• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fly fishing?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I've had the same thought myself, there appears to be a number of beautiful trout streams along The Way. Some of the pilgrims meals often offer fresh fried trout and what a great addition to a meal cooked in the albergue. Make sure you get plenty, you'll need to share.

You have to bear in mind that these streams (including the trouts in them) belong to somebody, so you will need, most likely, some kind of permit. You will need time and Spanish to figure out how to get it ;-) Honestly, I do like to fish myself, but I would never take that kind of gear on the Camino. Every gram counts and every gram too much will only burden you. So my opinion would be - No, not worth it, SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would say that the majority of the streams/rivers were posted No Fishing. A few spots were posted as open to fishing. I got a haircut in Zaragoza from a fishing enthusiast. He said the fishing was great in Spain, but all his good places were away from the caminos.

You do need a permit by province, not cheap as a foreigner and fines are stiff if caught without or worse fostersail if over the limit or undersized you will get nailed for each one!

We ate lunch by a classic Hemmingway trout stream outside of Roncevalles. There were all sorts of signs about the protected trout, and a band of Gypsies had set up camp and were netting them out.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for all the input. I still have a few weeks to decide. My 3wt rod & reel together weigh 1/2 pound---not bad. Will I feel worse walking along beautiful streams without being able to fish, or carrying extra gear? Right now I'm leaning toward fishing, which, for me, is a spiritual experience in its own way.

Oh, it is catch and release on many of the streams open to fishing! Don't take a frying pan.:)

I must admit that, in five Caminos, I have never seen a pilgrim fishing, but here is a link (http://madrid.angloinfo.com/information/lifestyle/sports-and-leisure/fishing/) which can provide information on licences. I know that hunting is closely regulated in Spain and I imagine that fishing is as well. My best memory of fishing in Spain was when I was on the Vadiniense and stopped in Las Salas for the night. After a discussion with the innkeeper on what might be available for dinner that night, he sent his son out to the stream to get my supper for me. I had my breakfast orange the next day on the porch of Franco's troutfishing cottage (now rentable from the council).

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).

Most read last week in this forum

A local Navarra website has reported the death of a 61 year old German peregrina this morning in Zuriain. The cause appears to have been cardiac arrest. The third death of a pilgrim in Navarra in...
A few km before Portomaran, a huge swarm of wasps swooped down on a pilgrim. Thankfully, he wasn’t stung. He said it looked like a flock of sparrows that swooped down and he thought they were...
Here is a pic from 2016, I love the simplicity of the sketch map and directions "1 km climb up, 5km flat, 5km down". I wonder how the prices are now?
For my fellow Jewish Pilgrims do try to remember that this coming Tuesday evening is our Shavuot holiday, not one but two days. Shavuot is one of the required Jewish pilgrimages, totally...
In 2018, I completed my first Camino de Santiago. Those 34 days were magical, filled with stunning landscapes and connections with fellow pilgrims from around the world. What was meant to be a...
Reposted from Wise Pilgrim comments, was hiking with this pilgrim. Don’t follow app,go just a bit further past to well marked turn, not the one with spray painted arrow on stop sign:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back