• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hands up! Where are forum members from?

What is you normal place of residence?

• Australia and New Zealand

Votes: 72 18.2%
  • British Isles and Europe

Votes: 128 32.3%
  • North America

Votes: 187 47.2%
  • Other

Votes: 9 2.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
Note: Please answer the question using the poll feature at the top of the thread, where you click on a button to indicate your answer. If you just add a post below, stating your answer, it will not be counted.

We haven't had a poll for awhile! There was some discussion on another thread about where most of the currently active forum members are from. I thought a simple poll would give us a rough idea. Each member can cast only one "vote" and the answers are anonymous.

I am asking for residence rather than origin. And I've used the word "normally" without defining it. Let's not debate the wording of the question or the answers. :)

I'll leave the poll open for enough time to cover all time zones equally.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As a percentage of population Ireland would top the list.
As a Brit I find the number of pilgrims from Ireland on the Caminos quite extraordinary. Last year the pilgrim office recorded 8,241 pilgrims from the UK and 6,671 from Ireland. Not so far apart in numbers. But by population the UK is thirteen times larger than Ireland!

As a Brit I find the number of pilgrims from Ireland on the Caminos quite extraordinary. Last year the pilgrim office recorded 8,241 pilgrims from the UK and 6,671 from Ireland. Not so far apart in numbers. But by population the UK is thirteen times larger than Ireland!
Stab in the dark… Ireland a lot more religious country than UK? Think Ireland has slightly younger demographic?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Stab in the dark… Ireland a lot more religious country than UK? Think Ireland has slightly younger demographic?
Certainly true historically and church attendance is still significantly higher in Ireland than in the UK. And it has been a predominantly Catholic country and the cultural and historical influence of the Catholic church remains strong. So I'm not surprised that Irish pilgrims are a significant feature on the Caminos. I do find the sheer scale of the difference in numbers between the UK and Ireland remarkable though. Especially as so many of those walking the Caminos now have no particular personal religious affiliation or interest,

Certainly true historically and church attendance is still significantly higher in Ireland than in the UK. And it has been a predominantly Catholic country and the cultural and historical influence of the Catholic church remains strong. So I'm not surprised that Irish pilgrims are a significant feature on the Caminos. I do find the sheer scale of the difference in numbers between the UK and Ireland remarkable though. Especially as so many of those walking the Caminos now have no particular personal religious affiliation or interest,
Yes 100% agree!! It is quite remarkable.

Originally NT Australia, now living in the UK.

My maternal grandparents from QLD walked the Camino multiple times in 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s starting in their mid 40s. I think they did all 12 routes plus some other European pilgrimages like Knock and Via Frances.

As a disabled pilgrim, I have walked the Portuguese, driven the Celtic and am planning to go via my adapted e-tricycle on the various UK Camino routes in 2024 in preparation for the Northern Lowlands/France route via Paris to Frances route in 2025. Want to celebrate the reopening of Notre Dame.

You meet all sorts and all reasons on the Camino. But you do the camino your way.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I get that it's a rough pole, but there are members living Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc. Fyi I'm in Indonesia.
I get that, and we enjoy seeing those locations in the member profiles. However, I was curious to check the validity of some impressions that have occasionally been expressed by forum members - Is the forum overwhelmingly dominated, on a day-to-day basis, by North Americans?

So far, the answer seems to be that the North Americans are the largest contributors, but it is certainly not overwhelming. That shouldn't be a surprise, given the populations of the major English-speaking countries in the world..

why not all the continents?
Yes, one might call it laziness on my part. I was aware that I would run into difficulties in defining the continents (e.g. What is North America, What is Asia? Do I include Antarctica?) I am rather particular about that sort of thing and I knew I would get it wrong, whatever I did! So, I took the easy way out and had a category for "Other." :) That seemed to serve the purpose of my poll. Now @ivar's statistics are great and they fill in some details.

I have added some instructions to the OP, as I realize that some people may not be aware of how the polls work on the forum. The possible answers to the question are at the top of the first post. If you want your answer to be counted in the statistics of this poll, you need to click on the button beside the appropriate answer.

Also, it is nice when members put their location (at least in general terms) into their profile.

The following responses won't be counted unless the members also click on the poll at the top.
German by birth but living in the far North of Sweden now
"British Isles"
North America.
Long Beach, California
North America- Montreal, Quebec Canada
California, USA,
North America (Canada)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I get that, and we enjoy seeing those locations in the member profiles. However, I was curious to check the validity of some impressions that have occasionally been expressed by forum members - Is the forum overwhelmingly dominated, on a day-to-day basis, by North Americans?

So far, the answer seems to be that the North Americans are the largest contributors, but it is certainly not overwhelming. That shouldn't be a surprise, given the populations of the major English-speaking countries in the world..

Yes, one might call it laziness on my part. I was aware that I would run into difficulties in defining the continents (e.g. What is North America, What is Asia? Do I include Antarctica?) I am rather particular about that sort of thing and I knew I would get it wrong, whatever I did! So, I took the easy way out and had a category for "Other." :) That seemed to serve the purpose of my poll. Now @ivar's statistics are great and they fill in some details.
Not that I am suggesting anyone does it, as it is taking a bit of fun far too seriously, but I guess for me the question. ‘Is the forum NA dominated’ is more about posts rather than posters. NA posters seem rather more prolific than others. No harm or surprise in that. I guess folks from that region have more to organise, have a much bigger population, and I am sure that are a myriad of other reasons too. So for example, as a very frequent visitor to USA, religion is far more openly discussed than, and on TV than in Europe, so that a topic I think that is another, albeit minor factor, in maybe conversations here. Plenty more too. Very interesting tho and thank you for setting up the poll!

Last edited:
‘Is the forum NA dominated’ is more about posts rather than posters.
Yes, I thought about that, and wondered if certain groups are more voluble than others! I found a thread that would appeal to a very broad range of members, and that had over 100 posts, and I started to count the individual posts. It got messy as I had to decide how to count multiple posts by the same person (I did count them), whether to count the OP's replies as well (I did), and some people's locations were unknown. Anyway, my very rough count halfway through a single thread of 130-ish posts was not much different from the results we are seeing here - something like 55% North American, 20% Europe/UK, and 25% Other. The "Other" included the unknowns, so it was higher.

Yes, I thought about that, and wondered if certain groups are more voluble than others! I found a thread that would appeal to a very broad range of members, and that had over 100 posts, and I started to count the individual posts. It got messy as I had to decide how to count multiple posts by the same person (I did count them), whether to count the OP's replies as well (I did), and some people's locations were unknown. Anyway, my very rough count halfway through a single thread of 130-ish posts was not much different from the results we are seeing here - something like 55% North American, 20% Europe/UK, and 25% Other. The "Other" included the unknowns, so it was higher.
Thank you! That’s good if there is similarity across the data. I only engage in certain topics, mainly travel, financial, insurance and a few others, as I don’t have the knowledge to get involved in many others (albergues, history) or the desire on a relative few topics (snoring, bedbugs) so maybe my ‘feel’ is very narrow, and not accurate. Thanks again!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
AFAIK the term refers to the geographical formation, the archipelago. Not limited to territory under British sovereignty.
It is however considered a controversial term! It is not used by the Irish government because it has political connotations. It has always been far from a neutral geographical term for the islands in this particular archipelago. More nuanced terminology has been proposed that avoid political connotations.

It is however considered a controversial term! It is not used by the Irish government because it has political connotations. It has always been far from a neutral geographical term for the islands in this particular archipelago. More nuanced terminology has been proposed that avoid political connotations.
I was not aware of that to be honest. Time to change some Wikipedia entries then?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It’s a term that seems very rarely used as, yes, it does carry political connotations. We (UK folks) tend to use individual countries, Britain, or UK. I don’t think many folks would even be able to define British Isles, or how it differs from British!

Last edited:
@Corned Beef That Wikipedia link is a historical entry about the official term in use from 1801 to 1922. The current official term is mentioned in the first paragraph and is "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". "Great Britain" is the landmass which includes England, Scotland and Wales and their dependent islands. Northern Ireland is a part of the United Kingdom but not part of Great Britain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
AFAIK the term refers to the geographical formation, the archipelago. Not limited to territory under British sovereignty.
Yes but.... Not a terribly popular phrasing in the Ireland part of these isles and in fairness when you think about it, it is an antiquated and unsuitable term (IMHO). As someone from Ireland, i appreciate it when folk try to use alternative phrasing. Britain & Ireland doesn't take that much longer to say or write and covers all bases.

@Corned Beef That Wikipedia link is a historical entry about the official term in use from 1801 to 1922. The current official term is mentioned in the first paragraph and is "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". "Great Britain" is the landmass which includes England, Scotland and Wales and their dependent islands. Northern Ireland is a part of the United Kingdom but not part of Great Britain.
Are youse looking to discuss that??

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Isn't it United Kingdom and Northern Ireland. We've given up United Kingdom and Ireland though Wikipedia hasn't. A very confused nation on a relatively small piece of land.

The Wiki article concerns the political situation from 1801 to the 1920s - the modern title was adopted in 1927 (it would seem) - "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

Bradypus : apologies - our posts crossed. (edit)

I only engage in certain topics, mainly travel, financial, insurance and a few others
That probably explains your impressions. Those very topics are ones that are of particular interest to people from outside the greater-European-continent-west-of-the-Urals-plus-nearby-islands, and are of much less interest to Europeans.

I think Europe would have done!
Yes, I will (with trepidation) henceforth go with the National Geographic definition:

"Europe extends from the island nation of Iceland in the west to the Ural Mountains of Russia in the east. Europe's northernmost point is the Svalbard archipelago of Norway, and it reaches as far south as the islands of Greece and Malta."​
Of course, every time I do that, someone will feel the need to explain that it is not the EU, etc., etc.

Note: Please answer the question using the poll feature at the top of the thread, where you click on a button to indicate your answer. If you just add a post below, stating your answer, it will not be counted.

We haven't had a poll for awhile! There was some discussion on another thread about where most of the currently active forum members are from. I thought a simple poll would give us a rough idea. Each member can cast only one "vote" and the answers are anonymous.

I am asking for residence rather than origin. And I've used the word "normally" without defining it. Let's not debate the wording of the question or the answers. :)

I'll leave the poll open for enough time to cover all time zones equally.

I’m not so sure as to how many realise that forum members represent only a very tiny fraction of people walking the Camino.

De Colores

Bogong

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In Ireland, for whatever reason, awareness of the Camino is universal. In almost anyone’s company if you mention the Camino the person you are talking to will at least have heard of it, and quite often will say “I’d love to walk on it”. Why this is is not clear, as while we are a catholic country by tradition, practicing catholics are in decline. Maybe it’s the ancient Celtic links that make us want to visit feel at home in parts of northern Spain.

I’m not so sure as to how many realise that forum members represent only a very tiny fraction of people walking the Camino.
While this is very true, the poll is addressing the question of where forum members come from. For information about where pilgrims come from, the Pilgrim Office website is the best source.

In Ireland, for whatever reason, awareness of the Camino is universal. In almost anyone’s company if you mention the Camino the person you are talking to will at least have heard of it, and quite often will say “I’d love to walk on it”. Why this is is not clear, as while we are a catholic country by tradition, practicing catholics are in decline. Maybe it’s the ancient Celtic links that make us want to visit feel at home in parts of northern Spain.
It seems to be similar in Germany, independent from faith and more depending on cultural background. When I mention the Camino among Germans they usually know what I am talking about and most think it at least an exciting idea to do it themselves one day - even if just hypothetically ;-)

€149,-
Yes I thought other was a bit broad for the majority of the world. I know I have met a surprising number of people from Korea for example. Still this pill is a start.
Yea but I don’t think you could cover the vast majority of the world under Asia. You would need to at least say, south Asia, south east Asia and east Asia to break it down.

I certainly don’t think that’s the case in England, certainly not amongst my friends anyway. I only heard of it 4 or 5 years ago. Many other treks are far more well known.

I think Ivar seems to have provided the answer.

Just to throw another thought into the mix. As I was curious.
So from ChatGPT. Polls on the Forum have 10 options.

So I asked "If I had to make a list of regions of the World, and could only include ten, what regional descriptions would cover all countries in the world"?

Dividing the world into ten regions while ensuring that all countries are covered is a broad task, and the divisions can vary depending on the criteria (cultural, geographical, economic, etc.). However, if we focus on a blend of geographical and cultural criteria, here's one way to divide the world into ten regions:

1. **North America**: Comprising Canada, the United States, and Mexico. Some interpretations might also include Central American countries, but for the sake of brevity, we'll place them in a separate category.

2. **Central & South America (or Latin America)**: This region would cover all countries from Guatemala in the north down to Chile and Argentina in the south, including the Caribbean nations.

3. **Western Europe**: Including countries like the UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, and the Nordic countries, among others.

4. **Eastern Europe & Russia**: Encompassing countries from Poland in the west to Russia in the east, and down to the Balkans.

5. **Sub-Saharan Africa**: Covering all African countries south of the Sahara desert, from Senegal in the west to Kenya in the east, down to South Africa.

6. **Middle East & North Africa (MENA)**: This would include countries from Morocco in the west to Iran in the east, and all the Arabian Peninsula countries.

7. **South Asia**: This region typically refers to countries like India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bhutan, and the Maldives.

8. **East Asia**: Comprising countries like China, Japan, South Korea, North Korea, Taiwan, and Mongolia.

9. **Southeast Asia & Oceania**: Including countries like Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, the Philippines, Malaysia, and also the Pacific nations like Australia, New Zealand, and the Pacific islands.

10. **Central Asia**: This region is often overlooked but is distinct in its cultural and historical characteristics. It includes countries like Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Tajikistan.

This division is somewhat simplified and does not capture all the complexities and nuances of the world's regions. However, it does give a broad overview that includes all countries. Adjustments and refinements can be made based on specific needs and perspectives.

Interesting list I thought. :rolleyes:

Here in California, when practicing my Spanish with folk from Latin America, almost all know of the Camino.

¡Viva la Hispanidad!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My "worst" painfully large portion was actually in Oviedo ;-) But then again, I have NEVER ever been to Texas.
My worst painfully large portion was in Portugal on the Fisherman's Trail. A "specialty", but can't recall its name at the moment. @JabbaPapa will know; he ate one this past year and critiqued it.
Here it is sitting on a large full size dinner plate.😝
Screenshot_20231030-095751~2.png

When most of us think of "North America" we picture Canada, USA and perhaps Mexico. Here's a list of countries in North America according to Wikipedia:
That looks like it includes what I would consider Central America. When I was in school, Central America was distinguished from North America but it looks like it is now included.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Isn't it United Kingdom and Northern Ireland. We've given up United Kingdom and Ireland though Wikipedia hasn't. A very confused nation on a relatively small piece of land.

I think Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom (as are England, Scotland, Wales). Hence it would be United Kingdom  of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and not United Kingdom  and ... . But I could be wrong.

I recognize many people think Ireland is pretty great, too.

I think Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom (as are England, Scotland, Wales). Hence it would be United Kingdom  of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and not United Kingdom  and ... . But I could be wrong.

I recognize many people think Ireland is pretty great, too.
You are absolutely right!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
“The number of unique users who engaged with your site. “

So if you visit every day, you are only counted once.
What is the time frame for calling them "active"? Does this include members who joined 10 years ago but don't visit anymore, as well as those who visit but don't post?

That looks like it includes what I would consider Central America. When I was in school, Central America was distinguished from North America but it looks like it is now included.
Not sure about that. Can’t see graphic but top of head Central America is Nicaragua, Honduras, Belize, Guatemala, Panama, Costa Rica and El Salvador.

De Colores

Bogong
I think most of us realize that. There were over 400,000 Compostelas given out last year. I think most of us realize there aren't anywhere near that number of members. As well, this being an English language Internet forum, I think it us recognized that there are a number of ways that we are not necessarily a representative sample of people on the Camino. But the purpose of this poll as described by the person who published it is not to draw conclusions about those on the Camino but to perhaps get a better understanding of who is actively using the forum. So there us no need to represent people walking the Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What is the time frame for calling them "active"? Does this include members who joined 10 years ago but don't visit anymore, as well as those who visit but don't post?
I expect it is the month that the statistics represent. It is counting users rather than members. If someone (member or not) visits the site in a month, they are considered active users in that month.

Not sure about that. Can’t see graphic but top of head Central America is Nicaragua, Honduras, Belize, Guatemala, Panama, Costa Rica and El Salvador.
The graphic and the Wikipedia article (and other current sources I checked after seeing the Wikipedia article) seem to include Panama and anything north, as well as Caribbean islands, in North America. That includes Central America.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Looks like a Francesinha. But that's the skinny version - where are the chips and the fried egg?
Yes, that's the name; very heavy and dense. I can't recall all the internal ingredients under the goop, but possibly an egg was involved.😅

The argument about the UK is surely another off-topic issue. In the poll, I was referring to the geographical feature of a collection of islands north of mainland Europe. Those islands used to be called the British Isles, but I understand that this term may no longer be acceptable.

As is UK!

Is it? For many years while the UK was part of the EU brits said “Europe” where they used to say “the continent” - “I go to Europe for my holidays this year” rather than “I go to the continent”. They referred to “the continent” for centuries, I suppose, but I noticed it in the 60s, certainly. I don’t remember when I started noticing the change. And being irritated by it. As if the UK was not part of Europe….

Note to the moderators: If this is too political delete it

Is it? For many years while the UK was part of the EU brits said “Europe” where they used to say “the continent” - “I go to Europe for my holidays this year” rather than “I go to the continent”. They referred to “the continent” for centuries, I suppose, but I noticed it in the 60s, certainly. I don’t remember when I started noticing the change. And being irritated by it. As if the UK was not part of Europe….

Note to the moderators: If this is too political delete it
Yea and many people, companies, and media still do (as do my Irish parents) and it annoys me too. It’s wrong. It’s nothing to do with the EU. People say it whether they are going to Bosnia or Croatia, France or Serbia , Sweden or Norway, Switzerland or Italy (i.e. EU or non EU countries) and so on!!! That said saying ‘I am travelling within Europe’ sounds a bit odd to most of us! Habits I guess!

But bottom line we are as much as part of Europe as the other 50-60 countries.

Last edited:
Oh no, here we go ;)
Many moons ago I worked for a UK company. Whenever colleagues made the trip across the Irish Sea for a visit It was always great sport watching the reaction of the natives when they referred to Britain as the “mainland”. It ranged from stunned science to horror. The usual response was “do you mean Europe?”

I used to work for the UK government. Strangely my entire team of Poles, Eritreans, Malaysians, Jamaicans, Scots and Scousers knew exactly where they were from and where they were.

I never heard the UK referred to by any of them as any where other than home. The only group I’ve ever heard refer to the “mainland” were a bunch of outer islers referring to the Shetlands. From Foula.

All of which has bugger all to do with the question that opens this thread. For the purpose of the thread l’m from here. Even though for most of my childhood and some of my adult life various people have done their level best to tell me that I didn’t belong because I wasn’t them

It is fascinating how and why names change over time. In school (USA) I was taught that there were 4 oceans. Then in Australia I was taught there are now 5 oceans - looking south from Kangaroo Island is the beautiful Southern Ocean.

I was also taught, like David Tallan, that only 3 countries comprised North America. My guess is that the 1993 North American Trade Agreement eventually expanded to include the countries once known as "Central America," but that's just a shot in the dark on how "history" influences "geography" or nomenclature. I would not dare to touch on Britian, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Dear people have all used different conventions in conversation, so I always default to following the lead of the person I am speaking with. Great poll, and the commentary on this thread is very informative and appreciated.

Yes, when I was in school, besides North America, there was Central America, and the Caribbean. Coming from the Caribbean I thought that was quite appropriate.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I am following the instructions about editing my ACCOUNT DETAILS since I want to change the year of my past/present Camino/s but when I go to this page, the Past/Present Camino/s option is...
Is it possible to private message other members? I have tried clicking on the name of the person I’d like to message (a mod, to ask when the monthly start date threads are posted) but all I see is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.