• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

How to recharge my Vodafone pre-paid card

peregrina2000

Staff member
I bought a Vodafone prepaid card for four weeks. I bought it in Spain on Sept. 7. I am now in Portugal and thought I would add another 4 weeks now since I’m in a city with a Vodafone store and I need to extend till October 15. It doesn’t really matter when I buy the additional 4 weeks since I only need coverage for about 10 days beyond the expiration of my current card.

Vodafone Portugal can sell me a new 4 week Portuguese card but it’s terms are hugely inferior to the plan I got in Spain. But Vodafone Portugal cannot help me extend my Spanish Sim card.

The only Spanish city of any size that I will be in before my card expires is Ribadivia, and I don’t see that there is a Vodafone store there. I hope to arrive in Santiago on October 4 or fifth,
And I suppose I can just buy a new SIM card if mine has expired.

After this long wordy explanation, here’s my question. Is there any way to add on to my current card without being physically present in a store?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I took a quick look, and it does look easy!
2ADB4583-6679-4946-8E35-00D550116A9F.png
Sorry, I did not pay attention to post no 2, it has the information.

Last edited by a moderator:
In May this year I was nowhere near a Vodafone store. I couldn’t work out the link Vodafone sent to reload., so I managed to call them direct and explain what I wanted to do.., they sorted it , then I paid online.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You may be able to recharge your Vodafone card at a supermarket in Spain, try asking before you go into Portugal.

I bought a Vodafone prepaid card for four weeks. I bought it in Spain on Sept. 7. I am now in Portugal and thought I would add another 4 weeks now since I’m in a city with a Vodafone store and I need to extend till October 15. It doesn’t really matter when I buy the additional 4 weeks since I only need coverage for about 10 days beyond the expiration of my current card.

Vodafone Portugal can sell me a new 4 week Portuguese card but it’s terms are hugely inferior to the plan I got in Spain. But Vodafone Portugal cannot help me extend my Spanish Sim card.

The only Spanish city of any size that I will be in before my card expires is Ribadivia, and I don’t see that there is a Vodafone store there. I hope to arrive in Santiago on October 4 or fifth,

After this long wordy explanation, here’s my question. Is there any way to add on to my current card without being physically present in a store?

I sincerely believe it depends on the original SIM card you bought.. I bought ones in Portugal that could not be recharged, but I knew that in advance when buying them.. I believe the ones that can be recharged are more expensive... I was there 2 months and had 2 different SIM cards but since it took all of 10 minutes to catch up with number changes (WhatsApp primarily) it really isn't all that bad... As a comment, I bought one card in Portugal and one in Spain and really didn't find a "huge" difference at all. Functioned throughout both countries just fine..

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks everyone, I’m not sure why it didn’t occur to me that this could be done online.

It turns out, though,that the links brought me to a spot where I could add euros to my balance, but there was no way to enter information about which plan I had. So a little more searching led me to a way to renew any one of the 28 day plans (“tarifas”) but I think I have to authorize an automatic monthly payment. Assuming I can cancel this after one renewal, no problem. In any event, I think I will wait till I get to Spain and see if someone can help me, now that I’ve downloaded the Vodafone app and set up my own personal account.

It turns out, though,that the links brought me to a spot where I could add euros to my balance, but there was no way to enter information about which plan I had
Almost every pre-pay plan (that lasts 28 days) will auto-renew provided that there is sufficient credit in your account balance.

If you have the Vodafone app then you can top up your balance inside the app.

Here’s another thing to put into the “I shouldn’t have worried about that” category.

The last day of my pre-Pago Plan M is today (a terrific deal btw, at least in comparison to what I pay monthly in the US). I woke up to a text message from Vodafone telling me to click on the link if I wanted to recargar. Put in the CC number and that was that.

Lessons learned:
You cannot recharge a monthly plan till the last day of the plan.

Vodafone is eager for your business and will make it very easy for you to recharge.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The last day of my pre-Pago Plan M is today (a terrific deal btw, at least in comparison to what I pay monthly in the US). I woke up to a text message from Vodafone telling me to click on the link if I wanted to recargar. Put in the CC number and that was that.
Reminds me of an incident I read about many, many years ago. A man was stranded in the mountains (Andes?) and in a really bad situation. He finds though that his cell phone plan has run out of minutes. Things have just gotten worse. But then he gets a call from a salesman for the plan who says that they noticed that he is out of minutes and asks if he would like to buy some more.

Back