• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to go to Orisson refuge.

Sookyoung jun

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello.
I got some language problem because of my lack of English.
I just reserved the Orisson refuge and got email from them.
One thing I can not understand about their email is that they said 'You have to arrive walking without car or bus'.
Does it mean that I can not go there by taxi?
Thank you for your replies in advance.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@Sookyoung jun yes, the website is quite clear - "Warning - priority is given to people arriving on foot". Not by taxi.

There is no-where else to stay between St Jean Pied de Port and Roncesvalles, and they only have a small number of beds, so they are reserving them for people who have walked from St Jean Pied de Port.

Why do you wish to catch a taxi? It is only 8 kilometres from St Jean Pied de Port.

Thank you, Kanga.
I think I am a too-worried person.
Maybe before staring to walk the Camino, I want to think all the options I can have.
I will try to walk.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last year there was a group that had their bags delivered to Orisson. So I guess that is an option, it is a short (but steep) walk so take your time and enjoy the views.

Hello.
I got some language problem because of my lack of English.
I just reserved the Orisson refuge and got email from them.
One thing I can not understand about their email is that they said 'You have to arrive walking without car or bus'.
Does it mean that I can not go there by taxi?
Thank you for your replies in advance.

Hi, don’t worry! I understand your concern – I usually have a Plan B too.

If you have booked and paid for a bed and meals in advance at Orisson, then they will not turn you away if you arrive by taxi.

However, they clearly state that their beds are primarily for walkers arriving on foot, and so it is on your conscience, and yours alone, that if you do arrive by taxi, you may have taken a bed that is very much needed by a very distressed pilgrim, who cannot walk any further . . . .

Just take your time, rest often, don’t try and keep up with everyone else, stop and admire the views.

It’s a lovely walk.

Jill

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Enjoy the walk there. It is a good "tune up" for what is to come.

The upward inclination, the up-angle of the road is quite steep. It is paved road and country path. It is not mountain climbing. It is a steep road. The walk from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Orisson takes about two and one half to three hours.

The reason many people stop there after so short a walk is that the effort to get that far is great. After this, the uphill walking is much easier.

Some people even quit their camino after this first portion. This is sad because the rest of the camino gets easier after the first day.

Yes, you should train on walking up hills, or stairs before you travel to the camino.

I hope this helps you.

Good luck.

I used Bing translator to translate this into Korean for you. I hope this helps.

상승 성향, 도로의 상향 각도는 매우 가파른입니다. 그것은 포장도로와 국가 경로입니다. 등산 하지 않습니다. 가파른 길입니다. 세인트 진에서 도보는 orisson에 드 포트를 얼룩 덜 룩 한 약 2 ~ 3 시간 반 걸립니다.

많은 사람들이 거기에 너무 짧은 산책 후 중지 하는 이유는 그 노력이 멀리 좋은 얻을 것입니다. 이것 후에, 오르막 걷는 것은 매우 더 쉽다.

어떤 사람들은 심지어이 첫 번째 부분 이후에 자신의 카미노을 종료 합니다. 카미노의 나머지 부분은 첫날 이후 쉽게 도착 하기 때문에 이것은 슬픈 것입니다.

예, 당신은 언덕을 산책, 또는 계단 당신이 카미노에 여행 하기 전에 기차를 해야 합니다.

난 당신이 도움이 되었으면 좋 겠.

행운을 빌어.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The upward inclination, the up-angle of the road is quite steep. It is paved road and country path. It is not mountain climbing. It is a steep road. The walk from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Orisson takes about two and one half to three hours.

The reason many people stop there after so short a walk is that the effort to get that far is great. After this, the uphill walking is much easier.

Some people even quit their camino after this first portion. This is sad because the rest of the camino gets easier after the first day.

Yes, you should train on walking up hills, or stairs before you travel to the camino.

I hope this helps you.

Good luck.

I used Bing translator to translate this into Korean for you. I hope this helps.

상승 성향, 도로의 상향 각도는 매우 가파른입니다. 그것은 포장도로와 국가 경로입니다. 등산 하지 않습니다. 가파른 길입니다. 세인트 진에서 도보는 orisson에 드 포트를 얼룩 덜 룩 한 약 2 ~ 3 시간 반 걸립니다.

많은 사람들이 거기에 너무 짧은 산책 후 중지 하는 이유는 그 노력이 멀리 좋은 얻을 것입니다. 이것 후에, 오르막 걷는 것은 매우 더 쉽다.

어떤 사람들은 심지어이 첫 번째 부분 이후에 자신의 카미노을 종료 합니다. 카미노의 나머지 부분은 첫날 이후 쉽게 도착 하기 때문에 이것은 슬픈 것입니다.

예, 당신은 언덕을 산책, 또는 계단 당신이 카미노에 여행 하기 전에 기차를 해야 합니다.

난 당신이 도움이 되었으면 좋 겠.

행운을 빌어.
Thank you so much for your kindness.
Walking the camino has been in my bucket list for more than 20 years.
Now I have the time to walk, but do not have the good health for it.
So I am worrying.
From last week I started to walk 4kms a day and will make it longer as time goes by.
I still have 6 months to prepare, so I will make it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, don’t worry! I understand your concern – I usually have a Plan B too.

If you have booked and paid for a bed and meals in advance at Orisson, then they will not turn you away if you arrive by taxi.

However, they clearly state that their beds are primarily for walkers arriving on foot, and so it is on your conscience, and yours alone, that if you do arrive by taxi, you may have taken a bed that is very much needed by a very distressed pilgrim, who cannot walk any further . . . .

Just take your time, rest often, don’t try and keep up with everyone else, stop and admire the views.

It’s a lovely walk.

Jill
Thank you for your encouragement.
I will walk step by step to Santiago de Compostella.

Be prudent! If you have six months, train and keep assessing your ability. Know your limitations.

I know a group who took the shuttle to Huntto and then walked the steeper part and then stayed at Orisson.

But the second day, from Orisson to Roncevalles is not a picnic if one has issues.

You could also split the walk into three days by using the shuttle. https://www.expressbourricot.com/persons-transport/

Too many pilgrims try to go beyond their ability at that time and have to cut their caminos short. Let the mind guide.

1621428783499.png

Last edited:
The OP inquired more than three years ago. I wonder how they fared?
People take a shuttle to Huntto and walk the short distance to Orisson? Really? Why bother?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Sookyoung jun

It is the Orisson policy that their overnight guests must arrive by walking from SJPdP; this is understandable because it avoids "tourigrino" tourism. It was already mentioned that you are allowed however to alleviate that though and steep first 8km by sending your rucksack ahead (Express Bourricot).
They also pick up and transport it from Orisson to the next stop-over, btw.

Another alternative, which in my mind is largely disregarded in this forum, is to taxi until Orisson, have a coffee there, and walk to Roncesvalles. This avoids walking the hard stretch, the remaining distance is shorter and easier to accomplish, perfectly doable even for "rusty" starters.

(Purists here may kindly restrain their opinions, please :) )

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back