• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Single room auberge accommodation

lavender girl

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Camino Francés
2018 Camino Francés
I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final 250k but my health has taken a kick in the pants and left me chronically damaged. However I can and will do this without being a burden to my fellow pilgrims. What I do need is single room accommodation but the friendly banter of communal living attached with Is there such as this on parts of the Camino Frances that you know of please?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final 250k but my health has taken a kick in the pants and left me chronically damaged. However I can and will do this without being a burden to my fellow pilgrims. What I do need is single room accommodation but the friendly banter of communal living attached with Is there such as this on parts of the Camino Frances that you know of please?

Many Albergues do offer private rooms.
A good initial guide might be to look at Gronze dot com.
It shows the cost per bunk and per room if they have them.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Many thanks Robo I am encouraged by your reply.
Buen Camino.
On my first Camino I stayed in private rooms.
Fairly cheap Hostals at 20-30 Euro / room.
And when I stayed in Albergues, I used private rooms.
Not all have them, but some do.
So you can always look at other cheap alternatives.

If you look at this example.
I stayed at the Albergue in Terradillos that had nice private rooms in a 'wing' of the Albergue.

On my first Camino I stayed in private rooms.
Fairly cheap Hostals at 20-30 Euro / room.
And when I stayed in Albergues, I used private rooms.
Not all have them, but some do.
So you can always look at other cheap alternatives.

If you look at this example.
I stayed at the Albergue in Terradillos that had nice private rooms in a 'wing' of the Albergue.

Thank you this is very helpful. I am reassured.

When I have volunteered at donativo albergues, sometimes people who were staying at a private albergue or a hotel have befriended pilgrims staying at the albergue - and have visited the communal room in the albergue for a couple of hours before everyone retires. A memorable visit was from a pilgrim who brought wine and cakes to share before he went off to sleep elsewhere - but I don't think anyone will turn you away if you're clearly a pilgrim, not someone who goes by car...

For the record, wine and cakes are not required, but if you're planning to eat or drink at the albergue, a contribution would be very welcome.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi @lavender girl don't worry about it. Many albergues and hostels have private rooms. Go to the website Forwalk. It lists albergues, the cost per room and gives contact information. If the albergue is on booking .com the link will be there. If not there is a phone number or email address. https://app.forwalk.org/2/1/en/

What I do need is single room accommodation but the friendly banter of communal living attached with Is there such as this on parts of the Camino Frances that you know of please?

Many Albergues do offer private rooms.
A good initial guide might be to look at Gronze dot com.
It shows the cost per bunk and per room if they have them.
Robo advice is probably the best. Two other suggestions. If you do not see an albergue listed with private rooms, the owners/hospitalarios of the albergue you are staying at may have more accurate or up to date information then even Gronze. You can also get the telephone numbers of people you meet along the way with that you have connected with and like and send them whatsapp messages to see if they are sleeping in the same town or village and would like to meet for dinner.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I have volunteered at donativo albergues, sometimes people who were staying at a private albergue or a hotel have befriended pilgrims staying at the albergue - and have visited the communal room in the albergue for a couple of hours before everyone retires. A memorable visit was from a pilgrim who brought wine and cakes to share before he went off to sleep elsewhere - but I don't think anyone will turn you away if you're clearly a pilgrim, not someone who goes by car...

For the record, wine and cakes are not required, but if you're planning to eat or drink at the albergue, a contribution would be very welcome.
Like the 'winr and cake' idea will keep it in mind.

Yes! Wine and Cake excellent idea I will take it on board!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Be aware that some albergues don't let people not staying there into the albergue as a security measure for their guests. Take it on a case by case basis and be sure to ask. There have been thefts reported (none this year yet) so keeping others out is one measure.

Sometimes people want to use the kitchen or laundry facilities as these are not usually available at a hotel. This is usually also not permitted.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back