• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Forum Meetup in Santiago de Compostela

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
After @peregrina2000 kick-started this idea a while back, let's try to organize a place and time for forum members that have arrived in Santiago and are looking to meet up with other forum members.

When?
7pm (19.00) every afternoon.

Where?
Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 13.43.03.png

IMG_1324.JPG

This is located about 300 meters from the Cathedral on the way out to Finisterre (down the street that starts just outside the Parador door).

This cafe is run by John Henry, a great guy that speak perfect English.

IMG_1322.JPG
I left a small table-stand with a forum badge on it that the first person that arrives can take from the counter and put it on his/her table. This way we an recognize "who is from the forum". I also left a small notebook with a forum badge as well. I wrote a small welcome message on the first page, please feel free to write something yourselves. :)

Thank you John Henry for cooperating with us on this project! I am sure that he will take good care of us!
IMG_1321.JPG

A selection of Camino Jewellery
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I will be in Santiago on April the 13th and 14th. I will stop by this place, but I can't guarantee that I will be there at 7:00 PM due to being with a group.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Such a great idea!

What a wonderful idea! It will be so nice to meet everyone and hear about their experiences.

What a brilliant idea! That's also the closest bar to my house, maybe I'll join one day :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I visited this place back in June. There was no sign of the table stand and badge, and the guy behind the bar knew nothing of the meeting arrangements. I sat for half an hour and no-one else turned up.

I visited this place back in June. There was no sign of the table stand and badge, and the guy behind the bar knew nothing of the meeting arrangements. I sat for half an hour and no-one else turned up.

Well, I guess we've tried to make a go of this for a season and it just hasn't taken off. :( Not sure whether we should just let it die its natural death or try again next season. I'm sure that if we ask John Henry, he'll make sure that all employees have the right information about the book, etc., but that won't change the lack of forum interest. If someone has a better idea, let's hear it! I for one would have loved to meet other forum members after arriving in Santiago from the Invierno, where I met one other pilgrim! I'm sure there were lots of you there, I just didn't know how to find you. Interested in hearing your ideas, buen camino, Laurie

Well, I guess we've tried to make a go of this for a season and it just hasn't taken off. :( Not sure whether we should just let it die its natural death or try again next season. I'm sure that if we ask John Henry, he'll make sure that all employees have the right information about the book, etc., but that won't change the lack of forum interest. If someone has a better idea, let's hear it! I for one would have loved to meet other forum members after arriving in Santiago from the Invierno, where I met one other pilgrim! I'm sure there were lots of you there, I just didn't know how to find you. Interested in hearing your ideas, buen camino, Laurie
I vote for neither let it die or try next year, just let it live although with some short breathing. There are many posts about being there and nobody else showed up, but on the other hand many people/forum members also came along at different times of day. If the owner is OK with that I will at least give it a try for one more year/season.
Also the Pilgrims Office is moving closer to Tertulia, Albergue Roots & Boots is just around the corner and Tertulia is also on the Camino to Fisterra/Muxia. At least three points in favour to keep this place/idea alive.

Ultreia!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was lucky to be able to visit Cafe Tertulia three times this year. I didn't meet any other pilgrims, but I enjoyed reading all the messages in the book. It's a really nice place - I think it would be a shame to lose the idea of a meeting place, even if the actual 'meetings' are few and far between.

Laurie - is it a big deal for the owner to keep it going? I imagine that a little book on his counter shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience. Plus, we've all been enthusiastically promoting his fine G&Ts, proper teas, coffees, croissants. cakes etc.........!

Last edited:
I'll drop in sometime later this month. Would be lovely to meet other pilgrims. Buen Camino !! :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I wish I could drop by every year. At least one time per year ;)

After @peregrina2000 kick-started this idea a while back, let's try to organize a place and time for forum members that have arrived in Santiago and are looking to meet up with other forum members.

When?
7pm (19.00) every afternoon.

Where?
View attachment 17231

View attachment 17233

This is located about 300 meters from the Cathedral on the way out to Finisterre (down the street that starts just outside the Parador door).

This cafe is run by John Henry, a great guy that speak perfect English.

View attachment 17232
I left a small table-stand with a forum badge on it that the first person that arrives can take from the counter and put it on his/her table. This way we an recognize "who is from the forum". I also left a small notebook with a forum badge as well. I wrote a small welcome message on the first page, please feel free to write something yourselves. :)

Thank you John Henry for cooperating with us on this project! I am sure that he will take good care of us!
View attachment 17234
How cool!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Since we're currently discussing changes to this get together, I am going to lock this thread and "unstick" it. Once new details are firmed up, there will be a new sticky post with a place for forum members to announce their "intentions" to go to Tertulia and thus hopefully encourage others who are reading from Santiago to make their way down there! Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. you can follow the current discussion here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...rum-input-on-daily-meet-up-in-santiago.38880/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.