• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Have you walked the camino after a significant weight gain?

Miaka

Time of past OR future Camino
Next: VdLP 2024
I have an illness that causes me to rapidly gain weight when I am stressed and makes it a really slow process to get rid of it later.
In January, I gained 10 kgs within a month and now I am a bit worried about it. My last camino I was not only 20 kgs lighter but also, I was at that constant weight for a few years by then. I am a firm believer that while weight DOES matter, the length of time I have had that weight also matters as my muscles would have time to get used to it. But this time... there is no time. I am booked and ready for next wednesday. Anyone has experience with this?

Thank you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If by next Wednesday you mean 10 days from now, then I would try to have a chat with your doctor. I'm not sure when your last camino was, but an increase is 20 kg of body weight is not insignificant. Sounds like you have a diagnosis, so perhaps you've already had that conversation -- if so, then follow your doctor's advice. Regardless of weight, everyone should know the signs of a heart attack (not trying to add to your stress, just stating a fact that many overlook).

Be aware of your limitations, take it easy (especially in the beginning), be ruthless about reducing your pack weight, take care of your feet, drink before you are thirsty, and ask for help when you need it. Take care of yourself and may your camino be stress and anxiety free. Good luck and buen camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good luck Miaka. I empathize and echo the wise advice to continue consulting your doctor.

I am not a professional, so please listen to your health provider and not me. But from experience with weight fluctuation, a few thoughts...

1) Shoes. Sometimes feet change size with weight gain. It can be imperceptible until you're out walking. If that is your case and you haven't had time to test new ones, you might look at bringing a back-up pair with some give, like hiking sandals, or explore different lacing patterns to relieve pressure.

2) Pack. It might need adjustment or replacement. If you are using one from before, the weight can sit on your body differently depending on how or where you gain (everyone being different).

3) Gait. Sometimes the way you walk can also change with weight gain. Also imperceptibly, leading to surprising new problems and hot spots. I don't know if yours has, and a health professional could guide you there. Walking poles can sometimes help normalize things.

I hope it turns out well for you!!! Wishing all the best.

I have walked the camino 4 times with almost 40 kg in difference both ways. I was up - down - up. I will just convey my experience, and support a doctors view as the most important.

I found the camino wonderful in all my shapes and sizes. When I was lighter I could cover longer distances. I have walked at my larger size (fat) both untrained and trained. When I had trained I could cover longer distances. Buuuut all my caminos were amazing.

My biggest tips are:
- shoes and poles - I need more support when bigger, cushioning in shoes and poles help with that
- take it slow in the begining
- chafting can be painful - some kind of anti-chafting stick is important - take care of those hotspots
- Caminos made it easier for me to appreciate my body for what it can do, not for what it looks like

I wish everyone could experience how strong and capable the camino can make you feel - no matter the speed, distances, etc.

Buen camino!

I gained a fair bit of weight and was quite sedentary in the months before my current camino but as I'm 42 without injuries i thankfully had no problems.

Just take things slower and walk shorter distances. Consider sending your pack ahead if the infrastructure supports it. Use a stick to help with posture and balance.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thank you for y'all's help.

I have new shoes and I always carry poles, so those are already taken care of, but I was mostly interested in the mindset part of it. While I am not training persay, I think I have a vague idea of what my body is capable of even with its current weight, but that doesn't stop my brain from sabotaging me. However, in my previous caminos my brain was never actually a problem so I hope it won't be this time either.

"Unfortunately" I am going to be walking the Plata so I won't have the option of sending stuff ahead, but I am planning on carrying just a 30 liter bag so I think the weight should be fine.

The Via de la plata is so beautiful that your brain will be too busy being awestruck to be sabotaging your confidence! I hope you have a fabulous walk!

Sound advice points above (I especially like Jarrad’s). You’ve done Camino‘s before so you already know all the tips so all that’s left to say is…

Ultreia et suseia! 🙂

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back