• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Going back to the start

hfenton

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Invierno (2023)
I'm thinking, if I have time after completing the Camino Frances, of revisiting some cities I walked through (Burgos and Pamplona) and walking from Pamplona back to SJPP and then training from there back to Paris. Can I expect to be welcomed in the albergues?

I would get to Burgos and Pamplona by train from Santiago.

Thank you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Most private Albergues will be unconcerned by your direction or means of travel, but you might wish to consider using hostal or hotel accommodation. As a pilgrim, on foot returning from Santiago your are entitled to use the municipal and parochial Albergues provided you produce your credencial. You could continue to use the credencial that carried you to Santiago or obtain a new one in Pamplona. Back when trains were made up of ox-carts or silk walking was the way everyone got home.

Buen camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Due to general incompetence on my part I bought a flight home from Santander instead of Santiago, and so had to back track to near where I started. I had a few days in hand, and so bused to one of my favourite parts and started walking again towards Santander. I was worried that my credencial would be questioned, given that I had the stamp from Santiago in it, but the reality was no one batted an eyelid, and when I did explain why I was walking again, everyone was just amused at my error. This re walking let me muse on the idea of walking back.
I was told while walking the camino, that tradition said you could tell those who had reached Santiago and were now walking home, by the light in their eyes.
I always thought "By the light in their eyes" would be a good title for a camino book. My favourite walkers with the light in their eyes were a British couple I met who had started walking from their home in France, to Santiago via the Frances and were now walking home via the Norte. He was 82 years old, but said he wasn't allowed to say his wifes age, however he gave a conspiratorial wink and said quietly "between us we have 150 years". I hope you have a great time on the way home.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
So, taking a bed from someone headed to Santiago, when there is so much talk about a bed race, so you can save a few € while touring Spain? Hmmm... This is not the same as walking back home from Santiago.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So, taking a bed from someone headed to Santiago, when there is so much talk about a bed race, so you can save a few € while touring Spain? Hmmm... This is not the same as walking back home from Santiago.
I hear what you're saying but I wonder if any number of people could raise any number of complaints about who is taking beds away from whom on the Camino. Is my supposed touring of Spain on my way from Santiago any different from my touring Spain on the way to Santiago? Do we know the intentions of everyone on the Camino and are we going to judge who has a valid reason and who doesn't to be here? I'm not willing to judge anyone else; especially since I haven't walked in their shoes (or boots as the case may be).

Is my supposed touring of Spain on my way from Santiago any different from my touring Spain on the way to Santiago? Do we know the intentions of everyone on the Camino and are we going to judge who has a valid reason and who doesn't to be here? I'm not willing to judge anyone else; especially since I haven't walked in their shoes (or boots as the case may be).
Dear heavens. There is a reason why the crendecial must be filled in "chronological and geographical" oder. A reason why pilgrims are only allowed to,spend one night in an albergue, unless they are ill, injured. A reason why the Compostela is supposed to only be upissued to those walking " devotionis affectu, voti vel pietatis causa (motivated by devotion, vote or mercy)".

You made it very clear the intend was to visit Burgos and Pamplona. That is tourism. That is not subsidised by donations and volunteers.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back