• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help please - What would you do?

RENSHAW

Official Camino Vino taster
Time of past OR future Camino
2003 CF Ronces to Santiago
Hospi San Anton 2016.
Hi guys ,
I have only ever completed the Camino from Roncesvalles to Santiago ONCE ..... However , It had such a profound effect on me that I return each year for a 'Camino experience' of anywhere between 2 and 6 weeks. I walk slowly and starting at Pamplona most of the times never get further than Leon . It is the way that is important to me ; the Camino ; Pilgrims; the Spanish ; the Albergues , food , VINO , and the list can carry on.
Here is my problem ........... A friend has asked for some advice ; This will be her first Camino. She only has two weeks , end July , begining August. She is not relegious , nor is she Catholic. She wants to start at Leon and get to Santiago ........ I think she would have a better experience starting at Pamplona and walking two weeks in Navarra and Rioja , she can always return and pick up from where she left off.
Firstly , I know that there will be THOUSANDS of pilgrims walking the last 200 , 100Km to Santiago , secondly , and here is where I am so biased ........... I know Pamplona to Logrono like the back of my hand and I can give so much detailed info?
But am I doing the right thing in Pushing a good start without an end in Santiago?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Tricky - whatever you say may be wrong! As in, if she has regrets at all they may come back at you because of your advice, so, just to make it more complicated ... if you think that she, like you, will be captivated by the Camino and will want to return then why not start at St Jean? .. then she will run out of time at about Burgos - a perfect place to pick up the Camino in future ... but if she will never be able to return because of money, commitments, etc, then starting at .. ermm .. Leon? and finishing at the Cathedral will most likely be the better option ....

so - how was it for you on your first Camino - which was the most important part for you? walking a section or arriving at the cathedral and then getting your compostela?

hhmm ... I haven't helped, have I !

Renshaw I totally understand your thinking! It's SO beautiful from Pamplona .... But I don't think you should push her, or give too much information, unless she asks. I think people like to find out for themselves . And if she has a strong sense of wanting to start in Leon, then maybe it's for a good reason...
But I do feel for your enthusiasm :)
Good luck, Helen

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Interesting question. I was asked that again and again. Personally I would recommend to start in SJPdP and pick up Camino again sometime in the future. But on the other hand I would consider David's suggestion very good - it depends on the person that will walk the trail. But both ways it's still your dilemma RENSHAW and I don't think we're helping much o_O

Hola Renshaw,
Obviously either will have their own merits and like David says advice either way might prove to be wrong. I think you can only point out the pros & cons and let your friend decide.
It's great walk from Leon (a beautiful place) and many start there, but then many Europeans walk the camino in sections, picking up were they left off, then there's the crowds from Sarria , but then the there's the tapas bars in Logrono.... I'd tell her all you know and let her decide without the pushing.
Buen Camino
Colin

Renshaw I totally understand your thinking! It's SO beautiful from Pamplona .... But I don't think you should push her, or give too much information, unless she asks. I think people like to find out for themselves . And if she has a strong sense of wanting to start in Leon, then maybe it's for a good reason...
But I do feel for your enthusiasm :)
Good luck, Helen
I would agree with Helen, let her make her own decision. If she loves it she will come back and probably do the full CF. Give her your best advise on packing, feet care etc and let her off.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Start in Le Puy.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I have wanted to walk the Camino for about 30 years and finally was able to complete the last 185k this past September! Yay! I only had 2 weeks also, which is sad, but thats the way it is----and not knowing if I would EVER be able to make the trek again, I opted to begin in Leon because I wanted to see the 2 cathedrals there, but not having quite enough time to begin our hike there we bussed to Villafranca del Bierzo, spent the night in this wonderful medieval town and began walking the next morning. For someone who only has a couple of weeks it's a great stretch. You feel like you have the edge on the Sarria folks (you're walking double what they walk) and I was more or less able to hold my head up around the Burgos crowd. I couldn't tell if it was crowded or not compared to walking from the beginning. We met alot of people to be sure but never was The Way crowded nor did we have trouble finding places to sleep. It was late September so maybe summer is different. Our walk actually took only 11 days so maybe one could walk from Astorga or Ponferrada with 2 full weeks.
I wouldn't have missed walking into Santiago for the world! That makes it so meaningful, religious or not.

so - how was it for you on your first Camino - which was the most important part for you? walking a section or arriving at the cathedral and then getting your compostela?
!

It took me 33 days , the whole of October 2003 - so you see, it was a few years ago when it was not so busy.
I never in my wildest dreams thought that I could finish without taking a train or bus in the middle - my aim was always to get to Santiago and as I got closer , and fitter , I relised that I could do by foot alone .............but then again , I DID have the time............ and Yes , I howled when I caught the my first glimse of the Cathederal.
You have given some great advice - I think that a Leon start for her may be best .....she lives in South Africa and may never get the opportuinity to return - if she does , she can walk a stretch from SJPDP.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Each Camino is a personal experience. Allow her to have the opportunity to make her own decisions. If she asks, assist with answers of your own experience; refer her to books and this forum. She will find her own Way and be more happy with her choices.

She wants to start at Leon and get to Santiago ........

I don't really understand why is this even up for discussion. She already stated what she wants to do. For all we/you know, she has already done her research and considered your knowledge on the Pamplona-Logroño section....and came up with her choice: Leon to Santiago. The Camino isn't going anywhere, she can always decide to go back, at which point Renshaw, you may get your wish to show off the incredible knowledge you have :).

I don't really understand why is this even up for discussion. She already stated what she wants to do. For all we/you know, she has already done her research and considered your knowledge on the Pamplona-Logroño section....and came up with her choice: Leon to Santiago. The Camino isn't going anywhere, she can always decide to go back, at which point Renshaw, you may get your wish to show off the incredible knowledge you have :).
It is the time of year that she has choosen. That is my main concern , wanting the best for her.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
OK, I think I get it now and would probably have the same concern. However, been that she is from South Africa, I completely get her walking Leon- Santiago. Most likely she will get "bitten" like most of us and eventually would go back :). However, if never able to do so, the sight of the Cathedral in Santiago will provide one amazing and comforting thought!~

well, if she wants to do it one way it is her camino, so that, imho is what you should help her accomplish...

but be honest and tell her your thoughts and maybe direct her in here...

I find that for many firtstimers it is the arriving that is of importance and only later does the journey become the main purpose, for me it was that way also, it is probably not up to us oldies to interfere...

I didn't feel that I had finished till I got to Finisterre ... and I would have gone further if it were possible. That baroque pile of rocks in Santiago is interesting but it doesn't hold a candle to places like Finisterre.

I wouldn't recommend any part of the camino over any other part ... the experience of walking is the same throughout.

The fixation on finishing in Santiago is an interesting phenomenon. I found it disappointing to see camino friends pick up the pace and disappear in order to get there 'in time' for the resumption of normal lives.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
She may feel drawn by Santiago, whether she is 'religious' or not. I only had three weeks for walking in Spain last year, and wasn't sure exactly where I would walk. I started in Pamplona, and orginally just thought I would walk as far as three weeks took me. But before long I felt this 'pull' to finish in Santiago- so one day I bussed ahead to Hospital de Orbigo so I could do just that....It was what I felt drawn to do,
Margaret

I may be from another planet because I am doing the Camino Frances in sections and I am dreading the thought of seeing the Cathedral...

The joy of planning, going back, walking, and doing it all over again is beyond words. The Camino has given me back ALREADY so much!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If she's a good walker she could consider the Camino Ingles followed by Finisterre/Muxia. Although the Ingles is much quieter than the Frances it‘s July so there will be pilgrims around. Starting and ending in Galicia makes travel to/from easy. There are fewer options for stopping places along the Ingles, which is the main disadvantage in my view.

If she's a good walker she could consider the Camino Ingles followed by Finisterre/Muxia. Although the Ingles is much quieter than the Frances it‘s July so there will be pilgrims around. Starting and ending in Galicia makes travel to/from easy. There are fewer options for stopping places along the Ingles, which is the main disadvantage in my view.
I think that's a great idea. But I would say that - it's what I plan to do next year.

I am of the view that if she has a preference to start in Leon, your advice should be couched in helping her achieve that. Even if you put other options on the table for her to think about, it should be to give her choices, not to dissuade her from doing what she chooses.

Regards,

Hi Renshaw, I would also recommend her to join our Confraternity of St James in South Africa http://www.csjofsa.za.org/
The Confraternity’s main aim is to assist South African pilgrims with advice during the preparation phase of their pilgrimage. Should she require a Schengen visa, the Confraternity will issue a letter which she can present to the Visa offices in lieu of proof of albuerge/hostal/hotel reservations in Spain. Dolfina

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Well ya know what ?….. I have not done this Camino YET… next year…….. BUT do believe ALLLL of life is our Camino… so in that sense…… I have completed MANY Caminos…….

With that in mind I suggest ……. your friend is best served by walking her own walk………. whatever that turns out to be for her……. so that is my suggestion as to what your answer could be to her question….. """ whatever you do and however you do it, it will be the right thing for YOU """"

:)

But am I doing the right thing in Pushing a good start without an end in Santiago?

Like we all do at this forum too, we can only give each other our own experience. When we telling/pushing other people what we think they should do (which I feel somtimes the urge to do so too...), I think we do pas the personal area of the other person. I can never know what the other person needs to do. I'm sure if she would ask for advice on this forum her she would get much different advice too.
I sounds to me that you served her well so far by giving your experience. I would let her go and support her in her choice (which sounds to me a good choice too) and advice her, if she asks for it.

I think that your thoughts about your friend's plan and your reasoning are sound. Just tell her what you wrote so eloquently on your post. She asked for your advice - tell her what you think and why. You have some solid insights that would affect her plan, so share them. She can still make up her own mind.
I would have a really hard time trying to tell someone what is the "best" part of the Camino to cover in two weeks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I may be from another planet because I am doing the Camino Frances in sections and I am dreading the thought of seeing the Cathedral...

The joy of planning, going back, walking, and doing it all over again is beyond words. The Camino has given me back ALREADY so much!

Olivares ... I feel your pain ... I am planning stage 3 of my Camino Frances that I have been walking with my 15 year old son over last 12 months ... I can't even imagine what I will have to look forward to once we reach Santiago ... Bittersweet finale!

Renshaw ..... your friend is about to embark on the journey of a lifetime ... Does it really matter which section she walks on this occasion .. We all know whatever she chooses to do will be an amazing experience.

My son and I head back in April 2014 for the final leg .. Leon to Santiago .. Can't wait !

I think there is so much good advise, on this thread, from people who have done the Camino, she should read the posts & it might help her to decide ?...........:).........keep smiling.........Vicrev

My son and I head back in April 2014 for the final leg .. Leon to Santiago .. Can't wait !

How cool is that! :cool: Wishing you both an amazing trip! Buen Camino!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back