• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Granada or Cordoba

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
If I only had one day "spare" to stay in a city, which one should it be? At this stage my thinking is it's a short day in to Granada (16,8km) and an even shorter one out (10,4), but longer for Cordoba (25,7 and 17,9), so the day should go to Cordoba. Of course I'll make up my mind when I'm on the ground, but I'd hate to take it at a Granada and wish I'd saved it! At this stage I mostly want to see La Alhambra (yes, I'll organise a ticket beforehand) and La Mezquita.....I prefer to take my time and not rush through a thousand things in one day, but is there anything else I absolutely mustn't miss on this walk through these cities?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hhmmm. This may be controversial but, as long as you will also see the Alhambra in Granadà, and given the in / out kms you are planning, I’d say give the spare day to Cordoba. I found it very relaxing to tootle around. It’s smaller, more accessible and quite charming. And, of course, the Mezquita. Wow. 😎

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Gosh, just saw both this past spring and I’d choose whichever provides you the best rest day per your overall schedule. Alhambra is a full day affair and the city has many other sites (churches, streets, Gypsy flamenco caves, etc) to see that an extra day would be very useful. Cordoba is easily seen in a day, but I liked the smaller feel better.

Nice website from the Tourism Office.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first time we visited Granada and the Alhambra we were overwhelmed- palace, fortress, gardens---. We were walking towards the top up some stairs as a group was going down the stairs. Overheard- "If you've seen one, you've seen them all". Yes, that is true- there is only one Alhambra- we still chuckle over that remark! I love Cordoba too, but if the weather is fine I'd choose Granada.

Alhambra in Granada is a must! I also loved the Alcaicería Bazaar and all the pomegranates everywhere, light fixtures on the sides of buildings and designs in the cobblestones!! Cordoba is gorgeous as well and Mezquita-Catedral de Córdoba is worth visiting.

I would honestly book a day in each. There is so much to see in both cities.

Alhambra in Granada is a must! I also loved the Alcaicería Bazaar and all the pomegranates everywhere, light fixtures on the sides of buildings and designs in the cobblestones!! Cordoba is gorgeous as well and Mezquita-Catedral de Córdoba is worth visiting.

I would honestly book a day in each. There is so much to see in both cities.
the Mezquita offers an opportunity for understanding. The Alhambra is just spectacle: bread and circuses. The “mother-in-laws”palace on the opposing hill offers some humour. The ultimate tower is a few centimeters higher

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don’t understand the maths in your question, but with one day I’d go to Cordoba. First time I visited I found the mezquita impressive and its history enlightening. There’s an old synagogue nearby which would allow you some understanding of how the three abrahamic religions interacted back in the day.

I’ve also been there under duress when Mrs HtD and I were struck with ‘flu - the real ‘flu, not a bad cold - and holed up in a hotel right opposite the mezquita for four days. As I couldn’t walk more than a few hundred yards I think I now know the mezquita’s floor plan as well as the architect.

For a longer visit I’d much prefer Granada over Cordoba.

In Córdoba the Museum of the Inquisition is a real eye opener. Gave my husband bad dreams that night. Of course if you're wanting to rest it might be counterproductive.

I'd take the rest day in Granada and just extend your stage a bit the next day. Relatively easy 33km to Moclín from Granada. I started in Granada last March. Very much enjoyed the Generalife and other areas of the Alhambra, but ended up being disappointed in the throngs of selfie takers in the palace itself. Big change from when I was last there in 2004. I'd also recommend taking some time to enjoy the Albaicín.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
the Mezquita offers an opportunity for understanding. The Alhambra is just spectacle: bread and circuses. The “mother-in-laws" palace on the opposing hill offers some humour. The ultimate tower is a few centimeters higher
My perspective is different. The Alhambra is one of the ultimate expressions of Muslim thought and way of being. Observed from the exterior it is a simplistic, drab-colored building with little architectural quality to capture the interest of observers. However, after passing through the front door the heart of the Muslim is truly seen in splendor. If my objective is to demonstrate Muslim culture, then the first place I would recommend is the Alhambra. If I wanted to demonstrate the evolution of different cultures in a region, then I would recommend the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption of Cordoba or the Mezquita of previous history.
Knowledge and understanding are very much received from both significantly important historical monuments.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I haven’t been to Cordoba so can’t compare.
However the Alhambra was one of the absolute highlights of my last Camino.
As with many of these things a good guide can be the difference between and ok or exceptional experience.
Our guide was a long time native of Granada - I fantasised that she may even been a descendant of the original Moors - and incredibly well informed. She bought this beautiful place to life.
It still lives in my heart.

I liked Cordoba but I LOVE Granada. I’ve visited many times and it always feels new. One of my favorite places on the planet.😍

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
the Mezquita offers an opportunity for understanding. The Alhambra is just spectacle: bread and circuses. The “mother-in-laws”palace on the opposing hill offers some humour. The ultimate tower is a few centimeters higher
Couldn't disagree more about the Alhambra. Just because many members of the
the tour groups view it through their cameras doesn't mean it is trivial or meaningless. It is a carefully designed "machine" with a purpose based on energy flow. Unfortunately the most important part is rarely open to the public. I have only been able to visit it once when the lions were stored there during the restoration of the fountain.

It is a carefully designed "machine" with a purpose based on energy flow.

Love this description - thank you ❤️ - certainly captures some of my experience. But then I seem to be attracted to anything Moorish in Spain - past life or something. 😉
But I can understand that the Alhambra might not grab everyone the same as it did me.

My vote goes for Cordoba in line with above view!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yeah. Sometimes it just takes a bit of ‘workshopping’ to decide. Great that you can add another day. Love the Mozarabe. 😍

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back