• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone walked with a front pack?

DanfromSydney

DanfromSydney
Time of past OR future Camino
2016 (Frances); 2017 from Lourdes to Santiago
I'm carrying a guitar on my back and wondered if anyone had carried a front pack.
Brands? Capacity?
I'd appreciate your thoughts .....

thanks Dan

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Front pack? Could be done, do try first at home since with any sort of pack, balance is the key when even carrying only a small weight. So 4-5k of guitar on your back plus 8-10k strapped on from the front is not a promising solution. As for myself, a front pack always makes me feel even more overweight, even more clumsy since I can't see my feet-disastrous for me coming downhill, and even more out-of-breath while ascending-a problem many of us ex-smokers share. Give your idea a vigorous try at home first, if money is no problem, you could always have your pack transported every day and carry just the guitar.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There are those, myself included, who favor shifting some carried weight from rear to front to balance the load. In shifting the weight, you improve your walking balance and the load on both your shoulders and hips. It really does make a difference after five or six hours walking. At least that is what my hips, knees and ankles tell me.

The New Zealand company (AARN.co.nz) makes an outstanding line of technical rucksacks that feature something called "balance packs." These are boxy, 3-liter nylon sacks attached to the front of their proprietary rucksack harness. The packs are large enough to hold 1.5 liter water bottles, a pair of shoes, etc.

The Aussies and Kiwis I observe with these rucksack systems rave about them. I have tried to source them in the US, but they are very expensive and hard to obtain. Perhaps Aarn's distribution system has improved, but I have not seen them more prevalently on my recent Caminos.

I understand that these balance packs may also be available separately for strapping to conventional rucksack harnesses. But, I have not yet seen this done.

BTW, FYI, and apropros of nothing, the folks who own these advanced and very clever rucksack systems tell me that they also call the front balance packs "Pamelas." Evidently, this is a reference to Ms. Pamela Anderson, late of the TV Baywatch series "fame." Hmmm?

Personally, I shift weight by a two-part approach:

1. I carry 4 x .5 liter water bottles on Nite-Ize "Clip & Sip" brackets. These stainless steel / inox clips clamp about the neck of the plastic bottle and allow me to hang the bottles from the front of my harness, at the sternum strap, shoulder straps or on my waist. For reference, one-half liter is one-half kilogram. So, four bottles would be two kg shifted from rear to front.

2. I wear a cuban fiber," Z-Packs," 3-liter capacity "4-in-1 Pack" as a front pack. Originally it rode high like a chest pack, about one-fist below the sternum strap. Then it moved in subsequent Caminos to a "belly pack," over...well...my belly. But, there, it bounced too much...chuckle..

Having finally figured out the optimum way for ME to access and use this very versatile bag, I now hang it in front of my rucksack belt snap buckle. The two straps are affixed to split "O" rings attached to the lower shoulder strap buckle at the end of the waist strap, where it meets the main rucksack. The result looks like a 'sporran' (that purse-like thing that men wear with a kilt). OMG, I hope I got that metaphor right?!

This front-riding sack carries items I KNOW I will use during the day. This includes: my ultralight poncho, fruit, nuts, chocolate, hydration / salt tablets to add to water, guidebook, a sun-hat to switch off with my ball cap, and sometimes my iPhone.

The pack is only available from the Florida manufacturer, a small garage operation. It comes with all the hardware you need to mount, attach and carry this bag in virtually any conceivable manner. The bag is completely set up for maximum flexibility.

It is called the "4-in-1 bag" because it can be attached to the top of your rucksack, carried to the side for touring using the provided longer straps, attached to your harness, or used as a stuff sack. Lord knows these are only the things I have though of. The possibilities are limited by your imagination.

Here is the web site: http://zpacks.com/accessories/backpack_lid.shtml

The Cuban fiber material is highly water resistant and the quality is outstanding. The pack is also machine washable (cold, gentle, line dry).

I hope this helps.

... The New Zealand company (AARN.co.nz) makes an outstanding line of technical rucksacks that feature something called "balance packs." These are boxy, 3-liter nylon sacks attached to the front of their proprietary rucksack harness. The packs are large enough to hold 1.5 liter water bottles, a pair of shoes, etc.

The Aussies and Kiwis I observe with these rucksack systems rave about them. I have tried to source them in the US, but they are very expensive and hard to obtain. Perhaps Aarn's distribution system has improved, but I have not seen them more prevalently on my recent Caminos.

Try these "balance packs." Expensive, and smaller than the Aarn balance packs, but the shape and placement are right. There are left-side and right-side packs. They hang from the shoulder strap, and secure to the waist belt in two locations.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Try these "balance packs." Expensive, and smaller than the Aarn balance packs, but the shape and placement are right. There are left-side and right-side packs. They hang from the shoulder strap, and secure to the waist belt in two locations.

I believe there are a couple of flaws in the design of the Radical Design bag. As cool as it appears, the shape is not efficient. IMHO, something rectangular is more efficient.

Also, the bag is rather large (vertically) for it's stated 1.5 liter volume. The Z-Packs bag is rated at 3.5 liters.

In addition, one Z-Packs '4-in-1 Pack' holding 3.5 liters costs less than half what the equivalent volume two Radical Design bags would cost., unless I missed something.

Finally, I had a problem with too much coverage on my torso producing added heat and perspiration. The low carry position I ultimately adopted with the Z-Packs back (the Sporran look) worked the best for me. The Radical Design bags cannot be worn this way.

Other than that, and perhaps for a tall, thin person, who does not sweat, the Radical Design bags are another possible solution.

I hope this helps.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked the VdlP with an Aarn pack last year. After a few kilometres I barely noticed it, the balance was so good. It enables you to walk in a more upright fashion so posture, balance and even breathing is better. There plenty of info on their website. And I had a small breakage, which they dealt with promptly. Great after purchase service. The pack won't help you carry a guitar though...

The New Zealand company (AARN.co.nz) makes an outstanding line of technical rucksacks that feature something called "balance packs." These are boxy, 3-liter nylon sacks attached to the front of their proprietary rucksack harness. The packs are large enough to hold 1.5 liter water bottles, a pair of shoes, etc.

I know a lot of people say these packs are great, but I was just watching the videos on their website.
https://www.aarnpacks.com/light-all-purpose-day-pack

Two things strike me. They look very complicated to adjust, and
I wouldn't be able to see my feet! Disaster going down steep sections.

Maybe some Aarn users could comment? @Kanga ?

I know a lot of people say these packs are great, but I was just watching the videos on their website.
https://www.aarnpacks.com/light-all-purpose-day-pack

Two things strike me. They look very complicated to adjust, and

Maybe some Aarn users could comment? @Kanga ?

We have used Aarn packs for three caminos and countless long bushwalks. My husband uses the balance packs on front. He carries all the water for both of us plus camera and a few other things in the front. The don't cover the whole front of you so you can still see your feet go go downhill. He swears by the front-back splitting of the weight. I don't use the balance packs because it felt too bulky in addition to my female profile. The Aarn packs are very easy to fit and adjust, and to put on and off during the day. You just fit them properly when you first get them (using a video to get it right) and they are then like a part of your body - amazing. And when I had serious spinal surgery that changed me, I just re-fitted mine to my new self. As you can see we are big fans and having taken a deep breath because of the initial cost, we feel that they are very good value for money. One more thing - they are totally waterproof - they claim you can float them down a river without the contents getting wet, and we have never used a pack cover in some really torrential downpours and day-after-day rain and everything stayed dry.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We have used Aarn packs for three caminos and countless long bushwalks. My husband uses the balance packs on front. He carries all the water for both of us plus camera and a few other things in the front. The don't cover the whole front of you so you can still see your feet go go downhill. He swears by the front-back splitting of the weight. I don't use the balance packs because it felt too bulky in addition to my female profile. The Aarn packs are very easy to fit and adjust, and to put on and off during the day. You just fit them properly when you first get them (using a video to get it right) and they are then like a part of your body - amazing. And when I had serious spinal surgery that changed me, I just re-fitted mine to my new self. As you can see we are big fans and having taken a deep breath because of the initial cost, we feel that they are very good value for money. One more thing - they are totally waterproof - they claim you can float them down a river without the contents getting wet, and we have never used a pack cover in some really torrential downpours and day-after-day rain and everything stayed dry.

Which versions of the packs do you use? I might take a look at one.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Here is a photo of her with her AARN pack. View attachment 34341
The vigorous looking young man in the photo only confirms my personal opinion concerning a front pack. I cannot see myself coming down into Roncesvalles, slip-sliding down from Alto del Perdón, climbing up from Castrojeriz in such a configurement. But that's only me, if it works for you, go for it.

My experience was similar - no problem seeing my feet - but then they're somewhat large! The only possible problem is when you need to hug a wall or something closely - but they recommend undoing the balance pockets and allowing them to swing to the sides. The built in dry bags are great!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The vigorous looking young man in the photo only confirms my personal opinion concerning a front pack. I cannot see myself coming down into Roncesvalles, slip-sliding down from Alto del Perdón, climbing up from Castrojeriz in such a configurement. But that's only me, if it works for you, go for it.
Not sure which young man you're referring to. These are all women. lol!
but I agree - I couldn't wear a front pack...

Not sure which young man you're referring to. These are all women. lol!
but I agree - I couldn't wear a front pack...
Oh Dear and Me oh My!! You are absolutely correct! That Lawrence of Arabia desert hat threw me off!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Which versions of the packs do you use? I might take a look at one.

I'm pretty sure the name was Featherlight Freedom and 35 litres. There was also a larger model (called something different, I can't remember the name), which my husband bought at first, but it was too long for him - he's about 5ft 9. So he changed it for the same model as mine. Depends how tall you are which one would suit your frame (but having the smaller one also helps to keep the load lighter as you have to keep your pack list down).

I'm pretty sure the name was Featherlight Freedom and 35 litres. There was also a larger model (called something different, I can't remember the name), which my husband bought at first, but it was too long for him - he's about 5ft 9. So he changed it for the same model as mine. Depends how tall you are which one would suit your frame (but having the smaller one also helps to keep the load lighter as you have to keep your pack list down).

Also I have just noticed you are from Sydney - we got ours in Sydney.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Front pack? Could be done, do try first at home since with any sort of pack, balance is the key when even carrying only a small weight. So 4-5k of guitar on your back plus 8-10k strapped on from the front is not a promising solution. As for myself, a front pack always makes me feel even more overweight, even more clumsy since I can't see my feet-disastrous for me coming downhill, and even more out-of-breath while ascending-a problem many of us ex-smokers share. Give your idea a vigorous try at home first, if money is no problem, you could always have your pack transported every day and carry just the guitar.
Thanks Scruffy - much appreciated. The guitar in its case is 3.8kg and very small. with a few things packed into the guitar case I'm looking at about 6.5. I don't think I'll be taking 8-10 on my front, more like another 2 ~ water, phone, spectacles, guidebook.

i appreciate your advice. Might give it a rip around the Harbour this weekend. Cheers, Dan

There are those, myself included, who favor shifting some carried weight from rear to front to balance the load. In shifting the weight, you improve your walking balance and the load on both your shoulders and hips. It really does make a difference after five or six hours walking. At least that is what my hips, knees and ankles tell me.

I understand that these balance packs may also be available separately for strapping to conventional rucksack harnesses. But, I have not yet seen this done.

BTW, FYI, and apropros of nothing, the folks who own these advanced and very clever rucksack systems tell me that they also call the front balance packs "Pamelas." Evidently, this is a reference to Ms. Pamela Anderson, late of the TV Baywatch series "fame." Hmmm?

Personally, I shift weight by a two-part approach:

1. I carry 4 x .5 liter water bottles on Nite-Ize "Clip & Sip" brackets. These stainless steel / inox clips clamp about the neck of the plastic bottle and allow me to hang the bottles from the front of my harness, at the sternum strap, shoulder straps or on my waist. For reference, one-half liter is one-half kilogram. So, four bottles would be two kg shifted from rear to front.

2. I wear a cuban fiber," Z-Packs," 3-liter capacity "4-in-1 Pack" as a front pack. Originally it rode high like a chest pack, about one-fist below the sternum strap. Then it moved in subsequent Caminos to a "belly pack," over...well...my belly. But, there, it bounced too much...chuckle..

Having finally figured out the optimum way for ME to access and use this very versatile bag, I now hang it in front of my rucksack belt snap buckle. The two straps are affixed to split "O" rings attached to the lower shoulder strap buckle at the end of the waist strap, where it meets the main rucksack. The result looks like a 'sporran' (that purse-like thing that men wear with a kilt). OMG, I hope I got that metaphor right?!

This front-riding sack carries items I KNOW I will use during the day. This includes: my ultralight poncho, fruit, nuts, chocolate, hydration / salt tablets to add to water, guidebook, a sun-hat to switch off with my ball cap, and sometimes my iPhone.

The pack is only available from the Florida manufacturer, a small garage operation. It comes with all the hardware you need to mount, attach and carry this bag in virtually any conceivable manner. The bag is completely set up for maximum flexibility.

It is called the "4-in-1 bag" because it can be attached to the top of your rucksack, carried to the side for touring using the provided longer straps, attached to your harness, or used as a stuff sack. Lord knows these are only the things I have though of. The possibilities are limited by your imagination.

Here is the web site: http://zpacks.com/accessories/backpack_lid.shtml

The Cuban fiber material is highly water resistant and the quality is outstanding. The pack is also machine washable (cold, gentle, line dry).

I hope this helps.
Thanks Tom - that's awesome. I have some homework to do ..buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked the VdlP with an Aarn pack last year. After a few kilometres I barely noticed it, the balance was so good. It enables you to walk in a more upright fashion so posture, balance and even breathing is better. There plenty of info on their website. And I had a small breakage, which they dealt with promptly. Great after purchase service. The pack won't help you carry a guitar though...
THanks Hikoi - I'm onto it ....cheers Dan

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks Scruffy - much appreciated. The guitar in its case is 3.8kg and very small. with a few things packed into the guitar case I'm looking at about 6.5. I don't think I'll be taking 8-10 on my front, more like another 2 ~ water, phone, spectacles, guidebook.

i appreciate your advice. Might give it a rip around the Harbour this weekend. Cheers, Dan
Give my regards to Manly if you are going that way, Rose Bay and Bondi Beach if that way!

I'm carrying a guitar on my back and wondered if anyone had carried a front pack.
Brands? Capacity?
I'd appreciate your thoughts .....

thanks Dan
Buy a soprano ukulele?
I remember a group of 7 Italians in 2012 that had a Dreadnaught guitar with them. They drew straws every day and the loser got to carry the guitar all day.

hi t2andreo, they are expensive indeed but very well designed and built. Interestingly enough, although I live in NZ I bought one from a US distributor back in the 2013. It was a year older model, but even considering the exchange rate and shipping it was less expensive than buying one here :-( I can't remember the distributor's name but it was from Colorado.
Cheers,
Carlos

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
can’t help myself on this question the Aarn packs and [universal] balance bags are wonderful ... a simple, perfect design ... and beautifully-made too.

I walked the LePuy route last year with them attached to my small Osprey daypack and absolutely loved it ... the idea of balancing your load by having some weight at the front is so smart ... and the access the bags provide for all the necessities on the path ... brilliant!

Other friends of mine who also walked the Le Puy route over 5 or 6 weeks also had Aarn packs [integrated backpack and frint balance bags] and were very impressed with them ... we were Aarn groupies when we arrived together at StJPP ... huge fan, enough said

can’t help myself on this question the Aarn packs and [universal] balance bags are wonderful ... a simple, perfect design ... and beautifully-made too.

I walked the LePuy route last year with them attached to my small Osprey daypack and absolutely loved it ... the idea of balancing your load by having some weight at the front is so smart ... and the access the bags provide for all the necessities on the path ... brilliant!

Other friends of mine who also walked the Le Puy route over 5 or 6 weeks also had Aarn packs [integrated backpack and frint balance bags] and were very impressed with them ... we were Aarn groupies when we arrived together at StJPP ... huge fan, enough said
Hey BlackRocker57 ~~ thank you so much for your advice. My problem is I am not carrying an Aarn backpack. I'm carrying a guitar case on my back so there's no way to attach the Aarn packs to the back as it were!
We're working on it
Thanks for your advice ~ much appreciated
Dan

Buy a soprano ukulele?
I remember a group of 7 Italians in 2012 that had a Dreadnaught guitar with them. They drew straws every day and the loser got to carry the guitar all day.
Hey Jeff - I bought a little parlour guitar and it weighs just 1.7kgs so I should be ok
No straws on my Camino - just me! Thanks for the feedback and buen camino my friend

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Give my regards to Manly if you are going that way, Rose Bay and Bondi Beach if that way!
Hey Scruffy - I live in Lilyfield, about 4ks from Sydney's CBD - as part of my walking and preparing for the Camino I walk to Bronte and dive in the ocean. I know Bondi Beach (lived there for seven years), Rose Bay (had a little 27ft harbour cruiser moored there for nine years) and Manly, well, it's heaven.
Great to hear from you - I'll think of you when I walk to my Camino-prep destinations!!!

I walked Camino Frances with a naively heavy 14+kg pack (had to pull it some way due to an injury). I walked the Ingles with a heavier 18+kg pack split between a backpack and front pack. (It was a test for a longer future walk with tent etc).

Although the Ingles is obviously a much shorter camino (tougher in some stretches), at no time did the heavier total weight feel worse than the lighter load. Balance was better, weight distribution better, no feet or trail visibility issues.

I highly recommend a front pack arrangement, almost whatever the total weight.

Next camino is being planned with a far more sensible total weight of 4kg (plus water), but even that I plan to carry as 3kg in lumbar pack, water in SourceGear back bladder and 1kg in front pack.

I've used the Aarn Featherlight Freedom with front balance packs since 2003. Absolutely love it. Would not change to another brand if you paid me!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked Camino Frances with a naively heavy 14+kg pack (had to pull it some way due to an injury). I walked the Ingles with a heavier 18+kg pack split between a backpack and front pack. (It was a test for a longer future walk with tent etc).

Although the Ingles is obviously a much shorter camino (tougher in some stretches), at no time did the heavier total weight feel worse than the lighter load. Balance was better, weight distribution better, no feet or trail visibility issues.

I highly recommend a front pack arrangement, almost whatever the total weight.

Next camino is being planned with a far more sensible total weight of 4kg (plus water), but even that I plan to carry as 3kg in lumbar pack, water in SourceGear back bladder and 1kg in front pack.

Sounds interesting - which lumber pack are you going to use and have you settled on your packing list yet?

I'm tempted to use my MountainSmith Day pack (13 litres) but can't quite fit everything I'd like - I tend to go with one on, one clean and one just in case.

which lumber pack are you going to use
I have a North Face Sport Hiker which is 9litres and 680g

I'm finalising my packing list after which the test pack. I would normally follow your approach on clothes. But I think I will have to omit the "one in case". I will update with test pack results, hopefully at weekend.

Carrying my water in the bladder frees up some external pocket space, as does the front pack.

The Sport Hiker has a couple of useful external straps (I guess the other models do as well), which I plan to use attach rain gear to the top, or possibly bottom of the lumbar pack. Again freeing up space inside the pack itself.

Will let you know how it goes

I have a North Face Sport Hiker which is 9litres and 680g

I'm finalising my packing list after which the test pack. I would normally follow your approach on clothes. But I think I will have to omit the "one in case". I will update with test pack results, hopefully at weekend.

Carrying my water in the bladder frees up some external pocket space, as does the front pack.

The Sport Hiker has a couple of useful external straps (I guess the other models do as well), which I plan to use attach rain gear to the top, or possibly bottom of the lumbar pack. Again freeing up space inside the pack itself.

Will let you know how it goes

That looks interesting - about the size of MountainSmith's Tour pack (9 litres) - I've just read a review on the SH where somebody did a 5 day hike across Death Valley using one so the Ingles should be a piece of cake!

I was torn between the Tour and my Day pack which, oddly considering the name, has 50% more space and comes with shock cord across the face, two straps below which will take my Altus and optional "strapettes" to turn it into a mini backpack.

I'm sure you're right - for the Ingles a one+one approach should be adequate - I shall experiment over the weekend too.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So, today's trial walk.

Laid everything out and discovered what a numpty I am - I was trying to pack three days worth of clothes in forgetting I'd be wearing one set . . .

If I albergue it then:

layout 1.JPG

That's a down throw, wash bag, flip flops, rain jacket, travel towel, 2 t-shirts, 1 long sleeve t-shirt, 2 pair socks, 2 pair pants. Couldn't be bothered to unfold my Altus.
Towel is far too big - 150 x 85cms so would swap for smaller (and lighter) size.
Obviously some bits and pieces missing but good enough for a first effort.

It rolls down to this:

rolled 2.JPG

(jacket, socks/shirt/pants x 2, down throw, towel, long sleeve t, flip flops, wash bag)

and fits in quite well - rain jacket is in right hand water bottle holder, Altus is slung underneath.

pack 3.JPG

On the other hand if I follow Faith of FaithNate fame and stay in hostales I won't need the down throw but will keep the smaller towel (big guys need big towels I've found).

So, basically golden then!

Went out for a 10km hike through nearby woods, gentle hills, gravel tracks and the only time I really knew it was there was trying to slide through a kissing gate (for non GB readers https://www.jacksons-fencing.co.uk/...ootpath-r.o.w.-demarcation-kissing-gates.aspx

Looks slightly odd under an Altus (no, I'm not posting a photo), makes me look like I've an enormous . . . bustle, but I really think this will work for me.

My trial pack was successful - reasonably anyway

The chest pack sits good height on the cross strap of the water bladder straps.

I did find that the lumbar pack sits too low - for my comfort anyway - without using the shoulder strap (not shown), which keeps it as a lumbar pack and stops it sliding down the bum ! Shoulder strap clips to 2 D-rings at top rear of pack, not visible in photos. Passing the strap through the top handle makes it sit very well.

Water bladder sits nicely quite high on back so it doesn't interfere with the lumbar pack. I like that there is no water weight in the lumbar pack or on hips.

Summary :
Lumbar pack 3,128g
Chest pack 1,915g
Water bladder inc 2l water 2,534g
Wearing 2,581g
Skin-Out incl 2ltr water 10,158g

PDF pack list attached and photos below. chest pack, lumbar pack and water bladder :

2017-08-06 17.25.10.jpg 2017-08-06 16.18.14.jpg 2017-08-06 16.17.49-1.jpg 2017-08-06 16.17.24.jpg 2017-08-06 16.17.55.jpg

Attachments

• Camino 2017 Lite Checklist 12days.pdf
    44.4 KB · Views: 5
I did find that the lumbar pack sits too low - for my comfort anyway - without using the shoulder strap (not shown), which keeps it as a lumbar pack and stops it sliding down the bum !

A very common problem with lumbar packs. Glad to hear the water bag and lumbar pack "played well together." :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Nicely done!
I had similar problems with "pack droop" until I fitted the strapettes (think of a cross between men's braces/suspenders and a rucksack harness). The single shoulder strap is attached by two nylon side buckles, that comes off and the strapettes use the same female halves of the buckles at the rear and there's a "loop & toggle" fitting at the front. There are also compression straps that snug the pack body closer to my back.
If you weren't wearing the bladder on the back you could probably achieve the same effect with some heavy duty braces - you'll find them on eBay, 50mm wide elastic straps with viscious looking clips that could go onto the D rings at the back and waist belt at the front. I have some but with a rather fetching decoration of mini Father Christmases printed on them hence the reason for buying the strapettes!
Like the packing list but I'd never trust my passport/credential/cards to anything that I could be separated from - mine reside in a leg cargo pocket.
Have dumped out the down throw and oversized towel which means the rain jacket can sit inside and the two water bottle holders can hold a 750ml container each.
In fact I now have "spare" room inside the pack and caught myself thinking "mmm, space, I could take . . . . " NO! Not much weighs less than air so air it shall be.
Off for a stoll after lunch to see what difference it makes.

"Pack droop" : a curious affliction affecting ambitious ultra-lite hikers !

Thanks for the tips - will research those. And you've made me think whether the D-rings can attach to the lower straps of the water bladder. Not sure if I want them to be linked together - pro's and con's. But the close proximity of the bottom of the water bladder to the top of the lumbar pack make this interesting to explore.

My critical docs live in a 1ltr waterproof sack from Overboard. Normally inside the front pack but they could be in a cargo pocket. I just hate things in my trousers pockets while walking. Personal sensitivity ! When I am in a bar or in evening, I normally do put in trousers. But front cargo pack normally goes everywhere with me anyway unless I am in a secure hotel/B&B.

Not much weighs less than air so air it shall be.
Indeed ! Wise principle. But I understand the temptation. Was wondering about sneaking the ipad into the front pack, but pretty sure I won't use it much.

To most effectively counter the droop, the shoulder strap(s) should connect to the top-front of the pack (away from the body) rather than the top-back (against the body). This pulls the pack up, and into the small of the back. The accompanying problem is that the strap(s) angle progressively away from the shoulder(s), running the risk of becoming 'brush-and-bush-catchers.'

Last edited:
Thanks @Glenn Rowe
I did a test of connection to the bottom of the waterbladder but it only partly worked
I think shoulder strap is the solution
Although I also found I had not used the side tension straps to cinch the pack top inwards - doh!
Together it sits very well
Problem solved it seems. Will know for sure after some more test walks

Off topic but I love your
My Camino podcasts Dan. I am listening to them for inspiration while doing my training walks for my upcoming camino.

Thanks @Glenn Rowe
I did a test of connection to the bottom of the waterbladder but it only partly worked
I think shoulder strap is the solution
Although I also found I had not used the side tension straps to cinch the pack top inwards - doh!
Together it sits very well
Problem solved it seems. Will know for sure after some more test walks
Here's what the strapettes look like from behind

Day pack with strapettes.jpg

they're pretty good on my taller pack but might be a stretch on the North Face although it works on their Tour pack which is about the same size. Those front strap fixings are a little odd though:

strapettes.jpg
that flattened figure of eight gizmo threads through a squared off D ring and locks in place. Pretty much useless for all but their own packs - which I guess is the point.

There was a discussion a few weeks back about braces/suspenders in lieu of a belt - one guy came up with a set of US surplus straps that might be a work around.

In conclusion, thanks for the inspiration - it'll be my pack of choice for the Ingles but I found a blog from a guy called Michael who did the whole 500 miles of the CF with just the MtSmith 14 litre pack! Sadly he didn't list his equipment!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks for the illustration - very useful

I'll think about this some after doing more test walks

If I see the illustration correctly, Jeff's "strapettes" would work better if they were attached to the grab-handle that is away from the body rather than the one that is next to the body. Don't know if that's possible.

@Jeff Crawley, I wouldn't discount those 'flattened figure-8 gizmos' quite so quickly; they are surprisingly versatile. I think I may be the guy who came up with the surplus US M-1951 suspenders. I'm not sure they'd work for this application. Not saying they wouldn't -- just that I'm not certain.

Wish I still had the pics of the rig I created/used way-back-when, based on the canvas US M-1961 field (aka "butt-") pack. Though it'd be too heavy for today, it might have served as a springboard into some good ideas.

Last edited:
If I see the illustration correctly, Jeff's "strapettes" would work better if they were attached to the grab-handle that is away from the body rather than the one that is next to the body. Don't know if that's possible.

@Jeff Crawley, I wouldn't discount those 'flattened figure-8 gizmos' quite so quickly; they are surprisingly versatile. I think I may be the guy who came up with the surplus US M-1951 suspenders. I'm not sure they'd work for this application. Not saying they wouldn't -- just that I'm not certain.

Wish I still had the pics of the rig I created/used way-back-when, based on the canvas US M-1961 field (aka "butt-") pack. Though it'd be too heavy for today, it might have served as a springboard into some good ideas.
Hi Glenn,
Yep, it WAS you ;)
The strapettes (stupid name but that's what MtSmith market them as) don't connect to the grap handles but to separate tags with nylon side buckles pre-installed on the face that's nearest your back.
I had one of those butt-packs as a school bag (a relative worked as civilian staff at a US military base here in the UK!) - it had a lot of street cred and everyone was SO jealous. Thinking about it, it was probably the grand-daddy of the "lumbar pack" I have now.

€83,-
Aarn has a US distributor, aarn-usa.com, very good communications.

I picked up a Mountain Magic pack. The front "balance pockets" do not convert to a day pack like @Kanga's Featherlite's do.

They look very complicated to adjust,

They do look that way, but I've found it pretty easy to deal with. Definitely not as simple as slinging back my Osprey. My favorite part of the Aarn web site suggests (in a charmingly passive-aggressive way) that the appearance of complexity is a marketing problem. In the quick troubleshooting guide, under "Bodypack is too hard to put on", Aarn suggests as a possible cause: "I do not have the coordination anymore to master this simple sequence." o_O

The balance pockets are loose on the front of the pack, and you can see between them to your feet and the ground.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back