• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finally going to do it! First camino

How should I walk from Paris to Tours?

• via Orleans

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • via Chartres

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

KathrynTheGreat597

Time of past OR future Camino
From Paris to León (Summer 2017)
From León to Santiago/Fisterre (July 2018)
I'm a high school English teacher from Kansas. I've done a ton of traveling (especially in Europe), but not anything like this! I've wanted to do this pilgrimage for years and years. Although I am not religiously inclined, I'm kind of an amature Medievalist (one of my Bachelor's is in history) and so the long history of this route, walked by millions of feet over the last thousand years, has always been immensely appealing to me.

My plan is to start in Paris and walk all the way to Santiago in about ten weeks. I land in Paris 1 June 2017 and plan on starting walking the very next day. My flight home out of Paris is 8 August. I hope I can walk the entire thing and not have to use a bus or train, but I understand that that may change. I would also like to do the last little bit to Finisterre, time allowing.

I have most of my equipment but am still working on buying some.

I'm most worried about the stretch from Paris to either Chartres or Orleans (haven't decided which way to approach Tours). Most of the people who "start" in Paris actually catch transport to one of those two cities. I understand that the walk through the Parisian suburbs is not going to be the most beautiful or the easiest, but if anyone has any information on it, I would really appreciate it. I'm committed to really walking every step as much as time will allow.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
First of all - I cast my vote for Chartres - just because of the labyrinth in the cathedral ;-)

Second point to consider: The distance - can you walk it in just over two months?

Buen Camino/Bon Chemin, SY

First of all - I cast my vote for Chartres - just because of the labyrinth in the cathedral ;-)

Second point to consider: The distance - can you walk it in just over two months?

Buen Camino/Bon Chemin, SY

Well I calculated walking six days a week for six to eight hours a day, and that should get me there in time (maybe with a few days to spare!). Of course, I acknowledge that things happen, and that it's possible I won't be able to keep that pace, or who knows what. I accept I may have to end up bussing some bits.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
kathryn,

Here is a current thread with helpful links re walking from Paris

This thread links blogs re the route.

Be sure to also check out these earlier Forum threads for more about pilgrim sites in Paris and the camino in Paris.

A volunteer association within Paris which helps pilgrims is Compostelle 2000. Here is their web.

Les Chemins de Compostelle is a helpful French site with free maps, lists of lodgings, and trail descrptions. Here is their free set of 37 French topo-guides covering the etapes/sections between Paris and SJPdP.

When on the parvis or place facing the Notre Dame cathedral below you underground lie Roman ruins and visible to your right across the Seine begins the medieval rue Saint Jacques which pilgrims followed to leave the city; as you walk it do ponder the centuries of history that you cross!

Take a deep breath, relax and just enjoy ! As an American who has lived close to 35 years in France both in Paris and Champagne even after all those years for me as Thomas Jefferson wrote “a walk about Paris will provide lessons in history, beauty, and in the point of life.”

Bon Chemin and Buen Camino,

Last edited:
Believe me - if you do such a long pilgrimage - busing is the last thing that you want to do ;-) It just goes against the 'pilgrim grain' ;-) BC SY
Well, I think there's a few important caveats to the "bussing it goes against the pilgrim grain" mantra. For one, if you're hurting and are concerned about more lasting injuries that would mess up your schedule, by all means, stop and call a taxi to get you into the next rest point. Also, you'll have the option to skip some really dull sections, like in and out of Leon for example, that an easy and cheap bus ride will allow you to hike further the next day. I see no need to be stubborn about these things, but of course, there are always "purists" who will state otherwise. Remember, it's only the last 100km (from Sarria on) that you need to fully walk in order to get your official Compostela. Before and beyond that, anything goes.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.