• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help with travel from Santiago

Time of past OR future Camino
2022 Portuguese
2023 Frances
2027 Frances?
We will be starting our camino very soon. We leave the USA a week from tomorrow. To make things easier for us does anyone know of a competent travel advisor in Santiago that we may use for travel within the EU after our camino is done? Yes I know we can use the internet, yes I know there are other ways to handle this. We have some unique requirements for travel within the EU with luggage, one piece large, as well as a rollaboard and backpacks. Not understanding the EU airline luggage requirements we would like to be able to rely on help in Santiago once we are done with our walk for the nex 2 legs of our trip.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wishing you buen camino first and foremost. I do not know of any competent travel adviser in Santiago. I read what you said, and this is my suggestion: you could use internet to bring up possible travel advisers. Not for you to work it out yourself, but to find an office - I guess that is what you want, a travel agency? Perhaps you might contact Ivar and or Natefaith, they both live in Santiago and might know some agencies. Good luck.

Wishing you buen camino first and foremost. I do not know of any competent travel adviser in Santiago. I read what you said, and this is my suggestion: you could use internet to bring up possible travel advisers. Not for you to work it out yourself, but to find an office - I guess that is what you want, a travel agency? Perhaps you might contact Ivar and or Natefaith, they both live in Santiago and might know some agencies. Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestion. We have been trying to figure out our airline travel within the EU for a while now and have not been successful without ridiculously outrages airfares between Santiago and Catania Italy. We may need to rethink and repack yet again to see what we can fit in what for this trip. the camino part is easy, it is the 2+ months afterward that has our luggage problem in a bind.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm not sure what a roller board is but if it is lithium battery powered I would leave it home before you have to donate it to TSA. Sicily sounds like a great place to unwind , sadly is is serviced by small airlines. Have you looked at a ferry. Ultreya!

We will be starting our camino very soon. We leave the USA a week from tomorrow. To make things easier for us does anyone know of a competent travel advisor in Santiago that we may use for travel within the EU after our camino is done? Yes I know we can use the internet, yes I know there are other ways to handle this. We have some unique requirements for travel within the EU with luggage, one piece large, as well as a rollaboard and backpacks. Not understanding the EU airline luggage requirements we would like to be able to rely on help in Santiago once we are done with our walk for the nex 2 legs of our trip.
Well it’s likely that you will have to pay baggage fees, I would consider that a small price to pay given the length of the trip. I always check bags.

The main difference is that EU baggage limits are given in kilograms. 1 kg equals 2.2 pounds. And many airlines assume that you are going to check a bag, so their carry-on limits are very very tight. The equivalent of one personal item here in the US.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Have you tried www.Rome2Rio.com for various airlines/changes/cost/ possibilities? Or have you considered buying what you need post camino when you arrive in Sicily?
Yes we have. The issue isn't finding flights, it is the combination of airline, cost, maximum baggage size allowed for checked luggage.

I'm not sure what a roller board is but if it is lithium battery powered I would leave it home before you have to donate it to TSA. Sicily sounds like a great place to unwind , sadly is is serviced by small airlines. Have you looked at a ferry. Ultreya!
A rollaboard suitcase is a small case that usually fits in the overhead luggage rack on an airplane. I have thought about a ferry but we are trying to get from Santiago to Catania within 24 hours. A ferry would require us to take a train from Santiago to the southern ports then a combination of ferries and/or train to get to Catania all with backpacks, a rollaboard suitcase, and a large suitcase to lug around. But thanks for the suggestion.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well it’s likely that you will have to pay baggage fees, I would consider that a small price to pay given the length of the trip. I always check bags.

The main difference is that EU baggage limits are given in kilograms. 1 kg equals 2.2 pounds. And many airlines assume that you are going to check a bag, so their carry-on limits are very very tight. The equivalent of one personal item here in the US.
I agree and I always check bags too. I am more than willing to pay baggage fees. The problem isn't paying the fee or the weight but the physical size of the luggage. Those sizes are all over the map. One airline has no way, on their website, to allow for a checked bag. Another airline wants 300 euros per person, where other airlines want between 60 and 120 per person, but it will fit our luggage for another very expensive checked bag charge. I am beginning to think maybe DHL?

I have thought about a ferry but we are trying to get from Santiago to Catania within 24 hours.
The biggest problem is that you are flying from one small airport to another small airport. If you tell us the date that you are planning to travel I am sure that there are members here who are better acquainted with the fees and rules of some of the small airlines flying this route.

I just did a cursory search on Google Flights, and it seems that Easy Jet is a good option for this route, however, the length of travel time depends on the day of the week. The shortest overall travel time that I've found is 10 hours.
When you book on the EasyJet site you can choose to upgrade to "Essentials" which includes a small underseat cabin bag and 23 kg hold luggage. Or, after the seat selection screens there are options to add hold luggage.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The biggest problem is that you are flying from one small airport to another small airport. If you tell us the date that you are planning to travel I am sure that there are members here who are better acquainted with the fees and rules of some of the small airlines flying this route.
We expect to depart Santiago on May 14, barring any unforeseen problems. But now that you mention that Santiago is a small airport, maybe the best course of action is to train to Lisbon then fly from their. Thanks for the info. We have been looking up airline fees, weights, etc. The issue seems be that most airlines only fly small planes and do not allow the large checked luggage. The size of the problematic luggage is 31x20x12 inches or 79x51x31 cm rounded up.

I don't think that you need to travel all the way to Lisbon. Take the bus to Porto - there is a stop right at the airport, and flights that look similar timewise to flying from Lisbon.

From Santiago to Porto by bus is about 3.5 hours.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you go to Porto you will probably have to take the bus down the day before your flight.
We are currently looking at all options, train to Madrid, bus to Porto, bus/train to Lisbon etc. We are also packing and repacking to see if we can reduce the size of the large suitcase.

Considering all that we are doing, this is the most complicated travel leg of our trip. We have Good Friday and Easter in Oviedo for viewing of the Sudarium, tourist stuff in Lisbon and Fatima, our camino from Porto, then 2 months in a small town near Catania, and then 2 or maybe 3 weeks (I forget) in a little town near Bari Italy. So three distinctly different trips all rolled into one long stay. Thankfully we can send our large luggage to Ivar for storage from Oviedo which solves the problem on the travel from Oviedo to Lisbon and on to Porto. Hopefully we will have this all sorted out within the next 24 hours. Thank you for the suggestions.

Hi Damico Walking, just to be clear - would you like a suggestion of a travel agency in Santiago that you can contact now? Or do you just want to be able to visit their office upon arrival in SdC? I think you're asking for the former. In that case, I'd recommend that you find a good travel agent near you, and have them book everything that you need. It may be quite difficult to communicate with a Santiago travel agency from overseas.

However, if you're good with waiting to make arrangements once you get to Santiago, there are a couple agencies that we've heard good things about:

Viajes Tambre, Xelmirez 21, Santiago

Viajes El Corte Ingles, Restollal, 50, Santiago
https://www.paxinasgalegas.es/viajes-el-corte-ingles-19307em.html and https://www.viajeselcorteingles.es/

Vijaes Viloria

Hope you find what you need! Buen Camino.

I’m wondering why not make your way to Madrid & fly from there. Major international hub, easily accessible from Santiago. Also your “problem” case dimensions do not seem to be particularly excessive, certainly not in “exceptional baggage” dimensions. Most hold luggage is charged / controlled by weight ‘cos a baggage handler with a hernia can’t handle baggage.
I’m not sure you need a travel agent but perhaps you need to stop looking for a few days. Go and paint a fence or something. And then just book a flight, with checked luggage, from Llareggub to Erewhon or wherever you want to go.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I agree and I always check bags too. I am more than willing to pay baggage fees. The problem isn't paying the fee or the weight but the physical size of the luggage. Those sizes are all over the map. One airline has no way, on their website, to allow for a checked bag. Another airline wants 300 euros per person, where other airlines want between 60 and 120 per person, but it will fit our luggage for another very expensive checked bag charge. I am beginning to think maybe DHL?

I just did a cursory search on Google Flights, and it seems that Easy Jet is a good option for this route, however, the length of travel time depends on the day of the week.

I just did a search on Google Flights as well (because I love this sort of thing and have more than once said I'd love to be a travel agent in another life) and found you can also get from Santiago to Catania on RyanAir with a single four hour layover in Madrid for under $100 per ticket plus another $100-$150 or so to bring two bags on board and check one 20 kg bag in hold.

(Yes, I know RyanAir has a bad reputation for tacking on fees to their "budget" fares at every opportunity - but if you go into the process knowing that you'll be paying more to check bags & c. they're perfectly fine.)

The itinerary has you leaving Santiago in the morning and gets you to Catania by 4:30 PM.

As @Tincatinker said above, the trick is to search for two separate flights – from Santiago to Madrid and then Madrid to Catania – instead of a single itinerary from Santiago to Catania, which could be the reason you're finding those outrageous fares.

I realize that a travel agent can make the process easier for you.
But Google Flights is simple to use, and even provides links to each airline's baggage policy and fees so you can make an informed estimate about how much the trip will cost you.
Good luck and Buen Camino!

What about flying a bigger airline from Madrid to either Rome or Naples and taking the train the rest of the way? Trains are more forgiving with luggage than the small airlines.

Beyond that - if it is this much hassle - I personally would bring a lot less and if there is something I really need, I would just buy there. We are doing similar - bringing only what we need for the Camino - buying 'souvenir' clothing (just new outfits - not touristy stuff) for our "after- Camino".

Hi Damico Walking, just to be clear - would you like a suggestion of a travel agency in Santiago that you can contact now? Or do you just want to be able to visit their office upon arrival in SdC? I think you're asking for the former. In that case, I'd recommend that you find a good travel agent near you, and have them book everything that you need. It may be quite difficult to communicate with a Santiago travel agency from overseas.

However, if you're good with waiting to make arrangements once you get to Santiago, there are a couple agencies that we've heard good things about:

Viajes Tambre, Xelmirez 21, Santiago

Viajes El Corte Ingles, Restollal, 50, Santiago
https://www.paxinasgalegas.es/viajes-el-corte-ingles-19307em.html and https://www.viajeselcorteingles.es/

Vijaes Viloria

Hope you find what you need! Buen Camino.
Thank you. My wife is the one working on these reservations with this particular request and I am handling other logistics for both the camino and our trip. Once we complete our packing/repacking exercise today we will have a better idea of what options are available.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’m wondering why not make your way to Madrid & fly from there. Major international hub, easily accessible from Santiago. Also your “problem” case dimensions do not seem to be particularly excessive, certainly not in “exceptional baggage” dimensions. Most hold luggage is charged / controlled by weight ‘cos a baggage handler with a hernia can’t handle baggage.
I’m not sure you need a travel agent but perhaps you need to stop looking for a few days. Go and paint a fence or something. And then just book a flight, with checked luggage, from Llareggub to Erewhon or wherever you want to go.
The airlines we have found that can accomodate our luggage out of Santiago either want to charge over 300e per person plus excess baggage fees plus an overnight layover. And based on the published allowable sizes even our backpacks won't fit in carryon. Very perplexing to say the least. Not a problem getting to the EU but travel within seems to be the challenge. We are using our packing/repacking exercise as a break from the airline searching.

I just did a search on Google Flights as well (because I love this sort of thing and have more than once said I'd love to be a travel agent in another life) and found you can also get from Santiago to Catania on RyanAir with a single four hour layover in Madrid for under $100 per ticket plus another $100-$150 or so to bring two bags on board and check one 20 kg bag in hold.

(Yes, I know RyanAir has a bad reputation for tacking on fees to their "budget" fares at every opportunity - but if you go into the process knowing that you'll be paying more to check bags & c. they're perfectly fine.)

The itinerary has you leaving Santiago in the morning and gets you to Catania by 4:30 PM.

As @Tincatinker said above, the trick is to search for two separate flights – from Santiago to Madrid and then Madrid to Catania – instead of a single itinerary from Santiago to Catania, which could be the reason you're finding those outrageous fares.

I realize that a travel agent can make the process easier for you.
But Google Flights is simple to use, and even provides links to each airline's baggage policy and fees so you can make an informed estimate about how much the trip will cost you.
Good luck and Buen Camino!
We will check out this route again and have been all over google flights on this particular leg. The problem is the size of the baggage allowed by Ryanair in their hold. I believe we are over on both height and width. Weight isn't much of a problem but the dimensions are what is causing the problem. But again we will check out that route again to see if it will accommodate our luggage. If it was just us and our backpacks it would be easy.

What about flying a bigger airline from Madrid to either Rome or Naples and taking the train the rest of the way? Trains are more forgiving with luggage than the small airlines.

Beyond that - if it is this much hassle - I personally would bring a lot less and if there is something I really need, I would just buy there. We are doing similar - bringing only what we need for the Camino - buying 'souvenir' clothing (just new outfits - not touristy stuff) for our "after- Camino".
We are looking into this but adding the Rome or Naples and the train into the mix as well as the time adds a couple of days to our transit and substantial cost. We have taken the train from Rome and Naples before. It worked out well but we were traveling under different circumstances and requirements. Due to activities in our after camino 2+ months buying new clothes is really a last resort and souvenir clothing will not work for our plans and other family activities. Need some more formal outfits. But we are still finalizing the packing today. We are basically moving for 3-4 months with a camino stuck near the beginning.

This is feeling like a real life game of tetras between the packing, activities, and travel.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We are looking into this but adding the Rome or Naples and the train into the mix as well as the time adds a couple of days to our transit and substantial cost. We have taken the train from Rome and Naples before. It worked out well but we were traveling under different circumstances and requirements. Due to activities in our after camino 2+ months buying new clothes is really a last resort and souvenir clothing will not work for our plans and other family activities. Need some more formal outfits. But we are still finalizing the packing today. We are basically moving for 3-4 months with a camino stuck near the beginning.

This is feeling like a real life game of tetras between the packing, activities, and travel.
I get that! How frustrating. Sorry I can't help by recommending someone to help! Another suggestion - may also be crazy expensive - have you tried just mailing a few items or ordering from home to be shipped to your destination? I am guessing that is a challenge too! Good luck!

We will check out this route again and have been all over google flights on this particular leg. The problem is the size of the baggage allowed by Ryanair in their hold. I believe we are over on both height and width. Weight isn't much of a problem but the dimensions are what is causing the problem. But again we will check out that route again to see if it will accommodate our luggage. If it was just us and our backpacks it would be easy.

As I'm sure you're already aware, according to RyanAir the maximum size for a checked bag is 81x119x119cm, or approximately 32x47x47 inches – which strikes me as a fairly massive bag!

For comparison, Delta's maximum checked bag size is 158cm/62 inches combined dimensions - which is smaller than the RyanAir allowance. Are you sure the bag you're taking will even be allowed on your flight from/back to the U.S.?

Regardless of the above, your idea of Tetris-ing your bags – or at least carrying a few smaller ones instead of one massive one – might be the easiest option all around.

Last edited:
You can take the 5:38 am Renfe train to Madrid, which arrives at 8:45.
Then there is a Vueling flight at 2:00 pm, which arrives in Catania at 7:25pm which includes a cabin bag and a 25kg checked bag.

Since you have more control over the size of your bags than the sizes that the airline will accept I suggest that you adjust accordingly.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I get that! How frustrating. Sorry I can't help by recommending someone to help! Another suggestion - may also be crazy expensive - have you tried just mailing a few items or ordering from home to be shipped to your destination? I am guessing that is a challenge too! Good luck!
Good idea about mailing/shipping. We did look into that. It is an international shipment from Spain to Italy. Taking a queue from Ivar and past international shipping experience DHL is the best way to move the luggage. DHL gave me a quote from Spain to Italy of about 300e and 2-3 days. Still an option that might work.

As I'm sure you're already aware, according to RyanAir the maximum size for a checked bag is 81x119x119cm, or approximately 32x47x47 inches – which strikes me as a fairly massive bag!

For comparison, Delta's maximum checked bag size is 158cm/62 inches combined dimensions - which is smaller than the RyanAir allowance. Are you sure the bag you're taking will even be allowed on your flight from/back to the U.S.?

Regardless of the above, your idea of Tetris-ing your bags – or at least carrying a few smaller ones instead of one massive one – might be the easiest option all around.
We fit everything on out Delta flights from the USA to Spain, and again on the return from Italy to USA. We have taken the specific problematic bag on Delta domestic and international flights before with no problems. But the specific flights from Santiago on Ryanair seems to be the limitations on size due to the specific plane used out of Santiago but will check again this afternoon/evening. Thank you for the effort. I hope to have this resolved by tomorrow, Tuesday, afternoon.

The reason my wife wanted an actual person in Santiago was in the hope they were familiar with the flights, planes used, and baggage size limitations having worked these items for other people.

You can take the 5:38 am Renfe train to Madrid, which arrives at 8:45.
Then there is a Vueling flight at 2:00 pm, which arrives in Catania at 7:25pm which includes a cabin bag and a 25kg checked bag.

Since you have more control over the size of your bags than the sizes that the airline will accept I suggest that you adjust accordingly.
We looked at that schedule and will again today. As far as adjusting the size of our luggage, we are working on it. I did take a quick look at Vueling and they mention the 25 kilo limit but not the bag dimensions. We will take a deeper look at this tonight and see if we can make this work.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just checked to see if there was anything more helpful using Vigo as a transport hub, as there is a bus from SDC to Vigo about every hour, and it is only 1 hour 20 minutes. But no, from there you go via Madrid. So getting to Madrid and using it as your take-off for Italy seems the most logical.

We fit everything on out Delta flights from the USA to Spain, and again on the return from Italy to USA. We have taken the specific problematic bag on Delta domestic and international flights before with no problems. But the specific flights from Santiago on Ryanair seems to be the limitations on size due to the specific plane used out of Santiago but will check again this afternoon/evening. Thank you for the effort. I hope to have this resolved by tomorrow, Tuesday, afternoon.

It does sound vexing! Good luck with your planning - keep us posted :)

First, I want to thank everyone that has provided suggestions, alternatives, and help of any kind. We have been fairly stressed about this cropping up at our last minute.

We have gotten it all sorted out. Train from SdC to Madrid, Ryanair from Madrid to Catania. Luggage weight and size all taken care of, still tight, but will work.

All this after we thought everything was done caused more heartburn than we really wanted. So now we are set, and packing is 80% done. Taking a deep breath, a glass of wine, and let the camino provide.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
First, I want to thank everyone that has provided suggestions, alternatives, and help of any kind. We have been fairly stressed about this cropping up at our last minute.

We have gotten it all sorted out. Train from SdC to Madrid, Ryanair from Madrid to Catania. Luggage weight and size all taken care of, still tight, but will work.

All this after we thought everything was done caused more heartburn than we really wanted. So now we are set, and packing is 80% done. Taking a deep breath, a glass of wine, and let the camino provide.
Thank goodness. I have been lurking, and was feeling your pain. I'm glad you have resolved this.

I'm glad everything worked out and you definitely deserve some wine after all of that.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.