• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Good Things That Happen On the Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
With all the news about the one or two negative events that have happened along the Camino, I thought it might be good to start a thread about the POSITIVE experiences we have along the route. I have had many positive experiences, but here is one.

In 2013 when I walked, it was VERY very cold, even in June.
The wind was blowing and there was icy rain.

I stopped at a bar in Santa Catalina and was just freezing.
The barkeep also had rooms, and so I asked if there was a "free box" where I might pick up some leggings or sweat pants.

She said no, but then got on the telephone to her husband and had him drive over with a pair of her own sweatpants for me!

I almost cried I was so happy!

She instructed me to just leave the pants for her at the albergue in Rabanal, which I did.

What a Camino ANGEL!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
With all the news about the one or two negative events that have happened along the Camino, I thought it might be good to start a thread about the POSITIVE experiences we have along the route. I have had many positive experiences, but here is one.

The barkeep also had rooms, and so I asked if there was a "free box" where I might pick up some leggings or sweat pants.

She said no, but then got on the telephone to her husband and had him drive over with a pair of her own sweatpants for me!

She instructed me to just leave the pants for her at the albergue in Rabanal, which I did.

What a Camino ANGEL!
She absolute is, Peter.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In September '12 I was on my way to O Cebreiro and decided to stop for the day at A Escuela in Laguna, which seemed very nice and had single beds in the albergue dorm upstairs. I had just finished my chores for the day and was waiting for dinner when the heavens opened. The wind and rain was horrendous and I was so glad I was indoors! Then the man who ran it started making phone calls, got his rain gear on and went outside. He backed his tractor out of the garage and started driving down the hill ... I asked his wife what was so important in this awful weather and she said he had gone to pick up pilgrims! He then came back with bikes and people, got spare mattresses out and put people up on the floor in the garage for the night. He drove up the hill too to check. Such a great place, such lovely people - I always stop there and spend some money even if I don't sleep there.

What a Camino ANGEL!
Annie,

Sounds like the bar San Blas in Santa Catalina de Somoza. Late last November when I was alone in the dorm on Sunday they set outside the door a hot thermos of coffee, buns and hard boiled eggs for my next morning breakfast since the bar would only open late morning. What a happy surprise it was to find and enjoy in the frosty morning air.

MM

Last edited:

What a Camino ANGEL!
What a lovely idea for a thread, Annie, and you have given a wonderful example! I'm on the Francés at the moment with my mother (Ponferrada tonight) and have been overwhelmed by the kindnesses we have experienced. I think if there is one memory of the local people along the Camino I will take away it's the kindness. Just a few examples:

1. I just mentioned on another thread the bar owner who rather than calling a taxi which would have had to come a long way, packed us into his four wheel drive and carried us over the rough tracks from El Ganso to Santa Colomba when we were too footsore to walk further. Refused all attempts at payment.

2. The Casa Rural owner who, when she came to say goodbye, handed us warm packets of egg sandwiches to take for our "picnic".

3. The hostal owner who understood we'd be asleep before the 9pm dinner so made us boccadillos "for later" and added an orange each, just because.

4. The lovely albergue owner who rather than explain about the washing machine just took our laundry from us, washed it and hung it out on her line, while sending us off to rest!

So many small and large kindnesses.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

What a Camino ANGEL!
Great idea Annie! As important as it is, it is getting a little depressing to read all of the sad news.

I walked Camino Portugues recently. It was very warm and I left my fleece jacket to one hostel as I thought I don´t need it and my bag was very heavy (well, my first few days in Camino). So one day when I was walking, I thought I was on my way to Golegã. Actually I followed the wrong arrows and ended up in Amiais de Baixo. I asked Nelly, the girl who runs a hotel, is there any shop near I can buy some long sleeve T-shorts or something as I was freezing and she gave me her fleece jacket. :) I was so happy.
Week later I used an Airbnb and my host was paramedic- so he checked my poor, not happy feet and gave me lot of medicines and stuff to help me

Did our first camino (Ingles) last week, and so many kindnesses along the way ...

- the manager of our hotel at Pontedeume who didn't speak a word of English but rang the one member of her staff who did when we arrived exhausted at the end of day one so that she could offer us hot food and drink even though the kitchen had closed hours earlier, then the next morning drove us back to the camino herself to save us getting a taxi (and gave me huge hugs to wish us on our way)

- the waitress at a bar in Mino, who took our bottles away to refill them, and when I went in five minutes later to find out what she'd done with them, pointed to them in the ice cream freezer where she'd left them to chill (and then also gave me hugs - there were a lot of hugs along the way!)

- the lovely couple at a tiny village halfway through our very hard third day, who when we knocked on the door to ask to refill our water bottles invited us in, offered us food and insisted that we at least took some digestive biscuits as we left

- the passing drivers who slowed down to wave and wish us 'Buen camino' - there were several of those ...

- all the people along the way who looked out for us, pointed out the way, told us when we'd taken a wrong turn, told us we'd only got a few kms to go at the end of a stage, and totally made us feel safe and welcome in a land we have never visited before and have no language for. Moitas grazas!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
While walking the Norte a couple of years ago, I became part of a camino family of four fellow pilgrims. We had been walking a long hard stretch and arrived at a private alberge very hot, tired and in need of some rest and recuperation. I had been having a bad day with serious blisters on one foot, to the point I really could hardly walk anymore. Our path had been crossing with a pilgrim called Gunter who was notorious along the camino as he was the loudest and most irregular snorer anyone had ever heard, causing many a sleepless night for anyone sharing a room with him. All my friends spoke German, which I didn't, and one spoke Spanish so after some serious discussion with the hospitalero I was shown to a small and quiet room, while the others bunked down in the other room which was a large dorm. It was only the next day that I discovered that they had all agreed to give me the quiet room and they would share with Gunter, literally guaranteeing themselves a sleepless night in order that I could rest well. Only those who had experienced Gunter murdering sleep with his nasal activities could understand what a generous action this was. It was a true act of friendship.

Last edited:
Yes there are luckily more positive events than negative events on the camino.
But maybe some readers of this forum might like to be alerted or are unaware that the walk needs to be made safer. Im sorry Annie these are not just ONE OR TWO isolated events. And yes serious negative events do happen. There were many incidences of sexual misconduct on the road to Santiago last year. Not just one or two. Its only now that women are coming forward to alert women to safety and to keep the positivity flowing. Unfortunately I was the victim of two incidences last year, one on the meseta and one out of santiago to finisterre. And 5 other female walkers also came forward with similar events. Alert police, make sure that you are not entirely alone, if an incident does occur alert other walkers to keep them safe. thank you for listening.

Last edited:
One my first Camino I got VERY sick in Sahagun with a bad flu. We needed to get a private room, both for myself to get some rest and so as not to expose other pilgrims to my bug. We walked to a hotel, but they were completo. We walked out of the place, and I was almost crying I felt so bad. A kind elderly gentleman took us by the arm and led us a couple of blocks away to another pension where we were given a private room. He was so kind to go out of his way, and I was very very thankful. My experiences have been so positive along the Camino!

Here is one miracle that happened on the VDLP:
http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-miracle-of-abanico.html

Another time, I was walking the Aragones Route and I'd left Jaca without breakfast.
You can read about it here:
http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/11/aragones-route-sta-celia-to-arres.html

One last story about a Camino Angel who healed me:
http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2015/05/remembering-good-found-on-camino.html

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
One or two negative events??? There were many incidences of sexual misconduct on the road to Santiago last year. Not just one or two. Its only now that women like me are coming forward to alert women to safety. I was the victim of two incidences last year, one on the meseta and one out of santiago to finisterre. PLEASE TAKE CARE. Please stop covering this issue up!

What a Camino ANGEL!
[/QUOTE]
Tara67: I don't think Anniesantiago is trying to cover anything up. I for one am glad this information is being communicated. I have been one of the women telling all other women that the Camino is completely safe for solo women travelers. That has been my experience since my first Camino in 2004. I just returned from my 4th camino and have to admit that I am glad I didn't know any of this while I was walking. I only saw other pilgrims on 6 days and walked/ slept alone most of the way completely trusting that I would be safe. I will be more alert in the future. That said, I think Anniesantiago is just trying to put the dangers in perspective. They are real, we need to be aware, but we need to be careful letting fear take over. She has taken some heat for trying to communicate this. I think her response to the increased number of posts that are creating not only awareness but fear (I have felt it) is perfect. Let's balance this sad and scary news with remembering all the kindness and good things that happen on the Camino ( it is why we walk and keep returning). There are a lot of new peregrinos visiting this forum. We do want to help them have a realistic perspective of the Camino. Thank you Anniesantiago for starting this post.

@Anniesantiago, this thread of positives is a wonderful idea. I met my first Camino angel on the train from Biarritz, the wrong train I might add. I was trying to get to SJPP via Bayonne and noticed in Toulouse that something wasn't quite right. A French lady went with me to the ticket agent and explained my problem. She then wrote a "To whom it may concern" letter so I could show it to ticket agents and conductors along the way until I arrived at SJPP a day late. The train people even honored my original ticket (with the letter) so it didn't cost any additional Euro.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
But maybe some readers of this forum might like to be alerted or are unaware that the walk needs to be made safer. Im sorry Annie these are not just ONE OR TWO isolated events. And yes serious negative events do happen. There were many incidences of sexual misconduct on the road to Santiago last year. Not just one or two. Its only now that women are coming forward to alert women to safety and to keep the positivity flowing. Unfortunately I was the victim of two incidences last year, one on the meseta and one out of santiago to finisterre. And 5 other female walkers also came forward with similar events. Alert police, make sure that you are not entirely alone, if an incident does occur alert other walkers to keep them safe. thank you for listening.
There are numerous threads to alert us to the dangers that may be out there. This specific thread, as I understand it, is a gratitude thread where we can remind ourselves and each other of our positive experiences.

There are numerous threads to alert us to the dangers that may be out there. This specific thread, as I understand it, is a gratitude thread where we can remind ourselves and each other of our positive experiences.
A great idea Annie. Thank you for taking action. I am glad to get back to a positive conversation.
During my del Norte in 2011 I made a rather bad decision. I zigged instead of zagged. It was one of those days that I was just so happy to be on the Camino and enjoying the experience and I wasn't looking for arrows or sign that I was heading in the right direction. In fact I was about a kilometre off course and still oblivious to my folly when I heard a familiar Australian accent hailing me "Jim you are going the wrong way!" Her voice was breathless and she had run, with backpack to catch me and set me on the right path.
Jessica had seen me veer off the route from a height of land about 250 metres behind me. Such was my pace that it took her a full k to catch me but catch me she did.
We had a good laugh and I sheepishly headed back to the route with her. We finished the Camino together from that point.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So much to thank for, the glass is always half full. Here are a few good things that I can share:

1. a female pilgrim who showed me how to use a needle and thread to treat a blister.

2. cooked curried potato for fellow pilgrims, everyone was over joy for not eating another menu del dias.

3. an Albergue host drove down the Camino path to give us free ice cold bottle water when it was scorching 36'C, we were doing a 30 Km that day to Villafranca.

4. village ladies line up along the calle and hand out cookies and hot chocolate to all pilgrims.

5. random donativo stands along the Camino that offer fresh fruit for a small donation.

Thanks James!

Thank you for this lovely thread, Annie. I do not in any way want dismiss people's concerns, but it is a fact that what we dwell on repeatedly tends to take root in the mind and heart. So I'm glad to have a place where we can share the beauty--as well as a place where we can share and air our concerns and our pain. You've got to have both sides.:)

Too many angels to count for me. If I listed them it would look like the rolling credits at the end of a movie. People can be so kind. It's out true nature, I think.I've told a few stories on other threads (sorry, can't remember where...never mind...)

But in the spirit of this thread, here's another...
I'd heard about Pepe at the Albergue in Mazariffe--San Antonio de Padua--people had said he was a physio. I already wanted to stay there because I knew they had delicious vegetarian food (we'd eaten lunch there the year before)--and the idea of having someone who knew what they were doing look at my ankle definitely added to the appeal. It was hurting a lot, in a weird way, and I was concerned about getting across the mountains to Bierzo.
So when we got there and had settled in I asked if he could look at it. Certainly. What he did was not at all what I expected--this was not a mechanical assessment but something else altogether. He may have been a physio, but in truth he is a healer as well. Some of what he did was standard procedure for any physio, but it felt a lot more like a laying on of hands.
And the ankle was very different when he finished. Clearly it was nothing special for him, perhaps it happens a lot that people stand up after he's worked on ailing limbs and express amazed relief. He just quietly smiled, picked up his cigarettes, and went off to prepare dinner (which was delicious, by the way). Ho hum. Another day, another peregrino. And I flew over those mountains...not completely without discomfort, but infinitely easier than I had thought possible given how the leg had been feeling before.
Definitely an angel.

hey Peter.........We made it as far as Leon with no problems.........Didnt get to meet you after all.we are back home for now...cant wait until September to finish it..........I hope your Camino is going well.....Buen Camino
Hi, i'm leaving Sarria this morning. At the 24th I met my wife in Pedrouzo and we walk the last 20km together to Santiago. I wish you well and a Buen Camino for your return in September, Peter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks Annie for starting this thread.

So often I log onto this forum and there is a thread or a comment that is just what I need to hear. This forum is definitely the camino away from the camino.

When I arrived in Granon last March after a particularly hard day full of self doubt and feeling quite alone, the hospitalero (his name was Jesus!), gave me a great big hug as soon as I arrived. It was magic, simple and just what I needed at that moment.

He did this to all the pilgrims but that didn't diminish its effect.

buen camino

The Z-bad when the place was full in Monjardin. The helpful (re)directions. The Guardia patrols on the messeta. The birthday hug from the albergue abuela in Ages. The attempts to speak English. The little Camino notebook given by the woman in a bar on the Ingles. The enthusiasm of Elder for helping us all on the Salvador. So many wonderful hospitaleros/as! Everyone at the Pilgrim's office. Last but not definitely not least John and Ivar! I will stop now, though there are so many more blessings to be grateful for.

But in the spirit of this thread, here's another...
I'd heard about Pepe at the Albergue in Mazariffe--San Antonio de Padua--people had said he was a physio. I already wanted to stay there because I knew they had delicious vegetarian food (we'd eaten lunch there the year before)--and the idea of having someone who knew what they were doing look at my ankle definitely added to the appeal. It was hurting a lot, in a weird way, and I was concerned about getting across the mountains to Bierzo.
So when we got there and had settled in I asked if he could look at it. Certainly. What he did was not at all what I expected--this was not a mechanical assessment but something else altogether. He may have been a physio, but in truth he is a healer as well. Some of what he did was standard procedure for any physio, but it felt a lot more like a laying on of hands.
And the ankle was very different when he finished. Clearly it was nothing special for him, perhaps it happens a lot that people stand up after he's worked on ailing limbs and express amazed relief. He just quietly smiled, picked up his cigarettes, and went off to prepare dinner (which was delicious, by the way). Ho hum. Another day, another peregrino. And I flew over those mountains...not completely without discomfort, but infinitely easier than I had thought possible given how the leg had been feeling before.
Definitely an angel.

Pepe and his hospitalera are also on my list of Camino Angels. The hospitalera treated my blisters and gave me a foot rub that felt very like a reflexology treatment. She was a lovely kind person - we had a very special and memorable conversation. The communal, home-cooked vegetarian pilgrim meal brought the day to a perfect end.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I lost my passport in Le Puy en Velay on the way/camino to Santiago de Compostela on Sunday and didn't realize it until Tuesday. The donativo gite hospitalero at Relais du Pelerin St Jacques drove and met me in Monistrol-d'Allier to return it to me. Awesome gite when I was there..very welcome. And they went out of their way to return my American passport which in the wrong hands was worth $30k. The camino always has miracles and has people acting how God intended. One day it will be more common in the real world..not just the caminos, chemins, camminos!

My first Camino I was walking around the bus station in Pamplona in a daze. Three Spanish women from Madrid approached me and with very little English asked me if I wanted to join them in a taxi to Roncesvalles (our starting point). They took me under their wings that day, evening and we walked together the next morning. I will never forget their kindness and spirit!

The man sitting outside his shop in a town I can't remember somewhere between Sarria and Santiago who was beckoning at us wildly to get our attention and to point out that we had missed the street where the path continued, I was very grateful, it was not a day I could have added unnecessary km's to.
The pension owner in Palas de Rei whom we got talking to as we wandered around in the evening, who off her own bat rang ahead to the next town and organised our accomodation as we explained how difficult it had been to find some place in the Brierly stops the previous two nights, it was Easter week and we were on target for reaching Santiago on Holy Thursday.
Lots of lovely kind people. I don't want to be afraid to approach an old man beckoning wildly at me when 99 out of 100 times it's very legitimate why he wants your attention.
Let's keep things positive, every day life has enough hardships and burdens and I look forward to my short camino in 10 days as a solo walker and I am going to enjoy it :). I hope all of ye do too.
Rita

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In two Camino Frances I experienced kindness as the norm from fellow pilgrims and countless 'locals' along the Way. One of many recollections is the cafe on the outskirts of Burgos where we were included in a celebration of some sort and brought plates of food even though we had only purchased coffee.

At some point along the route rita i will be passing by i will ring my bell or beep my horn
but i certainly dont want to scare or startle anyone i am a male cycling solo (UP TO NOW)
What im getting at is the scare mongering that is going on at moment on site yes the news needs to be out but dont forget there are good male pilgrims out there doing the way solo
there are good solo male walkers or cyclist out there who will look after the camino and the pilgrims on it so if anybody see me and have a problem do not hesitate to ask and i hope to make conversation with a few of you on the way

Last edited:
Great of you to start this Annie. As one of you knows, I was very close to unsubscribing from this forum yesterday as I feel frustrated and irritated by what I perceive as the constant attacks on Spain, the Spanish, Spanish blue-collar workers (!!!!!) and especially the Spanish police force. This thread has given me hope!

I live in Spain and have done for 15 years and whilst ONE attack is one too many let's PLEASE remember just how many people complete their camino (whether it is 50 or 500kms) with nothing but positives. I think much of this negativity has done nothing to support the camino and its credibility and integrity. If it has upset one person or stopped one person (man or woman) then I think we need to look carefully at ourselves. The parable of specks and planks comes to mind often.

Spain is NOT paradise but I am delighted to see Annie bringing some balance into the discussion. I have spent 2,000 nights on the road in the past 10 years, yes 200 nights per year (sic) and I have met almost universal kindness. I could fill this forum (never mind just this thread) with tales of kindness and support

Buen camino a todos. Gracias, Annie. !!Eres la leche!! ( .... a good phrase to use when somebody has been ESPECIALLY kind/thoughtful/helpful)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Part of the problem with telling other pilgrims to be alert is in the (nowadays) nature of Camino - usually we only walk in one direction. If an accident is reported to the police in "next" town can you be sure that this is reported to the police (or even albergues) in towns that you have already left behind?
Anybody knows the pattern of Spanish police in such cases?

Yes, they are a tightly meshed NETWORK of forces - local, regional, provincial and national (...and international)

...and yet another IMPLICATION that the Spanish police are some sort of country bumpkins. I have worked CLOSELY with the police for much of the past 15 years and I have found them almost homogeneously professional, dedicated, caring and committed ..... like probably 99% of the police throughout the world.

It has been made VERY clear to me this week when talking to them about the missing American to keep my thoughts to myself. (Seemingly liaison is one way!!) I am just as frustrated with the fact that she has not been found as anybody else but that is not through any lack of effort or volition on their part, I have been ASSURED!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You know there is not a single day that goes by since I have been back on the forum and since Denise disappeared that the whole crime issue has not been thought about by the majority if not all of us. But there are many threads in this forum that discuss it and although I especially appreciate the seriousness and I am an advocate of being forthright and coming forward and /or discussing all of the issues in the other threads, this has been the ONLY thread in a while where I hear genuine love and gratitude and wonder at the camino experience. I am asking for all readers of the thread that we keep this thread ONLY for mentions and posts of gratitude and thankfulness and angels unaware along the Camino. I am sure I speak for many that it is difficult to just bask in the wonder of the Camino right now without being bombarded by the scares and ugly things that have been reported as of late ...nor do I not have compassion for these situations but please please let us keep just one thread as pure as possible of just thankfulness and great fulness. There are so many other threads we could discuss the rest of the situations. ...Please...for those of us who have not yet travelled please...and for the love of the Camino that each and ever one of us share...please.

The hug of a hospitalero in Grañon when I was crying and at breaking point.
The lovely talk I had with a member of the Guardia Civil ( him talking about his son being on Erasmus exchange in my country )
at7.30 at the breakfast bar in an hostal in El Burgo Ranero.
Maribeth from S-Paul Minnesota who helped me out with the straps of my pack..Until then I wore my pack in a complete wrong way...( less shoulder pain from then on).
Meeting some forummembers in real life...boys and girls : you know who you are ;-)
The peregrina who took a Vow of silence and how we communicated with each other : thumbs up and a hand on our heart....
... .

Elizabet at the Albergue Parochial in Logrono who said "Buen Camino, hmm, have a good life is better".

Carl, who saw me picking litter one morning pulled a carrier bag from the hedge and joined me, one side of the trail each.

Gerheit, who knew he would never get to Santiago but got up every morning and walked.

The woman in Itero de la Vega who made me coffee in her bar that was "Cerrado".

La Curiosa in Mansilla de Las Mulas.

Tomas, ringing his bell, looking after pilgrims as every good Templar should.

Carmelo, in his plimsoles in the snow at El Ganso "if you will walk with me then I will walk with you and we will go together to Rabanal. There will be a fire, we can be warm together."

The woman of Cacabelos who led me to good food and a warm bed on a bleak and snow flurried night. And then went her own way.

The caretaker at Villar de las Donas who said "ah, a pilgrim, you'll need a little time with Him." and left me on my knees before that risen Christ.

And that lovely member who PM'd me to tell me I was doing a decent job as a moderator

The Camino is a good place and together we can keep it that way. Be good to each other, look out for each other, we are all pilgrim.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you Annie for reminding us of the positives.

For me the best this was after walking 30km into Arzua and failing to find our booked accommodation only to be told it was 8km off the camino. My walking partner could barely take another step after walking nearly all day in the rain.

We debated for a while what to do and finally decided to take a taxi there. We arrived exhausted at an ancient casa rurale that had been in the same family for 500 years to be greeted by an open fire and the mother of the house. She settled us in and took our clothes to wash. After a siesta and a beer, we came down for dinner only to find by the fire an Irish couple, both psychiatrists we had met at a morning break in the pouring rain. The four of us had dinner together which was superb home Galician cooking and bottle after bottle of vino tinto. The conversation and the night were magic and replenished tired spirits and bodies for that last push into Santiago.

It was such a chance find and meeting... If only I had got their names and contact details!

Last edited:
Elizabet at the Albergue Parochial in Logrono who said "Buen Camino, hmm, have a good life is better".

Carl, who saw me picking litter one morning pulled a carrier bag from the hedge and joined me, one side of the trail each.

The Camino is a good place and together we can keep it that way. Be good to each other, look out for each other, we are all pilgrim.

BEAUTIFUL ...... your glass almost overflows! #respect

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Annie, if you ever pass thru Bilbo walking the Camino del Norte or simply passing thru do let me know.
I owe you a big hug and a kiss. This thread is the best thing that has happened on this forum in a very long time.

I wish to thanks every single person who I´ve met on my 4 Caminos, everyone without exception the people at Renfe, Alsa, Vueling who have taken us to and back. All the peregrinos which I´ve met. The hospitaleros at all the albergues public and private. The hotel staff at the hotels which we´ve stayed at. All the people who ´ve looked after us at breakfast, lunch and dinner at bars and restaurants. The people at greengrocers, supermarkets and all the different shops which we´ve stopped at along the Camino. To all the people here on the forum, those I´ve shared comments with, those which just read but don´t post even those trolls ...... yep there are some here too. And to end this , to all the peregrinos which I see here in Bilbo as I go to work in the morning who I great with an Ondo Ibili ! and who I ´d love to walk with and those peregrinos later in the day who are walking around town lost or not. And anyone else who I´v forgotten to mention. And to end to" Santi" who has greeted me in the cathedral on my 4 Caminos and who I hope to hug this coming August once again. THANK YOU ALL. :)

Ondo Ibili !

Impresionante - Eskerrik asko - lo siento por mi vasco ........ lamentable

During a 40k day, thanks to some arrows that pointed to an albergue and not to the Camino, I ended up going the wrong way down a highway out of Fromista, during a driving rain storm. A police car pulled up along side of me. Although they didn't speak English, they were nice enough to give me a ride back to town and point me in the right direction.

Later that afternoon, once the rain had stopped and the clouds parted, I decided I would stop at the albergue in
Villarmentero de Campos. (That's the one with the teepees) The woman there said the albergue wasn't open yet, and by not open she meant for the season, not just the day. She informed me that the next albergue was about 5 k away, but it too was closed. The closest open albergue was in Carrion, about 10 k away. The woman offered me a coke and some snack cakes, which I enjoyed on the patio, listening to her sing along with Bob Marley songs while she cleaned and readied to open in a few weeks.

I arrived at Carrion around 8pm. There is an albergue right as you come into town. I walked up to the door but no one was around. Finally someone came outside and told me the albergue was closed. Well, then maybe you shouldn't have a giant sign lit up advertising an albergue! I walked into town and with the help of another police officer, I found the other albergue. There, I ran into many pilgrims who I had met before, including a gentleman who I had met the first day. They gave me some leftovers from the meal they had, but someone said they didn't know if there was any available beds.

A nun came out to do one last check before sending everyone to bed. I asked her if there were any beds open or if I would have to find another place. She said, smiling, "There will always be a place for you here!" I thought about those words. She didn't say, "There is a bed for you tonight," or something like that. No, she told me that there will ALWAYS be a place for me. For ME! And it just wasn't politeness. I believe her. I believe I could have been a destitute bum without 2 pennies to rub together and she would have found me a bed. And she did.

Thanks Annie for starting this thread.

So often I log onto this forum and there is a thread or a comment that is just what I need to hear. This forum is definitely the camino away from the camino.

When I arrived in Granon last March after a particularly hard day full of self doubt and feeling quite alone, the hospitalero (his name was Jesus!), gave me a great big hug as soon as I arrived. It was magic, simple and just what I needed at that moment.

He did this to all the pilgrims but that didn't diminish its effect.

buen camino
"The Camino away from the Camino"...I love that. Never would have thought to put it that way, but that is exactly what it feels like. Never felt so in kinship with so many people except on the Camino!

Thank you all so much for sharing your wonderful stories!
They are so very uplifting, and go far to restore our faith in humanity and shine light during short periods of darkness.
I love Spain and the Spanish people.
And I love the Camino.

Please don't let this thread die out.
Please continue to share...
and again, Gracias!

Someone mentioned Tomas!
Yes! For his bell that brings the pilgrims in from the fog and rain to enjoy hot coffee and biscuits.
For his quiet wisdom when he offered the shoeless, silent man a bed after the rest of us had judged the man wrongly.
For the peregina who gave me a piece of chocolate when I crying in pain on the way down to Roncesvalles on my first Camino.
For the woodcarver, Antonio Duran, who invited us in to his little casa and fed us iced cold Gazpacho on the Via de la Plata.
For the firemen who went into town and brought us back water on the Via de la Plata!
For the priest at Viana parochial who invited us into the basement to see the church treasures
For the peregrino priest at Rabanal who led Mass in the back yard when the church was closed
For the pharmacist who washed, doctored, and wrapped Joe's leg and charged only 6 euros for the medicine
For the 3-person albergue at Uterga where we spent a fun night with one Mexican Peregrina named Jessica
For the beautiful local choir who woke us up at dawn in Viana singing "Aurora a La Virgen de Cuevas"
For the hospitalera at Ventosa who allowed the poor, crying pilgrim girl to shower when the albergue was "completo" then directed her to a beautiful churchyard where she could sleep under the stars
For my one night in the PARADOR in Sto. Domingo del Calzada when I was sick and freezing after walking in the rain
For... ripe figs!
For Marina, the hospitalera who took over at San Anton after the regular hospitalero was killed in a train crash, and who was so warm and welcoming
For Andreas and Frederika, who when the local albergue had chinchas, picked us up at the Bar Sevilla, cooked for us, and gave us my first night in a straw-filled bed!
For hospitalera Luisa at Ligonde, who laughedwith me as she tried to teach me Gallego
For the icy-cold, healing waters at Ribadiso
For the time I got on the wrong train to Leon and ended up on a train to VIGO instead! It was a wonderful adventure!
For the hospitalero at the convent in Leon who let me in at 10 pm even though the doors were locked and the albergue was closed!
For Rebecca, who let me come stay for a few days when I was sick and weary
For the French couple who picked me up in their VW van the day I tried walking to the Monastery and didn't make it. They gave me bread and water and took me to the main road. They saved me.
For Andrew, the American man who I loaned money to on the Aragones Route. He found me later at the albergue in Los Arcos on the Camino Frances and paid me. Everyone told me to kiss that money goodbye but I knew he'd come through!
For the hospitalero at Tosantos, who took us up to the Ermita in the cliffs
For the peregrino who gave me a blissful footrub that night in Tosantos - for free
For the neighbor who lives near the albergue in Guriezo who walked us to the albergue and let us in
For Ernesto at Guemes "who was born there, lives there, and will die there" and his family, who fed us, housed us, and loved us.
I could go on and on and on...

My journey on Camino Frances does not begin until September, but I am grateful for many very good friends here. Thank you, especially, to my kindhearted women's group--Pattii, AnnieSantiago, Edith, to name just a few. Also, though, the strength and support of many goodhearted men who have walked (metaphorically and literally) beside many of the women, in solidarity and empathy.

Thank you all so much for sharing your wonderful stories!
They are so very uplifting, and go far to restore our faith in humanity and shine light during short periods of darkness.
I love Spain and the Spanish people.
And I love the Camino.

Please don't let this thread die out.
Please continue to share...
and again, Gracias!

Someone mentioned Tomas!
Yes! For his bell that brings the pilgrims in from the fog and rain to enjoy hot coffee and biscuits.
For his quiet wisdom when he offered the shoeless, silent man a bed after the rest of us had judged the man wrongly.
For the peregina who gave me a piece of chocolate when I crying in pain on the way down to Roncesvalles on my first Camino.
For the woodcarver, Antonio Duran, who invited us in to his little casa and fed us iced cold Gazpacho on the Via de la Plata.
For the firemen who went into town and brought us back water on the Via de la Plata!
For the priest at Viana parochial who invited us into the basement to see the church treasures
For the peregrino priest at Rabanal who led Mass in the back yard when the church was closed
For the pharmacist who washed, doctored, and wrapped Joe's leg and charged only 6 euros for the medicine
For the 3-person albergue at Uterga where we spent a fun night with one Mexican Peregrina named Jessica
For the beautiful local choir who woke us up at dawn in Viana singing "Aurora a La Virgen de Cuevas"
For the hospitalera at Ventosa who allowed the poor, crying pilgrim girl to shower when the albergue was "completo" then directed her to a beautiful churchyard where she could sleep under the stars
For my one night in the PARADOR in Sto. Domingo del Calzada when I was sick and freezing after walking in the rain
For... ripe figs!
For Marina, the hospitalera who took over at San Anton after the regular hospitalero was killed in a train crash, and who was so warm and welcoming
For Andreas and Frederika, who when the local albergue had chinchas, picked us up at the Bar Sevilla, cooked for us, and gave us my first night in a straw-filled bed!
For hospitalera Luisa at Ligonde, who laughedwith me as she tried to teach me Gallego
For the icy-cold, healing waters at Ribadiso
For the time I got on the wrong train to Leon and ended up on a train to VIGO instead! It was a wonderful adventure!
For the hospitalero at the convent in Leon who let me in at 10 pm even though the doors were locked and the albergue was closed!
For Rebecca, who let me come stay for a few days when I was sick and weary
For the French couple who picked me up in their VW van the day I tried walking to the Monastery and didn't make it. They gave me bread and water and took me to the main road. They saved me.
For Andrew, the American man who I loaned money to on the Aragones Route. He found me later at the albergue in Los Arcos on the Camino Frances and paid me. Everyone told me to kiss that money goodbye but I knew he'd come through!
For the hospitalero at Tosantos, who took us up to the Ermita in the cliffs
For the peregrino who gave me a blissful footrub that night in Tosantos - for free
For the neighbor who lives near the albergue in Guriezo who walked us to the albergue and let us in
For Ernesto at Guemes "who was born there, lives there, and will die there" and his family, who fed us, housed us, and loved us.
I could go on and on and on...

Beautiful writing.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I too found the Camino full of angels and love.... I am thankful for:
  • A pilgrim who walked a full day back to help his hurt friend and carry his pack
  • A lovely pilgrim from Sweden who tenderly treated by blisters. As my foot rested in her lap, I sobbed at the great kindness of humanity
  • My new Camino friends who cheered me on when I didn't think I could take another step... and if they got ahead of me, they were always waiting for me at the next village
  • The pilgrim who stayed back for three days while their friend healed from the flu
  • Walking with pilgrims for small moments, asking about their story and just...listening
  • The hospitalaro, at the alburgue in Boadilla del Caomino where I stopped for a break, who saw the pain in my eyes, just stood there and hugged me (PS. He was HOT too! :))
  • The American Pilgrim I crossed paths with who spoke fluent Spanish... he helped me buy new shoes and I helped him buy duct tape (Cintas Americana)
  • The volunteers who, in the middle of nowhere, put up a snack stand and offer snacks and refreshments
  • The locals and farmers who set out fruits of their harvest (if you walk in October the grapes and figs are to die for!)
  • The Shepherd who, while herding his flock, would stop, smile and say, "Buen Camino," Those little moments meant the world to me
  • The pilgrims who share all their supplies (food, water, first aid...)
  • The pilgrim who didn't hesitate and gave away her flip flops to the gal who's feet were littered with blisters
  • The priest that gave us a blessing in a local bar
  • The "Elvis bar" in Reliegos. We ADORED the owner, loved the juke box and music. Best place to chill on the Camino!
  • The STUNNING Spanish scenery
  • The soundtrack from the movie, 'The Way'... it motivated me and carried me through. I went on a seven mile walk today at home and the beautiful feelings of the Camino came flooding back.
  • ... and of course vino tinto!
Join me in remembering my walk at http://caminoconcierge.com

Last edited:
There were many words and acts of kindness from random strangers and future friends, but one of the most special moments for me was the German Shepherd dog that herded me about a mile back to the Camino after I missed a turn and mistakenly continued down a farm track.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't walk until September but am so looking forward to experiencing and sharing my own Camino Angel stories! Thank you Annie for starting this thread. Love and hugs to all of you. Buen Camino!

Me too Annie! Thank you for starting this wonderful thread.

For me the whole camino was a wonder and a truly beautiful experience,so much so that I am having to go again this September and I now understand why people are drawn to return.

There is such a special feeling that you get when you are part of the camino community and you can feel it here on this forum. Pilgrims actually care about and care for each other and even show love for one another! I wish real life were more like the camino.

Buen camino Perigrinos everywhere!
Sarah

I walked CF 2 years ago and had a very interesting, positive and almost supernatural experience. I was in a terrible shape. I never walked more than a mile in the 10 years before my trip. I was not a hiker either. I packed my bag the day before and decided to take my comfy walking shoes that I'd typically wear strolling around my hometown. A week into my camino, the padding in the shoes dwindled and I felt like I was walking barefoot because I felt every single pebble. Making a step was a gruelling task. So, I remember one painful morning where I was walking on a long hill. There was a road on one side and a fence littered with pilgrim crosses on the other. I remember looking to the side and seeing these crosses made me weep like an adolescent girl. I didn't even know why I was crying. Something just came over me. However, as soon as I got to the top of that hill the pain was gone and never returned! I remember thinking about buying new shoes on the way but by then the pair I was wearing, albeit not comfortable, became a part of me. I finished the camino and should've probably put those poor things on my wall to commemorate the achievement :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
All of the little old men and women along the way who would yell out to us if we took a wrong turn.

The patient spaniards who weren't insulted by our butchering of their language in their country. And the patient French who were patient with our slightly better French but still not conversational.

The people in the farmacia's who would be there to help with any troubles....and were able to interpret our games of charades when describing our problems. Try that with vomiting and diarrhea! It makes for a funny situation.

The guy who runs the albergue who grows a little garden for the pilgrims - and gives them fresh eggs from his hens.
The hospitalera who opened the closed albergue for us and gave us fresh cookies.
The hospitalera who came running to find us to ensure we got a stamp in our credenciales as a memento of her town, even if we were only stopping to buy food.
The bar owner who didn't sell hot food, but poured hot water on my noodles so we'd have something hot to eat anyway.

And many, many others, this is just from this year...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you for this beautiful thread.
# arriving in a small village on the meseta, no bar, freezing cold and badly blistered feet, we shuffled to a supermacado to buy crackers and tinned sardines for dinner as I was too exhausted to possibly cook anything. Arriving back at the albergue, I was ready to call it quits. Walking way too many k's a day in boots that were too heavy made me miserable. I was dirty, cold and hungry and on the verge of tears. With exhaustion we shuffled into the kitchen where the aromas were divine. A group of pilgrims called out that they had made way too much minestrone soup and could we please do them the favour of sharing it with them! No meal on the camino tasted so good. The warmth, generosity and genuine compassion were all gratefully received. I was restored spiritually and physically. When people ask me if I found Christ on the camino, I tell them that story.
# to the waitress who acted out the animals on the menu, we still laugh.

Last edited:

What a Camino ANGEL!
My girlfriend lost all 10 of her toenails. We were in SanSol and behind the bar on the Camino. She elevated her feet and we had a cold drink. She said that she might have to go home. Two pilgrims from Denmark (who we had met the night before) happened to stop at the same bar and we found out that one was a Podiatrist and the other an RN ! They bandaged her feet and left us with additional bandages ! Two Camino Angels ! How they found us, I do not know. since they could not see us from the Way. Blind luck ..... I think not!

I was having a particularly bad day of pain and rain and blisters (week two into my six weeks) and that day I had to stop every kilometer to get the stones out of my shoes. An Australian Angel I had never met before nor ever saw again gave me his gaitors. I thanked him every single day for the next four weeks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Two years ago, my wife and I walked the Frances. The night before departure from SJPdP we scouted out the exit. At that time in March the Napoleon was closed. The morning we left the darkness made it difficult to determine which was the Napoleon and which was the Valcarlos. As we got on the Napoleon exit a fellow pilgrim called out and informed us we were headed for the Napoleon. He then redirected us to the Valcarlos. Two days after our departure a Brazilian pilgrim took the Napoleon and fell to his death. We thank Walter for his redirection.

On my first camino in 2005 I was walking through a wood and on the way out of it I saw this man standing there waiting for me. No other peregrinos to protect me I was a bit worried, but walked on and when I reached him it was an old man who told me to go to secunda bar. So I did, ignored the crowd of pilgrims at the first bar, and went to Tia Dolores at the end of town. I have been there severeal times since, yesterday the old couple was not there anymore, seemed that a younger generation has taken over. But I have followed the advice from the old man eversince, I try to find the second bar.

On my way out of Portugalete two years ago I lost the camino even though I had checked the route the day before. I stopped at a bar and asked there where I could find the camino. Then an old man insisted on taking me to the camino.
So off we went, km after km, at least 5 km before we met the camino and after that he walked with me to the next pueblo. I could of course have been worried, but I knew I could knock him down if he did not behave well, my only worry was whether his heart could manage all this walking, but it did and he got a big hug before leaving.

Last edited:
On my first camino in 2005 I was walking through a wood and on the way out of it I saw this man standing there waiting for me. No other peregrinos to protect me I was a bit worried, but walked on and when I reached him it was an old man who told me to go to secunda bar. So I did, ignored the crowd of pilgrims at the first bar, and went to Tia Dolores at the end of town. I have been there severeal times since, yesterday the old couple was not there anymore, seemed that a younger generation has taken over. But I have followed the advice from the old man eversince, I try to find the second bar.
On my way out of Portugalete two years ago I lost the camino even though I had checked the route the day before. I stopped at a bar and asked there where I could find the camino. Then an old man insisted on taking me to the camino.
So off we went, km after km, at least 5 km before we met the camino and after that he walked with me to the next pueblo. I could of course have been worried, but I knew I could knock him down if he did not behave well, my only worry was weather his heart could manage all this walking, but it did and he got a big hug before leaving.
I want to be that man. Everyday.
I hope I am. But it's not up to me to say.
:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

What a Camino ANGEL!
Annie, I'm so pleased you started this post! A great idea!

Ah, so many positives to share wouldn't know where to start and end! But I think my top one is the Spanish woman who gave me her glasses after I broke mine and missed an arrow. She never laid eyes on me. Two younger Spanish people pointed me in the right direction, I told them I broke and lost my glasses - laughing about it. Thought I'd get an over the counter pair at next real town. I went on my way, they caught up with their mother's glasses. She wondered if we might have the same script. She gave me eyes to see. Kindness everywhere! And to the Frenchman who gave his bed to me when there were no more left - love you!

What a Camino ANGEL![/

My brother offered to pay for a hotel room for one night anywhere in Spain if I managed to complete my first Camino in 2008. Well I did complete it and true to his word he covered the costs including room, meals, minibar and night club expenses.
The hotel was located in Plaza Santa Ana in Madrid where I went to rest up before flying back home.
It is interesting to note that I spent 5 days in Madrid that year. All nights save the last were spent at the home of a peregrina who I had met in Burgos and walked with until Leon. Her invitation and trust was such a gift!
So to my brother Dave and my friend Mercedes thank you for enhancing my Camino both on and off the trails.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Don't know what happened to my post but it disappeared...so here it is again.
My brother offered to pay for a hotel room for one night anywhere in Spain if I managed to complete my first Camino in 2008. Well I did complete it and true to his word he covered the costs including room, meals, minibar and night club expenses.
The hotel was located in Plaza Santa Ana in Madrid where I went to rest up before flying back home.
It is interesting to note that I spent 5 days in Madrid that year. All nights save the last were spent at the home of a peregrina who I had met in Burgos and walked with until Leon. Her invitation and trust was such a gift!
So to my brother Dave and my friend Mercedes thank you for enhancing my Camino both on and off the trails.

What a wonderful thread :)

I had a lot of good things happen to me, and also saw good things done to others. Could fill a book with it! The Camino is indeed a special place and can help restore your faith in humanity a bit (it can be ugly, too, but I think the positive is predominant), and it's important to remember the positive things that happen on the way.

One of the things I will always remember is how I forgot something in the albergue in Léon, an item that wasn't worth much, but very dear to me (a gift from a family member). By the time I noticed, it was too late to go back.

Someone I had met before but who then was behind me found it, recognized it was mine and remembered how I had mentioned it was a gift from my family. Said person then carried the damn thing all the way, just in case we might meet again – which we did, on the way to/from the Cape in Finisterre! Thanks again, if that person ever reads these lines, I'll never forget that :)

But often it is just the very small things that make a huge difference – people being kind exactly the moment when you need it: pointing to the right direction when you're lost, honking a car's horn to cheer you up while you're walking along the highway, or even simply someone giving a smile. Sometimes just giving a smile to a stranger can be worth so much. I think that is something we often forget, but which can be easily done in everyday life, not only the Camino.

Thanks to all the good people out there!

I walked the Camino Frances in the fall of 2013 and met my soul mate. She lives in another country, we had a totally platonic relationship, and has most likely forgotten me by now. Not a day goes by where she is not in my heart and my thoughts. I am so appreciative to have had the short time with her and wish this could be re-created. Sadly, probably not. I will carry our moments together forever.........
Odd how life works.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good things aplenty:
  • As a regular hiker, I never get blisters. So I was ill-prepared when I started developing blisters on my third day. Acts of kindness from Italian pilgrim Leah who gave me one of her Compeed plasters; Londoner Sid gave me an anti-septic wipe; a non-English speaking albergue room-mate saw me limping and offered me his Compeed foot cream.
  • Texan Ginny for letting me use her iPhone charger after my adaptor broke.
  • Walking into a bar for a mid-morning cafe-con-leche pick-me-up, I placed my order with the owner lady and saw some cakes on the counter. Returning from a bathroom visit to collect my coffee, there was a plate beside it with not one but TWO pieces of cakes on it.
  • As I walked towards and stopped at the Leon/Galicia border stone plaque, a pilgrim was taking photos for another couple posing at the plaque. After the couple left, the pilgrim made a gesture to ask if I would like my photo to be taken too. I was undecided but went for it. I don't know why, but I was moved by his kindness.
  • My first buen camino greeting from a local while walking through Leon suburb.
  • Being offered more bread during breakfast.
  • Albergue owners who go the extra mile: making me feel at home, feeding delicious nutritious food prepared with love.

The proprietress of the café where we had had breakfast, who called out to us a few hours later as we were leaving SJPP, to return the poles that I had left in her café earlier that morning. I hadn't realized I had left them there.

The two young children riding in the back of their parents' car who, brimming over with excitement, gave us the most enthusiastic thumbs up when they passed us while we were trudging up [the N-135 en route to Roncesvalles] in a blinding snowstorm.

Last edited:
My Camino from Sarria to SDC was 13 days. Every day I experienced the kindness of pilgrims and locals. I was especially moved by the elderly walking in their neighborhood. Everyone of them started conversations asking where I was from, and always ended with Buen Camino. I always left them with misty eyes when I responded Vaya con Dios. One of the many wonderful memories of my Camino.

Here is my good news story.
In 2013 when I walked the Camino for the first time, I end up in hospital at Santiago for 8 days, whilst I was there after a couple of days I was put into a ward and on my first day in the ward a gentleman in the room was visited by his two granddaughters and as they could speak some English we were able to chat and one was a school teacher like y son. When they left 10 minutes later they came back and had a box which they presented to me, in it was a pair of slippers as they noticed I did not have anything to wear. To this day I have the slippers and wear them when my feet get cold or to remember the warmth and love I found on the Camino. Went back to the hospital in 2014 after walking the Camino again to thank the doctors and nurses, will be back in 2016.

Great thread. There are many acts of kindness along the Camino - too many to mention, but it is wonderful to read the stories.
I have just finished Camino Frances in May and arriving in the old town of Santiago a local lady stopped her conversation with a friend to say 'welcome to Santiago' before continuing with her chat. She may do that countless times but it felt special and brought tears to my (already emotional) eyes.

Terry who I met on the ferry from Plymouth to Santander, it was going to be my 1st Camino but I was very nervous and had talked myself out of doing it, I could only see the negatives.. He spotted me and talked me around, he gave me a scallop shell, which to be truthfull the idea of sticking one on my bag I had dismissed as a bit naff but it became a proud part of my Camino and subsequent ones. He had just retired and was walking a Camino to celebrate, he was a bit of a rascal and had me blushing several times when walking with him that 1st week but people warmed to him because he genuinely liked everyone. At the end of the 1st week I had got the Camino bug and wanted to find my own pace and rhythm so we went our own ways but it was his kindness that totally altered my life for the better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I need this. I know I am not the only person walking the Camino who is looking for the return of Goodness and Kindess in humanity. I begin my walk August 3, 2015 in SJPP, and I believe all the blessings I seek will be there, waiting for me, perfected in the practice of daily life by the generous Spaniards and French citizens that will line my way. All of your stories convince me I am doing the right thing walking the Camino. I hope I will be a blessing to others too, as I receive so too I will give. Buen Camino fellow Perigrinos!

It was the simplest of gestures that made a bad day so memorable it still brings a smile every time I retell the story.
If you have done the road into Burgos via the airport you know it is not the highlight of the Camino and on that day for me it was hard going. Wearing both an ankle and knee brace for injuries plus a new heel blister I must have looked a bit p'ed with myself waiting for the lights to change at an intersection. Without breaking his stride a elderly gentleman walking across the road put his hand on my arm said some words in Spanish and smiled and then he was gone. It was so unexpected and warm it made it all worthwhile.

I also want to mention a kindness done by my friend, Joe. We were walking the steep slippery downhill into Roncesvalles when we came upon a Portuguese couple. The wife was having a very difficult time making it down the hill. I mention they were Portuguese because I'm Portuguese and though I am not fluent, I understood that she was really afraid of falling and was exhausted. I told Joe, and he asked her for her pack, which was really heavy and overweight. Joe put her pack on the front of his body and carried both packs all the way to Roncesvalles. What a guy!

IMG_1515 copy.jpg IMG_1516 copy.jpg

Thanks for this thread, Annie. Here's three from our Camino (Francés) in 2013:

Christina, the pharmacist at Grañon, and her husband, Gustavo. My wife broke her tooth eating a piece of hard candy, so we stopped at the farmacía to ask if they could call ahead to see if there was a dentist available in one of the towns ahead. Not finding one, they made an appointment for us with their personal dentist back in Santo Domingo de Calzada for the next morning. Then Gustavo drove us there, escorted us into the dentist and explained in Spanish what Jeanette's problem was. He then waited for us while the dentist repaired her tooth and drove us back to Grañon, where we were back on the Camino after a quick lunch at the little tienda by the square. We only lost a half day of walking, which, by the way, meant we stayed that night at the wonderful Refugio Acacio y Orietta in Viloria de la Rioja which we otherwise would have passed right by.

Eduardo, the Portugese pilgrim in Santiago, who upon hearing of the loss of our backpacks, including our credentials with all our sellos for the entire Camino, insisted that we take his credential. It was, he said, a gift from his heart.

Johnnie Walker and the volunteers from the Amigos del Camino, who miraculously recovered our stolen backpacks from the police station in Santiago, washed and dried all our clothing, repacked everything, and shipped it all to us in the U.S. after our return home. (BTW, we did sent Eduardo's credential back to him after ours were recovered -- thank you again, Eduardo.)

If anyone doesn't believe in angels on the Camino, how can they doubt it after experiences like this?

I need this. I know I am not the only person walking the Camino who is looking for the return of Goodness and Kindess in humanity. I begin my walk August 3, 2015 in SJPP, and I believe all the blessings I seek will be there, waiting for me, perfected in the practice of daily life by the generous Spaniards and French citizens that will line my way. All of your stories convince me I am doing the right thing walking the Camino. I hope I will be a blessing to others too, as I receive so too I will give. Buen Camino fellow Perigrinos!
You will find an abundance goodness and kindness on the camino. As for you being a blessing for others...absolutely! Especially with your wickedly funny sense of humor. I am sure you will brighten many a peregrinos day...i have really enjoyed your posts;)!

You will find an abundance goodness and kindness on the camino. As for you being a blessing for others...absolutely! Especially with your wickedly funny sense of humor. I am sure you will brighten many a peregrinos day...i have really enjoyed your posts;)!
Thank you LauraK. Your $5 is in the mail. Oh, I wasn't supposed to say that! Everyone else ignore this. You never read this. (it's in the mail LauraK)

Me too Coleen, I love your posts, I wish I could scoot my Camino forward 6 weeks so that I could walk with you. You remind me of some lovely ladies I met last year from NZ, very funny though they were much older than you. Elisabeth, the grumpy one (only occasionally) was very proud to tell everyone she was 79 and ashamed of her younger sister who just sat around at home just knitting! She had done some epic walks and was much faster than me.
You will meet some wonderful, kind, caring, amazing people but you may be their 'angel' with your gift for brightening everyone's day.
Buen Camino
Sarah

Me too Coleen, I love your posts, I wish I could scoot my Camino forward 6 weeks so that I could walk with you. You remind me of some lovely ladies I met last year from NZ, very funny though they were much older than you. Elisabeth, the grumpy one (only occasionally) was very proud to tell everyone she was 79 and ashamed of her younger sister who just sat around at home just knitting! She had done some epic walks and was much faster than me.
You will meet some wonderful, kind, caring, amazing people but you may be their 'angel' with your gift for brightening everyone's day.
Buen Camino
Sarah
Phah! 6 weeks! I'll still be in Pamplona. We have a good chance of meeting. Told you I was a slow walker. I love the blessings and wonders everyone is writing about in this thread. My little sister Fay lived for six months after being diagnosed with stage 4 gastric cancer, and we did something fun every day for that six months. We left the house in the morning and the fun thing would find us! Never anything planned. If we continue making plans for our own enjoyment, the World has no way of surprising us with anything special. When we allow ourselves to be "dependent on the kindness of strangers" (Streetcar Named Desire) it gives other people the chance to step up, reach out, and show generosity in the way it should be shown, as a genuine voluntary and humble gift. The Warning threads will keep me alert, but this thread reminds me why I am walking at all.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Phah! 6 weeks! I'll still be in Pamplona. We have a good chance of meeting. Told you I was a slow walker. I love the blessings and wonders everyone is writing about in this thread. My little sister Fay lived for six months after being diagnosed with stage 4 gastric cancer, and we did something fun every day for that six months. We left the house in the morning and the fun thing would find us! Never anything planned. If we continue making plans for our own enjoyment, the World has no way of surprising us with anything special. When we allow ourselves to be "dependent on the kindness of strangers" (Streetcar Named Desire) it gives other people the chance to step up, reach out, and show generosity in the way it should be shown, as a genuine voluntary and humble gift. The Warning threads will keep me alert, but this thread reminds me why I am walking at all.

'I had the time of my life' (Dirty Dancing) so much so that I'm drawn back a third time. Glad you had fun with your sister but sorry you lost her.
I'm a nurse and the things I face every day make me profoundly grateful for the ability to take part in the Camino.
They say the 'camino provides' .......... whatever you need, not necessarily what you want or what you may choose. It provided me with an amazing experience and restored my faith in human nature, I said before, I wish real life were more like the camino.
Sarah

@Anniesantiago this is the best how to-and how not to- be a great Hospitalero manual! I will take all of the good with me when I volunteer in Léon in August 2016.

How have I missed this thread? This is wonderful!
I have experienced or seen or heard about so many small kindnesses on the Camino that meant so much. Peregrinos who gathered money to pay for a room for someone who needed some privacy and a good sleep for a night. Sharing food with young people who couldn't afford a dinner. Aranxa in Gernika who drove me to the hospital after I fell down the stairs and who stayed with me holding my hand throughout the visit. Then she called her sweet cousin - a cabbie - who drove me to Bilbao and fixed me up with a rental car ( an automatic) and carried me and all of my things to the car. The hospitalera who drove to the next town and fetched my pack when I was just too tired to walk on. (And went to her own home and got salve for another peregrino's sun burn.) My son who became the blister treater for everyone. There are just so many!

€46,-
A great taxi driver got me to the bus station in Ponferrada and helped me buy tickets, when I was so exhausted from days of cold I could barely function...he expected nothing and was very kind.

A man selling pens at that bus station, using Canadian (wrap-around) crutches, reminded me that I was so fortunate. I bought two pens after watching many people refuse him. He wasn't begging. He was working. I learned something from him.

A really nice Greek guy gave me two gifts in Astorga, the most special one a wooden beaded cross necklace. We are still friends, and have been in touch since our mutual returns from Spain.

I had some many kindnesses on my March trip, and I am grateful again for the wonderful hospitality of the people of Spain, and many wonderful pilgrims.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back