• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting up early?

SBrierley

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2013
Getting up early to start walking? Whilst tryin to be considerate to others who get up later - and you are wearing ear plugs as most people suggest is a must - please people tell me how do you do it?.... do you set a alarm on your phone or watch and put it near your head? What about your ear plugs, do you still hear it? Do you rely on your natural body clock?..... or..... ?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you cannot wake naturally, setting any alarm is just an absolute pain to your fellow pilgrims. You may, of course, be woken by other early risers. When I walked, very few had mastered the art of getting their gear out of the dormitory into the common room completely silently, but they did make some effort. Others were completely lacking in courtesy, and packed their bags in the dormitory. At the albergue I stayed at in Sarria, some even turned on all the lights - at 5.00am!

I'm one of the lucky few who wake naturally at about 4.15am (much to the annoyance of my wife!)
As long as I'm in bed for 10.30pm then I'm fine for early starts.

By the way, what's an alarm clock? :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So how do you do it? Earplugs, no alarm and still early rise?

SBrierley said:
Getting up early to start walking? [...] please people tell me how do you do it?
It depends upon where you sleep. In an albergue with many people to a large room, one is just about forced to get up early. Under less spartan circumstances a buzzer alarm under the pillow will do. :D

The "Up" bracelet by Jawbone is marketed primarily as a pedometer + sleep tracker, but has a very cool "smart alarm" feature that causes the bracelet to vibrate when it detects you are in a light sleep cycle within a specified window of time before your desired waking time. At ~US$120 it's pretty expensive for just this feature, but I use it every morning for just this reason. It allows me (heavy sleeper) to wake up early without waking my wife (light sleeper) who is on a slightly different schedule.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Luka said:
What is your idea of early rising?
I really wouldn't bother yourself about this. You will find that if you go to bed early (as most Pilgrims do) then you will also wake up early. You will be on a completely different routine. Remember also that most Albergues have a lights out time, which is usually by 10.30 pm ( sometimes 11 pm). The Hospitaleros have a VERY long day - up before 6 am and never to bed before lights out.. Therefore they are glad when lights out time arrives! As you get into your routine, you will find that many Pilgrims are in bed and sleeping by 9.30. However, please, NO alarms. Anne

Excitement is usually a good alarm clock, I find. Usually knowing that there is adventure ahead is enough to make sure I wake up very early. On my last hike I took an alarm clock so that my hike partner would finally wake up (she was not a morning person, even that didn't wake her most days). By the time she got up everyone else was out of their beds and packing up.

There's always the option to ask another pilgrim to give you a nudge in the morning if you look like you're deep in sleep by a certain time. I'm sure no one would mind as long as you remember that you asked them to do it and aren't a grumpy riser :)

annakappa said:
Luka said:
What is your idea of early rising?
I really wouldn't bother yourself about this. You will find that if you go to bed early (as most Pilgrims do) then you will also wake up early. You will be on a completely different routine. Remember also that most Albergues have a lights out time, which is usually by 10.30 pm ( sometimes 11 pm). The Hospitaleros have a VERY long day - up before 6 am and never to bed before lights out.. Therefore they are glad when lights out time arrives! As you get into your routine, you will find that many Pilgrims are in bed and sleeping by 9.30. However, please, NO alarms. Anne
Thanks for that comment about hospitaleros, Anne. It is a long day and as you say, many hospitaleros are up at about 5.45 am and from 10 pm a count down until you can switch the lights out at 10.30! Fortunately, often all pilgrims are in bed by 9.30 pm or 10.00 pm, so the exhausted Hospitalero can get an 'early night'. Many pilgrims are up well before 6.00 am.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thankyou people for your great replies :D I am normally a early riser by nature - I think I am a bit guilty of over thinking... I like the idea of asking someone else to give me a nudge if they see me still alseep... I like and agree with the idea of 'the excitement of the new days adventure will wake me early!' - Fanatastic cant wait! 3 months till I leave :D

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.