• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for a weight loss accountability partner who has walked the Camino

Nivala

Time of past OR future Camino
Hei!
I lost 18kg in 2021 and 2022 and gained it back in the past year. Now that I want to start again, I want to take a different approach. After walking the Camino frances last year and experiencing quite some setbacks, I realized how much overlap there is between going on a pilgrimage and going on a weight loss journey.
Like:
  • Don't carry too much & simplify - don't change too many things in your diet or fitness routine
  • Pace yourself - don't rush to get to the end goal
  • The path appears while you are walking it
  • Embracing the pilgrims identity: you can do hard things and you will reach your destination
  • Let go and stay flexible in your approach
  • Self Care: nutrion, sleep, gear, staying hydrated
This time I want to embrace some of the mindset, routines, and teachings the Camino gave me on my weight loss journey. And one important aspect of the Camino is community. That's why I am looking here in this forum for a weight loss accountability partner who has walked the Camino and wants to talk about it via video chat once a week.

About me and my plan:
I am 33 years old woman, living in Norway. I want to lose 20kg over a period of 2 years. I want to do it slowly, with only lifestyle changes I can sustain. I am not planning on going on a diet or hard core fitness programs. I am a big fan of tiny and mini habits and want to use this approach in 12 week time containers (with breaks in between), to improve my life and losing the weight. My end goal is to become an intuitive eater and to feel fit and light in my body.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Check out this earlier thread for other posts re weight loss or not while walking a camino.

In 2004 at 65 when I first began walking my height was 172 cm and weight 65 kilos. By the end of that camino and ever since my weight remains less than 55 kilos. Each time entering Santiago I physically felt remade; my bones might have been the same but they seemed re configured.

More important than any physical slimming down and tightening up was the psychological change. I have learned my limits as well as the importance of personal tenacity and endurance. Compared with ten climbs up O Cebreiro daily trivialities in life now at 84 have less importance; what matters most is to keep on trying!

Good luck with your plans and Carpe diem.

Last edited:
Hei!
I lost 18kg in 2021 and 2022 and gained it back in the past year. Now that I want to start again, I want to take a different approach. After walking the Camino frances last year and experiencing quite some setbacks, I realized how much overlap there is between going on a pilgrimage and going on a weight loss journey.
Like:
  • Don't carry too much & simplify - don't change too many things in your diet or fitness routine
  • Embracing the pilgrims identity: you can do hard things and you will reach your destination
This time I want to embrace some of the mindset, routines, and teachings the Camino gave me on my weight loss journey. And one important aspect of the Camino is community. That's why I am looking here in this forum for a weight loss accountability partner who has walked the Camino and wants to talk about it via video chat once a week.

About me and my plan:
I am 33 years old woman, living in Norway. I want to lose 20kg over a period of 2 years. I want to do it slowly, with only lifestyle changes I can sustain. I am not planning on going on a diet or hard core fitness programs. I am a big fan of tiny and mini habits and want to use this approach in 12 week time containers (with breaks in between), to improve my life and losing the weight. My end goal is to become an intuitive eater and to feel fit and light in my body.
I have never lost any weight while walking. Especially in Spain where the food is so good. Now I will say I never gain weight but I've never lost weight either. All the breads and cheeses.... I enjoy food and I enjoyed walking.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hei!
Like:

About me and my plan:
If His schedule is not too busy, Jesus might be a good partner although I plead ignorance in how many biblical references there are regarding weight loss. In any case, I would recommend you contact Him sooner rather than later as His schedule can fill up pretty quick. A 'human' partner . . . well, good luck with that as the odds of getting a successful human partner is quite high; in addition, consider the innumerable associated human frailties that exist. The other 'partner' that I might suggest is you, yourself. Your own self is always readily available and, more importantly, is quite willing and able to assist you to the utmost if you allow it to do so.

Always lose weight, then gain it back. I am turning 70 next year and like you plan to lose and keep off 12 pounds I gain and lose. But slowly. Right now planning to walk Via Podiensis to Santiago next year.

lost 20lbs(9kg) while on Frances...then it most likely 'stabilized' itself on Finisterre and probably went to pits in Madrid ....:oops:
And I did eat like a pig while walking....
...coming home on 4th of July didn't help either - right into the 'embrace' of loving family and the traditional BBQ in the backyard.....
sigh...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In May 2019 I was 65 years old, 184.15cm tall and my average weight was between 111 and 113kg.

I lost two or three kilos when I walked the Camino Frances from St. Jean and on my return home I kept up my walking and was averaging around 103 kg prior to Covid.

Over Covid I withdrew somewhat from the rest of the world and stopped walking.

In June of last year when I started my next Camino (Madrid) my weight had increased to 118 kg. Initially I really struggled and my pack really dragged me down but gradually my fitness returned and by the time I was back in London after 11 weeks in Spain and walking from the tube station to my AirBnB I realised how light my pack felt and how good I felt. I decided to make a real effort to keep my fitness and to control my weight.

On my return home I weighed 108 kgs despite my various splurges on pastries and chocolate in Spain (see my food posts).

This morning I weigh 90.5 kg and I am well on my way to my goal of 83-85 kg. I am a Geek and so I have a set of smart scales and I weigh myself every day at around the same time. My scales sends my weight and body composition (muscle vs fat and bone) to an app so that I can track my progress. It also measures my body water content and cardiovascular health (I apparently have the cardiovascular system of an average male 15 years younger).

My weight loss journey is a zigzag. It is never a straight line down and frequently goes up but the overall trend is down.

All of my four siblings are obese or overweight. One sibling is dead.

During my midlife crisis (30 years ago or so) I went on a crash diet and exercise bonanza. At one stage I was swimming 4.5 kilometres every day! I lost a lot of weight, plus my gallbladder and I was ultra fit and addicted to the adrenaline from the exercise but, of course, that level of exercise takes heaps of time and eventually life intervened and over time the weight went back on.

Something that I read a couple of years ago changed my approach. I read an article that answered the question:

When you lose weight, how does the weight leave your body?

My guess, before reading the article, was that I was excreting it or somehow sweating it out and so I was surprised to learn that any weight that we lose leaves our body through our lungs when we breathe out. Of course this makes sense when you think about it in depth but for me at least and I suspect for many other people it was a revelation.

Now this doesn't mean that I can cause myself to lose weight just by breathing more or deeper without a physiological reason for doing that, but for me it did highlight the importance of good breathing.

This knowledge, in association with an understanding that our brains are one of our biggest energy sinks and that our brains are very active while we sleep has highlighted the importance of good sleep for good health and weight control.

Like many others, putting on a lot of extra weight disrupts my sleep and without active health measures the disrupted sleep increases my weight in a vicious cycle.

I used to wake up unrefreshed and often with a headache in the mornings.

These days, I am not on some crazy exercise fad but I love walking and so I take every opportunity to do that. Not just for recreation but also if I am going somewhere then if it is close I walk. If it is further away I consider taking public transport and walking between the transport and my destination. If I decide to drive for some reason then I look for a carpark some distance away from the end point so that I can include some walking in my journey. I do also love swimming and so I do that recreationally but not as often as I would like.

Of course, I am retired and so I have a lot of time to do this stuff and it can be harder when life is really busy.

I also am not on some crazy diet. Mostly I reduce my food input by portion control. I put less on my plate so that I am not tempted to over eat. I also tend to avoid simple carbohydrates such as potatoes, white rice and foods containing white flour but I am not religious about it. If it is a special occasion and someone has baked a nice cake then I will have some just usually a smaller piece than I would have had in the past.

I also seem to have fallen into a natural cycle of intermittent fasting. I usually only have a very light breakfast (one piece of toast, coffee and a piece of fruit) around 10 am and I usually eat a light dinner at around 6 pm and that gives me an interval of around 16 hours between the evening meal and breakfast.

Again, if you are part of a family that lives together and eats together then it is much harder to make changes to the meal times and content.

I grow my own vegetables and fruit and I eat these in preference to store bought fruit and vegetables unless what I want is out of season in my garden or not growing there for some reason.

I am not keen on video calling because that means scheduling my time and I avoid that. I am, however, happy to correspond via email if you are interested, send me a personal message if you want and we can chat offline.

Last edited:
Nivala, your weight loss plans sounds great! Losing weight slowly and with lifestyle changes and things you can sustain sounds perfect. And it's lovely to take inspiration from the camino.

Almost exactly one year ago it hit me that I couldn't keep gaining weight and had to do something. I've never had much faith in diets but decided to join Weight Watchers because it keeps you accountable in that you write down what you eat and keep track. It stresses healthy eating. And, it helped me see how much I was over eating. It has worked well for me. I've lost 25 pounds (11.3 k) and reached my goal. It hasn't been too hard and I think/hope I can keep up the good habits and will maintain the weight loss. Fingers crossed, this is the hard part. (I'd love to switch over to your plan for the maintenance part but I'm not sure I'm ready for that.)

But, one thing that has helped is that I let myself go off the tracking on some special occasions and when travelling. I think letting myself take breaks has helped me not to burn out and also reassure my body that it's not going to starve. It actually helped me get off a couple of weight-loss plateaus.

E.g. I went off it on Thanksgiving and for 4 days after when we had all the turkey and dressing left-overs to eat. (I would have felt so deprived if I'd had to forego those.) And when I was on camino last spring for 5 weeks, also didn't track/diet. I still tried to eat sensibly and healthily for the most part. And eat a very light supper as we almost always do. But still enjoyed those menu del dia desserts, more than one cafe con leche per day, etc.

On those breaks, to my surprise, I only gained a pound or two and as soon as I went back to tracking and staying within my point allowance I lost those pounds in a few days.

So, my experience says relax and enjoy the food on the camino, without going too crazy, of course. I know this might not work for everyone.

One thing to remember is that part of your weight remaining stable on the Camino is a gain in muscle mass and loss of fat. You should be able to look in a mirror and see the difference. Plus the ability to outwalk your friends!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I usually walk for about 6 weeks on the various Caminos each year and I generally lose about 20 pounds.
However, I usually gain it all back by next Camino - which is a bummer - but LUCKILY, there's always another year and another Camino!

I lost 20 lbs last year walking Camino Frances. When I got to Santiago I looked in the mirror and thought who is that guy. When I got back to work my boss asked me if I had gotten sick or just lost the weight from walking. It's nice to know that just walking is a good weight loss program. I'll see if I lose that much this year.

My last of 3 previous Caminos was 2019. I've had Covid twice, which affected my breathing (apparently not unusual). I had a right hip replacement in 2022 and that took a minute to regain even a semblance of walking strength! Moved to Portugal in 2023, just purchased a Forclaz Women's backpack (impressive!) from my local Decathlon and aim to depart Roncesvalles 11 April 2024. (Already booked, a plus incentive.) As I no longer have to pay for air fare from mid-Missouri-Madrid, I can take my 79 year old time! Weighing myself dispirits me, only all my clothes are XL and I want to knock 'em down a size. New to carnivore diet (yay!), I find it is easily adaptable, reasonably priced meat, eggs, salmon, bacon and cheese from Portuguese grocery stores and delicious. I plan on omelettes for "2nd breakfast" and burgers for dinner. And, first time, taking poles.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back