• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to store and transfer videos when I am on the Camino.

La Brique Jaune

Official member of la confradia del pinza del oro
Time of past OR future Camino
2017: SJPDP to Finisterre
2024: SJDP to ?
Hi To all,

I bought an action camera for taking videos of my next camino, Forthe context, I watch so many inspirings pilgrim's videos and I want to do mine for my future days, to remember. For now, I do not have the intention to create a Youtube channel. My videos will be see byfamily and few friends. I want to do some longer videos liketimelapses but I suppose I will do most of time small clips (2 -5minutes long).

How many memory cards ? a small hard drive ?
The transfering in the cloud is an option ? (The wifi is not optimal in the albergue and I really don't want to monopolise the banwitdh).

Have you others gadgets useful to suggest me ?
Thanks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I actually used an SD card adapter that plugged into my phone while I was on the Camino but have since switched to something like what you linked and that works even better.

I used my iphone and made short clips all day long and at the end of the day, used i-movie to splice them all together. You can make a private youtube channel that is just for you and friends/family. Alternative is to make a FB page just for them. It was easy to upload them every night. When I got home, I added more details on the descriptions, etc. Have done this the past 2 years and it is really easy.

I used the app relive (relive.cc) to create a video and posted that on Facebook or sent it to people I know who asked but weren't on social media. I found the videos were actually viewed by very few people, but they are stored online, not on my device. I did purchase a memory stick along the Camino that I downloaded some photos onto. I now have a new phone with a TB of memory, so am no longer concerned 👌

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last Sep/Oct I walked the CF and took 2000+ RAW photos on an iPhone. It had plenty of storage but experience has taught me to have a backup copy.
I took a SanDisk iXpand Flash Drive Luxe 256GB 2-in-1 memory stick. It has a Lightning iPhone connector at one end and a USB Type-C or 3.0 at the other. Connects to most devices for uploading and downloading.

bought an action camera for taking videos of my next camino,
A little more context would be good, because there are loads of variables. How long a Camino? Are you a prolific video maker, or someone that will be likely to only use it briefly a couple of times a day? And you say you don’t intend to make a YouTube video at this point, but could that change? (Because then you’ll want more footage).
It also depends on what setting’s you use. You can take viewable videos at a relatively low resolution, but if you might want to post on YouTube, then a higher resolution is better/ recommend. That change’s how much footage you can store on your SD card.
Logically, videos also take up way more memory than photos!
I just walked the Primitivo, so only 12 days. My GoPro is a new toy for me, so I recorded way too much . I only used it for videos, not photos - used my phone for that. By Lugo my 256gb card was all but full- that’s around 4,5 hours of footage. I had a rest day, so over 2 evening’s I scrolled through a bunch of footage and deleted quite a lot. The issue was however , that some long clips were 70% junk, but with a short bit I wanted to keep. Which then means either uploading/ deleting/keeping everything. If you have a GoPro, and are a subscriber, you can backup to the cloud, edit in the app etc.

Gadgets- again, depends on what you have - if it’s a GoPro, yes. Let me know!

Oh, and yes, I will be posting on YouTube. Like you I did it for family and friends, but I decided I didn’t mind making it public, because without a fellow forum members YouTube videos I would never have done a Camino in the first place. ( I will be forever grateful ).
Most of my last Camino series has only been viewed by friends and family, a few videos have more views. Either way, I got to relive the experience !
Personally, for my next Camino I’ll practice more, film less, and also take an extra SD card. If I need more, any major town/ city should be able to supply me with a third if necessary. Uploading/ editing etc on the trail is too much like hard work, I’d much rather spend it in contemplation, or conversing with my fellow pilgrims!

This is my kit for such things:
1. One - GoPro Hero Black (now the version 11)
2. Five - Samsung EVO Pro SD cards, (512 Gb). USD $40/per
3. One - SAMSUNG T7, 2tb, Portable SSD drive. USD/$120.
4. One - NewQ Filehub AC750 Travel Router: Portable Hard Drive SD Card Reader & Mini WiFi. USD $80.00

The above set up allows me to shoot an 8 hour video continuously, then transfer video or photo data from the SD card to the external SSD drive.

Extra: For long range battery power to the GoPro, I use an Anker PowerCore 13000 Portable battery/charger connected to the GoPro's external port via a usb cord.

I mount my GoPro to the shoulder harness of my backpack so I do not have to hold it. I simply let it record and I do not pay much attention to it as it is meant to record POV video as I walk. Editing is done later, as are any frame captures I want to use as still photos.

Another forum member who has vast experience with this type of thing is John Sikora, who was generous in helping me to learn how to do this stuff.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi
A little more context would be good

Yes you are totally right. I plan to walk between 5 or 6 weeks, which camino for now I don't know. And I'm new with my osmo action 3. I don't think I will take long videos while walking (recording during 1-2 hours for a hyperlaspe), I suppose I will take only small clips 5 minutes of less. If I look back on my last camino, I took a lot a photos sometimes just to capture something that me me laugh.

I said I dont' want too make youtube channel for saying I will not film in 4K all the time it take too much space. (people like 4K but for my family 1080p will be ok). My channel will not restricted, for inspiring people to do this.

On my last Camino I was to tired so write my toughts of the days (I regret it because I have some greats revelations in the fews notes I had). I think to record myself to remember where I was mentally and watch them few years later. Also I want to film like things a pilgrim see and do, and some friends if they are agree.

For now my objective is to not do editing or sorting my videos while I will be on camino but keep all my videos and then later at home do the job. I want to be focuse on the camino and I know some videos even if they are bad they will remember me something later.

For now my equipment is an osmo action 3, with 3 batteries and a charger case and a Samsung A12. I will buy a mini sd card reader to transfert to my cellphone and when I will be in hostel will transfert it to cloud or Youtube. I was thinking to buy a couple a sd card, and don't think much about it. but how many and it's a good approach and I don't know.

Thanks

Seems to me like you have it sorted. One spare SD card sounds like a good plan, they’re tiny and weigh practically nothing. If you do end up wanting more, as I previously said you should be able to get one in most big towns.
Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
By the way, you’re probably planning to do this anyway, but practice with the camera now while you can. Easier to figure everything out when you are at home! And then maybe you’ll have a better feel for your gear than I had - and so not waste time on footage you are never going to use….

Gear : I just used a shoulder harness faster (like @davebugg ) , and a mini stand which also extends out 20cm or so, but allows you to take selfie shots easily because you can angle the camera. Batteries, charger and lightweight case which I also used to carry all my cables, phone charger etc. Held my hikers wool too, which stopped everything rattling!

Memory is cheap.by multiple media cards and store them in a small case perhaps?

I just use my phone.
Makes the whole process easier.
And I get extra data on the SIM and upload as I go.
Really only as a backup in case I lose the phone.

If I was to use a Camera, i'd just carry extra SD cards.
Then you have the issue of backups.
Using a simple card reader you could backup onto your phone.

And then you could upload for a further backup or posting them as you walk.

Work out how much data you will likely use.
For 2 reasons.
How many SD cards to take.
And how much phone data you'll need if you want to upload as you go.

I just took a 1 minute video at 4k on my phone and used that as the baseline.
So for example.

1 min at 4 k on my phone = 350 MB.
So 2 x 4 min videos per day = 2.8 GB
40 day Camino = 112 GB etc etc

I think I used about 200GB over 60 days last time.
Mainly uploaded via phone data.

I always upload online.
I could lose my phone or the SD cards!

On my last Camino I was to tired so write my toughts of the days (I regret it because I have some greats revelations in the fews notes I had). I think to record myself to remember where I was mentally and watch them few years later. Also I want to film like things a pilgrim see and do, and some friends if they are agree.

This is the main reason I take videos on Camino.
Simple ones just using my phone.
Sure I have a YouTube channel, as I love to share and help and encourage others.
But the #1 reason for these videos? It's for me to watch :)
It's like my diary.
Pat often asks me how I remember so much detail about each Camino.
Because I watch the videos ;)
They make a wonderful record.

This is the main reason I take videos on Camino.
Simple ones just using my phone.
Sure I have a YouTube channel, as I love to share and help and encourage others.
But the #1 reason for these videos? It's for me to watch :)
It's like my diary.
Pat often asks me how I remember so much detail about each Camino.
Because I watch the videos ;)
They make a wonderful record.
Ditto to all of the above. Well, replace my son's name with Pat's and you've got the idea!
Although with only 70 subscribers I've got a way to catch up to you Robo! To be fair I'm astonished I've got more than 15 or 20 ( friends and family).
Because I actively avoid filming people whenever possible (unless I've got their permission) there's quite a number of great people from my camino's that aren't in my videos. C'est la Vie.
One thing that I really do need to do is actually ensure I write down/ record people's names. I never have a problem remembering the ladies names, it's just the blokes for some reason 😂.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.