• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino in September 2016

Tommybhoy

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Frances in September/ October 2016
Hi friends, I will be embarking on my first Camino in September and like many first-time pilgrims I'm filled with a nice kind of fear and nervousness. My main fear is that following surgery last year, will my strapped-up ankle hold out all the way from SJPdP to Santiago in the one calendar month I have given myself (due to work constraints). Having read many threads on this invaluable forum, I'll be grateful for the much needed advice / instructions. Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Thomas Woods, welcome. It will be much easier for forum members to help if you do a couple of simple things:
  1. see what is already available by searching the forum, which admittedly can yield either a feast or a famine depending upon your search skills;
  2. when there is a specific question you find hasn't been answered, ask it.
There are a couple of threads on the topic of searching and asking questions that go into much more detail, but this is probably enough to get you started.

ps - old posts do not necessarily mean the information is out-of-date.
pps - we cannot predict the weather, but we can point you to good climate sites if you cannot find them in you searches.
ppps - sorry, we can predict the weather, but don't really expect the results to be meaningful!

Many thanks Doug, I'll keep your advice / tips in mind for future post. Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi friends, I will be embarking on my first Camino in September and like many first-time pilgrims I'm filled with a nice kind of fear and nervousness. My main fear is that following surgery last year, will my strapped-up ankle hold out all the way from SJPdP to Santiago in the one calendar month I have given myself (due to work constraints). Having read many threads on this invaluable forum, I'll be grateful for the much needed advice / instructions. Buen Camino

Welcome to the forum, Thomas. 500 miles in 4 weeks with a strapped up ankle sounds pretty tough to me! Wishing you well with your recovery, your training and your Camino.

Welcome to the forum, Thomas. 500 miles in 4 weeks with a strapped up ankle sounds pretty tough to me! Wishing you well with your recovery, your training and your Camino.
Many thanks @NualaOC , I've just begun training for September, so fingers crossed the ankle holds up.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My main fear is that following surgery last year, will my strapped-up ankle hold out all the way from SJPdP to Santiago in the one calendar month I have given myself (due to work constraints).

Sounds to me like your focusing on the goal rather than the event. I had 32 days to complete the same trek (2014) due to work constraints . I figured If I did 10 miles/day without any rest days I would still have 180 miles to go to get to Santiago. If I wanted two rest days I would have to do at least 19+ miles each day .

I finally concluded to toss the goal and live in the moment. To put away the mileage chart , to stop and smell the baguettes . I got as far as Los Arcos when my back went out and I had to rethink my mission. Going back to Los Arcos in May to continue on with a healthier back and NO mileage goals ( Retired) . Can't wait to smell the Baguettes again.

In my opinion Thomas Woods , go easy on yourself . Live in the moment

Joe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sounds to me like your focusing on the goal rather than the event. I had 32 days to complete the same trek (2014) due to work constraints . I figured If I did 10 miles/day without any rest days I would still have 180 miles to go to get to Santiago. If I wanted two rest days I would have to do at least 19+ miles each day .

I finally concluded to toss the goal and live in the moment. To put away the mileage chart , to stop and smell the baguettes . I got as far as Los Arcos when my back went out and I had to rethink my mission. Going back to Los Arcos in May to continue on with a healthier back and NO mileage goals ( Retired) . Can't wait to smell the Baguettes again.

In my opinion Thomas Woods , go easy on yourself . Live in the moment

Joe
I agree with you completely Joe, to live in the moment, take in all the Camino has to offer and to smell the baguettes! However, a couple of things are driving me to complete the Camino Frances in this time. One is I don't believe I will get the chance again to do this, what I believe is, for me, a life changing endeavour and so I'll challenge myself every day. Secondly, I'll be doing it for a couple of charities which are so important to me, and they could really do with the funding. I'll find many reasons to keep going on the Camino, so I'll take each day as it comes.
Regards,
Thomas

Hi Thomas,
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your walk. I am sure you have your good reasons for thinking you may never get the chance to walk the Camino again, but trying to tell the future can be very hit and miss. I suspect if you live in the moment and are open to all that the Camino can bring to you that you will come back again. Never say never. Live life and enjoy today and let the future take care of itself.
Aidan

I agree with you completely Joe, to live in the moment, take in all the Camino has to offer and to smell the baguettes! However, a couple of things are driving me to complete the Camino Frances in this time. One is I don't believe I will get the chance again to do this, what I believe is, for me, a life changing endeavour and so I'll challenge myself every day. Secondly, I'll be doing it for a couple of charities which are so important to me, and they could really do with the funding. I'll find many reasons to keep going on the Camino, so I'll take each day as it comes.
Regards,
Thomas

Have a wonderful Camin0 Thomas. It's a very good thing you are doing . If you decide to keep a blog of your Camino please share it with us.
Buen Camino
Joe

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I had back surgery last August 16, 2015 and I will be leaving on my 2nd
Camino around August 24,2016. I will not be carrying my backpack this time. I will use the services of the people that pick up your backpack and deliver it to your albergue. This will allow me to minimize the weight that I carry. Buen Camino.

I had back surgery last August 16, 2015 and I will be leaving on my 2nd
Camino around August 24,2016. I will not be carrying my backpack this time. I will use the services of the people that pick up your backpack and deliver it to your albergue. This will allow me to minimize the weight that I carry. Buen Camino.
That's an excellent suggestion @vgen5122 , I'll definitely make use of the forward delivery service provided ar several stops along the way, thank you. Buen Camino

Well that's my Camino all organised Arrive in Biarritz on 28 August, stay overnight in Bayonne (can't get transport to SJPDP due to my late flight arrival) and beginning The Way on the 29th. So looking forward to the new experiences and meeting my fellow peregrinos.
Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back