounds). Sadly many dogs, particularly here in the south of Spain, are treated very badly. Many, many foreigners here have rescue dogs.

There are always stories of puppies being left in the bins which are often found in time to be rescued and hand reared. I have taken in two litters of dumped pups just a couple of days/weeks old.

But grown dogs that are wandering loose in this area are always friendly and looking for food and kindness, or very shy, having been used to bad treatment and not wanting to take any chances with humans.

Well said @Magwood I have kept Dobermanns all my life, they are warm and loving, as are all Gods creatures if you give them a chance. Try some kind words, it don't matter what language you use, it is the tone. Leave the big sticks and poles for walking or playing Star Wars.

If I could find a way to upload photos from an iPad I would share some wonderful pictures of such loving creatures.

Be nice, it may pay dividends

Only 5 sleeps to go

Dear folks

Thank you for taking your responses...... I am grateful for the kind encouragement as well as the kind advice given by all.

I had a small pet dog when I was little, and I nursed him when he was blinded after being savaged by a large dog when he ran away one day. But, sadly, a year later, he disappeared and I have never had another dog since. He was very special to me... :oops:I have had contact with little dogs 'handbag' dogs (or pocket dogs?) but these little cute dogs don't bite... they nibble and squeak.

I did go to Battersea Dogs Home a few years ago to adopt a dog.... and after an assessment, I was recommended 2 huge elderly sibling, beautiful gentle Great Danes!! These dogs were bigger than me and were almost up to my shoulder on all 4 paws but, on 2 paws, they towered over me. Hence I rejected these beautiful creatures. Until today, I wonder why I was recommended them....?

Thanks everyone for your wisdom too..... I have learned so much from reading your responses and for giving me these wonderful tips! I will also be armed with a good ultrasonic dog device... and if I could, I will walk, with another pilgrim on the VdlP for added support! I will also walk with the knowledge that other pilgrims concerned about dogs have walked safely and well every Camino routes!

So, if anyone is walking VdlP from 22 March, please, let me know!

Have a great Christmas, everyone and may all be joyful!

Cheers

Ginette

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi

Dear folks

Thank you for taking your responses...... I am grateful for the kind encouragement as well as the kind advice given by all.

I had a small pet dog when I was little, and I nursed him when he was blinded after being savaged by a large dog when he ran away one day. But, sadly, a year later, he disappeared and I have never had another dog since. He was very special to me... :oops:I have had contact with little dogs 'handbag' dogs (or pocket dogs?) but these little cute dogs don't bite... they nibble and squeak.

I did go to Battersea Dogs Home a few years ago to adopt a dog.... and after an assessment, I was recommended 2 huge elderly sibling, beautiful gentle Great Danes!! These dogs were bigger than me and were almost up to my shoulder on all 4 paws but, on 2 paws, they towered over me. Hence I rejected these beautiful creatures. Until today, I wonder why I was recommended them....?

Thanks everyone for your wisdom too..... I have learned so much from reading your responses and for giving me these wonderful tips! I will also be armed with a good ultrasonic dog device... and if I could, I will walk, with another pilgrim on the VdlP for added support! I will also walk with the knowledge that other pilgrims concerned about dogs have walked safely and well every Camino routes!

So, if anyone is walking VdlP from 22 March, please, let me know!

Have a great Christmas, everyone and may all be joyful!

Cheers

Ginette
Hello Ginette,
I too plan on leaving Seville mid April.
On the Portuguese Caminho I had several mean dog encounters. A pilgrim I had been walking with was terrified of dogs.
Whenever we came upon some angry dogs I would give her one of my poles and told her to hold it on her side of her leg without movement as a barrier, and that we should walk slow and steady with NO quick movements, it was difficult to stay calm when we were surrounded by 6 dogs looking vicious. When we passed their area they went about their business and forgot us. That night we saw a pilgrim who left earlier that day and he said he was almost bit by several dogs, he said "I tried to kick them away and they all then were trying to bite me."
I think I would have bit him as well for kicking me.
So as the experts say No eye contact and try to walk so they are on your side not front.
You will be sure to meet others and we all know it's worth it !
Enjoy and Happy Holidays !
Eliza

My family's had two crazy canines -- I've only heard stories about Bonzo, but Cedric was quite the handful. Not from any mistreatment, it's just that's how they were. The semi-feral/semi-domestic cats we had in Wales (after the mother cat just turned up on the doorstep one day, having decided she liked us) were far easier.

That night we saw a pilgrim who left earlier that day and he said he was almost bit by several dogs, he said "I tried to kick them away and they all then were trying to bite me."
I think I would have bit him as well for kicking me.
So as the experts say No eye contact and try to walk so they are on your side not front.

Not kicking a dog is always good advice. Also, not hitting one with a stick except in genuine self-defence from an actually aggressive one. Even those, you can generally just warn away, even if that can occasionally get a little hairy.

Keeping your stick or your pole or your staff to the side vertically, at a slight distance, as a barrier is excellent advice though -- dogs have a good enough understanding of personal space, symbolic barriers, and implied warnings, to respect that.

The eye contact thing I suppose depends on individual circumstances, but yes if you're female and scared of dogs, definitely avoid eye contact and simply wait til the pack lets you pass unhindered. That's not me being sexist, but dogs are.

Don't scream or shout at them either -- but talking at them in a relaxed and friendly manner can help.

And yes -- if they're in front, wait 'til they move, instead of trying to move through them.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am reminded of a quote ; attributed to many, but most likely by Alphonse-Marie-Louis de Prat de Lamartine.
'' The more I see of the representatives of the people, the more I admire my dogs ''.

Personally I fear feral people far more than their canine counterparts .

Hello - I can only echo the advice from others and certainly do walk the VdlP! I walked this Autumn and dogs, cows and bulls were a big worry for me before I left home.

We did encounter a few dogs but they were never a problem. But I also followed the good advice above... take your time, use a pole if you have one as a visual barrier and try to remain calm. On one occasion I did lean forward and pick up a stone when we encountered a group or 4 hunting dogs... certainly one of the dogs saw me do this and pulled back. We stood a little off the path and they ran by us without incident.

I had read that coming out of Seville we should avoid the river option as there were lots of dogs on this section. We walked through the industrial estate which was a bit dull but dog free :D

Now cows and bulls... that was a different matter for me as I am REALLY scared of them! You can read about my worst day (and laugh at me!) here...

Having said all of this... I would pack my bag and leave tomorrow if I could walk it again... I loved it all (even the dogs and the cows) and I cant wait to go wandering again! Have an amazing walk!

Hi, I understand your fear and it is good that you are open about it. Nothing to be ashamed of either, dogs are descended from wolves and can be bullies, especially when they are guarding their territory.
What you emanate - fear - can be smelt and perceived by a dog (and many other animals, horses come to mind) - but there is no way that you can mask that, you cannot 'pretend' to not be scared.

Felipe, above, mentioned the loud yawning - this is because that is a dog signal of fear and compliance, that you are not a threat, that you are subordinate, so feel free to do that, at the same time as not looking in their eyes.

You will be on Camino and should have plenty of time so if you come to a dog that scares you just back off and wait until other pilgrims come along. Sit down and have a snack and a drink ... maybe throw a little of your snack onto the ground in front of the dog - this confuses them - they associate feeding with friend so are less likely to remain aggressive.

But - go on Camino! Have a wonderful pilgrimage - and, most dogs are absolutely lovely and loving, don't forget that.

Buen Camino ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am reminded of a quote ; attributed to many, but most likely by Alphonse-Marie-Louis de Prat de Lamartine.
'' The more I see of the representatives of the people, the more I admire my dogs ''.

Personally I fear feral people far more than their canine counterparts .
true dat....
These days I would say one should be more aware of the coyotes of the two-legged variety than the four-legged variety whilst on the Camino.

No one mentioned pepper spray. Is there a reason not to have spray? Can you purchase it?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No one mentioned pepper spray. Is there a reason not to have spray? Can you purchase it?

So your idea for dealing with potentially dangerous feral animals is to deliberately provoke the pack ? LOL

The reason not to have pepper spray on the Camino is that you don't need it. The thought of carrying it with me never crossed my mind. Besides, it has minimal effect on dogs. At least the small, practical sized OC spray canisters.
I've sprayed at a dog before as a copper and it didn't really do anything. I don't think it would provoke an attack, though, ha ha. The dog simply kind of shakes it off, and looks a bit confused.
Best way to avoid dogs on the Camino is to, well, just avoid them. ;)

I disagree strongly about any shouting and extremely do NOT wave arms, legs or walking sticks.
Waving body parts or sticks gives them something to go for which is just away from the body.
If chained or behind fencing just walk on away from them/it without making eye contact.

If you are approached by a dog friendly looking or not DO NOT wave body parts or sticks, o not make eye contact, do not run.
Try continued walking at a calm pace or stand still with arms folded and NO eye contact.

I walk my pair twice daily on and off walking tracks, some days we meet walkers and they ignore them but one in a blue moon seems to get them going. It's not a male or female thing, it's not a backpack thing, it's not a gun thing. They just don't like everyone they meet same as us humans.

I will allowed use of sticks ONLY in a defensive situation ie you are actually being psychically attacked.

bad dogs are only behaving how the bad owners have taught them, some are just being defensive over what they see as their territory.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Please do not pepper spray dogs it can provoke. You are also not being very kind to an animal most likely doing his job protecting his pack. Follow Cesar Milan's rule no touch, no talk, no eye contact. Think of something lovely and walk on by. It's attitude. You are calm confident in control. They don't get frightened scared feel the need to protect. Buen Camino!

A large family Lab was killed by pepper spray when someone used it to break up a fight between him and another dog. It caused him to go into respiratory arrest.

"A large family Lab was killed by pepper spray when someone used it to break up a fight between him and another dog. It caused him to go into respiratory arrest."

Food medicines and things like pepper spray can effect dogs much different than humans. I'm sure for some it's nothing but yes for others can cause sickness and death. Walk the way of St Francis creatures are part of the world as we are. Give them respect and they return it. I've been a guardian and trainer of dogs for years. It's really all about self-control. If you can walk 500 miles you can learn to be self confident and not harm other animals... even though aggression is sometimes easier... I offer my services to anyone who needs help resolving these fears.

Hi

Hi,

You should consider the Madrid route. I met only one loose dog that was agressive (or pretended to be so) between Madrid and Sahagún. Vía de la Plata was much more complicated in that respect...

/Bad Pilgrim

I suppose this subject of dogs along the Camino is yet another one that seems to get embellished a bit. I'm not talking about the OP's experiences. She has a fear of dogs, which is not unusual, and she shared that fear and how it corresponded while walking the Camino.
What I'm talking about is the subject of dogs themselves on the Camino, namely the Frances route. I can only speak from personal experience about it, but I do have over 120 days on it to speak about. I can say without any hesitation that vicious dogs are not an issue, a problem or something to be concerned about. I saw many dogs on the Camino, and sometimes more than one dog running together, but never saw any that were vicious and out to attack me or hunt me down. I never had to hold them at bay with a bow-staff, or fought them off with a sword ( :D ). What I saw were working dogs, mostly. Used for herding or protecting livestock. They have no interest in humans other than their owners. They are not trained to kill, but like any other canine, they are territorial. You see one in his yard or around the livestock, he may bark at you letting you know to stay away, so just stay away and as you walk off he stops barking, and lies back down until the next aggravating biped passes by and disturbs him from his nap, ha ha. Sometimes they are running around a small village as the cows are being moved. Stop walking for a couple of minutes until they all pass. Problem solved. I don't recommend getting in the middle of it all for a selfie. The people and dogs are at work. Would you like some nimrod mixing up with you at work for a selfie? ha ha.
The Spanish do use dogs for hunting. For birds, for deer and for wild boar. Bird dogs are not vicious and never trained to kill. They are trained to locate and retrieve, and even if abandoned, don't have a trained killer urge to go hunt something down. Same with the deer and boar dogs. They are not used to run down the deer and boar and viciously tear them apart. They are used to push the deer and boar to hunters on stands who then shoot them. In actuality you don't want the dog getting too close to the animals it is pushing. Only contact with the animal is after it is down, and then the dogs just sniffs and tugs at it, and quickly loses interest. All in all, hunting dogs are extremely valuable and expensive and take a lot of training. Doubtful they get discarded.
If you see more than one dog running together, I guess you could call it a pack. I just call it a few dogs running together. They're not looking for humans to rip apart, ha ha. They're just doing what dogs do, run together.
To those out there reading this thread who have not walked the Camino, rest assured, vicious dogs are not an issue or problem on it. Honestly nothing to be given any thought about. Be more concerned about choosing the right footwear or clothing, or something like that.
Walk without fears. For God's sake, it's a holiday. ;)
cheers and ultreia

There is another side to the dog issue. On the vdlp I saw two pilgrims make a big fuss of a friendly working dog that approached them, including giving it food. The dog then followed them for 12 k into the next village where, frightened and disoriented, it was abandoned to be looked after by the local animal welfare person. Pilgrims - please don't do this...

Hi

I walked for a month and do not recall a single dog.

There is another side to the dog issue. On the vdlp I saw two pilgrims make a big fuss of a friendly working dog that approached them, including giving it food. The dog then followed them for 12 k into the next village where, frightened and disoriented, it was abandoned to be looked after by the local animal welfare person. Pilgrims - please don't do this...

Good thought. These animals be they shepherds, guards or pets have a job. Just let them be to do it!
Buen Camino!

Hey folks

Thank you for your great replies! I will definitely walk with the knowledge that many have walked safe and with humanity on the Camino! Hopefully, I will encounter no dogs as some seem to have enjoyed that..... So, if anyone is walking on my dates, please do let me know!

Take care and may you all have a great 2017!

Ginette

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello - I can only echo the advice from others and certainly do walk the VdlP! I walked this Autumn and dogs, cows and bulls were a big worry for me before I left home.

We did encounter a few dogs but they were never a problem. But I also followed the good advice above... take your time, use a pole if you have one as a visual barrier and try to remain calm. On one occasion I did lean forward and pick up a stone when we encountered a group or 4 hunting dogs... certainly one of the dogs saw me do this and pulled back. We stood a little off the path and they ran by us without incident.

I had read that coming out of Seville we should avoid the river option as there were lots of dogs on this section. We walked through the industrial estate which was a bit dull but dog free :D

Now cows and bulls... that was a different matter for me as I am REALLY scared of them! You can read about my worst day (and laugh at me!) here...

Having said all of this... I would pack my bag and leave tomorrow if I could walk it again... I loved it all (even the dogs and the cows) and I cant wait to go wandering again! Have an amazing walk!

Thanks so much for sharing, @LesBrass !

Another alternative would be to contact a vet/the local RSPCA chapter/a dog trainer and get more familiar with dogs and their behaviour ;-) There are a lot of offers like that available in the UK and it will be also beneficial for your everyday life! Buen Camino, SY

Hi

Thanks so much for sharing, @LesBrass !
I walked this route and had no problem with dogs. In fact most were tied up to my dismay. Your fear causes them to bark at you. You may want to have a bag of treats and when you see dogs you can throw them some. Have it in a bag that seals tightly or they may smell them. You probably would not have any problems on this trip but it would be wise to deal with your fear so you don't smell of it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Please be careful with feeding/giving treats to dogs - they might get attached to you (a food source) and then - What do you do? Also feeding somebody else's dog without permission is frowned upon in Europe. I only would use it as a very last resource. Buen Camino, SY

The dogs on the VDLP are almost always behind fences and most of them are all bark. Barking at pilgrims is their daily entertainment :) . And some of them like to hide until you get close before they let loose. Cheeky buggers.
Spanish dogs seem to be either little ankle biter breeds or big ginormous hounds and mastiffs. I kept a couple of rocks in my pocket just in case but never needed it. The one time I did get bailed up by a dog was on the way to Verin and I was definitely off the camino route and I had turned off towards this little hovel hoping there was a shortcut down the hill (there wasn't). I was glad to have sticks and just called out until the dog's owner came out.
Occasionally you will see a large dog on the road but it's usually an elderly farm dog on its daily constitutional.
The worst dogs are in Galicia by far. The odd one got sworn at which tends to work. http://www.spanishdict.com/translation is a good site to look up the few choice phrases you would probably say in English ;)

The worst dogs are in Galicia by far. The odd one got sworn at which tends to work. [URL said:
http://www.spanishdict.com/translation[/URL] is a good site to look up the few choice phrases you would probably say in English I

But dogs in Galicia don't understand Spanish!
I say KIS, KIS (no meaning in Galego) that is friendly.
And FORA (go away) or TISTO (no meaning) that are unfriendly.
For a Galician dog living in a hamlet there are different allert levels.
From lowest to highest:
!. Familly (No risk)
2.Neighbours (No risk)
3. Strangers looking similar to neighbours (very little risk)
4.Srangers looking different to neighbours carrying backpacks and poles. (some risk)
Therefore pilgrims obviously included in cathegory 4 shoudn´t visit an isolated hamlet in Galicia out of the Caminos without the owner presence.
But fortunatelly working dogs in Galicia are intelligent and when they get accustomed to pilgrim phisonomy and behaviour there is very little risk to be attacked (cathegory 3).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi

Hi

I have been walking the Via de la Plata for the past few years, will continue in May of 2017 and never had a problem with dogs. Certainly, there is no one section where there is a greater threat from dogs versus other sections. So, bypassing certain sections by bus will not accomplish much.
While I would say that you should not worry, you need to be able to relax on your journey. And, if you are going to be anxious or frightened at every bend and turn, then where is the pleasure in that? Bottom line is that, while the real threat of dogs might be small, it is your perceived threat that you need to overcome. That's your real challenge. But take it from me, on the first 500 klm on the VDLP, I have never come across a stray dog. From reading your stories, it is obviously a problem for you. But it is also clear that no one camino is any safer or worse than another.

Hi

Thanks for your great responses ... I am hoping to walk with another pilgrim and I will be armed with a dog ultrasonic device. I am grateful for all the advice and will use the advice and wisdom as appropriate.

Cheers

G

I walked from Weybridge to Compostela along the CF last spring. The worst section for dogs was Day 1 walking down the river Wey to Godalming. I didn't encounter any loose dogs along the CF. Good luck along the VdlP.

On 650 km Camino Mozarabe I had almost no problems with dogs. Most were barking from behind fences. One time a loud barking dog ran from a farm house into my direction but was immediately recalled by the owner. The only real problem encountered was when a flock of sheep crossed my path in the hills neear Cerro Muriano, after Cordoba. They were guarded by two dogs. I decided to wait till the whole flock had passed, which lasted about 10 minutes. As the dogs were only interested in guarding the sheep, they made no big trouble as long as I waited on a little distance.

Cannot say I remember any threatening dogs either, but I walked in 2011. I have done a lot of caminos, but the only place I have been scared buy a dog was in France on the route from Le Puy. For some reason he chose me and not the people in front of me or behind me. Tried everything to get rid of him, poles, stones, but when at last I shouted the Norwegian word FY! he turned round and walked into the garden of his home. I looked back to see whether he tried to attack someone else, but he did not, so perhaps it was me or perhaps he had Norwegian owners. You have to face dogs, at home as well as on the caminos, don't let it stop you doing what you want!
1 walked in August 16 and met only friendly, mostly retired dogs who mostly laid around. None even bothered to raise a bark.

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
Gronze has a note for the albergue in Valdesalor saying the key needs to be picked up from the town hall or the bar. Am I correct in assuming that this only applies if you are the first to arrive...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back