• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hospitalero threatened and punched - O Pino

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
La Voz de Galicia has an article about an assault on a hospitalero in O Pino this weekend. A pilgrim refused to complete a registration form and became angry and abusive towards the hospitalero - eventually rushing at him and punching him. An incident captured on video. It is stated that although such incidents are still quite rare they have become more common in recent times.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
La Voz de Galicia has an article about an assault on a hospitalero in O Pino this weekend. A pilgrim refused to complete a registration form and became angry and abusive towards the hospitalero - eventually rushing at him and punching him. An incident captured on video. It is stated that although such incidents are still quite rare they have become more common in recent times.

I hope the attacker is found and held to account - if only he had completed the registration form

(Edit. Having watched the video; that CCTV camera wants repositioning; it’s useless.)

Last edited:
Regrettable, and odd. Any pilgrim in O Pino has presumably been on Camino for at least two days and must have experienced the compulsory registration process previously.
What are they putting in the Orujo these days?

@Bradypus, I had a hell of a fight to access that article. The occasional translated quote might assist the phone bound

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Bradypus, I had a hell of a fight to access that article. The occasional translated quote might assist the phone bound
"I promise you that you are going to regret it", "I swear on my friend that I am going to bust you" , "I am going to stay day and night until you come out" are some of the threats made loudly by the attacker , whose identity has not been disclosed."

"In fifteen years that I have been open or in a hostel, this has never happened to me, incidents yes, but none like this ," adds José Ramón when recalling the attack last Saturday, "

"although these attacks are not the norm, they are becoming more frequent. "In recent years, there has been a change in the profile of some people who are going to do Camiño , " laments José Ramón, who confirms that on many occasions the problem lies in the fact that they do not accept that some hostels have closing hours at night."

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
How horrible. No one should have to endure abuse from a pilgrim or tourist or anyone else for that matter. Unfortunately - the more people on the trail, the more likely these isolated incidents can occur.

Quite unbelievable and appalling. That's one violent criminal that shouldn't have been given the Camino option for repentance.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Hospitalero are volunteers, we have training but not all the answers. We speak some languages but not all. We are here to help please be patient. Mental illness is worldwide we do our best without being psychologists, help us when you see we need help.

"I promise you that you are going to regret it", "I swear on my friend that I am going to bust you" , "I am going to stay day and night until you come out" are some of the threats made loudly by the attacker , whose identity has not been disclosed."

"In fifteen years that I have been open or in a hostel, this has never happened to me, incidents yes, but none like this ," adds José Ramón when recalling the attack last Saturday, "

"although these attacks are not the norm, they are becoming more frequent. "In recent years, there has been a change in the profile of some people who are going to do Camiño , " laments José Ramón, who confirms that on many occasions the problem lies in the fact that they do not accept that some hostels have closing hours at night."
This is so sad and horrible to read. What is this person thinking of, to abuse the generosity of the hospitalero in this way? I’ve recently seen the Camino described as ‘something to tick off the bucket list’. Let’s hope for us genuine folk that something else more ’fashionable’ will come along for these people. One video showed a man abusing a fellow walker walking past a café for keeping him awake snoring, threatening to hit him if he did it again!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I’ve recently seen the Camino described as ‘something to tick off the bucket list’. Let’s hope for us genuine folk that something else more ’fashionable’ will come along for these people.
Amen. Or even better that they catch the good of the Camino and settle into a deeper place along the way.
One video showed a man abusing a fellow walker walking past a café for keeping him awake snoring, threatening to hit him if he did it again
People now think it's ok to be abusive in public?
This is awful anywhere, but especially on the camino. Common humanity...brotherly love...the camino has been so good at turning us towards the opposites of entitled selfishness. Now it seems there are brats - bullies - in grown-up bodies, spewing their anger at innocent pilgrims too...

That's a common humanity challenge. We have to up.our game, good people.

Hospitaleros make the Camino what it is, and they are wonderful. With rotating volunteers in albergues, when you visit a place for the second time you get a chance to see how a hospitalero can turn an average hostel into a paradise.

Or vice versa. Hospitaleros are people and so are pilgrims. They get annoyed, they have bad days, they lose the head from time to time. It's human and it doesn't change even on the Camino. How could it?

I hate to say this, but on a very few occasions I've been tempted to clatter a hospitalero myself, because some of them are bullies, and some of them are rude, and some are insulting. There are many nationalities on the Camino. Many anthropologies. Some of us are from indirect cultures with honour codes and thus very easy to insult, unintentionally, with problematic consequences. Some hospitaleros should be doing something else. They have no business dealing with pilgrims, or with the public on any basis. I would politely ask organisations responsible for staffing albergues to identify such persons and move them to a non-public-facing role, for the sake of all of us. Leaving the delightful 99.9% to work their magic.

Regrettable, and odd. Any pilgrim in O Pino has presumably been on Camino for at least two days and must have experienced the compulsory registration process previously.
What are they putting in the Orujo these days?

My thoughts exactly, though the measures they usually give don’t require additional “doctoring”. It’s no consolation to the poor hospitalero but the attacker sounded and looked as if he could well be suffering a mental illness. Mind you, Orujo, taken in sufficient quantity, is apt to give similar symptoms.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hospitaleros make the Camino what it is, and they are wonderful. With rotating volunteers in albergues, when you visit a place for the second time you get a chance to see how a hospitalero can turn an average hostel into a paradise.

Or vice versa. Hospitaleros are people and so are pilgrims. They get annoyed, they have bad days, they lose the head from time to time. It's human and it doesn't change even on the Camino. How could it?

I hate to say this, but on a very few occasions I've been tempted to clatter a hospitalero myself, because some of them are bullies, and some of them are rude, and some are insulting. There are many nationalities on the Camino. Many anthropologies. Some of us are from indirect cultures with honour codes and thus very easy to insult, unintentionally, with problematic consequences. Some hospitaleros should be doing something else. They have no business dealing with pilgrims, or with the public on any basis. I would politely ask organisations responsible for staffing albergues to identify such persons and move them to a non-public-facing role, for the sake of all of us. Leaving the delightful 99.9% to work their magic.
In this case, the hospitalero was actually the owner of the private albergue and not a volunteer. The pilgrim refused to fill out the "form" with the required information (in the article it said he refused 3 times) and then threatened the hospitalero verbally. He left briefly and then returned to strike him when the hospitalero was helping another pilgrim. There was a thread a while back about the information that was required by the government and some possible additions to that information and many responded that they didn't mind the data collection. Apparently this pilgrim did mind...

Let me state that any anger, aggression or even impatience directed at another human being is morally wrong and the absolute responsibility of the offender.

But how can things be improved? One way is the approach taken by Galician municipal albergues. They now have an app that scans the data from a passport directly, requiring no data entry during registration. It's not working 100% yet but it's a start. The fact is that in high summer the line of 75 pilgrims moves very slowly, and those at the end have no way of knowing if they'll get a bed. This is going to generate a lot of irritation on both sides. Anything that speeds up the registration process is useful. Hospitaleros might be urged to cut their welcoming spiel as short as possible. Where possible, two reg desks, and two people to show pilgrims where to go.

As for the info, pilgrims should be aware that to collect it is a legal requirement which is in the pilgrims' interest, because the police use this info to provide the excellent security which the Camino enjoys.

Let's try to see both sides and improve systems to facilitate both.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Deplorable. And sad.
yes truly deplorable and sad. But again the person said that this is the first such incident in 15 years... so not a regular occurence....and even though one is on the Camino, it doesn't mean that one is not still with humanity....

Still, very sad and quite deplorable...I hope that this person afflicted with the rage finds peace...and learns some civil manners....

Let me state that any anger, aggression or even impatience directed at another human being is morally wrong and the absolute responsibility of the offender.

But how can things be improved? One way is the approach taken by Galician municipal albergues. They now have an app that scans the data from a passport directly, requiring no data entry during registration. It's not working 100% yet but it's a start. The fact is that in high summer the line of 75 pilgrims moves very slowly, and those at the end have no way of knowing if they'll get a bed. This is going to generate a lot of irritation on both sides. Anything that speeds up the registration process is useful. Hospitaleros might be urged to cut their welcoming spiel as short as possible. Where possible, two reg desks, and two people to show pilgrims where to go.

As for the info, pilgrims should be aware that to collect it is a legal requirement which is in the pilgrims' interest, because the police use this info to provide the excellent security which the Camino enjoys.

What about showing some patience? Why oh why do people insist on " improving " stuff on a Camino.
It is not a slick Club Med holiday.
And for heavens' sake , I do hope that any hospi will keep up with " the welcoming spiel " because it is the perfect example of the generosity and uniqueness of the Camino.

A tourist demands and a pilgrim asks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think it's important not to allow the (often performative) humility of the "true" pilgrim to distract from the task of making the Camino better for pilgrims, hospitaleros and locals alike.

People do the Camino for serious personal reasons, and are often in a sensitive emotional state. Their experience ought not to be marred by problems which could easily be resolved, such as lack of beds and the current issue of improving communication between hospitaleros and pilgrims for the benefit of both.

As for the welcome spiel, it must be as tedious for the hospitalero to repeat it 50 times as it is for the line of weary pilgrims waiting in the sun, uncertain even if they'll get a bed-- because the hospitaleros haven't done a quick count of the line and notified the unlucky ones that they must begin the trudge to the next albergue, or the next town.

This is going to generate a lot of irritation on both sides
As you said, it's morally indefensible to react to irritation with violence, verbal or physical.
This is a case that does not have "both sides". The video is perfectly clear with all of the aggression on the part of the attacker....unprovoked
Absolutely.
But there are many people in the world right now with imagined grievances who react with disproportionate violence when they've been triggered.

Their experience ought not to be marred by problems which could easily be resolved, such as lack of beds
Really? Wow. Whatever happened to sleeping under a church porch, in a funky shed, or on a mat in the local gym? People walking the camino have lived without guaranteed beds for a millennium and suddenly we are such fragile flowers that we "ought not to be marred by problems?"

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think it's important not to allow the (often performative) humility of the "true" pilgrim to distract from the task of making the Camino better for pilgrims, hospitaleros and locals alike.

People do the Camino for serious personal reasons, and are often in a sensitive emotional state. Their experience ought not to be marred by problems which could easily be resolved, such as lack of beds and the current issue of improving communication between hospitaleros and pilgrims for the benefit of both.

As for the welcome spiel, it must be as tedious for the hospitalero to repeat it 50 times as it is for the line of weary pilgrims waiting in the sun, uncertain even if they'll get a bed-- because the hospitaleros haven't done a quick count of the line and notified the unlucky ones that they must begin the trudge to the next albergue, or the next town.
In this case, there was no one else waiting in a line except perhaps the other pilgrim that took no part in the situation so that does not seem to be the cause of the behavior.

Believe me as hospitaleros, we know how many are waiting, we often offer water or fruit to make the wait less difficult and we do let people know how many beds there are. We don't rush them to check in, but try to find a place for them to rest in the shade or warmth or let them use the bathroom while they patiently wait their turn. I am sorry if you have had a bad experience, but please don't lump everyone together. It is not tedious to offer hospitality. It is the only gift we have to give...

Umm no?
There is only one side to this picture.
A grown man attacking a hospitalero because he didn't want to follow the rules.

This is exactly one reason I'm still considering whether or not to take pilgrims again.
It's changed... The Camino is no longer considered a pilgrimage to many - but a "box" to brag you've checked..

As you said, it's morally indefensible to react to irritation with violence, verbal or physical.

Absolutely.
But there are many people in the world right now with imagined grievances who react with disproportionate violence when they've been triggered.

Really? Wow. Whatever happened to sleeping under a church porch, in a funky shed, or on a mat in the local gym? People walking the camino have lived without guaranteed beds for a millennium and suddenly we are such fragile flowers that we "ought not to be marred by problems?"
👍

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My thoughts exactly, though the measures they usually give don’t require additional “doctoring”. It’s no consolation to the poor hospitalero but the attacker sounded and looked as if he could well be suffering a mental illness. Mind you, Orujo, taken in sufficient quantity, is apt to give similar symptoms.
Yes, mental illness seems likely, although that does not make it ok, nor is it a consolation to the hospitalero.

From watching the video, it looks very much like a totally unprovoked act of violence - not an issue where there are two sides. The aggressor is a Spanish speaker and almost certainly Spanish so given that collecting personal data is standard procedure in all Spanish hotels etc, the attacker would know this. But this is the first time I have heard of an attack like this: I don't recall any reports on this forum at any rate so this kind of thing is thankfully exceptionally rare.

Also, given the apparent totally random nature of the attack, I can't see how reducing waiting times at albergues is going to make much difference.

A news article today reports that the same man created another disturbance - this time without physical violence - at the Xunta albergue in Palas de Rei two days later. A young Catalan man walking the Camino in reverse. It seems he climbed into the building through a window when the albergue was closed and was confronted by a hospitalero who called the Guardia Civil because of the man's intimidating attitude.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I promise I will behave during my Comino walk. Dignity, respect and civility makes for a better day.

I sort of found it equally disturbing that the others there didn’t seem to come to the hospi’s aid

Yes and no. In this day and age when people are known to carry knives and have a tendency to use them you have to weigh up any action you consider taking very carefully. There is no point getting into an altercation if that person turns around stabs you.

Saying that i would have grabbed him and took him down. But I am a big guy and suitably heavy, also trained in Martial Arts. If I jump on someone they are probably going to end up on the ground unless they are used to carrying 130kg. If you weigh 70kg or maybe even 100kg, it's a different story. You better be very sure to get that person on the ground and disable them quickly, then hold them down until the police arrive. If you aren't then don't get involved as you will probably get hurt.

An article by Anton Pombo on Gronze.com about recent incidents of aggression towards hospitaleros.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I very much agree with the thoughtful final paragraph of the article (quoted below)_
The downward atmosphere of the Camino is depressing to those who are veterans of earlier and more basic times. Some of the less traveled routes still hold the old feel...but many of them are quickly degrading as well.

The call for more and more commercial and tourist like additions is overwhelming the pilgrim media, including the forum. Roller suitcases have become a necessity and are normal now. Many newer and first time pilgrims are led to follow this trend along with many other commercial offerings. Sad.

Sadly, the voices and opinions of those of us who feel like we have lost a valuable culture are shouted down by accusations of "judgemental" by those who favor the complete makeover now taking place.

I feel sure that this post will bring out the pitchforks and torches in the call to silence any opinions that the commercialization is a good thing.

Sadly, the Camino as many of us knew it has been mutated into something almost unrecognizable

"....Some people think that the situation of the Camino is degenerating by leaps and bounds, especially this year when several itineraries are overwhelmed by the influx, and entering a state of entropy (decomposition, disorder, chaos). We do not want to be alarmist, but perhaps a large part of the problem lies in the overcrowding fostered by the tourism industry , including the low-cost pull effect, which has brought people to these pilgrimage itineraries who, without so much publicity and pull effect, It would never have occurred to him to do the Camino.

The Jacobean route has become a fashionable destination, an object of desire, a challenge that everyone has to complete, under penalty of being left out of the consumer wave, even in four or five days. And from those powders... come these muds...."

Last edited:
I very much agree with the thoughtful final paragraph of the article (quoted below)_
The downward atmosphere of the Camino is depressing to those who are veterans of earlier and more basic times. Some of the less traveled routes still hold the old feel...but many of them are quickly degrading as well.

The call for more and more commercial and tourist like additions is overwhelming the pilgrim media, including the forum. Roller suitcases have become a necessity and are normal now. Many newer and first time pilgrims are led to follow this trend along with many other commercial offerings. Sad.

Sadly, the voices and opinions of those of us who feel like we have lost a valuable culture are shouted down by accusations of "judgemental" by those who favor the complete makeover now taking place.

I feel sure that this post will bring out the pitchforks and torches in the call to silence any opinions that the commercialization is a good thing.

Sadly, the Camino as many of us knew it has been mutated into something almost unrecognizable

"....Some people think that the situation of the Camino is degenerating by leaps and bounds, especially this year when several itineraries are overwhelmed by the influx, and entering a state of entropy (decomposition, disorder, chaos). We do not want to be alarmist, but perhaps a large part of the problem lies in the overcrowding fostered by the tourism industry , including the low-cost pull effect, which has brought people to these pilgrimage itineraries who, without so much publicity and pull effect, It would never have occurred to him to do the Camino.

The Jacobean route has become a fashionable destination, an object of desire, a challenge that everyone has to complete, under penalty of being left out of the consumer wave, even in four or five days. And from those powders... come these muds...."
I do feel there is still an opportunity for the kind of pilgrimage that involves fewer people and less commercialism, however, I think pilgrims who want that need to seek it out. Taking less traveled routes is one way or going in the quieter winter season is another.

I have volunteered on the CF in both winter and summer and on other routes in both winter and summer. Because of the nature of the places where we volunteer, we see the more traditional pilgrims. Most of them are not looking for private rooms, pack transfer, or other support services. Most are pilgrims who enjoy cooking together, playing the guitar and telling stories in a community atmosphere.

We have had a few unpleasant moments as hospitaleros where we've had to remove pilgrims to protect others or hold firm to specific albergue rules, however they don't diminish the joy or satisfaction I feel in volunteering as a hospitalera. These violent incidents reported are sad, but they don't deter me from wanting to continue to volunteer.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I really appreciate what you are saying. In addition to my interest in the Camino I have also been an avid visitor to the battlefields of the First World War, where we would camp for a few weeks at a time. We would be in our boots with rucksacks, trench maps and OS maps when a coach would pull up and decant 30 people into what had felt like “our space.” I suspect it’s part of what we disparagingly refer to as “progress”. The earlier pilgrims would scorn our modern waterproofs, sunglasses, water systems and mobile phones. The other point is that people who live on these sites also need to make a living and you can’t blame them for cashing in. These things probably go in waves and our grandchildren may have the chance of a simpler and purer Camino. Who knows? Global warming or nuclear war may put an end to Caminos entirely. Just enjoy what we’ve got while it’s there.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Fantastic way to start, David!

Did you make a reservation? :cool:
I wrote to let them know I would be passing through and see if there would be a place to stay. It is recommended and considered courteous to do so on these less-travelled routes where they don't necessarily see a pilgrim every day. Sometimes that's how you find out where to pick up the key to the albergue (or what the door code is), I'm told.

The first day on the Madrid usually involves a long trudge out of the city and environs....unless you are starting a bit further along. Actually, I would recommend starting away from the city.
Much of the route has pretty traditional accommodations...just less pilgrims and tourist nonsense.
Enjoy

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The first day on the Madrid usually involves a long trudge out of the city and environs....unless you are starting a bit further along. Actually, I would recommend starting away from the city.
Much of the route has pretty traditional accommodations...just less pilgrims and tourist nonsense.
Enjoy
Actually, in a sense I will be doing the opposite - starting from the south end of the city. I used to live in Madrid and I will be starting from the front door of where I used to live. This will be my "front door Camino". Just my luck that I used to live at the south end of the city.

What I will actually do is walk from my front door through much of the city on the day of my arrival, sleep in Madrid, and then take the Metro to where I left off to give me a head start on my first day out of Madrid. But I am pretty committed to starting from my front door rather than somewhere more convenient.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back