• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Future Pilgrim from the Philippines

amado

Hola, I am Amado, a 55 year old Filipino based in Davao City, Philippines. I have been in the ministry for 28 years, and for the last 15 years I have been teaching theology at the Redemptorist theological and mission institute as well as being involved in peace advocacy and Christian-Muslim dialogue. I am also a marathon runner, an ultra-long distance cyclist (I biked for peace around the Philippines covering 5,000 km in 56 days) and a mountaineer. Recently, I have become interested in ultra-marathon running.

I will be doing my sabbatical from May-October 2010. I plan to spend time as a hermit and a pilgrim during my sabbatical. I will be spending time in a hermitage on top of a mountain in Cebu. I am also thinking of making a pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela following the Camino Frances. It will be a combination of meditative walking and gentle running which I plan to do in 21-23 days from the last week of June to the middle of July 2010. I know that this is unusual as most pilgrims walk the Camino in 30-35 days. But being an ultra-marathoner, I enjoy slow running (mixed with walking) which puts me in a state of flow. Running for me is not just a physical activity but a contemplative act. I have started serious training and I now run-walk for 6-8 hours once a week carrying my 13-lb backpack. The other days, I do a lot of walking, instead of using the car. This March, I will be run-walking for 8 days across Mindanao covering 390 km.

I hope to meet other pilgrims during my long walking breaks and also in the Refugios. But I won't be sleeping every night in the Refugios. Some nights, I would like to sleep under the stars, other nights on the porch or doorways of the church (this is what I did when I walked from Rome to Assisi in 1994).

After doing the Camino I will go back to Rome for a week, and then fly back to the Philippines where I will spend some time as a hermit. Then I have to be back in Davao in November 2010 to continue teaching theology to those preparing for the priestly ministry.

I am glad to be part of this forum, and I hope to learn from those who have made the pilgrimage. I hope to meet some of you, on the Camino.

for more information, visit my blogsite: http://www.amadopicardal.blogspot.com

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Welcome Amado - well, what a plan for a pilgrimage during the Holy Year! All the very best wishes for your preparations. Everyone in the forum will try to answer any questions you may have but I suspect few of us have gone at the rate you plan! Although I have met power walkers and runners on the camino routes before now.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Amado - I felt exhausted just reading your post!!
Have you been in touch with any of the other 'Filipinas' who have walked the camino? I met a fellow in June this year who thought that he might be the first Philippino to walk the camino. When I got back home I looked at past stats and found that although not many have walked it, there have been a few over the years. 2006 - 24: 2007 - 16: 2008 - 22
A small percentage of people who walk the camino Frances do so in under 25 days. In 2002 I walked (no running) it in 27 days and although at the time I felt happy with the daily mileage, I realised afterwards how much I had missed. (Most pilgrims who go back take more time the second time around.)
The long hours of daylight days make it possible to walk/jog longer distances and you shouldn't have any problems covering 35 - 40kms per day.
To give you a rough idea on the distances, you can plan your daily stages here: http://www.godesalco.com/plan
Try staying in the smaller places, in between those given in most guide-books.
Enjoy your planning!

Simply amazing that you have trained your body so well! May our Father in Heaven continue to bless you so that all your goals for next year are successful both spiritually and physically.

His peace be upon you,

Joh, Michael and Hedwig, thanks for the warm welcome.

Sil, I'm still trying to find out the names and email addresses of Filipinos who have done the Camino so that I can get in touch with them and learn from them. I have already gone to the godesalco website and have drawn up several itineraries (plan a, plan b, plan c) depending on how things go. My target is 21 days (give and take 4 days), my plan is not written in stone - I will open myself to what the Camino has in store for me.

Here is plan a (which I find reasonable):

I plan to start in St. Jean Pied de Port but Godelsaco starts in Roncesvalles. So day 1 is actually St. Jean to Roncesvalles (27 km) on June 27, 2010

1) Mo, 28-Jun-2010 Roncesvalles - Arre 37.9
2) Tu, 29-Jun-2010 Arre - Cirauqui 36.3
3) We, 30-Jun-2010 Cirauqui - Los Arcos 34.8
4) Th, 1-Jul-2010 Los Arcos - Navarrete 40.2
5) Fr, 2-Jul-2010 Navarrete - Grañón 44.8
6) Sa, 3-Jul-2010 Grañón - San Juan de Ortega 39.4
7) Su, 4-Jul-2010 San Juan de Ortega - Tardajos 35.9
8) Mo, 5-Jul-2010 Tardajos - Ermita de San Nicolás 39
9) Tu, 6-Jul-2010 Ermita de San Nicolás - Carrión de los Condes 34.4
10) We, 7-Jul-2010 Carrión de los Condes - Sahagún 38.9
11) Th, 8-Jul-2010 Sahagún - Mansilla de las Mulas 36.7
12) Fr, 9-Jul-2010 Mansilla de las Mulas - Villadangos del Páramo 38.3
13) Sa, 10-Jul-2010 Villadangos del Páramo - El Ganso 41.5
14) Su, 11-Jul-2010 El Ganso - Ponferrada 39.6
15) Mo, 12-Jul-2010 Ponferrada - Vega de Valcarce 39.1
16) Tu, 13-Jul-2010 Vega de Valcarce - Samos 42.5
17) We, 14-Jul-2010 Samos - Portomarín 37.1
18) Th, 15-Jul-2010 Portomarín - Leboreiro 34
19) Fr, 16-Jul-2010 Leboreiro - Santa Irene 36.1
20) Sa, 17-Jul-2010 Santa Irene - Santiago de Compostela 22.1

The other day, I went for a 40 km run/walk (but mostly walking) which I covered in 6 hrs 50 minutes. I figured that even with walking 5 km per hour, I can cover 40 km in 8-9 hrs.

Tomorrow, after my 4:30 morning mass, I am going for a 2-days back-to-back walk/run in Samal Island - carrying a 13 lb pack (including a tent and sleeping-bag). I plan to do wild-camping by the beach and come back the following day.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well - we have to stand in awe of this pilgrim! This priest is very well known here in London. He has previously completed a 5000 kms bike ride in 56 days for peace. He's for real!

Amado we will all be supporting you with avid interest as your plans develop. Just don't ask us to run beside you! :)

Best wishes

John

Your plan looks good Amado.
Some of the long distances in the mountains look challenging but I'm sure you have planned them as such!
To enrich the religious experience of your pilgrimage, I would like to recommend you try to include the following:
* a short detour (about 3km) to the church of Santa Maria de Eunate between Muruzábal and Obanos.
* stay over at Tosantos with the Franciscan Jose Luiz. (Communal dinner and a wonderful blessing in the attic chapel).
* stay over at Hospital San Nicolas/Itero del Castillo where the monks wash the pilgrims' feet as part of their blessing. (No electricity - communal dinner by lamplight)
* stay at Rabanal del Camino and attend the blessings and Gregorian chants.
* have a sort break at Manjarin and attend Tomas' Templarios ceremony at 11am (when it is mid-day in Jerusalem)

(I'm thinking of you as a priest first and a runner second!)

You have a short last day. Have you planned it to arrive in time for the mid-day mass?
If not, you could lengthen your last day (most people feel an almost irresitable urge to push themselves on the last day!) This means that when you attend the pilgrims' mass the next day, you will hear the priest call out the names of the countries the previous day's pilgrims represented - and there might be more tan one Filipino!
Abrazo,
Sil

Sil,

Thanks for the suggestions. Will take these into consideration as I refine my "itineraries." Most of what I have done is still guess-work, since I really am not familiar with the terrain. I will consult the elevation and topography and will shorten the stages where there will be lots of climbing.
I don't have any guide-book, except the one that I down-loaded from the internet (http://www.caminoguide.net). I've also read the various blogs of those who have made the pilgrimage (including yours and johnny walker) and the youtube postings. I am a very methodical person, I want everything planned to the last detail, but when I do the Camino I want to be more flexible - I will allow myself to be led by the Spirit and by "synchronistic" events and encounters. I might start doing a lot of running, but who knows -- the magnificent scenery, or some fateful encounter or conversation with some pilgrims along the way will make me slow down. If I can run for 2-3 hrs and walk 4-5 hrs, that would be fine. I am not prepared to give up my "runners' high" (the joy and ecstasy of running) but the long walking breaks are necessary.

I don't want to emphasize or cling to my clerical status during pilgrimage, although I know that I won't be able to totally hide it. I just want to journey as one of the pilgrims.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked the camino in 2007 with my Protestant friend Marion and a German-born, Dominican nun. Before we left we agreed that we would not tell anyone that she was a nun. I think it was quite an eye-opener for her but a wonderful 'human' experience.
Marion and I agreed to protect her by always sleeping next to her when bunks were pushed together. We couldn't do much about who slept on the top or bottom bunk and on our first night in Roncesvalles she remarked, wryly "Its the first time I have to sleep under a man!"
On her second night she said, "Its the first time I have to sleep on top of a Frenchman!"
It was there too, in Larrasoana, that she had to confront a naked man in the makeshift, unisex, mobile shower and toilet camper.
Then there were the many jokes - some inevitably about the Priest and the Rabbi - and the religious discussions around the dinner tables, which she really enjoyed! Because nobody knew that she was a nun, they didn't treat her any differently to the other peregrinas.
My husband (grand-son of a Lutheran missionary) joined us in Sarria and they got on really well - she became his beer drinking partner. In Melide, a good looking Spaniard waited until lights out before tip-toeing to her double bunk where he climbed up and joined the peregrina on top. I'll never forget the shocked look on Anneliese's face as she rolled her eyes and crossed herself!!
One day I am also going to write a book on the camino.
I'm going to call it "L.A.P.D. on el camino" ("A Lutheran, an Atheist, a Protestant and Dominican nun" on the Camino.

Amado, You might also find the altitude charts you can print off from the godesalco site useful. http://www.godesalco.com/plan You go to Camino de Santiago, put in your starting and finishing places, submit the form twice, and hey presto.
I think I have copies of the SJPP Pilgrim's Office altitude charts somewhere too- but I am about to go to sleep here so will look for them in the morning.
Margaret

I personally came across a Filipino at the Cruz de Ferro a few years back.

It was cold and snowing. Not familiar with this kind of weather, he was sitting by the little chapel, frozen stiff and loosing his wits, his country flag tied to the mast for a photo, unable to retrieve it.

Salvaged by two Canadians and a German!!!
My friend and I still talk about it...

Better luck and God speed Amado!

Jean-Marc

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Dear Amado,

best wishes for your pilgrimage. I'm an anglican priest and recently walked the Camino de Levante while on sabbatical (although at a much slower pace than you - you have my admiration. I really do not like walking more than 30km's).

You will find lots of help and support on this forum.

When I walked, I didn't really advertise my clerical status, although it did come out sometimes, for example if I was sharing deeply with someone I didn't want to feel I was hiding things from them. I don't think people treated me differently because I was a priest as opposed to a pilgrim.

with prayers,

Andy

Amado,
Grant Spangler has maps on his website that show altitude changes:
http://www.elcaminosantiago.com/Camino-Santiago-Map-Camino-Frances-33-Maps.htm

Also, attached are the altitude profiles given out by the pilgrim office at SJPP, from 'Les Amis du Chemin de Saint-Jacques des PyrénéesAtlantiques'. I downloaded these online, though can't quite find the link at present.
Margaret

I should probably add- the horozontal scale here is very small, and has the effect of making some of these ascents and descents look much steeper than they really are :shock:

Attachments

• etapes.pdf
    210.2 KB · Views: 5
Hola Fr Amado,

I walked the Camino Frances in April-May 2006. And yes, I'm Pinoy. And *could* be the fellow who had the Philippine flag being referred to by canuck(Jean-Marc) because there was sleet falling sideways when I was up there in Cruz de Ferro on 22May2006. I remember cursing in Tagalog under my breath because I had no gloves, my fingers were numb and red and I can't take photos properly.

If you want to meet up, I'm in Manila in case you find yourself here. We can go through your plan in detail. I have also met other Filipinos who have done the Camino in the same year; we had a 'comparing notes dinner' but we never met on the Road. Send me a private message so I can give you my contact details.

The people in this Forum will have all the information you will need, but don't plan too much. And if I were you, I'll walk reeaaal slow. I remember most of us who have walked the entire route from SJPP were almost trying to drag our feet in the last days just to 'extend' the experience.

Mabuhay!

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_9805 - Cruz de Ferro.jpg
    IMG_9805 - Cruz de Ferro.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 469
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello, Amado!
I did the Camino this year, in the summer, and my best friend during this pilgrimage was a priest from the Philippines, father Manuel, a wonderful cheerful guy. He told me that many people from the Philippines are like him and I have no doubt about it, so...
...I send you best wishes for your pilgrimage!
Greetings from Romania!

Marius!
How many pictures did you take on your camino...They are a never ending story and watching them brings me soooo many memories and I just have to return as soon as possilbe!
annie

anniethenurse said:
Marius!
How many pictures did you take on your camino...They are a never ending story and watching them brings me soooo many memories and I just have to return as soon as possilbe!
annie

Hi, Annie! Glad to "see" you...
Just 6,000, but next time (in 2011) I'll intend to do many more or - perhaps - I'll record on cam. Unfortunately, I did the Camino starting from Pamplona, but I'm looking forward and ready for Saint Jean until Finisterre... :wink:

P.S. Sorry, Amado, for this intermezzo... 8)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
marktqm said:
*could* be the fellow who had the Philippine flag being referred to by canuck(Jean-Marc)

Indeed you are. Nice to ''see'' and to hear from you on this forum. When are you going on the camino again?

marktqm said:
...if I were you, I'll walk reeaaal slow.

I couln't agree more. The camino is an experience and as such deserves to be done at a relaxed pace enjoying every physical and spiritual happening.

[/quote]

Cheers,
Jean-Marc

Hola Jean-Marc,

So our "paths" have crossed once more! I do not really intend to do the Camino again, as I do not want to contribute to the overcrowding. (Didn't we discuss this when we met? Weren't you a repeat pilgrim then? :wink: )

I heard a few months afterwards that the flag is gone. Someone probably cleans it up every year or so, otherwise it would look like a dumpsite by now. Next time, if there's a next time, I'll tack something on the mast, but I guess the graffiti on the chapel wall is still there.

But the Camino always beckons and who knows, I may find myself on the Road again one day. Not in 2010; too many walkers on a Holy Year. Would like to volunteer as an hospitalero though.

Mark

Mark,

marktqm said:
I do not want to contribute to the overcrowding. (Didn't we discuss this when we met? Weren't you a repeat pilgrim then? :wink: )
Mark

You have an excellent memory. We did discuss the overcrowding situation. In fact, you were a little cheesed off by the repeaters taking scarce places in the albergues.

I was a repeater and have been six times more since, but to my discharge, I don't go to albergues. 8)
That was also my excuse then when you proceeded to give me proper hell for being a repeater. :mrgreen:

Sorry for whoring the post for a couple of exchanges.

Ciao!
Jean-Marc

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On the contrary, Jean-Marc and Mark- I think the rest of us watching on have been greatly enjoying your reunion!!!
Margaret

Just saw the news about the volcano erupting - hope you are safe where you are Amado.

Mayon Volcano is far far away from where Fr Amado is (Davao), and from where I am (Manila).
Wish I was there though! It happens every 10 years or so. It is a beautiful volcano.

Sorry for the deviation from the topic. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello again,

I've been on a back-to-back runabout - run-walking for seven hours yesterday and five hours today. I carried a back-pack weighing 18 lbs - with water, clothes, sleeping bag, tent, some food. I used the Galloway method of interval running - run 3 min/walk 2 min interval. I actually enjoyed the running section than the walking. I still have to get used to long-distance walking. Last week, I walked for almost seven hours and I had blisters for the first time- I don't get blisters even if I run for 7-8 hours.

I think my body has gotten used to running. I don't get a "walker's high" only a "runner's high" (it is running that releases the endorphins into the bloodstream). What I enjoy most is running up and down the mountains. I forget about the time, I become one with nature, and I feel God's presence. There is no loneliness for the long-distance runner - just the joy and ecstasy. It is indeed addictive -- that's why I want to do it over and over again.

All I am saying is that each one will have to do the camino his/her way - depending on one's fitness, character, available time, etc. For some, it will be slow walking, for other it will be biking, for others horse-back riding and a few others, running. Riding a vehicle at 60-80 km per hour might not be the best way to do it.

Since I am a runner and a cyclist, I could either bike or run-walk the camino. I could bike it but then I will have to bring my bike and when I do I can easily cover 800 km in one week - that's too short. So the next best thing is to run-walk it. I am targeting 21 days, but I will give an allowance of 3 days, for any eventuality. It will be a slow-pace running. There will be some days where I will be doing more walking than running.

Last night, I camped on the beach. This is something that I love doing. I intend to do some wild-camping when I do the Camino. I still have to plan where (I'd be happy if I can do it in at least ten places). I would prefer to do it in Albergues that have some ground or backyard where I can pitch my tent or in nearby church grounds. I have read some of the discussion about this in this forum. If you know of any Refugios, Albergues or churches where it can be done please inform me (pls see the tentative itinerary I posted above).

Margaret, thanks for the altitude profile, this will be of help as I refine my itinerary. Mark, I hope I will be able to meet you when I am in Manila - when I apply for a visa at the Italian embassy sometime in February or March.

Hi, Fr Amado!

I did the Camino last year from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela from June 25-July 31, 2009 just after I finished my term as Parish Priest of St. John Bosco Parish, Makati City. I met Marius, who has posted a reply here and his wife, Eta. They became my best friends and I would even say, my family. My Mom died January of last year and I wanted to honor her memory by doing the Camino. At that time President Cory Aquino was also very sick, so I also offered it for her recovery. I arrived in Santiago de Compostela on the 31st of July and in the evening of that day, President Aquino's daughter, Ballsy Aquino Cruz texted me that her Mom has passed on to her well deserved rest and happiness. I left the following day to be able to be present for her wake and burial.

On July 24, 2010, the eve of the Feast of St. James, I will have a photo exhibit on the Camino in honor of my mother, Ma. Salome C. Domingo and Former President Cory Aquino. The exhibit will be in our school, Don Bosco Technical Institute, Chino Roces Avenue, Makati City. It will be open to the public. It ends on the August 1, 2010, the first death anniversary of Mrs. Aquino.

If you happen to be in Manila after your Camino, please drop by Don Bosco Makati and perhaps we can share our stories about the Camino.

Buen Camino,
Manny D.

Hi Manny D,

Thanks for the invitation to your Camino photo exhibit. I won't be able to see it. I just arrived in Rome today and will stay here until July 9. I will be doing the Camino from July 16-August 10.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Fr Manny,

I should visit your photo exhibit at Don Bosco. There are other Manila-based Pinoys in this forum, let's hope we can get them to visit too.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes, another reason to have the exhibit is to gather Filipinos who have done the Camino and share their experiences with others. Hopefully we can form a group to provide information to those who want to know more about the Camino and tips to those who are planning to do it. I hope to see you during the exhibit.

Peace,
Manny D.

Hi Fr. Amado,

God bless you and your Camino! You are welcome to drop by Don Bosco Makati anytime you come back after your Camino.

Peace,
Manny D.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Manny, hope to meet you sometime in the future and the others also. Your idea is worth considering - your exhibit can be an opportunity to gather the Camino graduates and you can someday form the Philippine Association or Society of St.James. You might even come up with a publication or website that can put together the writings/reflections/photos of those who have done the Camino.

Amado/Picx

Hi Mark,

I hope you'll be able to come for the Photo Exhibit on July 24, the Eve of the Feast of St. James. Ballsy Aquino Cruz and the Spanish Ambassador, Señor Luis Arias-Romero are the Guests of Honor and have confirmed their attendance. Holy Mass is at 5 p.m. Opening of Photo Exhibit is at 6 p.m. at Don Bosco Technical Institute, Chino Roces Avenue, Makati City. See you!

Blessings,
Manny D.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back