• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Forum Membership.

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
Just curious. How many members does the Forum have?
Is there any data on the country of origin?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The statistics on the start page:
I had a conversation with @ivar about member numbers when I last visited Santiago in January. He pointed out that people do not generally ask for their accounts to be deleted when they stop visiting the forum. So the number of active members is really far smaller than the listed total which is almost everyone who has ever signed up with an account in the past.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I had a conversation with @ivar about member numbers when I last visited Santiago in January. He pointed out that as people do not generally ask for their accounts to be deleted when they stop visiting the forum the number of active members is far smaller than the listed total which is almost everyone who has ever signed up with an account in the past.
I always assume that posts are overwhelmingly from USA / Canadian folks.. maybe >90% judging by language and timing of points. Not that I would post anything contentious but I would definately do it based on EST and PCT when most of the mods are having a well earned sleep!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Turga's post gives the number of members to be 103,151 and the number of posts to be 1,099,587 or an average of about 10 posts per member. But of course many members exceed that number. Last December we kept our eyes open for the millionth post and determined that it was made by @mspath. She had a very good shot at being that poster as she had written about 1% of all the posts up to that point.

See thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/post-number-1-million-on-the-forum.77915/

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I always assume that posts are overwhelmingly from USA / Canadian folks.. maybe >90% judging by language and timing of points.
I would agree with "overwhelmingly" (as an impression), though perhaps not such a high percentage. Why is this so? After all this is not a North American Forum. It's founded by a (very) northern European who lives in Spain.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I got curious. The 20 members who are credited with the most messages posted make up a bit less than 0.02% of the membership but about 17% of the posts.

Edit: Using the numbers posted above by @Turga.
So then it is similar to how wealth is distributed on this planet!
Really unfortunate that it is not the same people 🤣

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don't have any numbers to support my impression, but I don't think the USA/Canadians make up anywhere near that percentage.
Sure who knows. It feels that way to me. I guess I am probably talking ‘posts’ not posters, but it feels overwhelmingly that way to me. Happy for it to be that way as interacting with folks from very different cultures is a major plus! I m struggling to think of much more than 10 very regular
European posters and similar AU/NZ- I could be way off tho.

Sure who knows. It feels that way to me. I guess I am probably talking ‘posts’ not posters, but it feels overwhelmingly that way to me. Happy for it to be that way as interacting with folks from very different cultures is a major plus! I m struggling to think of much more than 10 very regular
European posters - I could be way off tho.
You're right @TravellingMan22 - who knows? As an aside, I doubt that forum members, active or otherwise, are representative (by nationality or any other measure) of people walking the various Camino paths at any given time. That's just my feeling from what I have seen on the forum compared to who I have met on the Way. And even if they were, active members is a sub-set and active members who post frequently another sub-set, and members who respond to a poll another sub-set ... and so on. I do agree that there's something to be appreciated by seeing other perspectives. I particularly appreciate the input of forum members who I gather are from countries, cultures and backgrounds far removed from my own. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right @TravellingMan22 - who knows? As an aside, I doubt that forum members, active or otherwise, are representative (by nationality or any other measure) of people walking the various Camino paths at any given time. That's just my feeling from what I have seen on the forum compared to who I have met on the Way. And even if they were, active members is a sub-set and active members who post frequently another sub-set, and members who respond to a poll another sub-set ... and so on. I do agree that there's something to be appreciated by seeing other perspectives. I particularly appreciate the input of forum members who I gather are from countries, cultures and backgrounds far removed from my own. 😎
Yes 100% agree with every word.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I always assume that posts are overwhelmingly from USA / Canadian folks.. maybe >90% judging by language and timing of points. Not that I would post anything contentious but I would definately do it based on EST and PCT when most of the mods are having a well earned sleep!
I have been doing various Camino's since 2007, ( most years than other than COVID!) I also have impression that most contributers on this forum are from North America (I'm from Ireland) What intrigues me is that on all my Camino's I have only ever met one American, girl from Texas and two Canadians. Odd

I have been doing various Camino's since 2007, ( most years than other than COVID!) I also have impression that most contributers on this forum are from North America (I'm from Ireland) What intrigues me is that on all my Camino's I have only ever met one American, girl from Texas and two Canadians. Odd
Similar but not as extreme in my personal statistics. Very few from North America, almost more from South America. Some asians and heaps of Europeans. I wonder if that might be connected to preferred seasons. I am usually on the path early in the year, spring, before the first big wave of pilgrims arrives.

I wonder if that might be connected to preferred seasons. I am usually on the path early in the year, spring, before the first big wave of pilgrims arrives.
I think the timing must be important. I walked from SJPDP in January this year. According to the SJPDP pilgrim office figures for January, February and March there were nearly equal numbers of Koreans and Americans recorded. But my experience over the walk was that about 1/3 or more of my fellow pilgrims were Korean, only two were Canadian and none at all were from the US.

1690408773765.png

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think the timing must be important. I walked from SJPDP in January this year. According to the SJPDP pilgrim office figures for January, February and March there were nearly equal numbers of Koreans and Americans recorded. But my experience over the walk was that about 1/3 or more of my fellow pilgrims were Korean, only two were Canadian and none at all were from the US.

View attachment 159431
I agree it really depends on the timing - and the path. A few weeks ago we were at the pilgrims' dinner in Roncesvalles. We were about 20 around the table. A sprinkling of Belgian, Italian, French, Brazilian, Russian (living in US), French Canadian, Japanese, one Australian (me) and 6 pilgrims from South Korea. With such a percentage it was easy to assume the Korean pilgrims were travelling as a group - but they weren't. They were each walking solo and had met just the day before in SJPP. Some said they found it funny and surprising that there were so many of them starting the same day. It was a fun dinner despite, or maybe because of, some language challenges!

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 159431
It may also be to do with accommodation choices.

That’s an interesting point, odd that I’d not thought of that before. Personally I’ve only done two short Caminos, both this year, but whilst I met 4 North Americans- two Canadians, two Americans- I met mainly Europeans, several Irish, a Palestinian couple and a couple of Asians. Oh, and one Brit.
And it was nothing to do with the season either - one was spring, the second summer.
The only fellow forum member ( to the best of my knowledge) was one of the Irishmen.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

View attachment 159431
I would tend to walk most years in late April to early May. The people I met varied with the route in my experience. In order of greater nos, On the Frances, French, Spanish, German , Dutch, Irish and Australian. On the Portuguese, portuguese, Spanish, french, German and Dutch. On the Norte, Spanish, French and one Canadian. On the Tunnel route, French couple. (Quiet route !) Primativo, Spanish, French, German and a few from UK. Not very scientific survey impressions only.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I am following the instructions about editing my ACCOUNT DETAILS since I want to change the year of my past/present Camino/s but when I go to this page, the Past/Present Camino/s option is...
Is it possible to private message other members? I have tried clicking on the name of the person I’d like to message (a mod, to ask when the monthly start date threads are posted) but all I see is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.