• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking shoes

wanderwoman

Hi!!

I have been having a few problems with a very trusty old pair of scarpa hiking shoes, getting really sore toes. So I'm looking in to new shoes and thinking I'd prefer something much lighter. I'm looking at saloman shoes... I've used them before, like a cross between a sneaking and a heavier hiking shoe. I've never walked the camino so my question to those who have is are these too light? The biggest issue will be that they are not waterproof.... Thoughts? ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1407677822.448178.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi!

I actually walked my 2012 Camino in Montrail trail running shoes and loved them. Super light, comfortable, and no, not waterproof on the mesh top-of-the-toes area. I wore little anklet duo-dry socks and did not have any foot issues the whole time. My walking partner wore his hiking boot and heavy duty hiking socks and had horrible blisters and foot issues. Not saying that goes for everyone- many people walk in heavier footwear and do just fine.

When I walk again in a couple months I'll be wearing the same type of shoe no question! They are what work for my feet- and the trail itself is not really something you NEED heavy boots for. Unfortunately, you will have very sore feet for the first week or so no matter what, but you can at least wear the right shoes so you don't get blisters and things! Good luck finding something you love :)

EDIT: Forgot to ask when you are walking-- because that will of course mean if you actually need the waterproofing or not.
Buen Camino!!

Hi vagabondo,

Thanks for that!! All my shoes and boots are for snow etc and I much prefer a lighter shoe! Good to hear a positive experience. I start late September through October!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi vagabondo,

Thanks for that!! All my shoes and boots are for snow etc and I much prefer a lighter shoe! Good to hear a positive experience. I start late September through October!!

I start in Pamplona on Oct 1st, perhaps we will cross paths at some point!!

Sure they are comfortable, but you need as much support for your ankles, knees, and back as you can, I would choose boots - North Face has some light weight boots (not my favorite), Scarpa has changed over the years and are not as good as they once were, Salomon are my favorite but choose carefully since some models tend to the heavy side. Why all this, remember the "Sun Screen Song"? Most of us were convinced about the sun screen verse, <--- see me at left and my beard which has turned blonde these past few years, the song continues "Be kind to your knees, you will miss them when they are gone". Alas so true. You might not feel anything this time around, write again in another 20 years and tell me about it.

I walked the C. Frances in 2012 at the same time of year that you are going -- September 22 into October -- in Salomon Women's X Ultra GTX shoes, which are trail runners / light hikers. They were very lightweight, cushy, snug but roomy, and perfect for every condition one encounters -- uphill, downhill, rocks, gravel, asphalt, mud, and even pouring rain, as they are water-resistant on the exterior and have a Gortex (waterproof-breathable) membrane under that. They were so fantastic that I ordered a second pair the minute I got home, and I'm hoping to use them on the Le Puy route this fall.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
gml,
Hi!

I actually walked my 2012 Camino in Montrail trail running shoes and loved them. Super light, comfortable, and no, not waterproof on the mesh top-of-the-toes area. I wore little anklet duo-dry socks and did not have any foot issues the whole time. My walking partner wore his hiking boot and heavy duty hiking socks and had horrible blisters and foot issues. Not saying that goes for everyone- many people walk in heavier footwear and do just fine.

When I walk again in a couple months I'll be wearing the same type of shoe no question! They are what work for my feet- and the trail itself is not really something you NEED heavy boots for. Unfortunately, you will have very sore feet for the first week or so no matter what, but you can at least wear the right shoes so you don't get blisters and things! Good luck finding something you love :)

EDIT: Forgot to ask when you are walking-- because that will of course mean if you actually need the waterproofing or not.
Buen Camino!!

Vagando - when did you walk in 2012? Did you have many wet days? What happens if it rains heavily and your feet get wet, do you get blisters?

I ask because I am planning to walk my first camino frances starting on Sept 2 and have still not decided on what shoes to take. I'm considering buying some trail running shoes (Salaomon XA Pro 3D that comes in both GTX and non GTX) as they seem a lovely fit, but do I go for the goretex version or the normal? I'd love to go for the normal, because I have some Merril Moab GTX shoes, and these give me prickly heat even at moderate temps. I've also got some Merril Ventilators, which are better on the prickly heat side but do not hold my heel securely, and whilst these are great for just a long day hike, I'm worried that I will soon get blisters on the Camino.

So do I need goretex in Sept/ early Oct???? That's the $64000 question.....

Hi Wanderwoman
I walked to Santiago last year Salomon shoes that were supposed to be waterproof. They had no ankle support and also leaked after about 400klms which was distressing; walking with wet socks and water sloshing around is no fun. Had them well broken in before I started and no blisters.
I am about walk from Le Puy on the 24 August and have Lowa boots which have full ankle support as the terrain can be rocky and ankle straining. I use walking poles to reduce the pressure on my ankles and knees. Also helps with balance with a pack on my back on steep terrain.
These days there are great lightweight boots; my wife has light weight Zamberlan boots that are waterproof. She has been preparing in them for about 2 months with no problems.
I vote for good quality lightweight boots a size larger as feet swell and people loose toe nails from the pressure.
Hope this helps
regards
Mark

gml,

Vagando - when did you walk in 2012? Did you have many wet days? What happens if it rains heavily and your feet get wet, do you get blisters?

I ask because I am planning to walk my first camino frances starting on Sept 2 and have still not decided on what shoes to take. I'm considering buying some trail running shoes (Salaomon XA Pro 3D that comes in both GTX and non GTX) as they seem a lovely fit, but do I go for the goretex version or the normal? I'd love to go for the normal, because I have some Merril Moab GTX shoes, and these give me prickly heat even at moderate temps. I've also got some Merril Ventilators, which are better on the prickly heat side but do not hold my heel securely, and whilst these are great for just a long day hike, I'm worried that I will soon get blisters on the Camino.

So do I need goretex in Sept/ early Oct???? That's the $64000 question.....
My question too!!!! Never thought I would angst so much over a hiking boot ( a high heel yes, but a boot?!)

xA

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wanderwoman - me too!!! I'm getting really wound up about my boots as we leave on 31 August! Ironically, my husband's Zamberlan boots developed a fault last week and have had to go back and he is worrying as to whether his other Merrill boots are too loose a fit, otherwise he would be making dark remarks about indecisive women and their shoes....

Hi Wanderwoman
I walked to Santiago last year Salomon shoes that were supposed to be waterproof. They had no ankle support and also leaked after about 400klms which was distressing; walking with wet socks and water sloshing around is no fun. Had them well broken in before I started and no blisters.
I am about walk from Le Puy on the 24 August and have Lowa boots which have full ankle support as the terrain can be rocky and ankle straining. I use walking poles to reduce the pressure on my ankles and knees. Also helps with balance with a pack on my back on steep terrain.
These days there are great lightweight boots; my wife has light weight Zamberlan boots that are waterproof. She has been preparing in them for about 2 months with no problems.
I vote for good quality lightweight boots a size larger as feet swell and people loose toe nails from the pressure.
Hope this helps
regards
Mark

Mark, when and where did you walk last year? Thanks.

I've now decided on a pair of Ahnu goretex hiking shoes and a pair of Solomon hiking boots after hours of research and a long chat with an expert. Australia is so expensive for kit so have purchased on Amazon then will send back the pair I don't want.

I'll still have a month to break them in though both are lightweight so hopefully won't be too much work. Both shoes are waterproof. I ultimately decided that's too important not to have.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Mark, when and where did you walk last year? Thanks.
Hi Felice
left St Jean 24 April 2013 and arrived Santiago June 12 (had tendonitis from walking too fast in the first 3 weeks so had forced rests later on)
cheers
Mark

Wanderwoman - me too!!! I'm getting really wound up about my boots as we leave on 31 August! Ironically, my husband's Zamberlan boots developed a fault last week and have had to go back and he is worrying as to whether his other Merrill boots are too loose a fit, otherwise he would be making dark remarks about indecisive women and their shoes....
Hi
Boots are a big issue and my learning curve has been steep; a combination of lots of walking and listening really knowledgeable people.
Some of my learnings so far.
  1. don't buy boots in the morning; buy in the afternoon as your feet swell during the day
  2. with the boots on in the store tap the toe cap with your heel up to move your toes to the front of the boot; then place your foot on the ground; you should then be able to fit the index finger down behind your heel. If so then the boot is the right size to allow for swelling as well as to keep the main part of the foot away from the front of the boot. This stops losing toe nails, blisters etc
  3. Once selected, before walking, put the boot on with the toes at about 60 degrees and tap the foot to the back of the boot. then lace up to ensure the foot is held to the back of the boot and the toes well back from the front. If there is a lot of steep downhill then it may warrant even tighter lacing at the part where the ankle is to keep the toes from hitting the front of the boot.
  4. Walking uphill may require loosening the upper part of the laces to allow the ankle to bend.
  5. Any hot spot means trouble; don't ignore even after only a short time. Find out why and treat.
  6. I don't have the issue with sweaty feet or prickly heat but met people last year who changed their socks several times each day to avoid problems.
Lots more to learn about this and welcome comments.
Hope this may help some.
cheers
Mark

My choice is (trail)runners and never waterproof ones, as that is what works for me. I know that boots works for others...

If your feet sweat, which mine do when it's warm, my experience is that waterproof shoes keep the moisture in. If it is really wet and cold, and I expect to be wet for several days, I might use Sealskinz as my outer sock and change my sock liner every few hours.

If the weather is not too cold, I've also walked with my usual set-up of liner/outer sock, and just let my feet become wet, then used the sealskinz as warm/dry slippers at the end of the day. I know that much is said about keeping your feet dry to prevent blisters, however as my shoes fit really well - wet feet has not caused me blisters, yet. Ill fitting boots and shoes have.

My go-to-brands atm are Salomon and Saucony as I know they have models that fit me so well that I can buy a new pair and walk out the shop with them on (this through trying and failing). Montrail Hardrock used to be my preferred shoe, then they stopped making the good Hardrock shoes and their last Hardrock version was shockingly bad - I've still not forgiven them for making a shoe that lasted less than 300km.

Whatever you choose - Buen Camino:)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back