• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help: Passport not stamped in immigration

marc3l

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP-Santiago (2013)
Hi,

I was just phoned by the French Embassy in Jakarta regarding my visa application. I plan to walk the Camino on May 4 (last year I walked from SJPP-Fromista) and as an Indonesian passport holder I need to apply for the Schengen Visa. The Embassy is asking why my passport was not stamped in immigration last year when I entered the Schengen State (she questioned that there is no arrival stamp, there is only departure stamp from Madrid). For information, last year I was in Schengen as my visa period.

I am not sure why, maybe I forgot to check my passport if it was stamped/not when I passed through the Immigration in Paris (last year I used Singapore Airlines, flying from Singapore-Paris CDG). I suppose as the flight is coming from Non-Schengen countries, I must have go through the Immigration, otherwise how come I enter? But, right now I am not sure, as I also remember last year on the same day I flied out from Paris CDG to Biarritz using the Easy Jet (maybe it's true that I didn't go through the Immigration?) :?

I need to come to the Embassy tomorrow explaining this. I am very worried if my application is refused or maybe extended (I will not have any other time until next year due to job issue - I will start assignment in other country on June 1). :cry:

My question: Is it normal that in Paris (or other Schengen countries) the immigration officers sometime do not stamp the passport (for us/Non European) for flight arriving from Non Schengen State? I have full passport and never been asked anything like this before (I travel a lot but mostly in Asia, and this will be my 5th time entering Europe, but the other 3 times are entering in Frankfurt). So, I am really not sure what I need to explain tomorrow at the Embassy. :?

Thanks very much and really appreciate your help.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We weren't stamped in Paris either. Off the plane, collect bags and straight through the little door into the crowd.

Perhaps offer them a copy of your plane ticket that would show your arrival time - do you still have a copy on your computer somewhere?

marc3l said:
Is it normal that in Paris (or other Schengen countries) the immigration officers sometime do not stamp the passport (for us/Non European) for flight arriving from Non Schengen State?

Yes -- you're just being subjected to typical French bureaucracy.

Tell them that the Police simply forgot to stamp the passport.

If you have it, bring proof of your arrival date in Paris last time round.

The fact that you left the Schengen area within the period of your earlier visa is far more important than any officially-stamped day of arrival.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Take in your flight tickets, including the easyjet ticket.

It might also be a good idea (if you haven't already done so) to get a stamped letter from your church (preferably signed by your local priest) explaining what the Camino is and why you need the visa.

Also, if you are walking the Camino in Spain, wouldn't it be more appropriate to apply for the visa at the Spanish embassy?

Hi,

Thanks for help. I have printed out last year's ticket and will bring them to the Embassy tomorrow, and explaining that my stay was within the period stated in earlier visa. I hope it would be sufficient for them *crossing fingers*

Hi NoQ, I already submitted many documents and papers for this visa application (and never been in trouble so far), that's why I didn't think about a reference letter from my church, I should consider it in the future, it might be a good idea. My flight is arriving in Paris and I think will be easier if I got the visa from the first entry-state.

Again, thank you very much to all. God bless.

Lise T said:
.It must have something with flying between countries in Europe.

We figured it was a French thing because it had also happened when we took motorhomes from England across to France by ferry. The problem arose when we tried to leave Greece - we had entered the Schengen zone and then left it for six weeks but had no proof of being in the UK for that time, so we were theoretically (according to the Greek border patrol) overstayers. My husband had been waved through in his motorhome with half the kids, but when I came through after them, they got called back as well and we had all our passports taken, phone calls made and who-knows-what went on, but eventually we were allowed OUT of the country!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi marc3l

Just mentioned trying the Spanish embassy (in case the French embassy doesn't grant you a visa) because it is recommended to apply at the embassy to the country you will be staying for the most time in.

My wife is in a similar situation to yourself (she is a Philippine citizen) and while we are flying into Paris and then taking an AF flight from Orly to Biarritz, and after the Camino a month and a half later we will be flying out of Paris back to HK, we were advised to apply for the visa at the Spanish embassy.

Anyway, best of luck with the visa. The amount of bureaucracy is ridiculous - it took me almost a day just to type up a month and a half itinerary.

there's no border control as such between EU member states, therefor one can pass relatively freely from one country to the next (which means no stamps unless one insist). Only when arriving from "outside" will one have to get in a separate cue...

Yes it's up to you to insist on a stamp if you need it. But it's not the EU it's the Schengen countries. The Swiss are in the Schengen now but the UK and I think Ireland aren't.

With in the zone you aren't really crossing a border normally. Some times they raise the security levels (I think last year this happened for a conference) but normally all the Schengen countries are considered one.

The UK is outside the zone with it's own rules.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi NoQ,

For Schengen visa appl, I read that we need to apply at the Embassy of first entry state or the longest stay. But, somehow I still don't understand the logic, if travelling between Schengen state is considered as "domestic" and no checking in the border, then why should we apply at the Embassy of the longest stay? I am anticipating the problem would arise in the first-entry state...when we are coming from "outside". That's the reason I think it will be better for me to apply in French Embassy (as my flight from "outside" Schengen arrive in France). Last year, I got the visa from French Embassy....maybe this is why they're questioning why there's no arrival stamp.

I have also experienced that when I entered Germany for 3 weeks business trip in that country (arriving in Frankfurt from Singapore), the immigration officer asked me with many questions...even asking me to show him the "invitation letter" from our company in Germany and other documents, also my business card. At that time, my Schengen visa was issued by Germany Embassy. Based on this, I think better for me to apply visa at the first-entry state.

Thanks all for help, hope tomorrow I will see a way ....

Take your credencial as well - show them all the stamps with dates - and also your Compostela, which is also dated. Proof enough of where you were.

marc3l said:
Hi,

My question: Is it normal that in Paris (or other Schengen countries) the immigration officers sometime do not stamp the passport (for us/Non European) for flight arriving from Non Schengen State? I have full passport and never been asked anything like this before (I travel a lot but mostly in Asia, and this will be my 5th time entering Europe, but the other 3 times are entering in Frankfurt). So, I am really not sure what I need to explain tomorrow at the Embassy. :?

Thanks very much and really appreciate your help.

The first time I visited Spain I travelled via London. The plane was full of Bristish citizens. Britain is not part of Schengen but it is part of EU. The border gaurd merely checked to see the nationality on the passport cover. He was just alert enough to note my passport was not British and stamped it.

So yeah, its possible.

Honesty is best policy. Tell it like it is.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi,

I just returned from the Embassy. The Lady kept asking me about the stamp, and said she didn't understand, even I am showing last year's ticket, and I was in Schengen state as period granted in earlier visa (proven by my departure/arrival stamp in Jakarta's airport).

I am lucky, there is a guy who looks senior (maybe her superior) suddenly coming. I was very nervous hearing them speaking in French (I don't understand a single world) while looking at the passports, tickets, etc. Later, he said that it happens sometime, as the immigration officer maybe got confused. She said it will be okay with my visa, don't worry, and they will return it next week. Just make sure another time to check the stamp, and ensure the sign is appropriate (the arrow is showing "inside" or "outside).

I am so happy and thankful for this. I can't sleep the whole night figuring out if the application is rejected. I only have 12 leave days annually, which I carefully plan to build up the days for Camino (even need to split it in 2 stages in 2 years). I don't know what will happen if I didn't use this "Camino leave" as it will be expired by June 30 this year, and another isuee to start an assignment on June 1, with no possible leave for another one year :roll:

Thanks guys for help, really appreciate it. The Road to Santiago is so so long...I still don't know why I want to walk it...but I love all of it...the whole package with its beauty, frustration, pain (hopefully this time less knee pain and blisters)....

Buen Camino to All and Have a blessed day :arrow:

Fantastic. Well done. Gosh that must have been awfully stressful. Hope everything goes smoothly for you from now on and you have a wonderful time on your camiino. :D

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This thread caught my eye. Having gone through LOADS of paperwork to first move to Spain and then to *stay* in Spain for the last 5 years, I am so, so happy for you that everything turned out well with the French embassy. Now you can breathe easy and enjoy the rest of your planning to come over. Take care and buen camino!

So, the French Embassy has your passport and will issue the visa you need by next week? If this is the case, please keep us informed. If I misunderstand the situation and you are "good to go," then congratulations and Buen Camino!
Kathy

Hi,

At last, my passport has just been returned from the Embassy. They grant me 30 days visit, multiple entries. Everything is ready now, I am so so happy.... Just need to book the train and first-night accomodation. :D :D :D

I promise myself to enjoy and treasure every minutes of it...Thanks to All...

Buen Camino and God bless :arrow:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back