• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

going the Valcarlos route Apr 1st

gypsywind

well, Pilgrims, I have decided I have to commit to the Valcarlos route. Though I am going to flow once I get my flow going, I can't find out about Orrison until Apr. 1st, as per their email. Sooo, I do want to have my 1st few days planned, so I am going to Book into Valcarlos the 1st night. It is my understanding that is a gentler jumping off route, am I correct? and any ideas for Roncevalles stay? I am a bit concerned about my budget, am I looking at the wrong places? The 2 places I looked at in V, are about 40eu per night, I thought I was going to be paying 10ish. Any corrections for my directions from you Camino Veterans?

Best Regards, Shannon

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
On my first Camino (July-August) I walked the ValCarlos route to Roncesvalles the first day. At the time I didn't know there were two routes. I didn't have a guidebook when I got to St Jean and I had never researched the Camino on a forum. So when I stepped off in the morning I ended up on that route with only about 5-6 other pilgrims I saw all day until I reached Roncesvalles at about 4:00 pm. About 1/2 way one of the other pilgrims informed me there were two routes and also that I had entered Spain. Cool.
Anyway, no regrets and it is a beautiful route as well (check out my photos on here, I have some from that day).
There are threads on here about the route:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/valcarlos-route.4750/
And check this out as well. Looks like there is an albergue there:
http://www.gronze.com/navarra/valcarlos
cheers

well, Pilgrims, I have decided I have to commit to the Valcarlos route. Though I am going to flow once I get my flow going, I can't find out about Orrison until Apr. 1st, as per their email. Sooo, I do want to have my 1st few days planned, so I am going to Book into Valcarlos the 1st night. It is my understanding that is a gentler jumping off route, am I correct? and any ideas for Roncevalles stay? I am a bit concerned about my budget, am I looking at the wrong places? The 2 places I looked at in V, are about 40eu per night, I thought I was going to be paying 10ish. Any corrections for my directions from you Camino Veterans?

Best Regards, Shannon

Hi Shannon
The 40 Euro you have been quoted would be about average for the small hotels/pensions along the Camino Frances (ie private rooms,), so I imagine that you have been looking at a couple of those sort of places in Valcarlos. The 10-ish Euro you have heard about would be for albergues (with dormitories and bunk beds). There is a municipal albergue in Valcarlos which is about 10 Euro I think. Not sure if it accepts reservations, others on the Forum will know although this info suggests it does: http://www.gronze.com/navarra/valcarlos/albergue-municipal-valcarlos

For Roncesvalles there is the albergue (which does accept bookings) or 3 hotels which would be more expensive. More info here: http://www.gronze.com/navarra/roncesvalles

Buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Shannon
The 40 Euro you have been quoted would be about average for the small hotels/pensions along the Camino Frances (ie private rooms,), so I imagine that you have been looking at a couple of those sort of places in Valcarlos. The 10-ish Euro you have heard about would be for albergues (with dormitories and bunk beds). There is a municipal albergue in Valcarlos which is about 10 Euro I think. Not sure if it accepts reservations, others on the Forum will know although this info suggests it does: http://www.gronze.com/navarra/valcarlos/albergue-municipal-valcarlos

For Roncesvalles there is the albergue (which does accept bookings) or 3 hotels which would be more expensive. More info here: http://www.gronze.com/navarra/roncesvalles

Buen camino!
Thanks for that, I am saving my pennies for the end of the trip, I plan on doing a nice place in Santiago, and maybe midway, but certainly not the 1st day out!
Thanks Again !

You're right, by going Valcarlos Route it is an easier first day when you overnight in Valcarlos (only 13kms +/- and pretty flat). Shortly after you leave SJPDP you can cross the river and take a very quiet country road all the way up to Arneguy and then cross the road (and river again) and take another quiet road to Valcarlos. The only downside of the second alternate route is the steep climb out of the river valley up to the Albergue at the very end of your day! The municipal albergue @mspath noted above has a nice little kitchen and there is a good grocery store a short walk away so you can well save your pennies by cooking yourself dinner that night! Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For your 10 euros at the Valcarlos albergue you also get a private locker, and a breakfast left by the hospitalero. It is continental style, bread, jam, small cakes, enough to pack in your backpack if you want to rush off in the morning but do fill your water bottle. Buen Camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The Valcarlos route is a lovely route, we got to Valcarlos at 11.10 but decided it was too early to stop so we pushed on to Roncevalles. It gets a bit steep after leaving Valcarlos but not too bad. I would also suggest staying on the road from there on and not using the trail that leaves the road to the left, this can be very muddy and is very steep to climb back up to the road, it avoids the long sweeping bends in the road but is very hard going early in the year. You might save a kilometre or two by using it but the road is easier IMO.
Buen Camino.

Hey Shannon,

The Valcarlos albergue is great! Highly recommend it! If you don't get there too late, you shouldn't even need to make a reservation - I stayed there last year around the same time, only a few days earlier. It was beginning of Spanish easter holidays and the Napoleon route was closed, so almost everyone walked via Valcarlos, but it still was no problem getting a bed without reservation.
For entering the albergue you need a key code, which you can get in the bar across the street. The hospitalera will come in the evening to collect the money and stamp your credencial.

In Roncesvalles there is a huge albergue. I don't know whether they accept reservations or not, but even if not, don't worry, there will be a bed for you. Both the Valcarlos and Roncesvalles albergue are 10 Euros per night, if I recall correctly. During the time you're walking, reservation should not be necessary. And if you do a bit of planning, you won't have to spend more than 10Euros per night anywhere, apart from Santiago, maybe.

Also, if you're not the kind of person who stumbles and falls a lot, I'd recommend to take the path through the woods after Valcarlos. It was muddy when I got there, but I was still able to walk in sandals most of the time. And if you might be worried about getting lost in the wilderness - no need to be, the road is always quite close.

In case of snow, the road is probably the better option, though.

Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back