• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting out of Padron and the crazy final 6km into SdC

CykaUJ

Kenyan Heart, Russian Soul, Global Citizen
Time of past OR future Camino
Porto to Santiago to Muxia Feb 2016
This is a special kind of insanity on the home stretch for Camino Portugues pilgrims!
Leaving Padron, there's a temporary diversion about 2,5km out of Padron that takes you up through some narrow residential streets. Then you find yourself at a roundabout with no waymarks (I was finding in a lot of places it was easier to look for the blue arrows to Fatima!), cross over it in the direction of the restaurant O Pazo.
IMG_7877.jpg
IMG_7878.jpg

Then was the really crazy final stretch, if someone else has posted about this, I apologise, but I didn't see any other threads and Brierley's doesn't explain it very well.
After the marker where it says 6.028 (or something like that), there are no more mileage plates on the fairly new looking marker stones, and they take you through winding neighbourhoods up and down several steep hills, both in forested areas and asphalted. There is something mentioned in the book about a new option to go through A Choupana, but with the other winding hills, it's much more than the .7 that the book says. In fact, from that 6km mark, my runkeeper app came up with 7,9km from where the last marker with plate was that said 6. This A Choupana route is marked with this...
IMG_7912.jpg
I was really tired by then, pulled out the camino map app I have and it indicated that the actual camino was the left route. It was entirely uphill and went through a housing block. There were very few way marks or arrows painted and I found the whole thing really confusing, so just followed signposts for the Cathedral.
I hope they'll put the mileage plates on soon!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We lost the arrows on the way in to Santiago, but instinct took us to the cathedral! I don't remember seeing your last picture (just as well!!)

This is a special kind of insanity on the home stretch for Camino Portugues pilgrims!
Leaving Padron, there's a temporary diversion about 2,5km out of Padron that takes you up through some narrow residential streets. Then you find yourself at a roundabout with no waymarks (I was finding in a lot of places it was easier to look for the blue arrows to Fatima!), cross over it in the direction of the restaurant O Pazo.
View attachment 24020
View attachment 24021

Then was the really crazy final stretch, if someone else has posted about this, I apologise, but I didn't see any other threads and Brierley's doesn't explain it very well.
After the marker where it says 6.028 (or something like that), there are no more mileage plates on the fairly new looking marker stones, and they take you through winding neighbourhoods up and down several steep hills, both in forested areas and asphalted. There is something mentioned in the book about a new option to go through A Choupana, but with the other winding hills, it's much more than the .7 that the book says. In fact, from that 6km mark, my runkeeper app came up with 7,9km from where the last marker with plate was that said 6. This A Choupana route is marked with this...
View attachment 24022
I was really tired by then, pulled out the camino map app I have and it indicated that the actual camino was the left route. It was entirely uphill and went through a housing block. There were very few way marks or arrows painted and I found the whole thing really confusing, so just followed signposts for the Cathedral.
I hope they'll put the mileage plates on soon!
Good to know as I plan to do this route in May.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
According to the guy in the Pilgrim's office (btw @peregrina2000 they were all too happy to give me my compostella. I got teary when he said congratulations. he came round the desk and gave me a big hug and said I am a very brave girl to have done this on my own through all that rain), the government has decided that they should try and preserve the original route, but also give an alternative for those coming from Portugal because the renovation has meant that the office and other facilities have changed and they need to be able for pilgrims to have a direct route into the cathedral. So, that means that both of those markers are staying, and they hope to have the mileage plates on them by summer. For info, I chose the correct route, which is the one to the left. The other route, I was informed, goes down a hill and winds around before going up again.

I have followed your journey with interest and amazement at your enduring courage. Congratulations on reaching SdC despite the hazards created by flood and tempest. You have earned every bit of your Compostela and a place in the hearts of every one of us who have been reading your posts and Blog. Ultreia!

I have followed your journey with interest and amazement at your enduring courage. Congratulations on reaching SdC despite the hazards created by flood and tempest. You have earned every bit of your Compostela and a place in the hearts of every one of us who have been reading your posts and Blog. Ultreia!
Ohhhh that's so kind of you to say, thank you :) I wish I had the time to walk the camino to Finisterre and Muxia, but I have to settle for driving there. Hopefully I'll have sun for that to see the sunset when I throw the seashells I'm carrying into the sea.

I wish you much happiness on your journey from Porto in April! When it's not chucking it down, it's a very peaceful and scenic walk (just ignore the rubbish!). I look forward to hearing how it goes for you! Bom Caminho!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
According to the guy in the Pilgrim's office (btw @peregrina2000 they were all too happy to give me my compostella. I got teary when he said congratulations. he came round the desk and gave me a big hug and said I am a very brave girl to have done this on my own through all that rain), the government has decided that they should try and preserve the original route, but also give an alternative for those coming from Portugal because the renovation has meant that the office and other facilities have changed and they need to be able for pilgrims to have a direct route into the cathedral. So, that means that both of those markers are staying, and they hope to have the mileage plates on them by summer. For info, I chose the correct route, which is the one to the left. The other route, I was informed, goes down a hill and winds around before going up again.
Congratulations !

Thanks so much for updating us on the way. I love reading ongoing accounts of people's caminos, until I get to do my own. You have definitely deserved both your compostella and our admiration. Congratulations!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Just adding my congratulations! Amazing, @CykaUJ - I was getting worried about you when the flooding seemed to be getting worse and worse, and then you posted that great photo of your shadow when the sky cleared! Glad you found your way through the confusing signage, and what a lovely welcome at the Pilgrims Office - you definitely deserve a hug for making it all the way! Have a wonderful visit to Finisterre and Muxia, it will be a moving moment to stand there with your shells, I am sure.

We're planning on biking the Portugues route in June. Does anyone have a GPS location of the detour?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, I am trying to confirm that starting my walk from O Porriño qualifies for the last 100 km, and qualifies for a Compostela. I am finding conflicting information in different places. Camino...
One day there was this inner knowledge. After the camino just popped up a couple of times in my universe, I knew: I need to go. Tingling in the spine, a slight nervousness. That usually shows me I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back