• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino this year :)

Charlie91

Hi Everybody,

My name is Charlie, I am 20 years old and live in Wiltshire, England.

Later on this year I am off to walk the Camino solo and am so excited! I am planning to set off late May sort of time, do you think this is a good time to start?

I am walking the Camino because I want a bit or direction in my life and I have read in different places that walking the Camino gives you a lot of time for reflection and plenty of time to think.

I really look forward to getting to know you all better and in the future be able to discuss our Camino experiences,

Buen Camino,

Charlie Stevens

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola Charlie

Welcome to the forum. Late May is a brilliant time to start. There will be lots of other people around and the weather should be great. I am sure your pilgrimage will present challenges, excitement, new friends and many new experiences. You will have time to walk alone and reflect and time to enjoy the company of others from all over the world. The route will lead you to Santiago but in what direction it will take "you" only you will discover. Give yourself to the Camino and see what you get back.

Ask any questions you have and forum members will respond generously from their own experience.

Best wishes

John

Hello Charlie,

Isn't it exciting? Are you walking from Wiltshire? Whereabouts in Wiltshire? I used to live near Devizes before I retired to Spain (have got a few years on you). I live in the Valencian region and its beautiful. I love every minute.
I'm just starting to plan to carriage drive with my horse, dogs and friend,possibly end April into May. May see you along the way.

Best wishes

Laetitia

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for the replies :)

I'm glad I've picked a good time of year and am very much looking forward to meeting people from very different backgrounds and taking in different cultures. I've looked at this forum quite a few times prior to singing up to seek advice on kit etc.. Its been so useful so I thought I should now try and contribute what I can in return.

Great to hear from you laetitia, I live very close to Devizes in a town called Bradford on Avon great area to practise walking. Very jealous of where you live! The miserable English weather really doesn't suit me nor the lack of culture! My best friend lived in Valencia for 7 years before returning to England two years ago. Have you previously walked the Camino?

Best wishes,

Charlie

All the best to you - delighted to hear you are setting off on this transforming trip.
You will certainly be enriched by it.
Let us know your experiences before in your preparation and after as you reflect on all you have lived and learned.
Wishing you every kind thought.

Buen Camino, Charlie!

You'll have some pre-Camino nerves as the time approaches, but if your questions are not already answered on this forum someone will oblige.

Keith

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We wish you well Charlie.
I think the Camino is a safe way to be brave and adventurous for a young person like yourself.
As Johnnie hints it's not just the destination, but the journey and all that it entails as you live one month of your life in the open air.

Buen Camino.

Hello again Charlie,

Very beautiful part of England where you are in Bradford on Avon.
No, I haven't walked the camino at all but have decided to take my horse with me and we can quietly contemplate life and enjoy just being.
I also want to celebrate my wellbeing having recovered from cancer and to light a candle for my darling youngest nephew who was tragically killed in a car accident, he was only 23yrs old.
Good luck with all your planning and take care. L

Most read last week in this forum

On the Camino Del Norte. Surprised by the amount of pilgrims. Many mature pilgrims, like myself with a few Caminos under their belt, mostly appear to be staying in hotels. If staying in hotels be...
Hi I just joined and will be doing a solo walk from SJPP to Finisterre in May Jun 2025... long time to go yet but VV excited ... will be finalising dates and flights from Canberra as soon as...
For those of you who are using the ATM colour chart. One bank is suggested at less than 2 Euro when in fact was 4.50 Euro per withdrawal
Hello Pilgrims, I am Brendan an Australian Scot. I am new to the forum, but not new to the Camino. On Tuesday May 28 I will start on my seventh Camino the Norte from San Sebastián. I will try and...
I am looking for people who want to walk the camino del norte in may 2025 - starting from Irun, Bilbao or another place. Nice to hear from you.
Oh oh oh, After more then seven and a half weeks of rain in Belgium and France, last week weather is better, I walked into Irun today! 🙏 Feels like the last nine weeks my life was in a fridge but...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back