• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flags on backpacks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I can't provide answer your specific question but it does lead to another interesting question:

Is it in the spirit of the Camino to have flag patches on your packs or carry flags with you?

I understand the sense of pride in one's country, that it is interesting to see where people are from and that it could be a shortcut to identifying whether or not that person may be able to speak your language. I remember seeing a troop of people marching along the Camino with the person in front carring a South Korean flag, Olympic ceremony style. I thought it a little odd, and to me at the time was a statement of difference and separation from others on the Camino, rather that a statement of community and togetherness.

This is a step or two up from having a patch on your pack, or wearing an item of clothing identifying where you are from but it made me more alert to country identification from that point on.

At the time I thought "this is the Camino, leave your country behind for now, be here instead". Too judgemental perhaps.

I would be interested in others' thoughts.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Some of our kids had tshirts with NZ-ish logos on them - and frequently people stopped us to say "Hi Kiwi-family"! (and you know what? I think kiwis are the most unpatriotic in the whole world, except where rugby is concerned! We have a very limited sense of national identity)
And now that we are home, our lad who lost his cap and replaced it with a Camino one, proudly wears it in NZ.
Many backpackers pop flags on their packs to show where they've been or where they are from. I had never considered that this might be offensive to some!
As for the Asian group following a flag, it is a VERY Asian thing to do (or more frequently to follow an umbrella). When we were travelling for almost a year through South East Asia, we found our little kids playing "You follow my umbrella" - even though we never joined one of those tours! It must have been quite noticeable even to preschoolers.
I guess it's a good idea for us to give the benefit of the doubt, rather than jumping to conclusions about separatism or elitism.

Kiwi-family said:
...and you know what? I think kiwis are the most unpatriotic in the whole world, except where rugby is concerned! We have a very limited sense of national identity....

hmmmmmmmmmmm...Is your comment tongue in cheek? ...Have you noticed how many Forum members we have named Kiwi-x, Kiwi-y, Kiwi-z....and then,of course, we even have our very own Kiwi-Family! Lol....and what about that NZ TV slogan which was plastered on national TV day and night the last time I was back home, 'Proud to be a Kiwi' .

I think I definitely disagree..... :lol:

It was my observation, not a scientific one I assure you, that Canada and Brasil flags-on-packs were the most common. One Canadian pilgrim left dozens of little flags on stacker stones toward the end of the Camino Frances. From IMDB:
Why is there a flag of Japan on Tom's backpack?

According to the producers, who were asked that question during a Q&A held in New York on Oct. 6, 2011, they instructed the prop department to adorn the backpack so that it reflected his son Daniel's extensive travels.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In the movie Tom's son dropped out of college to see the world. The Japanese flag was one of his stops.

I love having my flag on my backpack - and a flag patch on my hat - and I've even got running shorts in the South African flag colours.
One year I was walking near Maneru when two men walking behind us asked if it was the South African flag. I said yes it was and one of the men told me that he had a friend in South Africa by the name of Sil. I thought he was kidding (BIG country - unusual name) but when I told him that my name was also Sil he asked if I was 'Sil' from the Forum! He was Javier Martin and we had often 'chatted' on and off the forum. People don't always recognize it though. I've had people say, "Hello Jamaica!" or some other mistaken country!
In 2007, when I visited Ivar in his Camino Helper office, Sue Kenny arrived as well. She mentioned my South African flag shorts (which I had on under a pair of chill-cheater longs). They were most surprised when I dropped my trousers to show them my shorts!

Pilgrims have always walked with insignia and souvenirs on their cloaks and hats, showing where they were from and which shrines they have visited. The English medieval poet, William Langland (c1332-c1400) who was vehemently opposed to pilgrimage , wrote sarcastically of a pilgrim in Piers Plowman. In his eyes, pilgrims were fools to go on pilgrimage and would never find a Saint called Truth.

An hundreth of ampulles on his hatt seten,
Signes of Synay and the shelles of Galice
And many a cruche on his cloke and keyes of Rome,
And the vernicle bifore; for men shulde knowe
And se bi his signes whom he soughte had.

Attachments

• Lugo to Santiago0002.JPG
    Lugo to Santiago0002.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 3,601
lovingkindness said:
Kiwi-family said:
...and you know what? I think kiwis are the most unpatriotic in the whole world, except where rugby is concerned! We have a very limited sense of national identity....

hmmmmmmmmmmm...Is your comment tongue in cheek? ...Have you noticed how many Forum members we have named Kiwi-x, Kiwi-y, Kiwi-z....and then,of course, we even have our very own Kiwi-Family! Lol....and what about that NZ TV slogan which was plastered on national TV day and night the last time I was back home, 'Proud to be a Kiwi' .

I think I definitely disagree..... :lol:

I tink I agree & think it's good to loose a game too :wink:

ps. don't do kiwi flag but have NZ sheep t-shirt(as you know there are millions more of them than people :lol: )

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In their book The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago, David Gitlitz and Linda Davidson describe how pilgrims from different nations were put into different groups in the cathedral during mass. This was mainly so that they wouldn't 'donner' each other (as they were wont to do) and to prevent running battles inside the cathedral which could result in bloodshed. If blood was spilled the cathedral would have to be reconsecrated.

305456.jpg

I am proud to be English, but I don't ram it down people's throats. However on my recent Ingles and Finisterra caminos I did get fed up of people thinking I was German or Italian (Spaniards) and almost everyone thinking I was Spanish. And after last Saturday the last thing I would mention would be rugby in case I was accused of mocking the afflicted. But Lise T you have to admit both teams gave us a match to remember.
allan

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I carry a small boxing kangaroo and Australian flag in my pack to remind me of home and help celebrate occasions such as ANZAC Day when I am away - great talking piece.

Sharon :D

Walking the Le Puy route, I saw a couple Canadian patches, one Australian, one French patch and two Brittany flags. No German patches noticed (although I did notice many more German flags on houses and buildings, in Germany, in the run-up to the UEFA matches -- Germans seem to be beginning to be ok with displaying their national colors again).

I'm an American, and I attempt to remove all national indications from my kit. Perhaps this is from a desire to not be seen as "just another ugly American", a desire to have a more authentic experience by being less noticeable and blending in better. More likely it's a matter of the travel precautions preached at us by the security staff.

Al the optimist said:
I am proud to be English, but I don't ram it down people's throats. However on my recent Ingles and Finisterra caminos I did get fed up of people thinking I was German or Italian (Spaniards) and almost everyone thinking I was Spanish. And after last Saturday the last thing I would mention would be rugby in case I was accused of mocking the afflicted. But Lise T you have to admit both teams gave us a match to remember.
allan

Years ago - when I was travelling around Europe,Asia and beyond, often hitch-hiking, I had the union flag sewn onto my pack, and often got good lifts etc because of it.
I did consider doing the same on camino, but decided against it: there are those out there who don't like the English (can't think why) - no names/nationalities mentioned....
A certain anonymity is perhaps a good thing sometimes. :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wore a Canadian flag on my pack and a small flag pin on my shirt. Got many positive comments, much discussion on my home and native land. Gave away many of the small flag pins. Urged people to visit, to see the Rockies near Vancouver or come to Toronto, hop on a bus for the short trip to Niagara Falls.

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
I wonder if I could get all the flags of the coalition of the willing* onto my pack? :wink:

*Afghanistan, Albania, Angola, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Colombia, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Georgia, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Japan, Kuwait, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Mongolia, Netherlands, Nicaragua, Palau, Panama, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Rwanda, Singapore, Slovakia, Solomon Islands, South Korea, Spain, Tonga, Turkey, Uganda, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States, Uzbekistan

falcon269 said:
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
I wonder if I could get all the flags of the coalition of the willing* onto my pack? :wink:

*Afghanistan, Albania, Angola, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Colombia, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Georgia, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Japan, Kuwait, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Mongolia, Netherlands, Nicaragua, Palau, Panama, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Rwanda, Singapore, Slovakia, Solomon Islands, South Korea, Spain, Tonga, Turkey, Uganda, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States, Uzbekistan

Don't know which coalition you're referring to, but if it's ISAF (Afghanistan) then you've missed out a lot of contributing countries, according to the latest - Oct 2012 - list.....
and this seems a bit of a stretch from pilgrims carrying their own identification on their pack....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I always have a Canadian flag or a pin attached to my gear because I am proud of my country and also to let people know I am not American especially in non English speaking countries . What is really funny is that I have come across some Americans you have the Canadian flag on their packs thinking they will get better treatment than they would if people knew they were Americans.

One of the reasons I love the camino is because it does not matter where you come from. I live in Spain, and come from the United States of America. Here on the camino I have been insulted and dissed for being American, have had Canadians offer me "honorary citizenship" (which I find kinda insulting, as if I should be ashamed of my birthplace) and other Europeans "forgive" me for it. :roll: I am what I am. (and what I am is not George W. Bush. Got that?)

I won´t tell you what my response is to these "lighthearted comments," but I can tell you the Camino de Santiago is a lot older than the USA or Canada or NZ or Australia or even Germany, Italy, Belgium, the Netherlands, or just about any modern state. It´s nice to have a common football/rugby/Olympic team, it is nice to have colors and kilts and anthems, but the things that unite us are much greater and more enduring.

I don´t label myself with a flag or nationality -- my accent does that for me.
We are on the Camino de Santiago, in a place that is bigger than all that. It would be nice if we could leave behind our presumptions and pretensions of nations, and just get along for a little while.

Reb.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Canadians offer me "honorary citizenship"
Did you remind them that Alberta is much closer than Iraq the next time the U.S needs oil!!! :mrgreen:

Now, sense of humo(u)r, Canadians...

Rebekah Scott said:
It would be nice if we could leave behind our presumptions and pretensions of nations, and just get along for a little while. Reb.

Of course it would. And we do! I still have two 'flags' on my backpack - the Union Jack and this Forum 'flag'!
I guess it depends WHY they are there. Mine's there to say "I speak English" for anyone who wants to chat: I have walked several caminos where I've heard no English spoken for a week at a time - and I've missed it! I speak Spanish well enough to get by, but it's nice to have a chat in one's native tongue.
So my flags are are nothing to do 'presumptions and pretensions'.
Buen Camino!

Stephen
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

€46,-
The 65 on the backpack indicates the size in liters of the backpack. IMDB is Internet Movie Data Base.

jastrace said:
Is it in the spirit of the Camino to have flag patches on your packs or carry flags with you?
... At the time I thought "this is the Camino, leave your country behind for now, be here instead". Too judgemental perhaps.

I would be interested in others' thoughts.
It had not dawned on me to put a flag on my pack until I met a fellow Australian who had been away from home for a few years and was feeling just a tad homesick. It was probably the mother in me that dutifully sewed it on my pack when he offered me a flag.

It was rather fun actually as I seemed to come across a lot of people to whom I had spoken at various times but with whom I had never exchanged names. These pilgrims ranged from the fellow to whom I lent a pen who, every time I saw him would call out "Australia, come and have a drink!" (of course, that's not necessarily a positive) to the pilgrim in the Cathedral at Santiago who made room for me on the pew calling "Australia, over here!" when she saw me in a standing-room-only crush at Pilgrim Mass time.

Despite the benefits, I don't have a flag on the pack I've used the last few years and have no intentions of sewing one on ... unless I happen to meet another homesick Aussie.

To Kennedy 1......I am Remy from Indianapolis and yes I am American ( not an ugly one though ) and yes, I, too love my country. My family migrated to the U.S. 42 years ago and never regretted coming to America. My husband is a U.S.Marine Corp disabled veteran of the Vietnam war. We raised 4 children: a schoolteacher, a doctor of International Relations, a paramedic and a prosecuting attorney. It breaks my old heart to read that there are Americans who would rather pretend they're from another country just so they'd be treated nicely. (maybe they should move somewhere else if they are so unhappy?) I believe that if you live with integrity and follow the Golden Rule then you don't have to worry about people that have negative attitudes toward their fellow human beings. They're the ones with the problem. I don't know why the Camino is calling me, maybe because I needed to commune with my God and ask for forgiveness for questioning him when my eldest and only daughter died of cancer. Or maybe because I believe the Camino should be a place for PEACE for ALL the people of this world no matter where you're from. And yes I am proud to be an American whether people treat me nicely or not.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have always been treated nicely in France and Spain. It is a bit of an urban myth that Americans are hated. Merchants in big cities might be universally arrogant, so I avoid big cities. In the villages everyone is a potential customer, so they treat you well. Especially during the Bush era, some fellow pilgrims liked to engage in political discussions, always in a friendly way. In general they did not understand why the U.S. was making the decisions it was. However, there was no hostility toward individual Americans. No one was forced to engage in such discussions, particularly if they thought they were anti-American. The current political debate among U.S. political parties is far more hostile than anything I encountered in Europe. I am a Vietnam veteran, and I have never taken opposition to the Vietnam War personally. Similarly, I don't take opposition to U.S. policy and actions personally. In democracies half "the people" may be against any particular policy. Anyone who needs 100% accord is better suited to totalitarian countries, say North Korea! :D

No flags on our packs but the Forum and CSJ badges together with our home Cathedral badge and one of the Cathedral in Santiago, added this year. More about why we are there than where we are from. :)

I carried a large Union Flag at the back of my bike when I cycled across Spain just after the Falklands war, sewn on to my sleeping bag .. not for any nationalist reason but to let motorists behind me know that I was a foreigner. It never occurred to me that it might not have been a good idea until an Argentinian tried to cut my throat in Barcelona - but there you go ...

Tom was carrying Daniels' pack - Daniel had placed things on it and was luckily carrying two waterproof jackets when he died, the orange one he was wearing and the blue one that Tom found in the pack ..... :wink:

I love that film!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One of the reasons I love the camino is because it does not matter where you come from. I live in Spain, and come from the United States of America. Here on the camino I have been insulted and dissed for being American, have had Canadians offer me "honorary citizenship" (which I find kinda insulting, as if I should be ashamed of my birthplace) and other Europeans "forgive" me for it. I am what I am. (and what I am is not George W. Bush. Got that?)

On my two Caminos, I spoke with a number of fellow Americans who noted the variety of flags on pilgrim packs and the remarkable absence of the Stars and Stripes on packs. As Rebekah was, many of us were often insulted about being Americans by pilgrims from other countries and decided not to wear a flag as a protective move. I would often ask critical fellow travelers how appropriate it would be if they inserted "women," or "Arabs," or "Jews," etc. for the word "American" in their comments and found that many realized their mistake. For example, if someone said, "You Americans are only concerned about money," I would say, "Would you say, 'You Jews are only concerned about money?'"

I feel blessed to be an American. At the same time, I see no need to wave a red (white & blue) flag in the eyes of those who don't feel the same affection for my country as I do.

Ann

Those insults, for being born in America (or anywhere else) ...Anyone that can generalise about 375 million people as if they are all the same isn't really worth listening to, don't you think?
One can also say that anyone that can miss the difference between what a government does and what the people do, isn't worth listening to either ...life is too short ... :?

I wear a walking, booted-up New Zealand Kiwi on a patch on my backpack- and have done for the last two Caminos. And I love it. Like everything about the Camino- 'flags or no flags' is a personal choice- and I'm finding it hard to understand why anyone would bother to make judgements about another for it.
Margaret

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
KiwiNomad06 said:
I wear a walking, booted-up New Zealand Kiwi on a patch on my backpack- and have done for the last two Caminos. And I love it. Like everything about the Camino- 'flags or no flags' is a personal choice- and I'm finding it hard to understand why anyone would bother to make judgements about another for it.
Margaret

Why 'anyone would bother' depends a lot on the flag. If you come from a nonaggressive country then it would be uncontroversial, if needless to display one. If you come from a country which has rampaged round the planet now or in the past, and there's a few candidates, it's much more of a problem. Depends who sees it and wonders why it is displayed.

Camino de Santiago, Camino de Europa is at least a step in the right direction? How about the UN flag?

"Imagine there's no country"......

For some reason or other, I just feel like saying a special Merry Christmas to all Americans. I love your generous, dynamic and optimistic ways. If any of you choose to attach the Stars and Stripes to your backpacks, I, for one, will give you a wave.

Rob

Surely, there are no aggressive countries, only aggressive governments?
People are people, humans are humans - there is no difference, there cannot be, we are one species and are the same the world over .. let us not confuse psychopaths in power for humanity .... wear the flag of the country you were born in - why not? :|

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Someone suggested that a flag will let people know what language you speak as your native language and might encourage others to speak to you. My just received Forum Member badge will do that won 't it? Thanks for the prompt despatch Ivar.
allan

Hi, when I walked the Camino (Frances) in 2011, I had the Philippine flag on my backpack. I will use the same backpack with the Philippine flag when I walk again in Sep, 2013. Give me a wave if you happen to see me. Thanks.....Mackie

Attachments

• PA080116.JPG
    PA080116.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 2,033
Funny there's no European Union flag available on the flag option thingy on the forum. :shock:
Much more agreeable than a national flag.....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
David said:
The EU flag IS a national flag! Part of the EU process is to make a political union, making one country out of many - I loathe that!. They (Brussels) are currently distributing dvd's to schools that include the 'history' of Europe. In that it describes both world wars as 'civil wars' - I mean, really ... :|

The real point is that the vision of Europe as a whole is a beautiful concept, despite the difficulties which have arisen, caused by bankers and politicians. Its the same with Christianity and Communism, wonderful goals which go astray.

To 'loathe' one country made from many - to heal this fear will require a real change. In the UK there is irrational hysteria now about the EU in some reactionary areas, and it's tragicomedy to see this. But I wont say more, as it's not the place.

However, Europe has its flag, supranational , and it's odd to discover it's not available here.

But I can do without flags. "Nothing to kill or die for, and no religion too..."

Camino de Santiago, Camino de Europa

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Forum Badge here is for all of us, where-ever we come from. Flags are not apropriate here as we come from so many different countries.
The Camino de Santiago - Camino de Europa Badge is available from CSJ.
We have one of each on our packs along with one from Santiago - of the Cathedral (as said above)

the current movement of mankind is back into smaller autonomous groupings
We five neighbors with abutting property include an American Indian, an Asian Indian, an African American, a Jew, and a WASP. We get along pretty well! The potpourri of holiday celebrations is as tasty as it is interesting. I just don't know who to tell to go back where they came from first. :D

Perhaps I am just an optimist about diverse folks getting along.

€60,-
I was thinking of sewing the Stars and Stripes onto my pack, but I might not do so out of a desire to avoid attracting that much potential unwanted attention. Maybe the flag from Bunker Hill?
Bunker_Hill_Flag.svg

Buen Camino!
WanderingChristian

As a kiwi starting out on my world pilgrimages, i have a NZ flag sewn too the top of my pack, im currently in Australia and have just bought an aussie flag/patch to sew on my pack....my aim is to collect flags/patches of all the countrys im going too visit..(Kathmandu, Russia, Ukraine, Mongolia etc etc...and even the Camino patch) im doing this not to show off but as a reminder to me later in life... of my trip...my once in a lifetime backpacking trip round the world...everytime i look at my pack im sure to be reminded of the wild adventures ive had during my travels....it will be my momento of my trip that i did...and no one can take that away from me...im not one for collecting souvenirs so i figure a small patch is a fitting reminder of my journey..
:)

robertt said:
For some reason or other, I just feel like saying a special Merry Christmas to all Americans. I love your generous, dynamic and optimistic ways. If any of you choose to attach the Stars and Stripes to your backpacks, I, for one, will give you a wave.

Rob

Hear, Hear!
Sporting your flag gives you the opportunity to turn ugly American perceptions into positive human interactions. Show others, as Robertt stated, "your generous, dynamic and optimistic ways"!

Falcon: I'm Nicaraguan, I walked with a Nicaraguan flag patch and somewhere near Arzua I had an amazing encounter with another Nicargaguan. IT WAS SOOOOO COOL!!

It was my observation, not a scientific one I assure you, that Canada and Brasil flags-on-packs were the most common. One Canadian pilgrim left dozens of little flags on stacker stones toward the end of the Camino Frances. From IMDB:
Urgh... I know Canadians tend to put flags on their backpacks, and mainly do it as to not be confused with our neighbours to the south. I'm of the opion that if we don't want to be confused with others because of a trait about them we don't like we should make sure we do not exhibit said trait rather that glue a flag on a backpack.

I really do not like people flying their own flag as I also see it as a way of wanting to stand above or away from others, rather than only for informational purposes, as in I speak French. After all, how difficult is it to approach a fellow pilgrim and ask of they speak what have you? It's not as if there isn't a grat propetion for non anglo natives who don't speak at least some English.

This being said I have been feeling my backpack in looking too serious and needs added colours so I have been buying patches of where ot's been, not where I'm from.

I have also been decorating my Camino hat with Camino pins and those Camino ribbons they now sell.

Might as well add embelishments since I already look quite odd with kaki pants, teal backpack, yellow hat (for visibility) white, purple and fuscia Hoka One Ones. o_O

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
the coalition of the willing*
Which means? (you can PM me, @Falcon, if it's too political...)
How about taking falcon's idea one step farther and wearing all the flags of all the nations of the world, instead of only one? I kinda like that. It says "I am from earth, take your pick of countries...."
wear the flag of the country you were born in - why not? :|
I'm half Canadian, half American, from Hawai'i by birth and inclination, with legal residency in NZ (A country I very much love), and now I spend at least half the time in another country and 2/3rds of the rest of the time on the road. I'd have to wear at least 5 flags to connect all that. It's complicated.

Fortunately, it's not my thing--but I think if one must wear a flag of some sort, the Forum patch is a grand idea as it identifies language affiliation without nationalism.
(Edited for spelling...)

Last edited:
I have close ties to 3 countries (country as political and cultural entity) as well at least to 4 distinct regions and picking one of them over the other does not seem right somehow. I also actively use 4 languages in daily life and when travelling I sometimes don't make an effort to reveal which one is my mother tongue :cool:. Or that I understand what you are saying ;).
Funny, samething here. Do I use the Spanish or Canadian flag? Do I add a Quebec one and a Mexican one? And I also tend to keep quiet about home where others from here are around.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back