• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Five Questions: Opinion is Fine

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
1. For the first time in more than 25 years, I suffered some chafing--from a bum bag I used around my waist. I bought body glide for prevention, but is there anything you use as a 'cure'? I have welt-like redness, pain, itching. Super annoying, to be honest.

2. My pack is a Deuter 32-litre, and while I love it and now routinely hike with it, I find a few deficits. I'd like a water carrier near my hand, and some small compartments nearby too, so I can access Euro's from my pack. Do I need to buy an Osprey? Or?

3. My feet have significantly lengthened and broadened since I've upped my hiking in larger boots and shoes, and I believe the hiking "spread" is settling. This is fine. I've read @annakappa that using teabag soaks strengthens skin. Have you done this? How'd it work? Any other last suggestions on getting skin ready?

4. My back, which used to be very temperamental, is now feeling 100 percent improved after several days of hiking. I'm not getting in lots of miles (perhaps 40 miles or 64 kilometers weekly) but they are rough miles. I'm also biking. Anyone else experience great back improvements with core strengthening?

5. I'm about 79 days out from departing. I'm still vacillating on footwear---I have great boots, but also am enjoying Cascadia trail runners. Anyone have an opinion on that?

Any training suggestions for me? My weight seems to be staying the same, but I've gotten exceptionally strong. I would like to take yet more weight off. If you want to make a dietary suggestion, I'm interested in that, too.

Go!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
1. For the first time in more than 25 years, I suffered some chafing--from a bum bag I used around my waist. I bought body glide for prevention, but is there anything you use as a 'cure'? I have welt-like redness, pain, itching. Super annoying, to be honest.

2. My pack is a Deuter 32-litre, and while I love it and now routinely hike with it, I find a few deficits. I'd like a water carrier near my hand, and some small compartments nearby too, so I can access Euro's from my pack. Do I need to buy an Osprey? Or?

3. My feet have significantly lengthened and broadened since I've upped my hiking in larger boots and shoes, and I believe the hiking "spread" is settling. This is fine. I've read @annakappa that using teabag soaks strengthens skin. Have you done this? How'd it work? Any other last suggestions on getting skin ready?

4. My back, which used to be very temperamental, is now feeling 100 percent improved after several days of hiking. I'm not getting in lots of miles (perhaps 40 miles or 64 kilometers weekly) but they are rough miles. I'm also biking. Anyone else experience great back improvements with core strengthening?

5. I'm about 79 days out from departing. I'm still vacillating on footwear---I have great boots, but also am enjoying Cascadia trail runners. Anyone have an opinion on that?

Any training suggestions for me? My weight seems to be staying the same, but I've gotten exceptionally strong. I would like to take yet more weight off. If you want to make a dietary suggestion, I'm interested in that, too.

Go!
Moleskin

1. Get something else now, before you leave - or try loosening/tightening it. Are you wearing it directly against the skin?

2. Personally, I would never put my euros in my pack - I've watched them deftly stolen - instead of a new pack, just invest in some "pockets" you can attach. They do exist.

3. Many people swear by ice cold vinegar/salt soaks

4. I always feel better about a week into my treks

5. Take the trail runners

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
@CaminoDebrita -

1. Bag Balm. You can find it almost anywhere. Google it to see the distinctive green tin so you'll know what to look for.

2. Don't keep money in your pack! (IMHO) Check out a nearby sports store, take your pack with you and see if they have a clip on accessory to hold a water bottle.

3. No clue but what is the harm in trying?

4. Yep....no surprise in this at all.

5. Either of those choices will work for the season you are walking.

As long as you are feeling strong, I would not worry about getting more weight off. Keep up your training, eat healthily and the weight will likely go of its own accord. I quail at the thought of laying out a "diet plan" even if I had the qualifications (I don't!) as once you hit the Camino... well, you'll be eating what's available anyway.

Buen Camino!

B

Go!
Oh there is more than 1 question

Moleskin for the chaffing, you will toughen up over time

You have pant pockets with zippers keep money passport both pilgrim & country always on your person

Your feet will take the beating just get use to it

Core strenghth is the key to a good back

No weight stuff just keep exercising don't wear your self out before you leave.

I use moleskin for foot issues, cutting a generous hole in the mole skin to protect a hotspot or blister, and making sure to create that protective ridge around the issue. This may not work for a large chafe around the waist. I'm having my husband pick up the B Balm now!

I will most certainly carry mole skin on my journey.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I use moleskin for foot issues, cutting a generous hole in the mole skin to protect a hotspot or blister, and making sure to create that protective ridge around the issue. This may not work for a large chafe around the waist. I'm having my husband pick up the B Balm now!

I will most certainly carry mole skin on my journey.
Lol a German woman had the same issue w/osprey I gave her moleskin. You just are a softy

Lol a German woman had the same issue w/osprey I gave her moleskin. You just are a softy
I'm not a softy! I'm a tough woman who can hike most men under the table! The strap on my bum bag met the long scar on my lower abdomen, and I got the chafe. Thank God I'm not a male; if I got this in the male location I'd be miserable!

I'm using a Deuter, not an Osprey. Perhaps this English teacher needs to run you through some reading drills.

I'm not a softy! I'm a tough woman who can hike most men under the table! The strap on my bum bag met the long scar on my lower abdomen, and I got the chafe. Thank God I'm not a male; if I got this in the male location I'd be miserable!

I'm using a Deuter, not an Osprey. Perhaps this English teacher needs to run you through some reading drills.
Well I get that, but it is sounding like it is the bum bag doing the chafing. Any way to rethink that or is that the reason for possibly going to another pack maybe bigger? Yes even us tough males can snivel :)

Yes I admit I am a browser. Or would it be peruse? If it doesn't have pictures I not so good. I thought you would have picked up on that by my spelling.

In any case you might get a chance to meet my wife & I July 24 or 25 when we are in Salem.
Keith

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just a thought, but I haven't looked a women's packs but Dinah my wife has a Gregory Deva 60 she really likes. Way to big for the Camino (even though she still wants to use it) you might check that brand out to see if they have something that might work for you other than the Deuter. I know my Osprey Kestral works for me but it has no real padding on the waist so see what they have in women's packs. Just typin as I go

Just a thought, but I haven't looked a women's packs but Dinah my wife has a Gregory Deva 60 she really likes. Way to big for the Camino (even though she still wants to use it) you might check that brand out to see if they have something that might work for you other than the Deuter. I know my Osprey Kestral works for me but it has no real padding on the waist so see what they have in women's packs. Just typin as I go
Thanks. I will take a look. The Deuter fits perfectly, and I wear a men's pack. Women's packs are way too narrow in the shoulders.

1. For the first time in more than 25 years, I suffered some chafing--from a bum bag I used around my waist. I bought body glide for prevention, but is there anything you use as a 'cure'? I have welt-like redness, pain, itching.

Deb:
I have no suggestions as to how to heal such chafing, except to not wear the said bum bag until the chafing has healed. But with regards to avoiding future chafing, if the glide does not work as hoped for and you want to go on using the bum bag, you might consider a very primitive prevention strategy: pad the area under the strap where it chafes. If the chafing is over an old scar, this might help where higher-tech solutions do not. I have needed to do this in the past a where very heavy hiking pack was doing nasty things to my waist. It should be doable for an October - November camino where heat is less of an issue. Good luck in sorting this out.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).

Go!
Hi Debrita - COMPOUND tincture of Benzoin is said to toughen skin - you have to ask for it at the pharmacy - it's behind the counter. It has an odor, though, so may not be of much use on the Camino.

A a silky camisole might help. Looks like you'll be going during cooler weather.

I'm going to be more careful hiking with extra straps. My pack doesn't cause me problems, although I occasionally notice a chafing-like feeling between my inner arms and pack straps---the ones I place my arms through to wear the pack. They're a bit too padded, and stick out just a little at the side. Not enough to bother me, especially with a long sleeved merino wool shirt. In other words, I'll be mindful.

Thanks for the silky camisole suggestion. I won't completely dismiss it! ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Get a pack with an external or internal frame large enough to carry it all. The weight of the pack should get transferred to the hips via the hip belt. Then get rid of the bum bag. Et voila, no chafing.

If its chafing now, imagine what it would be like to wear for 35 days ... you gotta get rid of the bum bag.

1. You don't need a bum bag, just pockets.
2. Buy a Smartube for drinking
3. Use leminjuinpce to taughen the skin of your feet
4. Always mind your back, especially when putting on And removing your bag, and take a voltaren a day for prevention
5. No idea what these shoes are, but boots are not needed.
Formwieght lossm, don' t expect to walk 20 k a week and loise the same as walking 20km a day. Just walk and don't over ndulge and the weight will come off.

1. Ditch the bum bag.
2. the Deuter 32 liter pack should work just fine
3. getting "skin ready"? really? sounds kinda silly, ha ha....but I suppose if you want to toughen your feet walk around outside barefoot
4. planking and pushups
5. wear the trail runners

eat lots of fruit, steamed veggies and chicken and fish

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
2. Personally, I would never keep my money in my pack, but divide it up in various pickets in my pants.
3. Ever since I got nasty blisters back in 2007 ( first Camino), I have faithfully soaked my feet in a strong tea solution for the last couple of weeks before starting the
Camino. This year, I forgot! What happened? I got a big blister on my heel only 2 days into my Camino! At the time, I blamed it on those horribly irregular paving stones that we walked on for days in Portugal, but now I'm just wondering.....?

Just a thought . . . .I use a shoulder bag to keep all my 'bits and bobs' in (phone, passport, credential, cash, diary, chapstick, tissues etc). It’s sturdy and can go with me everywhere. I can then leave my pack unattended if need be and not worry about it. It also distributes a little weight to the front (like the Aarn pack principles).
It’s so much more comfortable than a bumbag would be. The brand I have used and loved for all my travel since 2003 is STM (from Australia).
I have the Link at the moment http://www.stmbags.com.au/catalog/ipad-bags/link-iPad-shoulder-bag/

I use a shoulder bag to keep all my 'bits and bobs' in (phone, passport, credential, cash, diary, chapstick, tissues etc). It’s sturdy and can go with me everywhere. I can then leave my pack unattended if need be and not worry about it. It also distributes a little weight to the front (like the Aarn pack principles). It’s so much more comfortable than a bumbag would be.
I agree with this. I have made a perfect (well, almost) little bag to serve my precise needs. It has reflective tape and can be attached to the sternum strap of my backpack to wear as a bib. I never take it off during the day.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What a lot to think about. Thank you.

The bum bag: oh, it's already gone. Nice Eagles allusion there.

Seriously, I've relegated it to the top shelf back, out of view, and have cursed it a few times.

@CaminoDebrita
Do you sew at all?

I can see where this is going! Sew pockets along my pack straps?

Sadly, I was absolutely LAME at sewing as a young woman, and it kind of put me off. I do have a friend down the road who sews very well, and I am donating all the flowers for her wedding on Sunday. Perhaps I could call on her to reciprocate something?

What do you have in mind?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I agree with this. I have made a perfect (well, almost) little bag to serve my precise needs. It has reflective tape and can be attached to the sternum strap of my backpack to wear as a bib. I never take it off during the day.
It sounds as though it might have a nice strap of its own, and perhaps some buttons or velcro to attach?

What do you have in mind?
In fact, this is more of a design and construction project. Only some short straight lines of sewing are required. Here on this blog post, I describe what I made last year. I liked it so much that I am making a new even more perfect version right now. I disassembled my original one to re-use the zippers, so I HAVE to finish the new one. I have until October.

I wear my bum bag outside of my clothes so there is zero chafing. It keeps my money and passport handy.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I wear my bum bag outside of my clothes so there is zero chafing. It keeps my money and passport handy.
You all I assume are referring to fanny packs correct?

Another thought some Aussies I walked with took very small day packs & reverse wore them on the front along with there normal pack on there back looked uncomfortable to me but they didn't seem to notice them, always had their water, cameras & the items they used most.

How much do you need to keep in your bum bag - just passport, money, credencial, or a bit more, like a camera, or even more like a water bottle?
My solution last year was to have a pouch that attached to my rucksack waist strap (http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/lifeventure-large-belt-pack-p191477) on one side and a water bottle pouch on the other side.
This year I added a camera and it was not enough so I adapted a slightly bigger small shoulder bag, by adding 2 loops on either side which slid across my waist strap and I replaced the thick should strap with a thin piece of cord. A bit 'Heath Robinsonish' but it worked well. I could easily take the pouch off the strap when I went to get a coffee and leave my rucksack without a worry.

Or... you could buy a Macabi skirt and skip the bumbag.
The pockets in the Macabi have room for a cow, much less everything else.
There is a special telephone pocket, a zippered pocket for your cash, and very deep pockets that comfortably hold water bottles, etc.

How much do you need to keep in your bum bag - just passport, money, credencial, or a bit more, like a camera, or even more like a water bottle?
My solution last year was to have a pouch that attached to my rucksack waist strap (http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/lifeventure-large-belt-pack-p191477) on one side and a water bottle pouch on the other side.
This year I added a camera and it was not enough so I adapted a slightly bigger small shoulder bag, by adding 2 loops on either side which slid across my waist strap and I replaced the thick should strap with a thin piece of cord. A bit 'Heath Robinsonish' but it worked well. I could easily take the pouch off the strap when I went to get a coffee and leave my rucksack without a worry.

@C clearly has a very, very nice looking pouch that she has created for herself, and has given thought to every aspect of it. I think she should market them.

Or... you could buy a Macabi skirt and skip the bumbag.
The pockets in the Macabi have room for a cow, much less everything else.
There is a special telephone pocket, a zippered pocket for your cash, and very deep pockets that comfortably hold water bottles, etc.
I researched them extensively, and decided I would be irritated wearing one. I just don't like that much fabric around my body.

Some nationality trained me not to say "fanny pack" as I think fanny meant something different---could have been all the Aussies I worked with in Cambodia??

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Soooo.... do you walk naked? :eek:
Ha, ha! That would scare off the bad guys now, wouldn't it?

I would not be opposed to walking in a skirt with less "A line" and closer to the body a bit. The Macabi seems like a lot of fabric to me, and I am more of a pants person, although I have been trying some skirt hiking. I found my thighs touch at the top and I was afraid of chafing, but at the point I depart on Camino, that may be a non-issue. I did buy a hiking skirt that I've used, but nothing suits like good yoga pants or my technical pants from REI. I also like my technical pants with zip-off legs, and they do have a lot of pockets!

C clearly, thanks for sharing the link of your bag. One question though. How do the 4 side loops attach to the front of your backpack? Are these loops elastic? I'm thinking about making one. We're you happy with the fabric you used?

Some nationality trained me not to say "fanny pack" as I think fanny meant something different---could have been all the Aussies I worked with in Cambodia??

So many differences between you Yanks and we Brits - "two nations divided by a common language" :) In British usage "fanny" is a distinctly female body part. On the same thread British men do not wear "suspenders" unless they are auditioning for the Rocky Horror Show. So many traps for the unwary traveller (which we spell with two 'l's just to be awkward...)

Ha, ha! That would scare off the bad guys now, wouldn't it?

I would not be opposed to walking in a skirt with less "A line" and closer to the body a bit. The Macabi seems like a lot of fabric to me, and I am more of a pants person, although I have been trying some skirt hiking. I found my thighs touch at the top and I was afraid of chafing, but at the point I depart on Camino, that may be a non-issue. I did buy a hiking skirt that I've used, but nothing suits like good yoga pants or my technical pants from REI. I also like my technical pants with zip-off legs, and they do have a lot of pockets!
I am taking Royal Robins discovery skirt wearing Jockey anti cling Skimmers, a very lightweight, no seam, bikers short length undies. I've made some merino wool 2 way stretch fabric tights for the colder temp I'll run into in October. I'm also bringing a super lightweight rain skirt.

I converted a pair of LLBean trekking pants, with 6 zippers into a skirt. The pants were too hot but as a skirt the fabric is great, cool and dries quickly.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Some men wear suspenders in England ;)

To toughen my feet I soaked them in surgical spirit each night for twenty mins. Grandparents taught me this when preparing feet for army boots back in the day.

Def hardens your feet

How do the 4 side loops attach to the front of your backpack? Are these loops elastic? I'm thinking about making one. We're you happy with the fabric you used?
I am attaching a photo of the pouch in use last fall. It also looks like I have a snack inside as well as the "design contents" since it looks a bit bulky. In the photo I had it attached to the hip belt. Later in the trip I started attaching it a little higher and in front, using improvised elastic cord and caribiners. The second photo shows the attachment I'm using for the new one. Obviously the loose end of the connector will be looped through the pouch loops.
  • The fabric is a regular coated rip-stop nylon, fairly lightweight. It is generally waterproof/resistant but the finished pouch is not. I was happy with this. I thought about using lighter weight fabric for some of the interior sides but decided it might not be durable enough.
  • There are several ways to attach the loops and you can experiment as you walk. I used carabiner hooks and diaper pins to attach the loops at various places on the backpack straps. I like it to be easy to unhook if I want to remove my pack, without ever removing the bag from my body. This year I am going an extra step and use the kind of quick release tether that is shown in the attached photo, attached to the pack pockets higher up. I acquired 2 of these connectors (very small) but don't know where one would buy them.
  • The loops on the pouch are not elastic. (There could be an annoying bounce.) But I like to have a small selection of carabiners, pins, and elastic cord so I can entertain myself with testing and adjustments as I walk!
  • The length of my shoulder strap was adjustable with one of the thingies you squeeze to tighten (also shown in photo). Therefore I had to use a strap/ribbon that would fit inside that device. My new one will have a slightly thicker cord and will not be adjustable in length. I found that a fixed length was OK.
  • This year I will put a zipper on the front pouch for my phone and I'll add an open-top pouch at the back. This way I will know exactly where all of my items are supposed to be, and the pockets will all be the right size.
There are a few challenges that I am still playing with in my mind...
  • How to be sure I can assemble all of this and sew the zippers without "painting myself into a corner" where I can't get it on the sewing machine for the last seam!
  • How to use it in a fierce rain storm. I accept that it will not be waterproof and I have to put it inside my jacket. But that would prevent it being used as a reflective bib, exactly in the weather when I need it! So I've decided that in Galician rain, my guide book and phone (which is always attached with a tether anyway) will just ride inside my jacket front in the kangaroo pouch created by the hip strap of my back pack around my roomy jacket. Then I can wear the reflective bib outside my jacket and let it get wet.
If you have further questions or suggestions, feel free to PM me. I am working on my new version now. As you can tell, I am so delighted to answer specific questions about this!:) I am spending an inordinate amount of time on this, but that's OK since I am (mostly) retired and need to exercise my brain.
20141021_105306.jpg 20150711_082741_noexif.jpg

Attachments

• 20141021_105306.jpg
    20141021_105306.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20150711_082741_noexif.jpg
    20150711_082741_noexif.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 48
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So many differences between you Yanks and we Brits - "two nations divided by a common language" :) In British usage "fanny" is a distinctly female body part. On the same thread British men do not wear "suspenders" unless they are auditioning for the Rocky Horror Show. So many traps for the unwary traveller (which we spell with two 'l's just to be awkward...)
We Canadians also spell it with two lls, also colour, cheque, etc. Happy to see the varied solutions for this subject.

I am attaching a photo of the pouch in use last fall]
Brilliant! I'm impressed!
And I so much prefer the name 'pouch! Than other words used here! (Actually, if I was speaking Italian, I would call it a 'canguro')

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I used this waist pack all the way to Santiago without a problem. It's padded around the waist so maybe it'd work for you. Loved all the compartments, especially side money pouch, bottle holders and inner pocket where my passport stayed dry (no sweat). I attached a sunglass holder (from Walmart) on the side. I always had everything I needed at my fingertips. I ended up sending my pack ahead a few days, and this was all I needed to carry, including my cell, tablet, phone and snacks.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WLGO372/?tag=casaivar02-20

I used this waist pack all the way to Santiago without a problem. It's padded around the waist so maybe it'd work for you. Loved all the compartments, especially side money pouch, bottle holders and inner pocket where my passport stayed dry (no sweat). I attached a sunglass holder (from Walmart) on the side. I always had everything I needed at my fingertips. I ended up sending my pack ahead a few days, and this was all I needed to carry, including my cell, tablet, phone and snacks.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WLGO372/?tag=casaivar02-20
Could you give me an example of what items you need 'at the ready'? I'm doing that now...

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
C Clearly, how abou cutting an envelope the same shape of the purse from the same plastic you used for the waterproof part of your pouch, but large enough to fit the pouch in.

I've got a purchased waterproof bum bag/fanny pack I've used while swimming. It uses a double stitched ( like seams of blue jeans) plastic tape, the way you would use bias tape if you were finishing a potholder to sew the edges. This edging makes my pouch waterproof even when submerged. Your pouch doesn't have to be that watertight.

Waist pack items:
ATM card
Camera
Cell
Chapstick
Credential
Ear buds
Euros
Extra camera batteries
Eye & sun glasses
Passport
Pen
Route book
Small pad of paper
Sunscreen
Tablet
T.P.
Water bottles

Unfortunately, I didn't take a smartphone, so I needed three items (cell/camera/tablet) + batteries. :(

how about cutting an envelope the same shape of the purse from the same plastic you used for the waterproof part of your pouch
I haven't used any plastic liner. The fabric is coated on the inside. The pouch should be fairly waterproof but maybe not 100% in all-day driving rain. I should just put my phone and my guidebook in a ziplock bag inside the pouch!

There seem to be lots of good bags available, but most of them are bulkier than I want or have some detail missing like those loops. I don't like velcro because of the noise and it picks up stuff. I want something as trim as possible so I will not be tempted to remove it or stuff full of miscellaneous things.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Waist pack items:
ATM card
Camera
Cell
Chapstick
Credential
Ear buds
Euros
Extra camera batteries
Eye & sun glasses
Passport
Pen
Route book
Small pad of paper
Sunscreen
Tablet
T.P.
Water bottles

Unfortunately, I didn't take a smartphone, so I needed three items (cell/camera/tablet) + batteries. :(
Hi BJ, I have all of the above with the exception of tablet and ear buds. I also have 2 plastic trash bags (folded down to 2 sq ins.) a whistle, soap buds (I'm a hand washer), a tiny flashlight, a vial if salt and a handkerchief. Thanks for sharing your list. Maggie

I am taking Royal Robins discovery skirt wearing Jockey anti cling Skimmers, a very lightweight, no seam, bikers short length undies. I've made some merino wool 2 way stretch fabric tights for the colder temp I'll run into in October. I'm also bringing a super lightweight rain skirt.

I converted a pair of LLBean trekking pants, with 6 zippers into a skirt. The pants were too hot but as a skirt the fabric is great, cool and dries quickly.
What a great idea for the skirt. Do you hire out?:>) I've been looking for a super light-weight skirt (to wear with leggings) that doesn't cost a fortune. I'm on a bit of a budget, and while I know that 'getting the best' is better, I simply cannot afford a Merino wardrobe. I'll be walking a week in Sept and all of October. Maggie

Prepare for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
What a great idea for the skirt. Do you hire out?:>) I've been looking for a super light-weight skirt (to wear with leggings) that doesn't cost a fortune. I'm on a bit of a budget, and while I know that 'getting the best' is better, I simply cannot afford a Merino wardrobe. I'll be walking a week in Sept and all of October. Maggie

movinmaggie:
I am taking my Tilley walking skirt that I bought in the Tilley store in Victoria a couple of years ago. I took it for five weeks in New Zealand last winter. You might go into their store and have a look, or check out their online stock at:
www.tilley.com/. I also have a Tilley hat and would not consider travelling without it. You'll be a few days before me on the camino, so I am wishing you "Buen camino," as I am planning to be a slow walker.

movinmaggie:
I am taking my Tilley walking skirt that I bought in the Tilley store in Victoria a couple of years ago. I took it for five weeks in New Zealand last winter. You might go into their store and have a look, or check out their online stock at:
www.tilley.com/. I also have a Tilley hat and would not consider travelling without it. You'll be a few days before me on the camino, so I am wishing you "Buen camino," as I am planning to be a slow walker.
Hi Albertagirl; I will definitely check out the Tilley store here. Who knows our paths may still cross. Likewise I do wish you a Buen camino…and thank you for the suggestions.

It looks like you're not wearing a backpack? Are you just using one set of clothes that you are wearing?
Love the waist pack
Back packs on this trip is a whole nother story. I am on a group walk and the cost covers transport. I am carrying a backpack (same one I took on Camino with everything). I had probably dropped it as we usually take breaks around these stones for lots of picture taking. I carry with me water, snacks, some cooler weather and rain gear, extra socks, and a few other things I don't want to be without. I have another pack with far too much in it that is being transported. As for regular clothes, I dress as I did on Camino---one pants, 2 tee shirts, Macabi skirt and a long sleeve shirt. I prefer lighter traveling as I did in Spain but this walk is an entirely different thing. St Olav's is more of a hike than a walk.

€46,-
Movinmaggie, why not try to find some inexpensive lightweight cargo pants with those extra pockets and convert them to a skirt. Go to Pinterest for easy instructions.

Mccalls M6360 is a super easy leggings pattern that, if you can believe, is made with only 1 pattern piece. I used stretch wool jersey with lycra that I bought online from Mood fabrics. Expensive fabric but cheaper than purchased pieces.

Movinmaggie, why not try to find some inexpensive lightweight cargo pants with those extra pockets and convert them to a skirt. Go to Pinterest for easy instructions.

Mccalls M6360 is a super easy leggings pattern that, if you can believe, is made with only 1 pattern piece. I used stretch wool jersey with lycra that I bought online from Mood fabrics. Expensive fabric but cheaper than purchased pieces.
Fabulous idea; I do have a seamstress that I'm sure could do this for me….thanks so much.

I used stretch wool jersey with lycra
Do you use a serger? I don't have one and can't really justify buying one to make my camino underwear! Maybe I could buy one for my daughter and then borrow it.
The conversion of cargo pants to skirt would be fun to do, but I think I prefer wearing the pants. Also, my shoulder bag project seems to be taking up a ridiculous amount of time!

Do you use a serger? I don't have one and can't really justify buying one to make my camino underwear! Maybe I could buy one for my daughter and then borrow it.
The conversion of cargo pants to skirt would be fun to do, but I think I prefer wearing the pants. Also, my shoulder bag project seems to be taking up a ridiculous amount of time!
But soon, your bag project may become the next hottest item to have! Good on you. I do have leggings; they're more like soft tights; thus the need for a skirt. I find them very comfortable. I also do have walking pants (& waterproof pants) that I certainly intent to wear. You can go back to your bag now:>). Maggie

Prepare for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2

1. Try applying some Hydrocortisone cream to the site if irritation. it's a anti inflammatory.
2. I think you pack is too small. I would recommend a 40 liter Osprey Talon. it comes in female sizes and is adjustable. I attach a ZPack chest bag to the front of my pack. It holds all my possibles.
3. Can't help here. Just take good care of your feet or they will let you down.
4. I don't know how tall you are or what you weigh but I would suggest that you have reached the stage of conditioning where for every pound of fat you loose you gain a pound of muscle mass. That's good! Walking and bike riding will strengthen back and back support muscles. That's good too.
5. I can't walk long distance wearing soft soled shoes and I don't like the weight of boots. I recommend a good low cut hard soled vibram type shoe. I like the Adidas TerreX . Butt Ugly but bomb prof and built to last. Built in roll bars and a heavy duty nylon shank. Provide great stability without high tops.
Carbs and more carbs. Professional runners load up on carbs. I try to do the same when walking the Camino.
Buen Camino

Happy Trails
Go!

Do you use a serger? I don't have one and can't really justify buying one to make my camino underwear!
I don't have a serger but my Bernina has a stitch that is good for stretch fabric. Zig zag stitch would probably work too.

Maybe when your finished with your pouch you could develop a pattern to sell on etsy.

Go!

Regarding question 4- walking, hiking, even jogging is good for the lower back. You are building your muscles, abdominals and so forth. This gives you are stronger back. Helps to keep moving to keep from stiffness as well.
Buen Camino!
Katie

I just retired from full-time teaching at the secondary level, and my activity level is much better. I enjoy being outside, hiking and biking much more than being stuck in a room for eight hours (at least) a day!

Most read last week in this forum

Round the corner and up the hill from the Pilgrims Office in Santiago, about 50m away, is the Faculty of Medicine's huge cafeteria that must be able to seat between 200 and 300 people. They have a...
In 2018, I completed my first Camino de Santiago. Those 34 days were magical, filled with stunning landscapes and connections with fellow pilgrims from around the world. What was meant to be a...
Well sorry for the long absence! I dropped offline and into Camino life and can't wait to go back (but unfortunately it won't be soon)! I won't say the Camino was an easy experience for me, or...
Hi all. I will be walking the Camino Frances in September ( I started in Le Puy in 2022 and will “finish” this year!) and hope to stay at the ALBERGUE Peregrinos Ribadiso around September 21. I’m...
If you take the route to Ventosa after Navarette there is a brand new bar/cafe I highly recommend. They've been open 4 days as of today June 12 . A local bee keeper started it and it is great...
Anyone know if Albergue de San Roque, in Villambistia is open? Wise Pilgrim stars it may be closed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.