• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How accurate is AccuWeather?

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm arriving in St Jean on Friday and starting to walk the Napoleon route Saturday morning.
It's my second time to begin the Camino Frances and at Easter in 2016 I had to take the Valcaros route so planned a later start this time as the route should be open .
The problem is it's looks like there will be a lot of rain for the first three days ? I keep checking hoping for some change but sadly NO !
Is this forecast accurate ?
I'm Irish so well used to rain but I so looked forward to enjoying the scenery and the beautiful walk up the Pyrenees (in glorious sunshine) 😕

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The best way to tell if one forecast is accurate is compare it to other forecasts. If they are the same, you have more confidence in the forecast, if not, you can just hope that the one with less rain comes true. I like the windy app because you can compare the different model forecasts to each other. Free but you can pay a subscription to access more data.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The best way to tell if one forecast is accurate is compare it to other forecasts. If they are the same, you have more confidence in the forecast, if not, you can just hope that the one with less rain comes true. I like the windy app because you can compare the different model forecasts to each other. Free but you can pay a subscription to access more data.
Thank you and what is the windy app?
I asked this question really to see if anyone had any reason to doubt the AccuWeather app as in the forecast they gave was wrong ?
I know I'm clutching at straws but it affects what to pack as well as everything else.
Thanks for reply 🙂

Thank you and what is the windy app?
I asked this question really to see if anyone had any reason to doubt the AccuWeather app as in the forecast they gave was wrong ?
I know I'm clutching at straws but it affects what to pack as well as everything else.
Thanks for reply 🙂
You can go to windy.com or download it on your phone. It will show 3 hourly wind speed and rain amounts predicted my the computer model selected. Select a different model to see if the winds or precipitation amounts change. You can click anywhere on the map to get a forecast for that location. You should be prepared for rain already, and don’t worry you will dry out eventually, assuming you’re not made of sugar!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Well I am in the suburb of Philadelphia and we NEVER doubt AccuWeather. If it says sunny - we KNOW it WILL Darn Rain (Same in the winter - if they say no snow we WILL get hit with 6' or more)...

I know it does not help your plight but then who can EVER be 100% sure of the weather?! And if you are packing for Camino - you better pack some rain gear (and chances are you'll use it... so if you have to do so straight from the gate - so be it)
Good Luck and Buen Camino!

Dress for the weather, pack for the climate!

I much prefer the Spanish Met Agency as a source for both. The current weather forecasts can be found here: https://www.aemet.es/en/eltiempo/prediccion
and the climate data here: https://www.aemet.es/en/serviciosclimaticos/datosclimatologicos/valoresclimatologicos/contenido.

You will have to navigate to the region and town you are walking through in both places. There is a map to help if you don't know the names of Spain's regions.

In odd quiet moments, I find it interesting to explore the Extreme Values pages in the climate section.

I have found the Accu app uncannily accurate in Spain, even using its hourly forecast to leave or finish early or late and to miss rain or intense heat. I have used it on the Primitivo, La Plata and Frances. Unfortunately it’s hopeless where I live in Australia!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am also in Australia and use Accuweather often when planning, both here and overseas. One thing I tend to pay attention to is the percentage of rain expected. The higher that percentage the more accurate it is. The percentage for for Sunday is 94% and expected rain is about 15 mm, so I feel that is pretty accurate but if you look at the following days, even though the icon shows rain, the predictions and percentages are way lower, so also feel that even if it rains it won't be much, but hey you never know. It might be an suggestion to start on Monday if you are able to spare the time. Having said all that the weather is what it is, and we only know about it when we are actually in it.

Dress for the weather, pack for the climate!
I think this is key. Unless your Camino is one or two days long, you don't want to count on weather reports for what to pack. The further out the prediction, the less reliable it is. Then you need to pack for the range of possibilities at that place in that season.

I'm arriving in St Jean on Friday and starting to walk the Napoleon route Saturday morning.
It's my second time to begin the Camino Frances and at Easter in 2016 I had to take the Valcaros route so planned a later start this time as the route should be open .
The problem is it's looks like there will be a lot of rain for the first three days ? I keep checking hoping for some change but sadly NO !
Is this forecast accurate ?
I'm Irish so well used to rain but I so looked forward to enjoying the scenery and the beautiful walk up the Pyrenees (in glorious sunshine) 😕
Reliability varies, but rather more so in microclimates ; and in mountain locations like the Pyrenees and the Alps, where weather can be changeable and intrinsically unpredictable. As to rain, elevation can sometimes take you above the clouds and out of the rain.

So if it's raining in SJPP, that won't necessarily be the case up there, though it might be. Or the opposite.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
French weather forecasts for Friday are of alternate periods and patches of sun and rain, with a possibility of snow above 1600m -- but the highest point before Roncesvalles is 200m below that threshold.

You can go to windy.com or download it on your phone. It will show 3 hourly wind speed and rain amounts predicted my the computer model selected. Select a different model to see if the winds or precipitation amounts change. You can click anywhere on the map to get a forecast for that location. You should be prepared for rain already, and don’t worry you will dry out eventually, assuming you’re not made of sugar!
Well I discovered I'm not made from sugar thankfully 🤣 AccuWeather were extremely accurate and it rained relentlessly on my first two days crossing the Pyrenees? It was cold and wet and very slippery underfoot on the descent and I enjoyed every minute of it 😂
I had the most amazing two weeks walking the Frances and met so many lovely people from so many different countries? More than I have ever experienced before in my seven years walking. I fell in love with beautiful towns like Navarrete and the fantastic Albergue Iglesia and the people running it who were so friendly and helpful.
From the cornfields to the vineyards it was all so beautiful and special.
I'm looking forward to next year already

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back