• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Happy New Year! 5776!!

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
For all my Jewish Brethren both on the Camino on the way to the Camino or planning their Camino Happy New Year! Shana Tovah! שנה טובה !!! On the Camino one may quickly lose all sense of time so this is just a little reminder, the New Year celebration falls Sunday evening allowing you the Sabbath and Sunday morning to get into the proper spirit and to find some apples and honey! Gefilte fish you won't find on the Camino, but maybe that's a good thing! The Google Guru knows to inform one that there are no active synagogues in Northern Spain. Closest ones are in Madrid with a wide selection of Orthodox, Masorti, and of course the ubiquitous Chabad House. After 500 years very little remains of anything actual Jewish along the CF, so you will be on your own. YouTube and the 'net have many recordings of the Shofar if you are really into that sort of thing. Happy New Year!

upload_2015-9-11_8-23-4.png

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For all my Jewish Brethren both on the Camino on the way to the Camino or planning their Camino Happy New Year! Shana Tovah! שנה טובה !!! On the Camino one may quickly lose all sense of time so this is just a little reminder, the New Year celebration falls Sunday evening allowing you the Sabbath and Sunday morning to get into the proper spirit and to find some apples and honey! Gefilte fish you won't find on the Camino, but maybe that's a good thing! The Google Guru knows to inform one that there are no active synagogues in Northern Spain. Closest ones are in Madrid with a wide selection of Orthodox, Masorti, and of course the ubiquitous Chabad House. After 500 years very little remains of anything actual Jewish along the CF, so you will be on your own. YouTube and the 'net have many recordings of the Shofar if you are really into that sort of thing. Happy New Year!

View attachment 21038
Hi Scruffy , wish you a happy new year.
Wish you well, Peter.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

View attachment 21038
I just noticed that you live in Jerusalem. I am a 72 year old Irishman who has cycled the Camino Francis in 2011. My ambition is to either cycle or walk from Nazareth to Bethlehem; arriving in Bethlehem on Christmas morning. Do you think that it would be possible, or would I be taking a serious risk? Would the Israeli authorities allow it?

@scruffy1 , l'shanah tovah. May you be inscribed in the Book of Life. I wish I could share my tree's honey crisp apples and honey with you!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
For me, an important part of travel is finding sites of Jewish history and culture, old and new. On my two Caminos, I have been aided by this wonderful website, "Caminos de Sefarad, Red de Juderias de España: www.redjuderias.org.

As you walk into Leon, just before Puente Castro, site of the original Leon Jewish community, you will pass a church that has been turned into a visitor's center for peregrinos. It houses a fascinating exhibit called "Un Camino, Tres Culturas" that deals with the Roman, Jewish, and Christian presence in Leon. I found it in reverse, by taking a city bus from Leon center to Puente Castro, and had a wonderful chat with the very knowledgeable docent/greeter.

In addition, you will find "hints" of long ago Jewish presence all along the Camino, calles and barrios that still bear the name "judería," and mentions in guidebooks of thriving communities that unfortunately met violent and tragic ends. Estella and Viana, for example, were the sites of terrible massacres of Jewish communities in the 14th century.

If you fly in or out of Barcelona, please visit what is now considered one of the oldest synagogues in Europe, dating from the 3rd century: "Sinagoga Major de Barcelona" in Carrer Marlet. It is a fascinating building with a rich and interesting history.

l'Shana Tova to all!

For me, an important part of travel is finding sites of Jewish history and culture, old and new. On my two Caminos, I have been aided by this wonderful website, "Caminos de Sefarad, Red de Juderias de España: www.redjuderias.org.

As you walk into Leon, just before Puente Castro, site of the original Leon Jewish community, you will pass a church that has been turned into a visitor's center for peregrinos. It houses a fascinating exhibit called "Un Camino, Tres Culturas" that deals with the Roman, Jewish, and Christian presence in Leon. I found it in reverse, by taking a city bus from Leon center to Puente Castro, and had a wonderful chat with the very knowledgeable docent/greeter.

In addition, you will find "hints" of long ago Jewish presence all along the Camino, calles and barrios that still bear the name "judería," and mentions in guidebooks of thriving communities that unfortunately met violent and tragic ends. Estella and Viana, for example, were the sites of terrible massacres of Jewish communities in the 14th century.

If you fly in or out of Barcelona, please visit what is now considered one of the oldest synagogues in Europe, dating from the 3rd century: "Sinagoga Major de Barcelona" in Carrer Marlet. It is a fascinating building with a rich and interesting history.

l'Shana Tova to all!

@design4life - I attempted to do the same when I walked in 2013! -- Soy peregrina judia tambien. The history is pretty brutal.

In effort to add a little light humor, my reports back to friends and family pretty much went like this:
"Estella - our people did not fair well here...." "Castrillos Matajudios - May be good to passover this town..."

I leave in October to walk Ponferrada to Santiago. Anything memorable in the last 200Km?

l'Shana Tova Peregrinos Judios.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

@MIAPilgrim - One of our strengths has always been our ability to laugh in the midst of tragedy, yes?

I haven't yet walked those last 200km. Hoping for fall 2016. But I did spend Rosh Hashanah 2014 in Ventosa. It was kind of bittersweet -- missed my family but was so happy to be walking in such beautiful countryside, among the endless grapevines, ready for harvesting. (My mom passed away a week later, while I was in Barcelona. It was expected, but still ... )

I think it was also important to be aware that the Camino embodies the best of our humanity, but also that so much violence has been committed in the name of religion. I believe that understanding a fuller and more complex story enriches us, and helps us do better and be better.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@MIAPilgrim - One of our strengths has always been our ability to laugh in the midst of tragedy, yes?

I haven't yet walked those last 200km. Hoping for fall 2016. But I did spend Rosh Hashanah 2014 in Ventosa. It was kind of bittersweet -- missed my family but was so happy to be walking in such beautiful countryside, among the endless gravevines, ready for harvesting. (My mom passed away a week later, while I was in Barcelona. It was expected, but still ... )

I think it was also important to be aware that the Camino embodies the best of our humanity, but also that so much violence has been committed in the name of religion. I believe that understanding a fuller and more complex story enriches us, and helps us do better and be better.

@design4life - Well said....

So very sorry for the loss of you mom. I lost my mom a few months ago. Even when expected, we can never truly prepare....

And on the eve of this New Year, no matter where we are, and the distances between us; Regardless of our backgrounds, faiths or beliefs, the Camino and its humanity unites us. Reflection and prayers for Denise and the Thiem family will weigh heavily on my heart this High Holiday.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just noticed that you live in Jerusalem. I am a 72 year old Irishman who has cycled the Camino Francis in 2011. My ambition is to either cycle or walk from Nazareth to Bethlehem; arriving in Bethlehem on Christmas morning. Do you think that it would be possible, or would I be taking a serious risk? Would the Israeli authorities allow it?
The biggest risk would be from the Israeli drivers! I would not recommend going straight North but through the Jordan Valley which would allow you to visit the traditional site where Jesus was baptised by John the B. Don't expect the River Shannon, the Jordan River may be almost dry. Look here too, The Jesus Trail, a hiking path from Nazerath to Capernaum including the Mount of Beatitudes. http://jesustrail.com/

l'Shana Tova to all!

l'Shana Tova to all!
And Najera and Astorga and Burgos. Many many echos of echos but nothing for real. I always find the park which was once a Jewish Cemetary as you enter Astorga the most moving, always stop and say a prayer. Most good sized places, go to the cathedral or the church, the Spanish authorities liked to keep the Jews close by and under a watchful eye!

What a slip -- Re-reading, I realize I said "gravevines" instead of grapevines. I guess I did have death in mind when I wrote the post. However, at the time, I was pretty blissed out by the Rioja region. It was that point on the camino where the exhaustion and blisters of the first stretch were beginning to recede and I was hitting my stride (literally.)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
And on the eve of this New Year, no matter where we are, and the distances between us; Regardless of our backgrounds, faiths or beliefs, the Camino and its humanity unites us. Reflection and prayers for Denise and the Thiem family will weigh heavily on my heart this High Holiday.

Amen to that, MIAPilgrim. Thank you.

I'm not Jewish but let me wish you a Happy New Year!

The Google Guru knows to inform one that there are no active synagogues in Northern Spain.

I'm not sure if they'll have a sinagogue as such but there's an active Jewish community in Oviedo: www.sefarad-asturias.org/eng-index2.html For services, take a look at www.sefarad-asturias.org/eng-shabbat.html

"Castrillos Matajudios - May be good to passover this town..."

Last June, they changed the name of the town. Nowadays it's called Castrillo Mota de Judíos.

I'm not Jewish but let me wish you a Happy New Year!

I'm not sure if they'll have a sinagogue as such but there's an active Jewish community in Oviedo: www.sefarad-asturias.org/eng-index2.html For services, take a look at www.sefarad-asturias.org/eng-shabbat.html

Last June, they changed the name of the town. Nowadays it's called Castrillo Mota de Judíos.

@Castilian. Yes saw this name change to "Hill of the Jews".
I tend to favor this new name over its former "Matajudios", meaning "Kill the Jews"

FYI - "Mota" is also slang for marijuana.
So "Castrillo Mota de Judios"-- Not opposed to that meaning either -- Ha :)

All kidding aside, it was certainly a nice change. I personally love Spain. I have spent much time for work and vacation; would live in Spain if the opportunity arose.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back