• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

how important is language?

Woozleywoo

Hello!

I am embarking upon my first Camino in Seville in early May and I'm very excited. The decision to walk the Way is a bit of a last minute one - I haven't had much time to prepare, I will be walking alone, and unfortunately I don't speak Spanish. I do have 6 weeks though in which I intend to learn what I can but I wondered if it going to be a problem?

I've also been told that Seville in extremely hot in May but I figure it can't be that bad if lots of pilgrims are walking then?

I have decided to walk the Via de la Plata as I am interested in a quieter route and I wondered how many pilgrims I should expect to encounter daily?

This is a great resource by the way - I've learned lots already!

Thank you

Jo

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, The V.D.L.P is a wonderful walk. I have cycled/walked the Camino 5 times and have no language skills but muddled through. If you can learn to order a meal and find a bed, in Spanish, you will manage. The locals are very patient when you try to speak their language and will smile and help you.
I found that in a mixed language situation you finally speak 'pilgrim' which is a mix of many languages and it all adds to the wonderful experience that is the Camino.
The major tripping point is that lunch menus are usually spoken rather than written. Please research the Spanish for Pork, chicken, lamb, fish, as to the rest of the meal you will swiftly pick things up.
Enjoy what will be, I'm sure, a wonderful time for you, and don't get stressed about not speaking Spanish.
Dael

Hi Jo, I did my first Camino last year from León to Santiago. My Spanish isn´t that good :( but most
of the people I met spoke either German or French!!Also with English one could move without much
problems :D :D .So don´t worry about the language problem at all!!Just trust that St.James will guide you all the way till Santiago :D :D . I´ll be starting the VdlP on the 15th of May this year from Sevilla and who knows we might meet on our way too. By the way when will you be starting you camino exactly?
Buen Camino!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you Dael! That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I shall concern myself with it no longer! As a veritable expert on this route, I wondered how long it usually takes you by foot and what distances you were walking daily? I also wonder how many people I am likely to encounter walking in May? Thank you!

Sundra I hope to start walking on May 1st so we may not quite meet, but you never know! Buen Camino to you also!

Jo

Hi, Jo,

Ah lucky you -- Andalucia and Extremadura in springtime are gorgeous. I know there hasn't been much/any rain this year, so that may affect the wildflowers and babbling brooks, but I started on May 1, 2010 and it was full on springtime. BTW, May 1 is a holiday in Spain,so if you plan to stop at the Roman ruins in Italica on your way out of Sevilla, they will be closed.

I had started the Vdlp a few years earlier but only made it to Caceres because of foot problems. That year I started later, around May 15, and I ran into many fewer people. In 2010, I heard many times that there were big crowds just ahead of me, but I never ran into them. People along the way told me the most crowded times are the weeks around Easter. There were always people to meet and walk with, always people in the albergues, but never a rush for beds. All in all, perfect walking conditions!

You asked about stages. I did a fairly typical 43 day walk (posted my stages here: camino-mozarabe-and-via-de-la-plata/topic8961.html ),which includes a few very short days. Towards the end I met several people of my general walking abilities who arrived in Santiago after 37 days, so it wouldn't be hard to take fewer days.

Buen camino, you'll love this route! Laurie

Well that filled a happy hour. In response to your request for more info I dug out my journal for my walk on the V.de l P. in 2006 and promptly got lost reading it. To answer your questions - I was on the road for 51 days Seville to Santiago (inc 1 rest day at Salamanca). My shortest day was circa 6miles/10 km and the longest 24/39. There were always other Pilgrims to talk to but few enough that I could be on my own if I desired that. I never had trouble finding a bed for the night and, if its still open, I would highly recommend "Casa Anita" in Santa Croya de Tera.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Jo,

I plan on starting from Seville at the beginning of May as well. I actually haven't booked my flight yet, so don't have a set date, but it'll be somewhere around that time. I don't speak Spanish myself, though last year, while walking the Camino Frances, I picked up on the basic words to be able to know what's on the menu and where I can find a bed. There's less English on the VdlP than on the Frances, but I trust that with good pilgrims intention and the warm hospitality of the locals, you can get by. For this Camino, I actually just bought a Spanish for beginners book as I thought it could be nice to understand and communicate a bit better :)

I'm flexible with my time so am actually planning to take my time while walking. I'm hoping to spend extra days in multiple cities that I'm interested in exploring, so I'll take about 2 months from Seville to Santiago and then might continue to Finisterre. From what I read and hear, it sounds like 6 weeks can be manageable.

Could be fun to run into each other along the way :)

Buen Camino!
Michal
--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

Thank you all so much for your advice and encouragement. I've started to get quite nervous about embarking upon this on my own but every time I have a look here and find another comment I remember its something to be excited about instead!

I hope to cross paths with some of you soon.

xxx

Do not be afraid, you will do good! But do learn some basic Spanish, it will serve you well...

On the VDLP, some of the first stages are really demanding; long and hard. But just plan for it, and you will get through. Remember, Extremadura means "really hard" ("Extremably durable"), and it is...

But it is a beautiful walk, and you will enjoy it.

I did Sevilla-Salamanca last spring, and will do Salamanca-Santiago this April/May. Going to Malaga first, then Gibraltar, as a tourist, and then to Salamanca to start walking. After reaching Santiago, I will walk to Finisterre, then take the train from Santiago to Burgos, and busing down to Covarrubias: This is in order to see:

http://www.pilgrim.info/en/artikkel.aspx?id=714273 (Check it out on Google Earth)

How nice is that for me as a Norwegian! After that, I'll take a/the train to Holland to visit a dear friend of mine, then go to Poland to visit my son who is midway in his medical study to become a doctor! (Proud father, indeed...) and then home by plane. Taking it all easy...

With 2 months, you have plenty of time!... Simply enjoy, and don't rush: Live the life you are privileged to experience on the beautiful camino!...

I do not believe that heat will be a problem in May; but warm, yes...

You will meet many friends on your way: It was pretty crowded last year, actually: But you decide: mingle or stay away: Your choice. It is easy...

Buen camino, amigo!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I really hope to meet some of you - I'm starting from Salamanca on April 29th and always go slowly. I like to stop at each wayside cross, and visit the village churches [which are rarely open] and I take loads of photographs.
I shall be wearing the "Pilgrim Forum" badge ... look out for the old guy who's walking at 2 k.p.h.
Buen camino!
Stephen.

Hi Jo.

You will love the VDLP! The people are very friendly, the scenery is gorgeous and it's just a wonderful experience. I can read Spanish pretty well and speak it O.K., so I can't address the language issue. But re: #s of people, I think it's perfect, actually. You can easily spend the days walking alone, then meet up with other pilgrims in the albergues, bars, restaurants, etc. at night, or at popular rest spots along the way. I can't say for sure how many people you're likely to see in May, but in my experience walking in March, September, October and November, the least-popular month was November by far. The other three months were equally popular. Hospitaleros have told me there are fewer people in June, July and August.

Buen Camino!

Melanie

Hi Jo,

Great pick to do the VdlP! May is a wonderful month to start from all that I have heard and read. And there should indeed be more pelegrinos but nothing like the Francés.

I did Sevilla-Zamora last July and can confirm that it is EMPTY in the summer. There were only 7 of us at the start and 2 promptly dropped out due to the strenuous conditions. I was pleased that I spoke and understood Spanish fairly well as they were all Spanish-speaking! I ended up walking with the same companion for 3 weeks and many a day we walked with seeing a soul - on foot or bike and most evenings we were alone in the auberges.

I am still not able to walk any far distances (had to cut my Camino short due to physical issues) but am contemplating biking another route until that time!

All will work out...and when in need there is usually a Camino Angel that comes to your rescue!

Cheers,
LT

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

One reason for me choosing the VDLP is to avoid the constant stress of the bed race on the busier routes. Alas I haven’t escaped it. Literally every bed (that I’m able to contact) is full from...
Several local news websites are reporting that two pilgrims have been taken to hospital with injuries after being attacked by a cow. The incident took place about 10km north of Fuenterroble de...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back