• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hotel rooms rather than hostels?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Not only is private accommodation not tabu...it's chic! I do it much of the time. Haven't used a luggage carrying service yet, but I'm thinking about it.

Just enjoy, kacacc

Rob

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Kacacc,

You can stay in whichever style accommodation you feel like and your Camino will be no more or no less worthwhile than anyone else's.

The deciding factor about where to stay is more to do with practical considerations like whether there are vacancies or not , what your budget is and what sort of experience you want to have.

Do it your own way and love it.

Jason.

We take hotels too. Not always, but if available and promising...
I have a preference for spanish hotels which are run by families, sometimes already by generations.
The conversations with them are great, the service superb and their smiles unforgetable.

I never will forget the sad face of one owner who wanted to give me a bottle of liqueur for the road, which I refused politely because of the weight...but a couple of minutes later after some discussion in half spanish, half english I got his smile when I said that a couple of biscuits would be easier to carry.

With my pockets full of cakes I left this hotel, both of us with a big smile.

Part of the Camino is also an exchange with spanish life, so why just staying in one kind of place..I would not limit myself in such way. Have fun! And a bathroom, just for you...is great!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh thank you all! I feel much better about it. I was reading so many posts and most people were talking of their time in hostels. I will take all this advice into consideration and now more excited then ever. Going the week before Easter next year. march.

We have done five trips, and have morphed into hotel or B&B pilgrims. The hostels are fun, but hotels more comfortable.

In Spain, restaurants open late, Albergues close early. I remember sitting across from a middle aged businessman-type guy in a nice restaurant in Sahagun, and hearing him talk about how he is sleeping so well in the albergues that he has seen no reason to get a hotel. By the time his dinner arrived, he realized his albergue closed up in five minutes, so he wolfed down his food and ran. We relaxed over a bottle of wine, desert, and Torres brandy, and wandered off to our hotel.

kacacc said:
Would it be too tabu to get a hotel room each night rather than a hostel? My husband and I like our own bathroom.
Many hostels also have rooms with their own bathroom and are just as good as hotels. Always check as there are some which do have shared bathrooms too.
Some offer breakfast, some don't but that can be true of hotels too. If they do it may or may not be included in the cost of your room. Again it is worth checking. Some hotels have a restaurant, others don't. etc
Some private albergues also have private rooms with bathroom....

If you want to eat early then a hot meal at mid-day is a good choice and something simple in the evening - raciones or taps but not a full meal. The Spanish eat late, with restaurants serving hot meals from 21.00 at night.

If you are using hotels it is possible to check places out on booking.com and venere.com, but actual booking is best done just 24 hours ahead either online or by researching the hotels own phone number (not given on the booking sites) before you leave home. We carried a list with us and also picked up recommendations en route for all types of private accomodation (with bathroom)

Great choices and variety.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
newfydog said:
We have done five trips, and have morphed into hotel or B&B pilgrims. The hostels are fun, but hotels more comfortable.In Spain, restaurants open late, Albergues close early.......snip....

We have done the same. There are many who believe that the albergue scene is the "true" Camino experience...but having done both many times , I have to disagree.
If you enjoy the dormitory and communal group then it is the best for you but not a requirement of a camino regardless of the opinion of some.
One of my favorite and long time posters on this forum once said that she had done her share of albergues and saw no need to stay in the "homeless shelters" any longer...all tongue in cheek (I think :wink:
I would advise you to try a few albergues along the way so that you can share in the knowledge of what the experience is.

I really enjoy staying in "casas rurales," or B&Bs. You can find many through websites toprural.com and escapadarural.com. These are generally beautiful homes where you can rent one room or the whole house (if you happened to be traveling in a group). The owner is typically off-site, but lets you in and sometimes returns in the morning to cook breakfast. Sometimes they'll prepare dinner for you if you'd like, too. There are generally laundry facilities you can use, and of course full kitchens, baths, etc. I've often been the only pilgrim staying in a home (on the Via de la Plata), and have paid as little as 20 euros/night!

As someone else mentioned, it's nice to visit with the owner(s) and get another experience of Spanish life, too. I've also made some good friends; several of the B&B owners and I still keep in contact. You'll enjoy this, I'm sure.

Melanie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm am feeling much better at wanting to stay in hotels or B&Bs so I can have my own space and shower thanks to all your posts.

We are in a hotel in Astorga right now after three weeks of albergues, and let me tell you it is a divine luxury, esp. after one of us got ill and now needs to recuperate. It is hard to recuperate on the camino with the tight regime of the albergues. We are taking a brief break of a full day before we begin the mountains toward Galicia. We are Pilgrims guests from hell, washing out our dusty clothes in teh bath tub, but the bubbles are heaven, just heaven!!

Good question kacacc. I plan on making the Camino for my first time too, and that was one of my concerns too. Maybe see you, I plan to start Camino De Frances in early april. I think this will be a very spiritual experience.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
ouroboros said:
We are in a hotel in Astorga right now after three weeks of albergues, and let me tell you it is a divine luxury, esp. after one of us got ill and now needs to recuperate. It is hard to recuperate on the camino with the tight regime of the albergues. We are taking a brief break of a full day before we begin the mountains toward Galicia. We are Pilgrims guests from hell, washing out our dusty clothes in teh bath tub, but the bubbles are heaven, just heaven!!

What was the cost? Sounds like your Camino is going well.

I just finished The Camino last week and I made a decision after the first day that I would only stay in private accomodation. Some people along the way gave me slack and said I was not a real pilgrim but they are not a real pilgrim because they spend all their time criticising others. There is no right or wrong way. I walked all the way and carried my pack on my back.

The reason why I did it was because I have a severe allergy to bed bugs. It can be so bad that I would need the hospital. As money was not an issue for me, I decided to stay only in hotels or small pensiones. Whenever I could, I even stayed in a 3 Star Hotel.

It is so much more comfortable and the privacy you get is so welcome after walking 25 to 30kms a day, day in day out. I never took a rest day because I never needed to. I always had a nice bed to sleep in, private shower and toilet or sometimes I shared but I did not have to put up with snoring, farting, sex in the dormitories, horrible toilets with no seats, showers that did not have hot water, showers that had no doors and finally, bed bugs. I know all of this because others along the way told me what I had missed, saying it with so much pride. Well, I am so glad I didnt have to add all of these to my Camino experience.

I was always rested, could wash my clothes and I was clean and ready for my walk the next day. I would highly recommend it to anyone if money is not an issue. It is not expensive anyway as I paid between 30 e to 60 e per day for accomodation. If you had a friend to share with, you could cut the cost by half. I always found/convinced walkers to share with me. Almost all of them never went back to an albergue afterwards ;-).

lynettefoo said:
I just finished The Camino last week and I made a decision after the first day that I would only stay in private accomodation. Some people along the way gave me slack and said I was not a real pilgrim but they are not a real pilgrim because they spend all their time criticising others. There is no right or wrong way. I walked all the way and carried my pack on my back.

;-).

I agree with you wholeheartedly, lynette! Besides you are not only helping the economy in spain as a whole, but if you are staying in family run businesses, you are also helping families with their own economy.

Would love to hear where you stayed and if there is anywhere I should definitely check out.

CaminoKris2013

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
kacacc said:
Would it be too tabu to get a hotel room each night rather than a hostel? My husband and I like our own bathroom.

It is not a contest, it is an experience; your experience.
No one else should be keeping score for you. Hotels, taxi, bus, livery service are fine if that is what you decide to do for yourself.

What you carry home in your heart is all that matters.

Buen Camino.

lynettefoo said:

The reason why I did it was because I have a severe allergy to bed bugs. It can be so bad that I would need the hospital. As money was not an issue for me, I decided to stay only in hotels or small pensiones. Whenever I could, I even stayed in a 3 Star Hotel.

It is so much more comfortable and the privacy you get is so welcome after walking 25 to 30kms a day, day in day out. I never took a rest day because I never needed to. I always had a nice bed to sleep in, private shower and toilet or sometimes I shared but I did not have to put up with snoring, farting, sex in the dormitories, horrible toilets with no seats, showers that did not have hot water, showers that had no doors and finally, bed bugs. I know all of this because others along the way told me what I had missed, saying it with so much pride. Well, I am so glad I didnt have to add all of these to my Camino experience.

I was always rested, could wash my clothes and I was clean and ready for my walk the next day. I would highly recommend it to anyone if money is not an issue. It is not expensive anyway as I paid between 30 e to 60 e per day for accomodation. If you had a friend to share with, you could cut the cost by half. I always found/convinced walkers to share with me. Almost all of them never went back to an albergue afterwards ;-).

We feel the same way, we'll do the whole Camino next May but I will also search out some b and b's or hotels for the same reasons!
I have a tough time sleeping as it is ! Even after walking all day!

I posted this in another thread, but it applies very well here:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Spanish people have provided all sorts of charity to help pilgrims who can't afford an unassisted Camino. We go out of our way to not take advantage of that, but rather contribute to it.

It seems there is a bit of pride among many posters here on just how cheaply they can do the trip. there is nothing wrong with students and people of limited means staying in susbsidized lodging, beeing fed by volunteers etc., but I see all too often pilgrims who bought an expensive ticket, carry fancy gear etc. expecting such amenities.

If you can, spend some money. It does not make you any less holy to pay for restaurant meals, casa rurals, leave tips where appropriate, contribute in the cathedrals, tourist offices and pilgrim centers.

And if you can, don't flee after you finish.......wind down by seeing a bit more of Spain. It is a different, but wonderful place away from the Caminos.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Godescalc (the first pilgrim to Santiago in 951) didn't need that stuff. He was a Bishop, and travelled with a large entourage. I imagine he did no begging, and spent a fair bit of money on the local economy.

An interesting note is that in 1681, Louis XIV issued an interdiction forbidding the pilgrimage. He was upset about how much money was flowing from France in the the economy of Spain. If you want to emmulate the historical pilgrims, contribute to the cash flow.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One of my biggest issues with the albergues was the lights-out policies. I understand why they exist, but I've never been able to follow such a schedule. I generally only need five to six hours of sleep a night (even after walking 30 or 40K), so staying anywhere where I felt pressure to be in bed by 10 or so just didn't work for me. I would lay there for a couple of hours wondering what the heck I was supposed to do next. A couple of times I closed up my sleeping bag and read using the Kindle app on my iPhone, but I decided it just didn't make sense to try to adhere to such a schedule. And there were several occasions when I would be having dinner with folks and they would have to rush back before the doors were locked. It was just easier to stay in a private room in an albergue or in a hotel or pensione when the opportunity presented itself.

Bolden MD Thank you for this, I must say I agree. A pilgrimage is for ones own self and to do something for themselves whether it be religious, spiritual, time to think, sort out their lives, site see the Camino, learn history or get fit,whatever, as once they start on a journey it will be different than possibly what they perceived. None of us, who go are beggars, or so poor we cannot afford to get there or buy the gear to walk the trail. I have felt this for the past year reading the blogs.

We, as pilgrims, are walking across a country, whose people are proud, albeit going through a severe financial crisis. We are walking through historical and religious sites, their homeland, we are receiving a tremendous benefit from having the privilege of walking looking feeling touching smelling hearing tasting, all of our senses alive. Damn the cow pats , the wind , the rain, the bedbugs, the good the bad albergues, pensions, how light we pack bad luck!

Day after day there is a continual stream of people walking through the locals backyards, constantly trailing their lands and expecting to be receiving and too often then criticising or expecting more. Surely this is not one's Camino is about.

No money, limited budget, there is a saying "cut your cloth according to your yardage", but to expect these people or other pilgrims in any way to support you surely is their choice and out of the goodness of their heart, if they so choose.

We all know that in our own lives we would soon be exhausted, cranky, overwhelmed, and broke if we had a constant flow of visitors, and unable to possibly contemplate this journey we are all to go on, imagine the cleaning up, the housekeeping etc

Tread gently on their land, their home land, their villages, go easy, they did not invite you. Go with humbleness and a giving heart, gentleness, humility but do not expect this country these people you meet on the way to owe you a living. Give of yourselves and expect nothing and you may find that you receive far more in many different ways. Clean up after yourselves, leave no rubbish for some one else to deal with, days are gone of having servant. Make this world a better place by being part of it.

each to their own,but for me staying in hotels is like going to a party and sitting next door,a concert and sitting at the back,its a low fat diet, caffeine free Camino-no give me the down and dirty everytime-booking in by 2pm doing your washing then laying on the grass taking in the sun-talking and heaven forbid mingling and connecting with your fellow pilgrims maybe even the odd guitar,how can you not get enough of Bob Marley songs,"its all I've ever heard" the shared cooked meal eaten by the table that would put the United Nations to shame,the clink of glasses-I have learned to say cheers in 15 or more different language's-up nice and early sharing that coffee 5k down the road after being lulled to sleep by the snoring-farting and dare I say copulating couples and always the enduring smell of your fellow Pilgrims drifting in the air-keeping it real while you sit billy no mates on your pristine sheets-charging up your i-pods,kindels,gps? whatever, while writing god knows what in your journals contemplating the answer to it all "boots or running shoes"? safe in the knowledge you are solving Spains economic problems :roll:
no my place is with the great unwashed-but hey as I said each to their own after all we all walk our own Camino right.
no children or animals were harmed while writing this post but a glass of wine may have been consumed :wink:
Ian

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
sagalouts said:
each to their own,but for me staying in hotels is like going to a party and sitting next door
I like a mix of albergues and private rooms (sometimes shared with others). For me staying in a hostal is more like remaining at the party, but disappearing for a while into the kitchen for some water and escape the cigarette smoke or loud music before rejoining the fray refreshed. :lol:

Buen Camino!

I loved everyone who took private rooms because it meant there might be beds for our family of eleven;-0 On the two nights we could not get into an albergue, we took rooms in a pension, which admittedly were nicer (as well as being two or three times the price).....the cheaper one was still in dorms and so made little difference, the pricey one profided us with three rooms and in the morning more than one of us commented on how we felt disconnected from the camino and even from each other, especially having looked through the window at some of our fellow walkers sitting around chatting as we queued for the albergue which ended up full. With that said, I would encourage you to perhaps try an albergue or two just for the experience, and enjoy using private facilities the rest of the time!

Having just recently returned and staying in Alberges most of the time, i would stay in hotels in the larger towns and in small Albergues in the smaller towns. Some of the most rewarding experiences were in very small Albergues where all the inhabitants sat down for a pilgrim meal and shared their experiences. Hospital ?(will need to check:) and Foncebadon were two cases in point for me.
The large dorm experiences in the bigger towns were less inspiring and I would probably get a casa or hotel for these nights. I must admit after a couple of weeks of Albergues, hopping into a nice bed with real sheets and my own bath was a luxury worth a million dollars:)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I definitely didn't miss out on any experiences. I shared meals with my fellow pilgrims almost every night, commiserated over wash basins while doing laundry, listened to multiple snoring competitions, etc., etc. Thankfully, I missed out on people copulating.

Another option that I shared a few times: Although I was walking alone, I made several friends on the Camino, and there were some occasions when three or four of us shared a private room. We did that in a couple of albergues and a hostal that I recall.

Thankfully, I had a full array of experiences in accommodations of all types on the Camino, from the albergue at Orisson to the Parador in Santiago. They were all valuable experiences that created memories that will last a lifetime -- or until I walk the Camino again.

kacacc said:

Agree with the others. There are no additional brownie points for suffering and pretending to be poor, if your budget can afford better. I will do the Camino in 2014, and I plan to do hotels and B&B's. More comfort at night means better trekking during the day. I, too, need alone time and am a senior, to boot, so I will pay for a better sleep.

Must agree with 'Sagalout' the Camino must be a leveller for everyone. I think it is ok to use a hotel now and again for a break and a nice shower with lovely clean sheets but most of the time should be spent with the masses in the Albergues. The bedbugs, farting, snoring, communal cooking/eating, early bed are the backbone of the Camino and everyone should make an effort. I think that the saying"no pain no gain" is very true. A pilgrimage is supposed to be a trial and I hope with recent publicity "The Way" etc that it does not turn into a trendy holiday.

€46,-
devedev1234 said:
Must agree with 'Sagalout' the Camino must be a leveller for everyone. Anyone staying in hotels with private bathrooms and eating slap-up meals whilst having their luggage transported ahead are NOT doing the Camino, they are demeaning the Camino for the true pilgrim, yes pilgrim. If you go to New York to do the marathon every one is equal. Rich and poor have the same rules, you cannot buy your way to a medal. The world is full of trekking trails for the well heeled people of this world. Go to Nepal or other exotic climes. Why water down a pilgrimage into a trendy holiday and have the audacity to take a compostela after four gruelling leisurely weeks. The bedbugs, farting, snoring, communal cooking/eating, early bed are the backbone of the Camino and if someone cannot cope with such things then they have no errand on a pilgrimage. Let them go to Monte Carlo or on a nice cruise and let Santiago keep some resemblance of a pilgrimage.

Oooooh I'm sure this post will ruffle some feathers on here! :wink: I remember sitting around a nice homemade meal in Calzadilla de los Hermanillos talking with several folks about people shipping bags ahead all the time and never staying in albergues and my favorite quote, one that was repeated in jest by some of us in the following weeks, was "it's absolutely shameful!" (that should be read in a nice Welsh accent)

Now while I personally wouldn't use the words "absolutely shameful", I did always feel a small twinge of.... frustration? annoyance?... when I saw people walking ahead of me with their small daypacks on and their scallop shell swinging side to side. I think the nitty gritty aspect of the Camino is what makes it wonderful!! And I wish everyone was comfortable and brave enough to do it "the hard way" (which, really, is not hardship at all- we had hot meals, showers, and beds to sleep on every night, what more could you need on a "trip" like this??) But we all must take our own journeys and be comfortable doing so the way we need to- and I definitely spent a few nights in private rooms which was absolutely wonderful!

devedev1234 said:
Must agree with 'Sagalout' the Camino must be a leveller for everyone. Anyone staying in hotels with private bathrooms and eating slap-up meals whilst having their luggage transported ahead are NOT doing the Camino, they are demeaning the Camino for the true pilgrim, yes pilgrim. If you go to New York to do the marathon every one is equal. Rich and poor have the same rules, you cannot buy your way to a medal. The world is full of trekking trails for the well heeled people of this world. Go to Nepal or other exotic climes. Why water down a pilgrimage into a trendy holiday and have the audacity to take a compostela after four gruelling leisurely weeks. The bedbugs, farting, snoring, communal cooking/eating, early bed are the backbone of the Camino and if someone cannot cope with such things then they have no errand on a pilgrimage. Let them go to Monte Carlo or on a nice cruise and let Santiago keep some resemblance of a pilgrimage.

Once again..as it has been so many times in the past when this opinion is posted....This is just one persons opinion.
Staying in albergues is an opinion of a "proper" Camino...an opinion.
Baggage transfers, while becomimg more common...is again an opinion.
Everyone is welcome to express opinions here and should be honored by all.

One of the things that I enjoyed most about my Camino in 2011 was the variety of people and all the different experiences that they had. I met some who were on a tight budget and stayed in the least expensive albuerges and cooked their own food. I met others who were on "tours" and had their bags carted and stayed in nice hotels. I even met some older people with canes who passed me on a hill and then applauded me after I met up with them. They were on a series of day hikes.
My Camino was kind of in between and I had a wonderful time!! MY GOAL was too meet people, learn what experiences that others have had and learn some more about myself. I also wanted to learn to be more accepting of others decisions and less judgemental.
Everyone has a different experience and I definitely dont feel that there is only one way to experience the Camino. There is no "right" way. I hope that people can remember that.

LTfit said:
Walk your Camino and let others walk theirs. It's none of our business the "whys" of others.

Buen Camino!
LT

Couldn't say it better myself. :)

Last august i stayed in albergues on the camino...but small hotels in Logrono, bourgos and Molinesca.From Sarria onwards due to the influx or tourgrims i had to switch to B&B's.At no time did i feel any less of a pilgrim.I must confess i battled at times against my resentment of the tourgrims...i saw one group...get up and get in a taxi....i saw them again that evening drinking beer whilst i looked round for a bed.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked the 180 miles from St. Jean to Burgos doing it the purist way carrying everything and hostels. Loved it, but didn't get much sleep and developed dreadful blisters. Would have continued doing the same but, because I am a 67 year old female wimp, I am too anxious to get trains and buses on my own and couldn't find a companion to continue this way, so I'm doing the last 70 miles the luxurious way staying inI hotels and having luggage transported. Don't think I will manage to find a way to walk the middle part. By choice I would have walked the whole lot 'properly' and in one go but my sciatica wouldn't have let me do that. I wonder if, with this mixed experience, some people will consider I'm not really entitled to get a compostela. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak! Oh to be 18 again.

I personally think Life is about choices:You choose this or that,You choose to be a Pilgrim or not,You chooce to use Albergues or not,You chooce to enjoy the Camino your way.Is it so difficult to allow each human being a place in the Sun.I am just asking about the true meaning of Life? Buen Camino God bless.Johann Pretorius from South Africa

I fly into Biarritz on the 9th of May and travel to SJPdP that day. I have my flight booked, transport to SJPdp arranged along with Esprit de Chemin booked for that night. My flight back is on June the 24th. That's my planning done, what happens in between is what will happen. C'est la vie! I'm sure that I will learn a lot from those around me, whatever their age, fitness level, health, belief, circumstance - whether they walk with/without packs, take transport, stay in albergues or not. I'm prepared to be a sponge and come back soaked in the experiences. I don't know their situation and can only hope that they gain from their camino just as I hope I do from my camino (I am sure it will).
Buen Camino to all I say
allan

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am jumping in here with the contrarian view, not because I believe the purists, but because the posts are generally missing a component of the equation -- the ones providing the accommodations.

Many albergues have boards and organizations that have evaluated what they want to offer. Some have decided that they are not interested in providing a cheap tourist accommodation. As a result, they have adopted rules that favor the pilgrim who carries his pack. Their analysis is that a backpacker has worked harder and longer to get there, and they want their limited resource to support him. A majority of albergues will not accept cyclists until 6 p.m. on the slightly different opinion that, if the albergue is full, a cyclist can move down the road another 5 km much more easily than a walker.

None of these places has ever said that one person's pilgrimage is more noble than another's. They have simply picked a workable criteria for rationing beds that may be in undersupply.

By the way, ignore the purists; they only seek to bring you down as a way of building themselves up. Fortunately, they never succeed, because they don't believe their own braggadocio. If you are having a hard time ignoring them, I suspect it will be easy when you have completed your camino, whatever it is. Illegitimi non carborundum, and ultreia!

The camino sets us many challenges as a pilgrim and a human being. We are frail and fickle and we must overcome our fears about our own capabilities and the tests that lie in store for us along the way. We take these tests and sometimes we become weary, hungry, hacked off and fed up with it all. But we deal with it each day and then the camino sends one last little crafty test - we see others getting the same compostella as us, taking beds that we might have had, but seemingly not working nearly so hard, getting an easy ride. Is it a sense of human fairness that gnaws us or perhaps righteousness or even envy?
So I say: recognise the craftiness of the ways that the camino is testing you. Smile at it and at the object of your distraction. Then go over and say hello and let them share their camino with you.
Doesn't always work, but often does.
:)

If you can afford a hotel, by all means please stay in hotels! You can save yourself the weight of a sleeping bag and towel that way, and the low-cost albergue beds will then be available for people of lesser means. (that is who they were meant for, you know!)

Some say the Camino is "the real world written small." As such, the camino has its rich and poor and working and leisure classes, all of them traveling toward the same end, all of them mixing it up through the day out on the trail. Some people are going to have it easier than others. Some will suffer, some will quit, some will take advantage, some will find God or nirvana or true love. Some will do it over and over... And some will think their way of doing it is the best and only right way.

Just like real people, in real life.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is no right or wrong way so to hell with those who think the only way to do it is to sleep in albergues. Everyone carries their own weight. It may not be physical but it may be emotional and no one understands that better than yourself.

So if you meet people (like I did) who give you slack for NOT staying in albergues then just walk away and meet others. The Camino is so magical that you get what you ask for. For me, I asked to meet a different walking companion each day and never to be alone. I always found someone to talk to and sooner or later, I found someone who wanted to share a room with me in private accomodation.

My experience I believe was just as magical as someone who stayed in albergues all the way and put up with the beg bugs and the snoring and the farting etc.

For my next Camino in October this year, I intend to stay once again in private accomodation. I am a big girl. I wont be dictated to how to live my life and I wont let you judge me.

lynettefoo said:
There is no right or wrong way so to hell with those who think the only way to do it is to sleep in albergues. Everyone carries their own weight. It may not be physical but it may be emotional and no one understands that better than yourself.

So if you meet people (like I did) who give you slack for NOT staying in albergues then just walk away and meet others. The Camino is so magical that you get what you ask for. For me, I asked to meet a different walking companion each day and never to be alone. I always found someone to talk to and sooner or later, I found someone who wanted to share a room with me in private accomodation.

My experience I believe was just as magical as someone who stayed in albergues all the way and put up with the beg bugs and the snoring and the farting etc.

For my next Camino in October this year, I intend to stay once again in private accomodation. I am a big girl. I wont be dictated to how to live my life and I wont let you judge me.

Well said!

Susannafromsweden said:
lynettefoo said:

Well said!
Yes, quite right. Just don't mistake a bit of pilgrim banter as being an offensive remark. On my last Camino Frances I was only planning to walk from Pamplona to Burgos, because I wanted a break from home and a couple of weeks walking. My Camino family referred to me as 'The Quitter' in a light hearted way, because they were all aiming for Santiago. I took it as it was meant - a joke. However the timetabled bus from Burgos to Valladolid failed to exist and I missed my flight home. I thought 'What the heck, I may as well walk on'...and we all ended up in Santiago. I was able to laugh at their expense then...'How many Compostelas do you have? Hmm?' Again only as banter, but that's what keeps us all going sometimes. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
devedev1234 said:
Must agree with 'Sagalout' the Camino must be a leveller for everyone. Anyone staying in hotels with private bathrooms and eating slap-up meals whilst having their luggage transported ahead are NOT doing the Camino, they are demeaning the Camino for the true pilgrim, yes pilgrim. If you go to New York to do the marathon every one is equal. Rich and poor have the same rules, .

Sorry, rich and poor have never had the same rules on the Camino. The pilgrim who really kicked off the whole thing was a BISHOP named Godescalc in 951. He, and others who couLd afford it travelled with a full entourage. Peasants travelled differently, but those who could rode horses with their staff of attendants. The rich at least had a true desire to perform a pilgrimage, while many of the poor were actually criminals sentenced to perform a penance and had no true belief.

I stayed in two hotels (once due to lack of albergue option, the other for the need of a bathroom to myself as I had a bit of a stomach flu). I stayed in two private B&B for a break - and I don't consider my Camino any less than of one who slept outside in a tent, or every night in an albergue.

What I missed when I wasn't in an albergue, was the conversations, the meetings, the shared meals... What I missed in the albergue was an actual TUB to soak in when the walk was passed my average kms.

If I had the funds, WOULD I sleep only in hotels and B&B? Not a chance, but once in a while, when I opted based on my choices, it was FABULOUS...
This year, we will be taking a different route, and some albergues will be far and few between - therefore, I might even see myself sleeping in a tent... who knows! I'm open for anything and I trust that the Camino will provide!

The Camino is a totally unique and special experience for all who walk it. It will be viewed differently by each and every person. That is part of the magic and mystery that surrounds the whole experience. There is no rule book, there is no one "Way" of walking your "Camino"
The freedom to be yourself and to Journey without being "Judged". To be secure in the knowledge that your fellow "Pilgrim" is there to help and support you no matter what!
This is what i learned on my Camino and this is what i most loved about the time i spent walking the "Way"
Basically there is no "Way", just your own...Buen Camino :arrow:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We will start our next Camino in a couple of months. We plan to stay in private accommodation and use luggage transfers. If anyone wants to judge us, then that is their issue.

We know what we need from this Camino. We will have just spent 18 months living in a post conflict developing country (completely our choice). We will have well and truly done our course of self imposed hardship – mindful of course that should we have a serious medical or security issue then my employer would airlift us to a western country. In contrast, we have been living in a country where pregnancy is quite often a death sentence, domestic violence is common, and many beautiful children die from diseases that are minor issues in developed countries.

For us, this Camino is time to process the past year and a half. Come to terms with the fact that we always had an exit during our self imposed hardship (albeit not as readily accessible as along the Camino), whereas our local friends do not. It is time to reintegrate slowly into a western lifestyle and think about all we have to be grateful for. Choosing to make the Camino as physically hard as possible is not something we need.

I do understand the need/desire to simplify your life and test what you can endure for limited periods. I respect those who recognise this and take action. I equally respect those who want something else from their camino and who go after it.

For the few who judge us – I will try to be glad that I have been of service and allowed them to exercise their judgement muscles :) . The only ‘judges’ I care about are ourselves and God, and I think we are doing OK. The Camino is filled with such a wonderful diversity of people and perspectives. We will still meet many like minded people.

And even if we hadn’t done what we have been doing for the past year and a half, and regardless of our willingness to support local economies along the route, there is a very good chance that we would choose to do our Camino staying in private accommodation and using luggage transfers anyway :D

Tracey.

This business of doing it in private digs and having luggage carried started with that Charlemagne character. Before him, it was really authentic. Like the Beatles in Hamburg.

Aldy said:
What I missed when I wasn't in an albergue, was the conversations, the meetings, the shared meals

We stay in as many Casa Rurals and Chambre d'Hotes as we can find. There, the shared meal and conversation is with a local resident. Our French and Spanish is not that good, so the conversations are sometimes exhusting, but they are really interesting.

We meet other pilgrims on the trail, but we meet the locals where we stay.

Here our host and new friend on the Arles route is sending us off. Nice guy, great cook, wonderful job of restoring an old place.

Attachments

• chambre.JPG
    chambre.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 3,736
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
lynettefoo said:

I think I made the right choice!

newfydog said:
Aldy said:
What I missed when I wasn't in an albergue, was the conversations, the meetings, the shared meals

We stay in as many Casa Rurals and Chambre d'Hotes as we can find. There, the shared meal and conversation is with a local resident. Our French and Spanish is not that good, so the conversations are sometimes exhusting, but they are really interesting.

We meet other pilgrims on the trail, but we meet the locals where we stay.

Here our host and new friend on the Arles route is sending us off. Nice guy, great cook, wonderful job of restoring an old place.

Sounds like the best of both worlds. I did make the decision to stay in private accomodations and have my luggage transferred. I really do not see that my experience will be any different either way.

lynettefoo said:

Good on you. Horses for courses.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think it is important to understand that the vast majority of Pilgrims are not on this forum..nor from the U.S.
The majority (by far) will be carrying their packs with the exception of those who cannot for a physical reason. The "baggage transport" thing has always been there but has suddenly become more promoted on this forum in the last year or two. Not sure if that is an American/Canadian thing or not.

You should still be aware that there is a certain stigma attached to those who are not carrying their own pack...and have no physical reason. This is a fact and is often denied here mostly by those who do not want it to be true.

I have no personal feelings about this, but feel it is important to point it out as it seems as if the forum is leaning more and more toward this misconception. There is a new thread every week asking about "baggage transport".

Each of us should do as we wish...but should understand that the reality may be different than what is sometimes stated here.
JMHO...of course. 8)

The "baggage transport" thing has always been there but has suddenly become more promoted on this forum in the last year or two. Not sure if that is an American/Canadian thing or not.
I have never met an American or Canadian who was using a baggage transport. I have met French, British, German, Danish, Belgian, German, and many Spanish using a transport service, but never a North American.

There is no stigma in anyone's mind except someone else's. A pox on them. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
@grayland I can only comment on my own experience walking the camino last Sept/oct, and that is that the people we met using the baggage service were the ones who needed it, and would have been unable to continue without it. I carried mine all the way btw . I can honestly say, I never heard any pilgrims dissing any others for using the transport system, it was more a case of " good for you , if that enables you to carry on " . As for which nationalities were doing it, I'd say any, or all that needed to.

You are right, most pilgrims we met have not heard of this forum. The very few that had , were extremely grateful for all the help they had from it, including me.

However, there were many Americans we met, who had watched " The Way" and wanted to follow in Martin Sheens footsteps, looking for places in the film for " photo ops" , taking taxis hither and thither, staying in hotels , and sending their bags on. But these were more like tourists , and got labelled " princess pilgrims" !

I'll have to agree with Falcon, I did not meet an American who transported their baggage, only Italians, French, Germans, South Africans, and mostly Spanish. Obviously there were some who did, however, I think it is incorrect to say that it is mostly practiced by Americans. Also, the majority of those who I talked to, especially those walking the last 100 kms, said they were doing so out of convenience, not physical ability. I'm not saying that my observations reflect the majority, only reinforcing that anyone's experience shared on this forum does not necessarily represent a trend or majority, but just an isolated observation.

Not having walked the Camino yet one could say I shouldn't have an opinion here and I don't but I will tell you how I plan on walking the Camino Frances next year.

As of now I plan on carrying my own pack. However, if its a choice between carrying my pack or quitting my journey, then I will have my pack transported.

I do plan on staying in various types of accommodations, albergues, pensions, casa rurals, or hotels or whatever accomodation is available and suits my needs for the night. If I'm staying in alternate accommodation what's to stop me from joining a group of pilgrims for a meal or a glass of wine. Or getting to know the people who actually live in the towns the Camino passes through. I might not experience the same Camino that those who stay in albergues every night do but that is not to say I don't experience the Camino that is right for me.

As several posters have pointed out, we on this forum, and the few other forums out there, are a minority on the Camino. Some of those 'slacker pilgrims' might be surprised to learn that there are those who think less of their pilgrimage because they don't carry their own packs and stay in pilgrim refuges at night. They may think we are all either poor and can't afford not to have our bags shipped and sleep in hotels, or they may think we are the fools that put what they consider unecessary strain on our bodies.

In my everyday life or on the Camino I don't know what burdens other people carry. They may look perfectly health to me but have back problems, be recovering from surgery or chemo, or have active cancer. They may have been caring for family members who are ill and just need a break. They maybe depressed and its all they can do to put one foot in front of the other.

I'm preparing to walk MY Camino, I hope I can let the other pilgrims on the road walk theirs without judgement or resentment which in the long run would only taint my Camino and have no effect on theirs.

THE NORM OF THE CAMINO...??? Oh MY!! 3 Caminos later and I missed "The Norms"!! :shock: where exactly are the Norms of the Camino written? how could I missed them? ....

If there was ever ANY norm to the Camino is about been humble and open-hearted, which is pretty much opposite to been judgmental. NOBODY can tell for sure who is ABLE or not as there are conditions that are not obvious. For a thousand-years the Camino has been a pilgrimage to Santiago. People DON'T HAVE TO go to Santiago, they CHOOSE to go and so they are right to make their own desicions on how they will get there.

The one thing that I do agree with you is that there are those on the Camino who are distracted by how heavy or light is the load on other's people back. Perhaps if they are so easily distracted instead of praying as they should be 8) , then perhaps they should had stayed home....don't you think? :wink:

I am extremely happy about those who CHOOSE to go on the Camino and stay in hotels and transfer their bags. Even better-- HIRE A GUIDE!! Most likely when their Camino is done they have not only taken in personal gain, but they have contributed FUELING LOCAL ECONOMIES and conseqently may have help improve somebody's situation along the Camino, including freeing up a bed for one who could not afford it. I also suspect many who look down on people who stayed at private accomodations are more into the "free"/"donation" part than what they would readily admit to... :wink:

It's been said a thousand times-- YOUR Camino. Have a good one! Buen Camino.

I've stayed in combination of albergue (municipal and private), hotel, pension, and cabin in a campground - and I felt fine about the level of privacy on all of them. Privacy is given for hotel, but also true for pension and cabin in a campground. Even in most of albergue there were enough privacy for private person like myself. Only thing about staying in hotel is that you could be missing one of the BIG experience of the Camino.

Our "plan" such as it is, for our upcoming Camino is to stay in a combo of lodging along the way as it makes sense for us - based on what is available, how we feel, etc. I don't know how we will like the pilgrim hostels. I haven't stayed in group lodging like that since 6th grade science camp, but I am going with an open mind. I might get there and find them to be totally great - who knows? We've done a lot of camping, so I can rough it, use communal bathrooms, etc. DH was in the army and is a combat vet, so he pretty much learned to sleep anywhere, anytime.

. Only thing about staying in hotel is that you could be missing one of the BIG experience of the Camino.
Or consciously choosing to avoid the experiences that you may consider BIG but others may consider less tolerable or desirable for whatever reason they may have.

We actually missed the smaller albergues when we walked Le Puy .
France is mostly gites with private rooms , after a while we really felt like a good old , noisy, smelly and lacking of the finer facilities albergues ...lol falcon

The camino Frances is a very simple exercise.
You turn up wherever you wish to start from , enjoy your daily walk , stop when your body tells you and ***** sleep wherever you want.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I like a mix of albergues and private rooms (sometimes shared with others). For me staying in a hostal is more like remaining at the party, but disappearing for a while into the kitchen for some water and escape the cigarette smoke or loud music before rejoining the fray refreshed. :lol:

Buen Camino!
I also take this varied approach...a good mix of private/ municipal Albergues with the occasional family run pension when the sleep deprivation gets out of hand!!....also found plenty of quiet corners in the garden/ courtyard to spend the night as I love sleeping under the stars...

The camino sets us many challenges as a pilgrim and a human being. We are frail and fickle and we must overcome our fears about our own capabilities and the tests that lie in store for us along the way. We take these tests and sometimes we become weary, hungry, hacked off and fed up with it all. But we deal with it each day and then the camino sends one last little crafty test - we see others getting the same compostella as us, taking beds that we might have had, but seemingly not working nearly so hard, getting an easy ride. Is it a sense of human fairness that gnaws us or perhaps righteousness or even envy?
So I say: recognise the craftiness of the ways that the camino is testing you. Smile at it and at the object of your distraction. Then go over and say hello and let them share their camino with you.
Doesn't always work, but often does.
:)

When I do Camino.. hopefully this year….. I am not really interested in "getting the Compostela" … I have never received verification for the hardships/trials/lessons of my past life ……BUT my heart knows it and I often smile to myself at the inner recognition of the lessons received/endured/embraced so far. I don't need verification on paper to say "you have done it! " ….after all who cares? except me…. I don't need to gaze at a Compostela …… MY HEART is full to the brim of gratitude for/ love for all the lessons/endurances/challenges I have received so far … and so it shall be the same for the Camino. It will all be etched on my mind/body/ spirit/ soul/ heart and will remain so till my dying day … I have no need for the piece of paper.

Annie :)

Annie old mate , i hope you mean in your ""current"" life , not past with verification....You will love the Camino with your attitude.

Pieces.....i wish you a very happy and safe 2014 and don't loose your humour.

….. I am not really interested in "getting the Compostela" … I have no need for the piece of paper.

Annie :)

I don't much care for the Compostela, but I sure like the credential full of stamps. It is a great souvenir and a good diary of where we went.
creancial.JPG

My husband and I finished our camino on November 1st and stayed in private accommodation the vast majority of the time. When we first started we were indifferent, planning on staying in albergues most nights and hotels now and then when we felt like we wanted a bit more privacy. After about a week, we opted for private accommodation most of the time, for many reasons. One, while I loved the social aspect of the albergues, I did not love the snoring and farting and other loud noises... I quickly found that for me to feel good I needed a good nights sleep, and I just wasn't getting it in albergues. And two, after getting bedbugs (which was HORRIBLE), I was hyper-paranoid everywhere we went (and while I understand you can get bedbugs at even the fanciest of hotels, having a private room put my mind a little bit more at ease).

Many albergues offer private rooms for just slightly more than the cost of two beds, and that was an option my husband and I did frequently as it allowed the social aspect of the albergue but also the privacy of your own room.

However, even when we stayed in a casa rural or hotel, they were still filled with pilgrims, so no matter where you stay you still get the social aspect of it all.

We did come across a fair share of judgmental pilgrims that would act as though we were not "real" pilgrims and not "really doing the camino" by staying in private accommodation, but more often than not, no one cared. And the people that did care were usually so concerned with judging others that they weren't the people we would have wanted to spend time with anyway.

Bottom line... it's YOUR camino and you have to do what is right for you. For me, that was staying in private accommodation. If others are going to judge, that's on them.

I walked camino Frances in nov-13. Looking back, I spent 40% of nights in albergues, 20% in casa rural, 20% in small hotel and 20% in parador / good hotel.

I don't regret the time in albergues at all, enjoyed the experience, social etc.

But absolutely I rested better, and squeezed in some unavoidable work, and some writing, and got washing chores done much better, by staying in casa rural and hotel.

I was walking alone and being alone in the evening was also part of my pilgrimage. The social aspect of albergues is great, but is not welcome when you need time and space for yourself.

Long live the albergues, and long live my guilt-free choice to stay elsewhere and make a greater contribution to the local economy, as well as getting more local colour & engagement than the repetitious and ultimately rather monotone experience of regular albergues.

Whatever your choice, it's your choice - enjoy !

We did come across a fair share of judgmental pilgrims that would act as though we were not "real" pilgrims and not "really doing the camino" by staying in private accommodation, .

They know nothing about "real pilgrims"
Michener describes the original pilgrims as everything from royalty to beggars. They travel in different manners:

Knights, who vowed in battle to make the journey if they survived: they ride horses and take their ladies with them.....Criminals, told by the judge "five years in jail or the pilgrimage'....they have a high time in Spanish inns and return seven months later to present the Compostela to the sentencing judge......

The first real pilgrim from LePuy was the Bishop. I would imagine he travelled in style.

Melczer describes members of the nobility travelling with a large entourage of servants, travelling by carriage, while merchants, artisans and others going on horseback.

Then, the "true pilgrims", turned around and went back in the same manner they arrived. The modern albergue dwelling pilgrims take their Compostela and get on a plane.

Last edited:
Being a pilgrim is a state of mind and has no relationship to how you spend your money or where you stay.
Self-flagellation does not make you holy.
The issue of staying in Paradores/hotels/hostels as against albergues seems to be very divisive.
The one argument being if you stay in albergues you are "mucking in" and getting the "real" experience.
The other argument being if you stay in more expensive accommodation is that whilst on the one hand you are freeing up bedspace for others and you will be benefitting the local economy; on the other hand you will miss out on all the fun of the dorm and all that goes on in there!
Thereby, the argument continues, if not in an albergue you will not get the true Camino experience.
I would suggest if that argument were to hold true that in order to get the "true" London experience then, when visiting our capital city, those proponents should spend a few nights sleeping rough on the streets!

Last edited:
Of course it's not taboo, but the times we stayed in hotels and other private places I found myself missing the camaraderie of the other pilgrims, and the communal meals. It was nice once in awhile, but it was in the albergues that we met the friends we still enjoy contact with. It was the shared living experience that many times cemented the friendships.

I would also state that before we got over there, both my husband and I were unsure of sharing bathrooms, and my husband has always flatly refused to stay in B&B's with shared bathrooms.

The times we stayed in the albergues but did not partake of the communal meal I sometimes had a feeling of isolation. I would be resting on my bunk and hear the talk and laughter as they discussed what had gone on that day, as they sat around the table, and I would feel a sense of longing and wish that I had not passed up the chance to join in the meal.

If we ever get the opportunity to return for another Camino, I would choose to spend more time at albergues and take advantage of the sense of community. It's not a matter of the "true pilgrim experience", it's a matter of what you want to experience while you are there. We wanted the shared living experience, so with great trepidation we went all in and found we enjoyed it. It's what we wanted out of our Camino. If you stay in hotels and have a great time and enjoy your Camino then that's all that matters.

MaxfromMo, I understand exactly what you are saying and where you are coming from about this.
But surely it is not beyond the wit of man to organise an economical lunch or evening meal with the "alberguistas" in somewhere other than an albergue?

But surely it is not beyond the wit of man to organise an economical lunch or evening meal with the "alberguistas" in somewhere other than an albergue?
It is if everyone else wants to join the communal dinner. Or if the only place to eat is the albergue.;)

The one argument being if you stay in albergues you are "mucking in" and getting the "real" experience.
I have always thought it more about challenging one's comfort zone rather than mucking in. I can muck in by going camping. My comfort zone is pushed by having 100 roommates! And the "real" experience is only one of many arguments for albergues.

We did a combo of albergues and hotels. Our Camino was cut short due to an emergency at home, but during the time we had, we spent most of the nights in albergues, but occasionally got a hotel room. One night we got a hotel because it had been a tough day for us and we decided that we wanted our own space and a guaranteed hot shower - so we got on booking.com when we stopped for a cafe con leche at a bar with wifi and reserved a hotel for the night. Another time, I was having some real trouble with my ankle so we decided to take a taxi to our next desired stop - we could have stopped earlier in the day and just stayed in an albergue where we were, but we had made plans to meet up with some friends that evening, so we wanted to get to our planned stop. So again, we got on booking.com and got a reservation for that night. I don't think that this detracted from our experience. We met some people on the Camino that stayed in hotels every night.

How to stay in hostals/hotels and STILL enjoy the companionship of fellow peregrinos?
Reading across the posts in this thread, many would like to enjoy both.
This was my simple 'trick' to overcome logistics: While walking and chatting on the way, I asked if we wanted to get together in the evenings and suggested that I would come to their albergue at such and such time, and/or exchanged phone number for messaging. The general problem is that most companions don't know if the albergue offers dinner, (a majority don't) and they don't want to commit beforehand. You therefore have to take this extra step, which gives you another advantage. While walking through the village from your place to the albergue, you can explore nice places for dinner. Once at the albergue, you can decide to dine with friends right there or to suggest another place.
Sounds very trivial? You're right but the lack of 'planning' is often causing 'voids' deeply regretted later on.
Another example? One meets and chats with so many interesting people but then forgets to exchange email addresses, also because you're likely to see them again all the time anyway; arriving in SdC, everybody disperses and suddenly your realise that its too late. Or, you collected tons of email addresses but you simply can no longer associate the addresses with the faces.
The solution? Before leaving home, print-out self-adhesive hand-out labels with your email address and a small thumbnail pix of yourself. Additionally, store that thumbnail on your mobile to be sent quickly by messaging or email to a chosen recipient. Don't be shy to take snaps of your friends too, mailing these to yourself also is a great way to remember.
The communication on the Camino is so easy and natural, that we often tend to forget such essentials.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This was my simple 'trick' to overcome logistics: While walking and chatting on the way, I asked if we wanted to get together in the evenings and suggested that I would come to their albergue at such and such time...

We had a friend on the Camino who did this. We'd see him during the day and make a plan for the evening. It worked well.

I just returned from doing the Camino and I did hotel rooms about half the time, especially in cities like León where I wanted to experience the Paradores hotels. Keep in mind that many of the private albergues will also offer private rooms. I chose that option several times.
I too stayed in the Paradore in Leon, I will never forget the experience.

Middle of last August
Everyone walking up the long straight road where there is nothing but wheat fields/grain paddocks
Was heading to Granon.....it was a very hot day ... started thinking been there done @ Granon.
Entered Santo Domingo...............Parador...........loved it and they gave free entry to all in SD which i passed on to the young ones staying in the albergue.

Stay in as many Paradors as you can and don't use costs as an excuse.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am planning to do a mix of the two. I intend to stay in the albergues for the most part but I have hotels booked at various intervals, including the Parador de Leon mentioned above - I simply felt that I had to stay there. After reading about the Hotel Real Monasterio de San Zoilo in Hape Kerkeling's book about the Camino I felt I should book a night there too. I studied medieval history at university so being able to stay in these former monasteries is part of the thrill for me.

I'm am feeling much better at wanting to stay in hotels or B&Bs so I can have my own space and shower thanks to all your posts.
Hi. I am planning on doing the Camino in the Spring of 2016. Can you tell me how that went for you? Did you book one day in advance? Any hotels that you found to be " a must stay "? I look forward to any help you can provide. Thanks very much.

Ted,

Welcome to the Forum!
Most of the earlier posts in this thread date from 2014. To help you see on line the current range of housing possibilities check out www.Gronze.com. This site lists both pilgrim albergues and regular accommodation along each camino.

Happy planning and Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I must be really stupid but I have been reading everything I can find about rooms, B&B's hotels etc but cannot for the life of me find a list of them. Is there such an animal please???

I must be really stupid but I have been reading everything I can find about rooms, B&B's hotels etc but cannot for the life of me find a list of them. Is there such an animal please???

As Margaret said Bryan www.gronze.com , Camino Frances , and then each stage.
or
Mundicamino , Camino Frances , Lodgings .
or
Wait till your on the path and ask @ the touristo office in the bigger towns which will cover your walk for the next week.They have an up to date register of every conceivable accommodation.

Forgot the simplest way Bryan , order the Miam Miam Do Do and it will be there in front of you.
Every hotel , pension , casa rural's and how many rooms [ chambers ] in each / how many people to each chamber etc etc.
The only guide to take.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you so much I'll check that out asap.

I must say that in everything I have read over the last few weeks and your reply seems to say that the Camino is a bit like "shakespeare in love" it sort of works. All you have to do is start. (my wife thinks I am daft but hopefully you know what I mean).

Thank you so much I'll check that out asap.

I must say that in everything I have read over the last few weeks and your reply seems to say that the Camino is a bit like "shakespeare in love" it sort of works. All you have to do is start. (my wife thinks I am daft but hopefully you know what I mean).

Best parties are never planned mate
Buen Camino

Just completed the Camino Frances in March, 2017 with my wife and stayed in hotels the whole way. It took some creative planning outside the standard guidebook schedule in some of the smaller towns, and we often stayed in Casa Rurales or Pensiones that had private rooms whenever a nicer hotel couldn't be found. There are towns (e.g. Belorado and Ages) where we really struggled to find a decent hotel, but private rooms can usually be found in Casa Rurales or Pensiones in nearby towns -- sometimes you may have to hike further along or add on a day and hike less in order to avoid albuerges altogether.

Hi Lynette, My husband and I are planning to walk from St Jean to Burgos. Would you be able to recommend some B&Bs along the way. We prefer our own room and toilet. We would like to add another day to the first day's walk from St Jean to Roncesvalles. Do you know of any B&B along the way? Thanks.

Such a long time ago ! I went 2016 ... itvwas great agreed with your post 2013

Hi Lynette, My husband and I are planning to walk from St Jean to Burgos. Would you be able to recommend some B&Bs along the way. We prefer our own room and toilet. We would like to add another day to the first day's walk from St Jean to Roncesvalles. Do you know of any B&B along the way? Thanks.

@Swee , between SJPP and Roncesvalles you would need to walk the Valcarlos route in order to stay in private accommodations. The only option on the Napoleon route is the albergue Orisson.

The village of Valcarlos is charming, the route is gorgeous, and I highly recommend Casa Etxezuria. Our large room had timbered ceilings, a little kitchenette, a very adequate shower, and what I believe was a private entrance (didn't see any other rooms off the hallway and we were the only guests). In Oct. 2015 we paid about $50 for a double.

There are other private accommodations in Valcarlos, as well as the really nice albergue. Check gronze.com or booking.com .

Edit for spelling errors, probably didn't get them all ...:(

€60,-
Thanks, Bala. I note that you did SJPP-Burgos in Oct 2015. How was the weather then? Any recommendations for accomplishing in Zubiri, Pamplona, etc up to Burgos. If you can let me know where you stayed, that would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Just completed the Camino Frances in March, 2017 with my wife and stayed in hotels the whole way. It took some creative planning outside the standard guidebook schedule in some of the smaller towns, and we often stayed in Casa Rurales or Pensiones that had private rooms whenever a nicer hotel couldn't be found. There are towns (e.g. Belorado and Ages) where we really struggled to find a decent hotel, but private rooms can usually be found in Casa Rurales or Pensiones in nearby towns -- sometimes you may have to hike further along or add on a day and hike less in order to avoid albuerges altogether.
Hi, My husband and I prefer private rooms with own toilet if possible. Are you comfortable with sharing your research and where you stayed. Many thanks.

Thanks, Bala. I note that you did SJPP-Burgos in Oct 2015. How was the weather then? Any recommendations for accomplishing in Zubiri, Pamplona, etc up to Burgos. If you can let me know where you stayed, that would be much appreciated. Thanks.[/QUOTE

The weather in October was perfect for walking.... chilly mornings that often warmed up to t-shirt afternoons, at least for the first week. I usually wore 3 or 4 layers of clothes and then subtracted or added as the day went along.

I'll have to check my notes on where we stayed, but off the top of my head the Posada in Roncesvalles has a lot of character and a nice fireplace in the bar :). In Burgos we'd had many recommendations for a cathedral-view room at El Cid, and I would happily pass on the recommendation.

Hi, My husband and I prefer private rooms with own toilet if possible. Are you comfortable with sharing your research and where you stayed. Many thanks.
Just get out your guide book, and go to booking.com or hotels.com, and you'll find lots of choices. The weather in October is typically excellent for walking.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back