• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino start at 7th of jan 2016

papplukacs

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk the Camino
Hi,first of all thank you for this website very helpful.I wanna start my journey in January(the 7th)on the French way,I have heard thats the most popular way,do you know if the albergues are open then?If so,do I have to book in advence every night?What if I book,but I don't get there on time?Do I need a spanish phone card?Has anyone done the journey in January?do you guys think its possible to do it that time if the year?(are there any albergues open,weather,etc)how much is roughly an albergue per night at the moment?thank you so much for any of these answers,would help a lot!
Lukas

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Lukas: I have walked the Camino France's in January and February. It is very doable at that time of year. I actually prefer it. It is much less crowded but you will meet other pilgrims along the way. Many of the albergues are open (I only had one incident where an albergue was closed when I arrived). You should be able to pick up a list of open albergues when you get your credential in SJPdP or Roncesvalles. I am sure someone on the forum will be able to direct you to any other options for finding a list of open albergues on line before you leave. You do not need to book in advance, especially in winter. I never encountered a full albergue. Generally albergues are between 7-10€.
You need to be prepared for cold weather. Search on this site for winter packing lists and you will have all the info you need to prepare. In general, you should add long underwear, warm hat, gloves, wool socks and layers to enable you to add or subtract clothing. I highly recommend light weight waterproof rain jacket and pants- they not only protect from rain but add a wind barrier and extra insulation if needed. You will also need a good sleeping bag. It is not necessary to have a phone but it is convenient and can be helpful to keep in touch with fellow pilgrims, home or to call to get a key to an albergue. Many forum members recommend obtaining a Spanish SIM card but I have always just paid for a plan through my US phone company. Do a search on this site and you will find lots of recommendations on phones.
I hope this helps you get started. I planned my previous caminos including my winter caminos using only this forum and have always been provided all the help I needed.

Thank you so much for all this information,so very helpful.

What the temperature is roughly do you know?In terms of winterwear,I thought about wearing a long sleeve technical shirt,with a fleece jumper,plus a heavier kind of waterproof jacket.do you think this is too much,since you only mentioned a lightweight jacket?
Thanks again for your support:)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

What the temperature is roughly do you know?In terms of winterwear,I thought about wearing a long sleeve technical shirt,with a fleece jumper,plus a heavier kind of waterproof jacket.do you think this is too much,since you only mentioned a lightweight jacket?
You can easily check the weather conditions for several Caminos here:
http://www.caminodesantiagotiempo.com/

Use Search function on this forum for list of albergues opened in winter on the Camino Frances.

Ultreia!

The clothes you describe will be perfect for winter weather. I also had a fleece cap and fleece neck warmer (covered my neck but could be pulled up over my lower face if there was a really cold wind. Make sure and have layers for your legs too. Regarding weather, it will vary. I had everything from warm sunny days in just my pants and shirt (everyone was borrowing my sunscreen!) to a few fully layered days when we had snow. I found that I would be cold when I first started walking and within 20 minutes I would be warm and comfortable. Many days I would end up unzipping my jacket and fleece several times through the day to manage my body temperature - I tend to get very warm when I walk. You are walking for a month and will have variations in the weather so layers will help you adjust to any temperature.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Papplukas will try to pm a email address to you ,so you can contact me..I will then go through with you what to bring & wear for Jan..for a start no need to worry about accomadation

Forrestt

we are on the ground on the 9th Jan....should be a breeze for you from Scotland especially if your a hill man(Munro bagger)...I am one of Scotlands Glenmore lodge finest winter MLs.
may see you there.

Papplukas

successfully sent you a contact email.

The weather
no need to be concerned about that now.......best weather format to use is a mountain forecast posted daily in the tourist office in SJPP and in the HQ(pilgrims office)if the pilgrims office main door is shut use the side door.(they will be in there and so will the forecast).

This what you can expect for or assume to encounter in the higher parts of the camino in January.....the way from SJPP to Roncesvalles.
wind and fast moving cold air can catch people out who have no mountain sense or are a newbie no offense meant

because your asking all these question tells me your not a winter walker or mountaineer, I am a fully qualified ML with donkeys years of mountain climbing and walking "please do not attempt the higher route" leaving STPP regardless if it turns out to be sunny clear day or if you meet some one else who tries to tell you its OK (this happens)..........cold weather moves very rapidly and even the most skilled can be caught out.

A. mild
b mild and wet
c mild wet and windy
d snow
e snow & windy
f windy
g cold
h wind and colder
i very windy making it colder still
j short outbreaks of sunshine but still cool.
l dry

and all of the above in various combinations.

arriving in Roncevalles you can typically find deep snow or no snow in January.

you have a email contact I sent you if you want to go step by step through all this winter walking clothing etc set up.

failing to plan is planing to fail.......safety first

by the way if you have seen any videos or nice photos of the deluxe albergue in Roncesvalless with the heating and lovely hot showers and clean beds with wonderful polite volunteers.......
this section is closed till March so we will all be sleeping in the less deluxe section..its adequate

bring ear plugs-good ones suitable for use in a zoo will work better just in case you end up with the worst snorer on the camino....
top tip if any body is doing any snoring make sure its you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you very much:)
(Ivar: edited out email address, please use PM system)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mountaingoat999 first of all thank you very much for the infos and I would like to ask you what do think which one is the best salomon hiking boots for winter among these http://www.vaola.co.uk/c/men/?brands=Salomon&shoe_size=42
Under 100 pounds:) thank you
Lukas

I have sent you my response in a PM .......to use the PM SYSTEM TO SEND emails etc..place the mouse pointer over the persons avatar photo then click.your see a screen. click on start a conversation......this is a pm private message..although it does look the same format at first as this layout here. until you notice on your posts.

when you do go to the store for a boot fitting service make sure they have this device,Brannock device....and ensure they measure both feet. a decent outdoor store have fully trained staff to use this device(some shoe shops which sell same boots just measure one foot).......please use my email I gave you 24/7 for kit advice and I will response quickly.....I am on camino again same time as you....more or less by a few days..also if you get your back measured for frame size for rucksack (this does not mean the litre size of the pack) for example osprey 50 L( medium small or large....frame)I rotate my packs every camino and have many.. might be able to help out here..also jacket lightweight event fabric...if you don't have one (used in good order) and almost new full zipped waterproof mountain equipment over-trousers...

please try to avoid buying boots online ..

BrannockDevice.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Papplukas will try to pm a email address to you ,so you can contact me..I will then go through with you what to bring & wear for Jan..for a start no need to worry about accomadation

Forrestt

we are on the ground on the 9th Jan....should be a breeze for you from Scotland especially if your a hill man(Munro bagger)...I am one of Scotlands Glenmore lodge finest winter MLs.
may see you there.

Hey mountaingoat999! Yup I plan to leave St Jean on the 9th and start my walking :). I haven't done any proper walking or hiking but quite a bit of running. I really have no idea if that will translate into being a competent walker though haha.

I'll PM you as you sound like a very good person to know! I've started to get my stuff together and it seems to be going alright but any help if of course, much appreciated, as I am a total noob.

No doubt I'll have some questions, so far though, this forum has proved to be massively helpful, reading thread after thread, such a supportive community!

F

Forrestt.

we are staying over in Bayonne on the 9th.I meeting someone from Arizona so they will needed bedding down for the night after the long flight etc.
on the 1oth we visit the pilgrims office then head off later that morning.

assuming your ryanair it on the 8th.

pm me when your ready .already got Papplukacs (who lives in London on board.)

when you pm me jot down all the kit your taking and have so far and and specific questions.
helps me to help you if I know specifics.
Tisco & cotswold outdoors are great for getting your feet sorted as your aware I am sure....looks like we will cross paths......
good example for kit is to look at any munro bagger or winter walker up your way..

weather wise there will nothing your not seen before....beauty of having Scotland with the fast changing weather system as your home.

I will pm you my email....also..

P

Have a great Camino. We might bump into each other too. I depart Burgos on 25 January heading towards Santiago de Compastella.

I like the advice of those who say not to stress too much about over planning / analysing. I'm a first time pilgrim but have been traveling a lot the past two years in my own non-Camino pilgrimage and the one thing I've learned is you'll always find a place to lay your head at night, even if you have to pay or ask someone's kindness.

I'll be using a combination of the website with the open albergues, Booking.com and couchsurfing.com to find places to sleep on my Camino. I've cycle toured and hiked a lot. I find that being prepared is good but my plans never end up working out the way I anticipated from home so now I just let go.

Have a great experience out there.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back