• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to Auberge Borda from Valcarlos

Coloradowalker

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2022
I’ve got reservations at Auberge Borda on 4/3 but it looks like weather may require walking the Valcarlos rather than Napoleon route. I expect I can take a taxi from Valcarlos to Borda and wondered if anyone else has reservations in Borda on 4/3 so we might share a ride. Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I’ve got reservations at Auberge Borda on 4/3 but it looks like weather may require walking the Valcarlos rather than Napoleon route. I expect I can take a taxi from Valcarlos to Borda and wondered if anyone else has reservations in Borda on 4/3 so we might share a ride. Thanks!
If the Napoleon is closed due to weather does the auberge still expect pilgrims to go there?

Hang on a sec............

I don't know what Borda's policy is, but down the road at Orison, they have been dealing with this for a long time, and I have done it both ways. You can always walk to Orisson or Borda, these are only half way up the hill, and well below the snow line. Its the part after the alrbergues that gets dicey in bad weather. If conditions on the Napolean are bad, they arrange a mini bus, and drive you to Valcarlos in the morning. Orisson makes the call day by day. One year, we walked over the Napolean, but the people a day behind us were bussed. Two years later, we were bussed, but the people the day behind us walked over the top. Check with Borda, my guess would be they do the same thing: If Orisson give you a reservation, you can stay there, regardless of the weather.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If Napoleon Route is closed - then Borda and Orisson will both be closed. You will need to stay somewhere on the Valcarlos Route if that is the case. Or at least - that is what I thought I saw from both. Double check with Borda directly.

If Napoleon Route is closed - then Borda and Orisson will both be closed. You will need to stay somewhere on the Valcarlos Route if that is the case. Or at least - that is what I thought I saw from both. Double check with Borda directly.
This was not true last time I passed through Orisson. Both albergues are indeed closed until at least April 1. But in the month of April, they open. The weather may, or may not cooperate, but I have a reservation on April 12th, and I expect them to accommodate me regardless of the state of the pass. Weather (pun intended) or not I have to bus to Valcarlos on the morning of the 13th will not be known until then.

This was not true last time I passed through Orisson. Both albergues are indeed closed until at least April 1. But in the month of April, they open. The weather may, or may not cooperate, but I have a reservation on April 12th, and I expect them to accommodate me regardless of the state of the pass. Weather (pun intended) or not I have to bus to Valcarlos on the morning of the 13th will not be known until then.
Aburge Borda indicated that even if the pass is closed, I should be able to get by taxi which is why I asked the question.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If the Napoleon is closed due to weather does the auberge still expect pilgrims to go there?
I do not know what their expectation is, only that they told me I could get there via taxi if the trail is closed. I’m from Colorado, trails in the mountains may be closed or in advisable but there is usually still access to mountain towns. I don’t know if it is the same but I appreciate that open trails and access to towns may be different which is why I asked.

I do not know what their expectation is, only that they told me I could get there via taxi if the trail is closed. I’m from Colorado, trails in the mountains may be closed or in advisable but there is usually still access to mountain towns. I don’t know if it is the same but I appreciate that open trails and access to towns may be different which is why I asked.
The local government there in Saint Jean actually closes the Napoleon route in dangerous, inclement weather. It gets closed for all pilgrims. No exceptions.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The local government there in Saint Jean actually closes the Napoleon route in dangerous, inclement weather. It gets closed for all pilgrims. No exceptions.
Thank you. I am aware of the weather concerns. My question relates to getting to Auberge Borda which is, according to the Auberge, accessible by taxi even when the route is closed. I am specifically asking if anyone else on this forum has a reservation for 4/3.

I've just posed the question "What is the policy for pilgrims who have reservations when the Napoleon Route is closed because of weather?" on their Facebook page.

I´ll report back if I get an answer.
Thanks. I also asked the aburge directly and the response was that taxis are available to transport. If you get a different answer, let me know,

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
While this is frequently claimed on the forum, I have not found this to be the case. I mention this because it may give a wrong sense of security to pilgrims from far away who may rely on official closures that will never come despite dangerous conditions for them. A small section of the trail that is not accessible for cars and that is on Spanish soil is closed by law from November until 1 April every year since about 2016. From April to October there are no official closures, neither by French nor Spanish authorities. Pilgrims must inform themselves about dangerous weather and whether the trail has already become passable after the winter season.

I don’t quite understand the OP’s plan. She has a booking at Borda. Walk to Valcarlos, get taxi to Borda, spend the night, get taxi back to Valcarlos and walk to Roncesvalles???

Last edited:
While this is frequently claimed on the forum, I have not found this to be the case. I mention this only because it may give a wrong sense of security to pilgrims from far away who may rely on official closures that will never come despite dangerous conditions for them. A small section of the trail that is not accessible for cars and that is on Spanish soil is closed by law from November until 1 April every year since about 2016. From April to October there are no official closures, neither by French nor Spanish authorities. Pilgrims must inform themselves about dangerous weather and whether the trail has already become passable after the winter season.

I don’t quite understand the OP’s plan. She has a booking at Borda. Walk to Valcarlos, get taxi to Borda, spend the night, get taxi back to Valcarlos and walk to Roncesvalles???
Hi there, my question is simply whether anyone else on the forum is booked in Borda on April 3 and might want to share a taxi. I’m not sure the rest of my plan matters. I appreciate that everyone wants to answer about the status of the route, which is not my question and has been well explored.

I’m not sure the rest of my plan matters.
You have a booking that you want to use. If, after your stay there, you want to continue from Borda on the Route Napoleon, why would you walk to Valcarlos on the day you need to spend the night at Borda. Why don’t you walk to Borda from SJPP? You can walk to Borda or drive to Borda at any time. The road is not closed. I am merely wondering to what extent you have familiarised yourself with the geography.

PS: Borda and Orisson are close together. Altitdue is only 800 m or so. You walk on tarmac. It is a mere 3 hour walk from SJPP. No danger, other than having to pay attention to the taxis that transport luggage and pilgrims up and down. Or the occasional local in their car on the way to their livestock.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You have a booking that you want to use. If, after your stay there, you want to continue from Borda on the Route Napoleon, why would you walk to Valcarlos on the day you need to spend the night at Borda. Why don’t you walk to Borda from SJPP? You can walk to Borda or drive to Borda at any time. The road is not closed. I am merely wondering to what extent you have familiarised yourself with the geography.
Now, that’s helpful. When I asked Auburge Borda, he suggested that if the route is closed, I take a taxi from Valcarlos to Borda. That’s why I was asking about a ride share. What you seem to be saying is getting to Borda is not the part of the Napoleon route that gets closed or is inadvisable due to weather, but rather the treacherous part is between Borda and Roncevellas. If I understand that correctly, I can walk to Borda, stay there and then taxi to the Roncevellas or Valcarlos the next day to continue my Camino. Is that correct?

getting to Borda is not the part of the Napoleon route that gets closed or is inadvisable due to weather, but rather the treacherous part is between Borda and Roncevellas. If I understand that correctly, I can walk to Borda, stay there and then taxi to the Roncevellas or Valcarlos the next day to continue my Camino. Is that correct?
Yes, correct. The treacherous part - the part that is closed by law in the winter months, where pilgrims have been getting into trouble, are becoming tired, are not equipped for wintery conditions, where there is still old snow or even some new snow on the ground, where some pilgrims needed rescue, and where there have been fatal accidents in the past - starts much further up where the Route Napoleon trail leaves the tarmac road and where you are already close to the Spanish border. It's about 8 km after Borda/Orisson and about 400-500 m higher.

Last edited:
Hi- My friend and I find ourselves in exactly the same situation one day earlier with reservations at Borda. We will likely walk to Borda then taxi the following day to Valcarlos and walk from there to Roncevalles. Having walked the Napoleon route twice I do know that I would not attempt it (past Borda after it exits the road) in questionable weather. The Pyrenees are unforgiving but stunningly beautiful. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks. I’m really more interested in knowing if any others here have reservations in Borda on 4/3.
I do have a reservation on April 9th and expect to go there, except if I'm not told not to.

Now, that’s helpful. When I asked Auburge Borda, he suggested that if the route is closed, I take a taxi from Valcarlos to Borda. That’s why I was asking about a ride share. What you seem to be saying is getting to Borda is not the part of the Napoleon route that gets closed or is inadvisable due to weather, but rather the treacherous part is between Borda and Roncevellas. If I understand that correctly, I can walk to Borda, stay there and then taxi to the Roncevellas or Valcarlos the next day to continue my Camino. Is that correct?
The way from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Borda IS part of the Napoleon trail, but fair enough to walk. But would it be ok to walk from Borda to Valcarlos at this time?

be ok to walk from Borda to Valcarlos at this time?
The road route, from near Orisson / Borda, back down the mountain to Valcarlos is walkable in the same conditions as the ascent to the Albergues. It is not way-marked and wanders as most mountain roads do but anyone with a decent mapping app (Maps.me for instance) who has uploaded the appropriate regional maps to their 'phone should have no difficulty going "off-piste".

If the weather is adverse and Pilgrims Office advise against walking the Napoleon I, personally, see little point in walking up the hill in the first place. Just walk StJ to Valcarlos and have a nice time. If that involves writing-off a few €'s on a non-refundable booking "c'est la vie / así es la vida".

You will not be the sole pilgrim at Borda, therefore, an automatic taxi share will be arranged for everyone staying there. Not to worry. For context, this is NOTHING like walking the mountains of Colorado. Its a ranching area, a lot closer to Oregon than the Rockies. A small piece of the area at the very top is prone to heavy snow and high winds in the spring.....thats the piece that you don't want to test during stormy weather. The folks at Borda will know if its safe to walk it or not. In retrospect, all the veterans should have responded to you by saying "check with the pilgrim office before you leave", which is exactly what you should do.

You will not be the sole pilgrim at Borda, therefore, an automatic taxi share will be arranged for everyone staying there. Not to worry. For context, this is NOTHING like walking the mountains of Colorado. Its a ranching area, a lot closer to Oregon than the Rockies. A small piece of the area at the very top is prone to heavy snow and high winds in the spring.....thats the piece that you don't want to test during stormy weather. The folks at Borda will know if its safe to walk it or not. In retrospect, all the veterans should have responded to you by saying "check with the pilgrim office before you leave", which is exactly what you should do.

I appreciate the responses. Of course, I know to check with pilgrims office and such a response was provided and doesn’t answer my question as it is unlikely the pilgrims office could tell me if anyone one on this forum had reservations at Borda on any given date. I did learn a few things in the process and perhaps the responses to questions I did not ask will be helpful to others. No worries, I will have the answers I need soon enough and I will be walking my own Camino just as we all do. Buen Camino.

The way from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Borda IS part of the Napoleon trail, but fair enough to walk. But would it be ok to walk from Borda to Valcarlos at this time?
What @Tincatinker says. By way of illustration, here is a useful map that has been developed by the national Spanish pilgrim association.

You can see the Valcarlos Route (green arrow A), the Napoleon Route (red arrow B), the town of Valcarlos and the refuge Orisson, the section of the trail that is closed in winter (marked by the three SOS signs/WiFi stations) and a long and winding mountain road (yellow, D-128) that connects Orisson/Borda with Valcarlos and Arneguy.

https://www.caminosantiago.org/cpperegrino/servicios/pdf/MapaSosPirineos.pdf

I’ve got reservations at Auberge Borda on 4/3 but it looks like weather may require walking the Valcarlos rather than Napoleon route.
BTW, the weather forecast for the pass for April 4 looks very promising although it is not yet firm, ie predictability is still low. So it will be really a question of the trail conditions at altitude. I guess they know it by now, with one and a half days to go until the 1st. Surely the owner of Borda will know, he lives closer to it than anyone else ...

Although ... currently, there is new snow predicted on the 1st and the 2nd, with 10-20 cm plus 5-10 cm on the Bentarte (R. Nap.) pass, again still with low predictability rates for this altitude and specific part of the region. It will be suspense until the last morning ... buen camino in any case! How much does the taxi cost? Can't be that much ... it's only about 20 km. 😊

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Do you mean April 3rd? That's the day that @Coloradowalker has a reservation.

Though may be confusing because she used the US (only) date format
Sorry, it's been a long hard night and day at work....baby boom in my city. I didn't read the dates correctly or post my dates correctly. We are booked for 4th April. So not very helpful after all.

It took me a while to work out what 4/3 meant.

4 March. Umm, that’s gone – is this an old thread? Check – no.

Ah! Americans use that style of dating, so maybe it means Apr 3. Check – yes!

Posters should write months in full on this forum to avoid confusion.

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
Hi , I'm looking for some advice. I'm flying to Madrid and catching a bus to Burgos to walk to León. I'm using a light weight foldable bag for my rucksack & poles but I would rather leave the...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
Travelers looking to visit the City of Light from Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport will soon have another flight option. Beginning May 23, Air France will start offering a new non-stop...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back