• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to Oviedo with a combination of walking and transport

peregrina2000

Staff member
I am going to take a break during my summer camino for a happy occasion in Oviedo on Wednesday, June 15. I'm trying to figure out my options, and hope the travel gurus can help.

If all goes well, I will finish up the Ebro/Castellano-Aragonés in Burgos on Saturday, June 11. I have to be in Oviedo the night of Tuesday, June 14. So I have a few days to deal with, and I just can't bear the thought of not walking while I'm on the Camino! The options I've thought of:

Walk from Burgos to Frómista and then get from Frómista to Oviedo (seems best to do that by train, connecting through Palencia).

Take train/bus from Burgos to some place on the Francés a few days' walk outside León, walk into León, and then take train or bus from León to Oviedo (would not be my first choice because I have walked into León several times over the last few years).

Take train/bus from Burgos to somewhere on the Norte and then walk into Oviedo. (I would love to be able to do this, so I could return to the beautiful church at Valdediós).

A few more tidbits: #1. I will arrive in Burgos very early, the day from Mondúbar is 19 km. So I could either keep walking on Saturday, or get my travel done that day (though I know travel options may be reduced on weekends). #2. I like to walk around 28-33 km a day but can do more if need be (and if my knee holds out this year). #3. And finally, after the event in Oviedo, I will be going to León to start the Salvador/Primitivo. If I just had one more day, I could walk the Salvador before the 15th, but I just can't walk the Salvador in 3 days.

I'm hoping there are some of you sitting around in dreary winter weather looking for camino-related projects like this one! Buen camino, y muchas gracias, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Take train/bus from Burgos to somewhere on the Norte and then walk into Oviedo. (I would love to be able to do this, so I could return to the beautiful church at Valdediós).

Bus from Burgos to Santander and another one from Santander to Ribadesella from where you could walk to Oviedo in 3 days. Bus service from Santander to Ribadesella is limited so if the schedule doesn't suit you, you could look for a bus from Santander to Llanes, stay overnight in Llanes and take a bus or a train (FEVE) from Llanes to Ribadesella early the next day to start your walking. Take a look at the web of Alsa for info about schedules to see if it suits you.

The ALSA bus between Leon and Oviedo goes through spectacular scenery!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Laurie ,Just spent a couple of hours going through your blog on Salvador/Primitivo and loved it. Hoping I get to walk them this year :)
Heather

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks amigos for the help. I have found that I wouldn't have to go all the way to Santander, but can transfer at Torrelavega and get to Ribadesella, does that sound right to those who are more skilled with ALSA schedules?

From Ribadesella, it would be three days from there to Oviedo. Only problem is that I would have to get into Burgos that morning for an 11 am bus. Since it's a short km flat day, it's possible. Maybe I'll just play it by ear -- wait and see whether I arrive from Mondúbar in time, and if I don't I'll just keep on walking from Burgos for a while on the Francés and go from Frómista to Oviedo.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have found that I wouldn't have to go all the way to Santander, but can transfer at Torrelavega and get to Ribadesella, does that sound right to those who are more skilled with ALSA schedules?

Yes. Torrelavega isn't the nicest town on Earth but to change buses and, if you have some free time, take a quick look, it's OK.

Only problem is that I would have to get into Burgos that morning for an 11 am bus.

That's what it seems because a 5 minutes conection in Torrelavega would be too risky BUT you have an alternative: To take the 13:30 bus out of Burgos (arriving to Torrelavega at 15:55) and the 16:37 FEVE train from Torrelavega to Ribadesella. If the bus arrives (more or less) on time, you would have enough time to walk from the bus station to the FEVE station (if you don't get madly lost along the way, i.e.), get your FEVE ticket and catch your train. If you never took a FEVE train, this could be a good time to get iniciated. Of course, it takes much more time than the bus but you won't be in a hurry, will you?

Yes. Torrelavega isn't the nicest town on Earth but to change buses and, if you have some free time, take a quick look, it's OK.

That's what it seems because a 5 minutes conection in Torrelavega would be too risky BUT you have an alternative: To take the 13:30 bus out of Burgos (arriving to Torrelavega at 15:55) and the 16:37 FEVE train from Torrelavega to Ribadesella. If the bus arrives (more or less) on time, you would have enough time to walk from the bus station to the FEVE station (if you don't get madly lost along the way, i.e.), get your FEVE ticket and catch your train. If you never took a FEVE train, this could be a good time to get iniciated. Of course, it takes much more time than the bus but you won't be in a hurry, will you?

Oh, what a wonderful idea! I could never have come up with that. I never have taken a FEVE train, though my walking partner on the Norte once did when her feet gave out, and she thought it was great.

It looks like it´s about a km from the bus station to the train station, so if the bus is on time, I should be able to make that connection! And no, I would not be in a hurry, I would just want to gt to Ribadesella in time to go to the albergue or a pensión.

Thanks a million, Castilian.

and p.s., just thinking about this a bit more, if it should happen that the stars align properly and the bus arrives on time I could hop over to the bus that leaves five minutes later, and if not, walk to the train statioin.

Last edited:
I have travelled on FEVE trains from Ribadeo to Oviedo to Santander and although slower than the bus,I think it is a much more enjoyable way to travel.
Good luck!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks for all the great advice, now I have two very good options. I think I will leave this decision till I walk into Burgos, though I've narrowed my choices to two.

One is to continue walking on the Frances (making it to either Carrion or Fromista, depending on how I'm going) and then taking a train or bus to Oviedo. Train from Fromista leaves at 12:09 or 19:02. Bus from Carrion leaves at 11:51.

The other option is to take the bus from Burgos to Ribadasella and walk from there, straight into Oviedo. Bus at 11 or 13:30, with Castilian's terrific fall back way to make it to Ribadasella that day on the FEVE even if I don't get into Burgos early.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back