• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much time will I need to go from Sarria to Santiago?

terillp

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015)
With the help and advice from the lovely folks on this forum, I am ready to book buy flight from Florida to Spain to walk from Sarria to Santiago in July. I'm going to need 3 days for travel. Will 8 walking days be enough? I don't want to rush the trip but I also can't linger too long after due to limited funds. Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Eight days means you'll have to cover an average of 14.4 kilometers (or 8.95 miles) per day. That is very doable even if you are not in the best of shape. That should allow plenty of time to take pictures, pet dogs, and sit on park benches each day. Buen Camino.

8 walking days is more than plenty for a reasonably fit person. Most people do it in 5. With 8 walking days you could start in one of the villages after Villafranca and enjoy the final mountain on which the incomparable O Cebreiro sits too and walk the Samos route.

Then again, maybe you'd like to take it super easy and enjoy many pulpo and sidra natural stops from Sarria.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
With the help and advice from the lovely folks on this forum, I am ready to book buy flight from Florida to Spain to walk from Sarria to Santiago in July. I'm going to need 3 days for travel. Will 8 walking days be enough? I don't want to rush the trip but I also can't linger too long after due to limited funds. Thanks!
3 days for travel? Through Argentina ;0) Sarria to Santiago can take you as little as 3 days depending on your gate. Most likely 4, and if strolling 5.

Hi , eight day's is more than enough , wish you a Buen Camino , Peter .

Welcome terillp, five days is the standard time people allow for walking from Sarria to Santiago which is just over twenty kilometers per day. My wife and I took six days but we took it nice and easy. With eight days you can take it super easy or if you finish with days to spare you can have extra time to explore the beautiful city of Santiago or travel to Finistere and/or Muxia on the coast.
Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You have some good margin built into your trip, plus you'll be getting over jet lag so you may want to just rest anyway for a day or more before you start walking. Enjoy it all and Buen Camino!
Faith

Hi, I'm new and this is not a reply but rather a question. How long does it take to get from Santiago Airport to Sarria? My granddaughter and I will arrive at 4:00 p.m on Saturday, May 16 and would like to get to Sarria that day so that we can start our walking early the next morning. We need to be back to the Santiago airport no later than Saturday, May 23, but if possible we would like to be back on Friday so we could see Santiago for a day - is this doable? I am a fit 75 years and my granddaughter is 19. Thank you. Bebe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You probably will miss the 1610 bus from the airport to Lugo, but there is a bus at 1840 that arrives in Lugo at 2030. There is a bus from Lugo to Sarria that leaves at 2045. It is a small bus station, so the transfer time is measured in seconds.

With 8 days, even if you want to walk leisurely, I'd start before Sarria. Maybe Triacastella or O'Cebrero?

You probably will miss the 1610 bus from the airport to Lugo, but there is a bus at 1840 that arrives in Lugo at 2030. There is a bus from Lugo to Sarria that leaves at 2045. It is a small bus station, so the transfer time is measured in seconds.
Th

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very helpful, thanks. So it takes about 2 hours from Santiago to Lugo. How long from Lugo to Sarria? Is it a bad idea to arrive in Sarria after dark?
El trayecto entre Sarria y Lugo es de 30 min. aproximadamente dependiendo de las paradas.

The city is very safe. The walk up to the albergue area is up a hill. The albergues are clustered, so you really don't need a reservation; if one is full, walk 50 yards to the next one.

Something around 30 to 45 minutes. Sarria is large enough that they don't start rolling up the sidewalks at sunset, but because it is July I'd suggest you have a reservation somewhere before you arrive and know how to find it or take a taxi from the bus stop.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very helpful, thanks. So it takes about 2 hours from Santiago to Lugo. How long from Lugo to Sarria? Is it a bad idea to arrive in Sarria after dark?
Life start after dark in Spain: families going out to eat, kids kicking the ball around. You'll be fine.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yes!
Buen Camino

Eight walking days will be plenty. I walked from Sarria to Santiago in five days, and I wish I had been able to walk at a more leisurely pace. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, I'm new and this is not a reply but rather a question. How long does it take to get from Santiago Airport to Sarria? My granddaughter and I will arrive at 4:00 p.m on Saturday, May 16 and would like to get to Sarria that day so that we can start our walking early the next morning. We need to be back to the Santiago airport no later than Saturday, May 23, but if possible we would like to be back on Friday so we could see Santiago for a day - is this doable? I am a fit 75 years and my granddaughter is 19. Thank you. Bebe
hi my name is Isabel and I will be doing the camino on the same time you are also from sarria. I arrive at 6:30 theris a mass in the Parroquia Santra Maria maaat7:30 with a blessing for the pilgrims maybe we cam meet there .Also the stamping of the creential at9pm

hi my name is Isabel and I will be doing the camino on the same time you are also from sarria. I arrive at 6:30 theris a mass in the Parroquia Santra Maria maaat7:30 with a blessing for the pilgrims maybe we cam meet there .Also the stamping of the creential at9pm

We are hoping to leave for Sarria as soon as we arrive on Saturday, May 16 at 4:30pm so that we can start our walk early on Sunday. However, I have unable to verify that we will be able to find transportation that late in the day. Just keeping our fingers crossed for that because we need to start the walk as soon as we can because we need to be back in Sanitago for our flight on Saturday, May 23. Not sure if that is doable either, but that's our goal. I would appreciate any information that anyone reading this can help with regard to the transportation.

thanks, Bebe

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back