• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gaiters or waterproof socks

John Gilliland

The Pilgrim Continues
Time of past OR future Camino
My wife and I are walking part of the Via Francesco next April and I'm wondering which is better for snow: gaiters or waterproof socks?

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My wife and I are walking part of the Via Francesco next April and I'm wondering which is part for snow: gaiters or waterproof socks?
Forget waterproof socks. All you need is waterproof boots and gaiters. If you want shoes instead then still get gaiters. I don’t know how much snow you’ll have but gaiters are great for rain and stepping in mud. But my feet only stay dry because I use waterproof boots. Others will tell you not to wear boots or not to wear waterproof footwear. It’s up to you.
I always hike in waterproof boots and never had blisters or wet feet. You’ll have to figure it out for yourself.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
My wife and I are walking part of the Via Francesco next April and I'm wondering which is better for snow: gaiters or waterproof socks?
Gaiters keep mud and slush out of footwear and reduce the mud build up on the leggings.
Need good quality that stay up. I like the Rab ones

I walked in the snow on the CF in 2018. I wore non waterproof trail running shoes and Dexshell waterproof socks. The entire Camino was wet/rainy/snowy/cold in the mornings. My feet were comfortable 100% of the time. When it warned up during the day, I stopped and switched to regular socks. Highly recommend Dexshell.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Forget waterproof socks. All you need is waterproof boots and gaiters. If you want shoes instead then still get gaiters. I don’t know how much snow you’ll have but gaiters are great for rain and stepping in mud. But my feet only stay dry because I use waterproof boots. Others will tell you not to wear boots or not to wear waterproof footwear. It’s up to you.
I always hike in waterproof boots and never had blisters or wet feet. You’ll have to figure it out for yourself.
I love my Merrell Siren waterproof shoes and I believe that they have a boot also. I can hike in any weather and my feet stay warm and dry (I wear Darn Good merino wool socks). The shoes are really light weight but very supportive. Some people don’t like them because they look “plastic” but so what if they work....it’s not a fashion show out there!

Gaiters keep things out of the shoes but are not waterproof, waterproof socks keep water away from your skin, but! that said waterproof socks will make your feet sweat. In my recent camino del Norte I had days and days of rain, wet trails, hail like cold hell and my shoes looked like sponges when you would press on them. No gaiter was going to help there.

So , my recommendation is :==> real hiking shoes, gaiter and light waterproof socks if you want the best comfort and are hiking in the Nov-Mar time frame. Don't worry about shoe weight , rain is normal in North Spain during that time frame, don't hope for no rain, be realistic...

==> trail shoes, dirty girl gaiters , thin merino socks, darn tough socks for the other months, this is the no blister recipe

If you do otherwise, well like the rest of us, Live and learn and enjoy the camino, it is after all a learning experience.

In cold, snowy conditions I'd go for proper hiking shoes rather than my usual trail runners, and light elastic gaiters like the Dirty Girl ones to stop the snow from wetting the top of my socks. I'm not keen on waterproof socks because they can make your feet sweaty. If you expect deep snow then high cut lightweight boots, the low cut ones that only just come up to your ankle don't give any support and don't keep the snow out any better than a shoe and elastic gaiter.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I do not think you will hit any appreciable snow - will always be above freezing in the morning and getting up to 50 by noon. I walked in Columbia water-proof sneakers at $130 a pair.

A trick I have used in colder weather when mountaineering and during winter time backpacking, is the use of a vapor barrier. It means a bit more work with my feet at long break times, like for lunch time.

A vapor barrier is a mostly, {but not necessarily absolute), waterproof membrane. The beauty of it is that you can treat it like a clothing layer, adding it or subtracting it as your feet respond to temperature. The vapor barrier can be as simple as a bread bag or a baggy. . . or as elegant as a manufactured product, like Armaskin socks. I prefer simpler and less expensive and expendable :)

First: Thoroughly apply a good coat of goop to your feet. . tops, bottoms, and between toes.
  1. Slip on a moisture wicking/absorbing thin sock. A thin merino wool sock or synthetic is fine.
  2. Put on the vapor barrier.
  3. Put on the regular outer sock.
  4. Put on shoe.
The barrier will create perspiration, which the inner sock will somewhat absorb. That sock will eventually become wet against the skin, which is OK. The barrier will keep the skin warm, even though the inner sock is damp. The outer sock will be wet from the rain, but the barrier will provide a good level of protection against conductive heat loss, thus keeping feet warmer.

The hassle comes from having to remove shoes during longer breaks so that you can quickly mop the skin and wring out the inner sock. Where the same problem is lessened when no vapor barrier is used, the body heat and wet can create bacterial growth on the skin. So, when stopping for a longer break time, removing foot wear and wiping off feet, reapply the balm, and you are good to go.

Even though there is more moisture than usual against the feet, the risk for blistering does not necessarily increase IF you are controlling the primary cause for blistering already. . sheer force friction.

If I can be of further help, feel free to send my a private message.

Lightweight waterproof boots with gaiters. If it's raining remember not to tuck your waterproof overtrousers into your gaiters.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I didn't walk during times of snow, but I wore waterproof boots and gaters for the rain. However, this September when I return, I'll bring a pair of waterproof socks to wear with my sandals in the evenings. I wear Ecco sandals at the end of the day, and during rainy days, my feet were always wet. I just didn't want to wear my boots after walking all day.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I live in Minnesota and like snowshoeing and hiking during winter. I wear a pair of Marmot rain pants and pull them down over my boots. They function like gaiters. For socks, I wear a liner pair of SmartWool socks and then a regular pair of SmartWool socks. I wear water resistant Keen Targhee III mid-height boots. I would not wear waterproof socks. I’d rather stop the snow from getting to my socks. If my socks get soaked it’s game over.

Gaiters 100%. They keep your pants clean and dry. Boot laces are covered which helps keep your boots dry inside. I have chosen these over waterproof pants on many a Camino.
Buen Camino

Gaiters keep things out of the shoes but are not waterproof, waterproof socks keep water away from your skin, but! that said waterproof socks will make your feet sweat. In my recent camino del Norte I had days and days of rain, wet trails, hail like cold hell and my shoes looked like sponges when you would press on them. No gaiter was going to help there.

So , my recommendation is :==> real hiking shoes, gaiter and light waterproof socks if you want the best comfort and are hiking in the Nov-Mar time frame. Don't worry about shoe weight , rain is normal in North Spain during that time frame, don't hope for no rain, be realistic...

==> trail shoes, dirty girl gaiters , thin merino socks, darn tough socks for the other months, this is the no blister recipe

If you do otherwise, well like the rest of us, Live and learn and enjoy the camino, it is after all a learning experience.
There are many brands of waterproof gaiters and they work extremely well in keeping debris out of your shoes or boots and in keeping your feet, pants, and socks dry.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There are many brands of waterproof gaiters and they work extremely well in keeping debris out of your shoes or boots and in keeping your feet, pants, and socks dry.

I am so happy for that reply as I have been searching for just that. Can you enlighten me as of brand and or website so that I and others can look at them? Do you mean 5 kilo gaiters, military grade?

I am so happy for that reply as I have been searching for just that. Can you enlighten me as of brand and or website so that I and others can look at them? Do you mean 5 kilo gaiters, military grade?

I have used Outdoor Research Rocky Mountain Low gaiters. Got mine thru REI. They keep out debris well. I have only had light rain while wearing them on hikes at home but they did the trick. It had been raining buckets though. If you happen to step into puddles, they help keep mud and water out of the laces and off your pant legs. My version is labeled water resistant, not waterproof. OR makes several other versions of gaiter including taller ones and waterproof.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.