• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What are your favorite Camino misspellings on the forum?

peregrina2000

Staff member
Mods and longtime regular forum members have surely noticed the way some common words are frequently misspelled. Though it’s not a big deal, it does mess with the search function. If you look for trains going to Pondeferra or Bilboa, you’re not going to find any!

This thread is intended to be a lighthearted (but maybe school-marmish ) effort to clean up some of our most frequent faux pas. I’ll start.

ALBERGUE, not albUrgue, not albUrgE, not albUErgue, not albergE, not aUbergue, not alberQue.

Auberge is the correct spelling in French, so I won’t count that as a misspelling. ;)

What are your favorites?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Auberge is the correct spelling in French, so I won’t count that as a misspelling. ;)
Just a small point, not really a spelling issue but, given that you mentioned it. An Auberge in France is more typically a restaurant, which these days may or may not have hotel type accommodation attached. It’s usually not the equivalent of an albergue in Spain.

Pilgrim accommodation in France is typically a gite, not an Auberge. 😎

Edited to add: As mentioned in a post below, you may see Auberge more often when referring to Auberge de Jeunesse - Youth Hostel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I still haven't figured out when to capitalize camino.
Or in Australia, among other places, ‘capitalise’. 😉

Not sure about Camino / camino? In thinking about it, I tend to capitalise camino when referring to a particular path/route, Camino Mozarabe. But not, for example, in the case of ‘I’m thinking about which camino (path) I’ll walk next’. 😎

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you look for trains going to Pondeferra or Bilboa, you’re not going to find any!
So true! But here is a fascinating example of how things can turn out otherwise, from a simple misspelling. Lourde versus Lourdes. The article is old and I do not see any updates. So perhaps it is less apt to happen now. Either sounds like a great pilgrimage to me, and I wonder if there *are* towns actually named close but not quite on main pilgrimage routes? :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I take it you are including the mistake of sticking in an apostrophe, where none belongs. I think someone once told me that Brierley spelled it O’Cebreiro, so that might explain it.
I think that big O looks very lonely sitting all by itself. I admit to being an abuser of that apostrophe. I have BrierlEy's guide books and also have Irish relatives through marriages.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to start a thread asking why people so often spell albergue with a q, so this is the clear winner for me.
Possibly a few Americans not paying close attention. The "q" looks very similar to a "g" (alberque), similar to Albuquerque, New Mexico with its que ending...just a thought as to possibly "why" people may think it is correct...forum newbies perhaps?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ah, be kind! Some of the offenders may not be native speakers of English; others may be dyslexic. Years of marking semiliterate essays have taught me to censor my comments, especially after impressing on a delinquent the importance of poofreading (sic!)

Years of marking semiliterate essays have taught me to censor my comments, especially after impressing on a delinquent the importance of poofreading (sic!)
An English friend of mine was a schoolteacher and had to mark some homework about local wildlife. One girl mentioned "egog" several times. Martin tells me he took a minute or so before realising that it was a vaguely phonetic version of the local pronunciation of "hedgehog"....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ah, be kind! Some of the offenders may not be native speakers of English; others may be dyslexic. Years of marking semiliterate essays have taught me to censor my comments, especially after impressing on a delinquent the importance of poofreading (sic!)
Is that reading a book while seated on a misspelled footstool? 😀

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well, then, that means that I can add “auberge” to my list of favorite misspellings of albergue. Thanks!
Sorry, but there ARE places in France that call themselves "auberge," Auberge Borda being a good example.

The one that bugs me the most (which has been mentioned) is when people refer to "the El Camino."

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ronsy-vall. Ronsays-valleys. Ron-scavole.
I just spit my coffee.

I'm a native speaker of Portuguese, and really don't mind much the language-butchering, because some people at least try. But the one that actually annoyed me was the person who turned to his camino companion and said "It's actually 'buen camino'" after another pilgrim wished them "bom caminho" in Barcelos...

And the most adorable thing is to hear "muchas gracias" said in whatever accent with a big smile once the waiter brings a large plate of food :) Everyone gets that one right, but the smile adds a lot to it!

Last edited:
Nobody has mentioned the (incorrect) double L spelling of Compostela. With two Ls it would have a different pronunciation.

And let's not forget Bilboa.

Estella (town in Navarra) versus Estrella (beer)
Most native English speakers mispronounce Estella - the double L makes a Y sound, not an L sound.
I think that big O looks very lonely sitting all by itself.
In Galician A and O are both definite articles and mean the. The plural forms are as and os. I know that I was initially confused about the route named the Camiño dos Faros, because I thought that it meant that there were two lighthouses, but in this case it's the way of the lighthouses - dos means of the, not two as in Spanish.
Ah, be kind! Some of the offenders may not be native speakers of English;
It's not the English words that people have problems with, it's the commonly used Spanish words on the Camino.

Two mispronunciations that other pilgrims used that drove me a bit bonkers were the guy that kept called the Meseta the Masada, and a woman who pronounced Rioja as Rioka.

Two mispronunciations that other pilgrims used that drove me a bit bonkers were the guy that kept called the Meseta the Masada, and a woman who pronounced Rioja as Rioka.
Well, Masada is a high, dry plateau.

I can sort of see the Rioja/Rioka thing, too. Properly pronounced, the "j" in Rioja isn't that far off from the "ch" in "loch". A number of English speakers (and perhaps speakers of other languages without that sound) have difficulty with it. I can see them turning the fricative to the stop. If you have difficulty, though, probably better to substitute an "h" sound rather than a "k" sound. Just as if you can't pronounce the Spanish name "Jesus" properly, better to go with Hesus than Kesus.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I still haven't figured out when to capitalize camino.
Camino Frances. Camino Ingles. Camino Madrid. All nouns. Hacer camino- go for a walk
Is that the proper distinction?
Almost. The examples were all "proper nouns" - the official names of something - so they should be capitalized.

I think it is optional - If you consider "Camino" to be short for "Camino de Santiago de Compostela" it would be capitalized. If you think of a "camino" as being a more generic word for "way" or "walk" (as a noun, adopted from Spanish) then don't capitalize.

The one that bugs me the most (which has been mentioned) is when people refer to "the El Camino."
Or "the Del Norte"

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

€149,-
Nobody has mentioned the (incorrect) double L spelling of Compostela. With two Ls it would have a different pronunciation.

Curiously Bilboa makes sense in Euskera. Bilbo is Bilbao in that language and the "a" at the end is the article "the". So, Bilboa would be "El Bilbao" .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes. Not the Camino Del Norte. :p "The Del Norte" is like saying "The of the North".
Not about the camino but along similar (but worse!) lines, think for a moment about the baseball team called ‘The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim’. I’ll wait below.

The The Angels Angels (of Anaheim).

Who'd think a "D" is not always a "d" in Spanish as to their use and meaning. Apparently all d's are not created equal.🙄

"It's complicated".😛

How about this...
Finisterre (Spanish), Fisterra (Galician); I had learned that both spellings are correct.

Edited for a typo thanks to @JabbaPapa.😅

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The only two that do annoy me are "O'Cebreiro" and "the El Camino".

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
???
That's the correct spelling.
It's Pinchos in Spanish, outside of the pintxos region. Further south in Castilla than the Francès, you *never* encounter the pintxos spelling.

So, just like Fisterra/Finisterra, pinchos and pintxos are both correct, except regionally where one can be correct and the other not.

Most native English speakers mispronounce Estella - the double L makes a Y sound, not an L sound.
Pronunciation of -ll- varies between Spaniards ; in the way I learned it in Catalonia (Castilian spoken in the Catalan manner, not Catalàn itself), there's a silent -l- before the -y-. Some other Spaniards would pronounce the -l- more audibly.
Or "the Del Norte"
Well, there "Camino" is implicit, as in "the (Camino) Del Norte", so that one's not incorrect, in English anyway.
Camino Frances. Camino Ingles. Camino Madrid. All nouns. Hacer camino- go for a walk 😉
Except when it's a verb :

Yo camino -- I walk/am walking. Yo camino el Francés hasta Santiago.

Mispronounce it when they speak Spanish or mispronounce it when they speak English? ☺️

I would probably pronounce Estella with an L sound in English as I want to be understood and not show off my Spanish. This is actually a personal pet peeve of mine - people who pronounce for example Volkswagen or Skoda in English the way they are pronounced in German or Czech (and if they knew how to produce the letter Š on their keyboard they would probably write it that way in English, too 😅).

I know that the thread started with a discussion of common misspellings on the forum but has branched out into how to write and pronounce geographical words for locations of foreign countries in English. It is a minefield. 😊

So, for writing in English: Camino Francés or Camino Frances? Navarra or Navarre? I always write Navarra although I know that it ought to be Navarre in English. O Cebreiro or Cebrero or El Cebrero? And while we are at it: La Coruña or A Coruña or just Coruña? Sevilla or Seville?

As to Santiago de Compostela: You don't have to cut some extra slack for non-native speakers of English but have some mercy for the multilingual writers who are used to seeing the name of the town in Galicia correctly written with two ll in Saint-Jacques-de-Compostelle (French), Santiago de Compostella (Dutch) and of course as Compostella in Latin on their Compostela document. When they write it with ll in English we can perhaps coin the term "Albuquerque effect" for this error. 😊

As to the correct pronunciation of Roncesvalles in English, I have no idea. It is called Roncevaux in French and that's probably how many people heard the name of this location first pronounced at school in history class or literature class. Even the English Wikipedia article about Roncesvalles refers to the Battle of Roncevaux and offers the English spellings of Roncevaux Pass, Roncesvalles Pass and Ronceval Pass for the pass that is called Puerto de Ibañeta in Spanish.

There is a neighbourhood called Roncesvalles in Toronto, Canada ... click on the loudspeaker icon in the English Wikipedia article about Roncesvalles, Toronto to hear how it is pronounced in English. ☺️

It really grates on me when folks write a variation of I am planning Camino, currently on Camino, just returned from Camino. Omitting “el” or “the” in front of “Camino”. Da!!
Agree, the worst is Francis and albuergue like hambuerger.
Laurie, What a can of worms you just opened.
The other annoying thing while walking El Camino del Norte (😂) recently was walkers who passed me at the speed of light (that in itself is ok) and without looking sideways mumbled “buencamino” in one syllable with a flat tone sounding more like a f-U. But I digress.

I asked the taxi driver in Sarria to tell me how to say the name. Where is the accent. She pronounced it like Sorry-ya, not Sa-Rye-ya.

Have little idea how to pronounce French, so Roncesvalles is still a mystery to me. Raunches-Val? Raunches-valley? What is it?

Took me a while to realize Castrojeriz was one word, not 2.

The name I use is Jo. How should I tell Spanish speakers my name? I don't want to be called Ho.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I asked the taxi driver in Sarria to tell me how to say the name. Where is the accent. She pronounced it like Sorry-ya, not Sa-Rye-ya.

Have little idea how to pronounce French, so Roncesvalles is still a mystery to me. Raunches-Val? Raunches-valley? What is it?

The name I use is Jo. How should I tell Spanish speakers my name? I don't want to be called Ho.

See this link, though indeed the French would also say " Roncevaux".

But certainly not Raunches like in Chaumes ( the cheese ).

I sympathize. I absolutely hate being called Ricardo. Growing up I way too often was called Ricky Ricardo, a character played by Desi Arnaz on the I Love Lucy TV show.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A American President while on a visit to Australia made a speach and said he would like to thank the Austrian Navy for their help.
South Korea became a republic after World War 2 and had its first democratic election in 1948. The newly-elected president was married to an Austrian lady (the marriage occurred while he was living in the United States). Koreans commonly refer to someone's wife as Mrs. wherever she was born: e.g. Mrs. California, Mrs. Indiana, etc., and the first lady was mistakenly referred to as Mrs. Australia.

The other annoying thing while walking El Camino del Norte (😂) recently was walkers who passed me at the speed of light (that in itself is ok) and without looking sideways mumbled “buencamino” in one syllable with a flat tone sounding more like a f-U. But I digress.
I’m sorry you are annoyed by this; we don’t know what burdens others are carrying, so perhaps it’s best not to judge. But feel free to rant tho’. 🤣🤣

😁🙃 This thread started with misspellings on the forum. It’s now moved firmly into mispronunciations. Still, it’s a fun thread.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Mispronounce it when they speak Spanish or mispronounce it when they speak English? ☺️

I would probably pronounce Estella with an L sound in English as I want to be understood and not show off my Spanish. This is actually a personal pet peeve of mine - people who pronounce for example Volkswagen or Skoda in English the way they are pronounced in German or Czech (and if they knew how to produce the letter Š on their keyboard they would probably write it that way in English, too 😅).

I know that the thread started with a discussion of common misspellings on the forum but has branched out into how to write and pronounce geographical words for locations of foreign countries in English. It is a minefield. 😊

So, for writing in English: Camino Francés or Camino Frances? Navarra or Navarre? I always write Navarra although I know that it ought to be Navarre in English. O Cebreiro or Cebrero or El Cebrero? And while we are at it: La Coruña or A Coruña or just Coruña? Sevilla or Seville?

As to Santiago de Compostela: You don't have to cut some extra slack for non-native speakers of English but have some mercy for the multilingual writers who are used to seeing the name of the town in Galicia correctly written with two ll in Saint-Jacques-de-Compostelle (French), Santiago de Compostella (Dutch) and of course as Compostella in Latin on their Compostela document. When they write it with ll in English we can perhaps coin the term "Albuquerque effect" for this error. 😊

As to the correct pronunciation of Roncesvalles in English, I have no idea. It is called Roncevaux in French and that's probably how many people heard the name of this location first pronounced at school in history class or literature class. Even the English Wikipedia article about Roncesvalles refers to the Battle of Roncevaux and offers the English spellings of Roncevaux Pass, Roncesvalles Pass and Ronceval Pass for the pass that is called Puerto de Ibañeta in Spanish.

There is a neighbourhood called Roncesvalles in Toronto, Canada ... click on the loudspeaker icon in the English Wikipedia article about Roncesvalles, Toronto to hear how it is pronounced in English. ☺️
Huh? How do English people pronounce Volkswagen? I’m a native German speaker, and I’ve never heard Volkswagen pronounced any other way than the way I would say it.

Huh? How do English people pronounce Volkswagen? I’m a native German speaker, and I’ve never heard Volkswagen pronounced any other way than the way I would say it.
We Brits are divided on the matter. Some of us would pronounce the "w" more like an English 'v' (as in Victoria) while others would sound it as 'w' (as in 'world'). The latter is probably more common.

French : Roncevaux.

Spanish : Roncesvalles.

If it's any consolation, neither are easy to pronounce !!

And let's not even get started on the Basque ...

Last edited:
It took me a while to remember the correct sequence of the bits and pieces that make up the name of the town commonly abbreviated on the forum as SJPP, especially before I had looked up the meaning of the town's name and before I had grasped why there is a foot and a port in the name. I often write it without hyphens but the correct spelling in both English and French is Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. ☺️

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
the correct spelling in both English and French is Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. ☺️
Yes indeed, and one really does need to look up the hyphenating for each individual village, town, or city named after a Saint and etc. o_O

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Here in Spain now there are lots of news about a Catalan politician who lives in Waterloo. Almost everybody here say it in English like Abba when the Spanish pronunciation is closer to the original Flemish ( I think). Vaterló.

Indeed closer, but we Flemish do pronounce it with a W and not with a V.

Loo to pronounce like French l 'eau.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As for the variations of “croissant”! Pronunciation and spelling.
Ok, away from spelling, and into pronunciation, that's ok...because I do love words, but am not keen on discussing spelling on this forum...you have drawn me in!
Spanish person speaking French, heard by a Scot...I could not quite get the word I was hearing but it turned out to be that word you quote. What I heard was coor-a-son.

€83,-
Here in Spain now there are lots of news about a Catalan politician who lives in Waterloo. Almost everybody here say it in English like Abba when the Spanish pronunciation is closer to the original Flemish ( I think). Vaterló.
Thank you for this comment! That's really interesting - that the Spanish pronunciation of the name of this smallish town in Belgium, albeit with a name known throughout Europe, is currently being replaced by the English pronunciation in Spanish news media. I do wonder, actually and now that you pointed this out, whether it has something to do with the widely known Abba song. It would not surprise me if this is how linguistic shifts occur.

BTW, today's Waterloo is located in the French-speaking part of Belgium; the current population is predominantly French-speaking (with about 18% expats and that includes the Catalan politician). Those who pay close attention will notice that the 'correct' pronunciation of Waterloo depends on whether you speak about the town in French, or in Dutch, or in English etc etc. And that kind of difference in pronunciation is considered to be quite normal ... ☺️

Last edited:
Ok, away from spelling, and into pronunciation, that's ok...because I do love words, but am not keen on discussing spelling on this forum...you have drawn me in!
Spanish person speaking French, heard by a Scot...I could not quite get the word I was hearing but it turned out to be that word you quote. What I heard was coor-a-son.
Or your uncle’s irritated wife.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you for this comment! That's really interesting - that the Spanish pronunciation of the name of this smallish town in Belgium, albeit with a name known throughout Europe, is currently being replaced by the English pronunciation in Spanish news media. I do wonder, actually and now that you pointed this out, whether it has something to do with the widely known Abba song. It would not surprise me if this is how linguistic shifts occur.

BTW, today's Waterloo is located in the French-speaking part of Belgium; the current population is predominantly French-speaking (with about 18% expats and that includes the Catalan politician). Those who pay close attention will notice that the 'correct' pronunciation of Waterloo depends on whether you speak about the town in French, or in Dutch, or in English etc etc. And that kind of difference in pronunciation is considered to be quite normal ... ☺️
In Spain many people think that W is always pronounced like in English. Same for German words. Normative Spanish is W= V
Then, there are many people here who say Wamba ( Camino de Madrid) instead of Vamba.

I wouldn't worry about the French pronunciation of Roncesvalles. Save that for Roncevaux.
I tend to pronounce Roncesvalles Ron•thes•va•yez (with a little roll on the "r", an unvoiced "th" as in "think" not "the", an unvoiced "s" as in "this" not "these"). Except when I was working on Roncesvalles Avenue in Toronto.

When I am in Spain, I give my last name as Tayan. That way they are more likely to spell it correctly or recognize it when they see it. It is just something I have learned to accept.

I like this and would have liked to hear it! In American English, "cellar door" is one of the least romantic sounding words possible - SELLer door. Our French teachers told us it was the most beautiful in the English language, which became believable hearing them prounounce it: "cela d'or"

In Spain many people think that W is always pronounced like in English. Same for German words. Normative Spanish is W= V
Then, there are many people here who say Wamba ( Camino de Madrid) instead of Vamba.
How often does W occur at the beginning of Spanish words for Spanish people to become familiar with its correct pronunciation in that position? I had heard Wamba was very unusual in that respect.

Nobody has mentioned (till now) the various spellings of 'Botafumeiro'. And, if we're bringing pronunciation into this debate, may I mention the number of people who think that the word for the way that people pronounce words is 'pronounciation'.

we're bringing pronunciation into this debate, may I mention the number of people who think that the word for the way that people pronounce words is 'pronounciation'.
Oh no, someone earlier in this thread, (was it this thread?) already intoned one US President Bush, nucular (for nuclear ☢️) anyone? Emoji looks like a seasonal punkin. 😂

In Galician A and O are both definite articles and mean the. The plural forms are as and os. I know that I was initially confused about the route named the Camiño dos Faros, because I thought that it meant that there were two lighthouses, but in this case it's the way of the lighthouses - dos means of the, not two as in Spanish.

It's not the English words that people have problems with, it's the commonly used Spanish words on the Camino.

Though slightly better than hearing it pronounced “Rio-jah” (with “j” as in “jump”! 😱. I also cringe a bit at “Pampa-lona” and NaJEra (also with “J” as in jump and the second instead of the first syllable accented. 🙄

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I am following the instructions about editing my ACCOUNT DETAILS since I want to change the year of my past/present Camino/s but when I go to this page, the Past/Present Camino/s option is...
Is it possible to private message other members? I have tried clicking on the name of the person I’d like to message (a mod, to ask when the monthly start date threads are posted) but all I see is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.