• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hokas with wet grip?

woody66

This is my boy !
Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Coastal 2021 Frances Leon/Muxia2023
Hi All!
I have an issue and i need help please: I hope this isn't to ambiguous a question to answer?

Which HOKA has the best wet grip! (this i know is personal opinion; a bit like ask the audience on "Who wants to be a millionaire" but a general consensus nonetheless.)

I wore Hoka Stinson ATR6's for my Camino last year; I've brought another pair since then and wear them every day as so comfy!

But here is my one concern; they are awful in the wet.
(No grip; they act and even sound like a wet squeaky sponge on a windscreen they just go from under you.)

This wasn't a major issue last year as only one days rain out of 27 and that was on tarmac and trail; no mud and only one stretch of rocky slabs i remember that was really slippery .

I start the Frances next May which is daunting to say the least; but i want to stick with Hoka as have tried so many brands (brought a few as well) and the Hoka's win hands down for comfort over long distance.
Thanks in advance
All the best
Woody

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
About three years ago I tried the Hoka Challenger ATR 5. I think they have reasonably grippy tread with reasonable tread depth. They certainly wore the tread down fast enough for me to think it was a reasonably soft composition that would grip well in the wet. The rapid tread wear was one of several reasons I gave up on them after the second pair, and moved to using Asics or New Balance models which I can get in a more comfortable, extra wide fit here in Australia.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Some of the Hoka models have Vibram soles, off the top of my head Speedgoats and Mafates. I love my Speedgoats because of the superb comfort and grip!
Not all Vibram soles are equal. Some are better in wet conditions than others.

Hi All!
I have an issue and i need help please: I hope this isn't to ambiguous a question to answer?

Which HOKA has the best wet grip! (this i know is personal opinion; a bit like ask the audience on "Who wants to be a millionaire" but a general consensus nonetheless.)

I wore Hoka Stinson ATR6's for my Camino last year; I've brought another pair since then and wear them every day as so comfy!

(No grip; they act and even sound like a wet squeaky sponge on a windscreen they just go from under you.)

This wasn't a major issue last year as only one days rain out of 27 and that was on tarmac and trail; no mud and only one stretch of rocky slabs i remember that was really slippery .

I start the Frances next May which is daunting to say the least; but i want to stick with Hoka as have tried so many brands (brought a few as well) and the Hoka's win hands down for comfort over long distance.
Thanks in advance
All the best
Woody
Slipping has never been a problem, sometimes mud, often soaking feet. I've had several styles of Hokas and they all felt good in the store but lately I realized my attention to detail was lax. The thick tongue never dries. Be concious of the fabric and its ability to dry. There are good models out there but spending a pile of money for the wrong one hurts.

Good question! Leaving in a couple of weeks for Camino Primitivo and Salvador with HOKA Speedgoat v5.

This is what I found about them…

The Hoka Speedgoat 5 is a new shoe from the ground, up and the first thing on the ground is the newly designed outsole made using Vibram Megagrip with Traction Lug.

This is what Trecile’s article said about Vibram Megagrip…sounds promising…

MEGAGRIP

Unparalleled grip on wet and dry surfaces.
Superior grip with rugged longevity.
Optimal balance of stability and flexibility for ground adaptation.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good question! I have owned 7 pairs of Hoka's and live in a wet climate so qualified to answer. I use Stinsons when it is dry...but find them a bit slippery on wet rocks or wet concrete due to the non vibram sole. For wet weather...I use the Speedgoat 4 Goretex which has the vibram sole and way better grip on wet rocks and wet concrete. The current Speedgoat 5 would be a good choice if you did not want the extra water resistance. I plan on using my Speedgoat 4 Goretex Hokas in late October on the Del Norte. Buen Camino!

I like Brooks Dyad 11 runners. I need extra wide which they make, they are comfortable and have good enough grip on almost all surfaces.All shoes are a trade-off, so I go for comfort and light weight. Brooks however don’t last long, only about 250-300 miles of trail walking.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’m on the CF now wearing Hoka Speedgoat 5s (just reached Sarria) and so far they’ve been excellent. No issues with grip, but it’s been quite dry these past five weeks so they haven’t really been tested.

By the time I reach SdC they’ll probably have close to 1000km on them but they’re holding up great.

I’m on the CF now wearing Hoka Speedgoat 5s (just reached Sarria) and so far they’ve been excellent. No issues with grip, but it’s been quite dry these past five weeks so they haven’t really been tested.

By the time I reach SdC they’ll probably have close to 1000km on them but they’re holding up great.
Walked the entire Camino Frances and then on to Muxia in Hoka Speedgoat 5s in April/May They were great through wet, cold, hot and varied terrain. Brought them home as they still have some tread.

Walked the entire Camino Frances and then on to Muxia in Hoka Speedgoat 5s in April/May They were great through wet, cold, hot and varied terrain. Brought them home as they still have some tread.
Mine still have good tread but they’re incredibly gross at this point and will definitely get tossed in Santiago.

I don’t want to subject my fellow passengers on the long flight home to eau de peregrino. :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi All!

Thanks in advance
All the best
Woody
Speedgoat 5 and comes in 2 widths

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks everyone for your replies i appreciate you taking the time.
I think Speedgoat's are ahead by a country mile; as they are so far the sole contender:)!!
I will defo give them a go!
Also the mileages your getting from them seems pretty good for a trail runner.
All the best
Woody

MEGAGRIP

Unparalleled grip on wet and dry surfaces.
Superior grip with rugged longevity.
Optimal balance of stability and flexibility for ground adaptation.
This is marketing hype of the worst type. Anyone with an elementary knowledge of elastomers will know that either grip and life, or stability and flexibility, are competing design characteristics where one is traded off against the other during the development of any 'rubber' product. As a general observation, softer elastomer compounds are more flexible and grip better, but wear faster and are less rigid so offer less stability. This is as true for the whole gamut of elastomers in our lives, from outer soles on footwear to car tyre compounds.

Hi All!

Thanks in advance
All the best
Woody
Look into the Hoka Speedgoats. Very comfortable, breathable and lightweight. And they have an aggressive tread as they are built for trails. I section hiked part of the CF last year and they were great. Section hiking the Del Norte with them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is marketing hype of the worst type
I don’t doubt your summary dougfix…since mid 2020 I have gone through 4 pairs of HOKA Bondi’s…however they have been a game changer for me. I accepted the trade off between comfort (high) and durability (~1,000 kms for city walking).

Switching to HOKA Speedgoat’s for upcoming Primitivo/Salvador combination (14 more sleeps 😊) based on expected/hoped for additional gripping factor on wet surfaces etc). Hopefully the marketing hype in that regard holds up!

About to find out!

Guy

Hi All!

Thanks in advance
All the best
Woody
I just tried on the new and very expensive HOKA Tecton trail runners with nice Vibram sole lugs. I’m considering them vs my Bondi (I’m a dedicated HOKA wearer).

Attachments

• 2CED3B74-9ACE-4C97-9C37-9D33F28292E2.jpeg
    2CED3B74-9ACE-4C97-9C37-9D33F28292E2.jpeg
    328.7 KB · Views: 6
I accepted the trade off between comfort (high) and durability (~1,000 kms for city walking).
I hope you get a reasonable outcome from your Hokas. As I said earlier, the model I bought (twice) wore remarkably quickly. Not only did the tread of the outer sole wear through, the middle layer had lost its resilience and collapsed, and the unprotected section between the forefoot and the heel was being worn through as well.

In the past with Asics and NB shoes, I have gotten about a year of use as my primary shoe, and a further year as my training shoe before the shoe is retired. Both sets of the Hokas needed to be retired after less than nine months. This is certainly well short of the distances you seem to have achieved, although a new pair might have lasted me for a longer Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don’t doubt your summary dougfix…since mid 2020 I have gone through 4 pairs of HOKA Bondi’s…however they have been a game changer for me. I accepted the trade off between comfort (high) and durability (~1,000 kms for city walking).

Switching to HOKA Speedgoat’s for upcoming Primitivo/Salvador combination (14 more sleeps 😊) based on expected/hoped for additional gripping factor on wet surfaces etc). Hopefully the marketing hype in that regard holds up!

About to find out!

Guy
Please post your experience in the Speedgoat once on the Salvador. I’m between the Tecton vs Stinson ATR

Love my Hoka Sky Kaha's, which are a higher cut for ankle support. Recently bought my second pair and hoping that they hold up as well as the first did.

On the Camino now in carrion de los condes wearing my hoka bondis. Loving them. Went through 2 rainstorms and had no slipping and they dried by the next day. Ironically my husband has had a terrible time with slipping in his oboz boots ( he’s never had this problem before). I will say that the tread on the bottom of my bondis bottom is getting worn much faster than at home. I usually get about 500 miles from a pair. I am considering purchasing another pair in Leon.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Last September I wore Hoka Speedgoat 4’s on the CF: performed very well, no issues in rain or any terrain. Poorer wear than expected though, midsole compression (weigh 165#) & tread wear. I’d like to try the SG 5’s, as overall I was very happy with the ride.

Please post your experience in the Speedgoat once on the Salvador. I’m between the Tecton vs Stinson ATR
Sure will do however easiest way might be to take look every once in a while at my blog which I intend to update on a daily basis. I am doing this backwards 😂 (to meet a couple of folks from previous walks) and walking the Primitivo before the Salvador.

I will be sure to comment on the HOKA Speedgoat V5 as well as my new Packa poncho…have a video of my first attempt at using the Packa on the blog…I can only get better…I think 🤔 Not sure my wife agrees 😂

Here is the link to my blog if interested.

Guy

Last edited:
Last September I wore Hoka Speedgoat 4’s on the CF: performed very well, no issues in rain or any terrain. Poorer wear than expected though, midsole compression (weigh 165#) & tread wear. I’d like to try the SG 5’s, as overall I was very happy with the ride.
My Salomon trail runners on the Norte had zero tread after 500 km. I switched to Hoka as the Salomon didn’t fair well in the constant rain and caused a serious metatarsalgia. Since Hokas I’m pain free.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
After reading weeks of rave reviews about the Speedgoat5, I tried on several at REI today. They did not have my wide version, so obviously felt too narrow. But that aside, the low stitched seam around the heal seems like it might generate a hot spot & blister if the wall degrades and folds or wrinkles. Any comments on that? I wish I could try the wide but for $155, I think I’ll stick with the devil I know (Dyad 11 4E) for now.

Hi All!

Thanks in advance
All the best
Woody
I wear Speedgoat 5 for running in the UK, I live in the North where it is always wet. I have just completed the Francis from St Jean in a pair and they were fantastic. They are quite narrow but I believe they do a wide. But for cushion and grip they are hard to beat. I've also had Torrent and Challenger ATR but the Speedgoats win for me on grip. Buen Camino.

I wear Speedgoat 5 for running in the UK, I live in the North where it is always wet. I have just completed the Francis from St Jean in a pair and they were fantastic. They are quite narrow but I believe they do a wide. But for cushion and grip they are hard to beat. I've also had Torrent and Challenger ATR but the Speedgoats win for me on grip. Buen Camino.
Does the leatherette tongue chaff the front of the ankle? I’ve read this complaint when they switched from the more foamy material tongue. Are they a plush / cushiony feeling ? Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes they are very spongy and
Does the leatherette tongue chaff the front of the ankle? I’ve read this complaint when they switched from the more foamy material tongue. Are they a plush / cushiony feeling ?
Yes they are very spongy, cushiony.....more than my other Hokas. The tongue does not chaff on the 5's as they have made it sit much lower and shaped it. That was my bugbear with the Speedgoat 4s the tongue rubbed if you did not have thick socks. Just make sure you look at the 5s as they have a few nice improvements on the 4s. They are a lot easier to get on as they go outwards at the back and the 4s went in a bit so I was always treading the backs down. They've also made the laces longer which was another one of my gripes.....there's enough lace now in the 5s to do the extra runners loop at the top to make them even more secure. Give them a try you'll either love them or hate them.

Yes they are very spongy and

Yes they are very spongy, cushiony.....more than my other Hokas. The tongue does not chaff on the 5's as they have made it sit much lower and shaped it. That was my bugbear with the Speedgoat 4s the tongue rubbed if you did not have thick socks. Just make sure you look at the 5s as they have a few nice improvements on the 4s. They are a lot easier to get on as they go outwards at the back and the 4s went in a bit so I was always treading the backs down. They've also made the laces longer which was another one of my gripes.....there's enough lace now in the 5s to do the extra runners loop at the top to make them even more secure. Give them a try you'll either love them or hate them.
Super response THANKS I will.

I've been wearing Speedgoat 4 for several years and really liked them. I recently ordered two pairs of Speedgoat 5 (different sizes) and was dissappointed that they won't work for me. The midsole is softer but too flexible for my feet. The sizing also seemed off, the 8D looked and felt exactly the same size as my older 7.5 in a regular width.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sure will do however easiest way might be to take look every once in a while at my blog which I intend to update on a daily basis. I am doing this backwards 😂 (to meet a couple of folks from previous walks) and walking the Primitivo before the Salvador.

I will be sure to comment on the HOKA Speedgoat V5 as well as my new Packa poncho…have a video of my first attempt at using the Packa on the blog…I can only get better…I think 🤔 Not sure my wife agrees 😂

Here is the link to my blog if interested.

Guy

Hi GuyA: Did you post about your experience with the Packa? My husband and I are considering buying them. Thanks!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.