• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hurray! Milestone reached! 10 000 kilometers on Caminos de Santiago.

bjorgts

Time of past OR future Camino
In Spain, France, Portugal, Germany since 2003
A couple of weeks ago, when I crossed the Roman bridge into Cordoba, I reached the milestone of ten thousand kilometers (6213miles) walked on pilgrim roads in Germany, France, Portugal and Spain. We walked out of Pamplona on our first Camino in spring 2003. Since then we have not seen any good reason to stop walking.
It has given me many wonderful experiences, some very wet days, and has been important in keeping me fit.
Important? No!!! But fun! And a long way, as my son says: "As long as from north in Alaska to Bogota in Colombia."
But this is important: I am so grateful that I still have good health and can keep walking!
20191103_165245.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A couple of weeks ago, when I crossed the Roman bridge into Cordoba, I reached the milestone of ten thousand kilometers (6213miles) walked on pilgrim roads in Germany, France, Portugal and Spain. We walked out of Pamplona on our first Camino in spring 2003. Since then we have not seen any good reason to stop walking.
It has given me many wonderful experiences, some very wet days, and has been important in keeping me fit.
Important? No!!! But fun! And a long way, as my son says: "As long as from north in Alaska to Bogota in Colombia."
But this is important: I am so grateful that I still have good health and can keep walking!
View attachment 66746
Your photo speaks! Milestones are not redundant yet...congratulations, you deserve it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Congratulations and welcome to the club.
View attachment 66746
[/QUOTE

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
View attachment 66746
View attachment 66746
Hi Bjorgts
You look fantastic.
Please share your top 5-10 tips on what you have learnt including preparation, footwear and daily averages.
I am only half way to your total.
Buen Camino
Mark

wow,...well done you! congratulations!! buen camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hearty congratulations! What wonderful memories those 10,000kms would hold for you.
Take joy in every step -
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Wow! It sounds amazing. Great. And you are full of memories. Wish you good health and many more kilometres on the road again.

View attachment 66746

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
View attachment 66746
God loves a trier
Love

Attachments

• IMG20191012080410.jpg
    IMG20191012080410.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 14
A really wonderful achievement....warmest congratulations. Keep walking my friend. Buen Camino for whatever trail you are on next.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Bjorgts
You look fantastic.
Please share your top 5-10 tips on what you have learnt including preparation, footwear and daily averages.
I am only half way to your total.
Buen Camino
Mark
What have I learned?
A year ago, I was asked to give a lecture titled: "What have the long walks taught me?" Then the answer is not about the practical aspects of walking, but about the great lessons: What has the hiking meant to my vision of what is important in life? Here are some answers:
A) "We end up where we set our goal - on the road and in life." If you know what your goal is, you make thousands of small choices that lead you there ... even in life.
B) "Lighten your burdens! Carry on as little as possible! Carry lightly! ”… On the road and in life… What is my house full of that is absolutely unnecessary? How do I want it? What have I learned about the importance of packing lightly? What do I have with me mentally, which I do not have to carry? Can I work on any of it and put it away from me?
C) Be careful! Long walks can change you! You may discover what is essential in life. This is my summary of the most essential - four points:
1: Life - that I actually live.
2: People - some are mine, others are good helpers
and some need help.
3: The Earth - that we live by it.
4: God - that He carries it all.
To number 3: We live by what the earth gives us. I have now walked 10000 km through agricultural lands; millions of steps between fields, meadows and forests. It has done something to me. I know now, in a different way than before, that we come from the earth and are closely related to it. We depend on the thin soil that covers this globe, and what grows out of this earth. This is our foundation of life! Millions of farmers and agricultural workers around the world make sure you have food on the table every day. Many of these live in very poor conditions and are low status. - It's crazy! - If you can do something about it, do something about it! (This was my speech today. :))
Maybe I'll come back to practical things I've learned a little later.
Sorry for my English. I know it's not perfect. I'm Norwegian. :)

Last edited:
View attachment 66746
Wow! Congrats. You are very licky

View attachment 66746
Yes, important!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
View attachment 66746
Wow!!! I'm seriously impressed! And inspired! I've only walked about 2000km (in 3,5 years, but have no plans on stopping :)
Do you have a blog or something similar? You must be sitting on so incredibly much information (that I want) haha

Would love to know how it was, walking through Germany for example..

Anyway - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

What have I learned?
A year ago, I was asked to give a lecture titled: "What have the long walks taught me?" Then the answer is not about the practical aspects of walking, but about the great lessons: What has the hiking meant to my vision of what is important in life? Here are some answers:
A) "We end up where we set our goal - on the road and in life." If you know what your goal is, you make thousands of small choices that lead you there ... even in life.
B) "Lighten your burdens! Carry on as little as possible! Carry lightly! ”… On the road and in life… What is my house full of that is absolutely unnecessary? How do I want it? What have I learned about the importance of packing lightly? What do I have with me mentally, which I do not have to carry? Can I work on any of it and put it away from me?
C) Be careful! Long walks can change you! You may discover what is essential in life. This is my summary of the most essential - four points:
and some need help.
To number 3: We live by what the earth gives us. I have now walked 10000 km through agricultural lands; millions of steps between fields, meadows and forests. It has done something to me. I know now, in a different way than before, that we come from the earth and are closely related to it. We depend on the thin soil that covers this globe, and what grows out of this earth. This is our foundation of life! Millions of farmers and agricultural workers around the world make sure you have food on the table every day. Many of these live in very poor conditions and are low status. - It's crazy! - If you can do something about it, do something about it! (This was my speech today. :))
Dear bjorgts, thank you for the deep lesson for today, and tomorrow, and the days after... My English is not perfect either. I'm Scottish... !

Wow!!! I'm seriously impressed! And inspired! I've only walked about 2000km (in 3,5 years, but have no plans on stopping :)
Do you have a blog or something similar? You must be sitting on so incredibly much information (that I want) haha

Would love to know how it was, walking through Germany for example..

Anyway - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!
- Thank you!
- Sorry! I do not have a blog.
- We have walked twice in Germany. Mozel Camino some years ago, and half Der ökumrnische Pilgerweg now in September. Both very interesting in another way than Spain. (We speak German.) When I have time, I will write something on the forum about this. I made a Photo-video from Der ökumrnische Pilgerweg. You can see it here:
The text to the video have some information.
- I have a YouTube-channel, and make photo-videos from many of my Caminos. The address: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt5ZEmAaRwk0YVj7HRwQa4g/videos
- If you have questions, just ask! May be I can answer, May be not... :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
What have I learned?
and some need help.
Thank you Bjorgts,
really appreciate your insights. Will file for further reflections.
Was this the Camino working on you at some intrinsic level?
I know it changed me in ways I couldn't identify at the time.
One of the first shocks was on arriving at Santiago I felt disappointed with what I felt and saw. Not the same spirit I had been experiencing; preferred to be back walking in the fields; might sound like heresy to some however it was very real to me.
I can often only understand things by looking backwards.
The understanding came when some months later back in Australia I was reading a newspaper that spoke about "eco therapy" and outlined the benefits of being in nature for extended periods; Then I realised that was exactly what had happened to me during my 6 weeks walking. There was some sort of transformation at a deeper level that I didn't realise at the time; just knew when it was diminished when I got to a big city i.e Santiago. Light a light bulb being dimmed.
Now when walking I really try and establish a mental connection with the fields, forests, wind and rain. I can see why early man reverenced nature.
Its one of the enduring benefits of my first Camino and draws me back for more therapy!!
Wishing you many happy days walking.
Mark

Can you explain "intrinsic" with other world? I have problem understanding this world.

If I may try to interpret - perhaps, deep, interior, inchoate, subconscious... and if you need a translation, try your dictionary! I hope the author will see your request when he wakes up, as his timeline is far ahead of yours and mine! and he can explain his own thoughts...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Can you explain "intrinsic" with other world? I have problem understanding this world.

Intrinsic is opposed to extrinsic -- "intrinsic" refers to that which is internal to the thing or the person in question, whilst "extrinsic" refers to that which is pertinent to the thing or the person from outside.

So the taste of grapes and the vine is intrinsic to a wine ; whereas the bottles used to store it and the glasses used when drinking it are extrinsic to it.

Thank you. I have tried the dictionary. But this is the kind of problem you sometimes get when the language you read and write is one of your foreign languages. I do my best. :)

Have all the Camino's had an inner influence on me? I think what I wrote about my experiences above here is pretty much "inner". Besides, we all develop over the years, and since I have been walking Caminos for so many years - and now being a pensioner - I do not know who I would have been if I had NOT started walking. :)

I usually walk together with my husband, but when I walked alone seven weeks the first time in 2007, I had thought that now I would have a lot of time to think many deep thoughts. That was not the case. It was probably especially then that I discovered that the Camino takes you down to "the basic", and what I have learned above all is therefore what is basic in life, and what is the essential elements of life.

I have said many times: If you are scared of being challenged in the way you live, or if you are scared of being changed, do not start this kind of long-distance walks. You take the risk of coming home permanently changed.
On my second long walk alone - from Cadiz to Santiago, Muxia, Finisterre, some thoughts about life came to me that I was not prepared for. It was challenging and quite surprising.
So, have I experienced basic inner changes? Yes I think so.

Thank you Bjorgts,
really appreciate your insights. Will file for further reflections.
Was this the Camino working on you at some intrinsic level?
I know it changed me in ways I couldn't identify at the time.
One of the first shocks was on arriving at Santiago I felt disappointed with what I felt and saw. Not the same spirit I had been experiencing; preferred to be back walking in the fields; might sound like heresy to some however it was very real to me.
I can often only understand things by looking backwards.
The understanding came when some months later back in Australia I was reading a newspaper that spoke about "eco therapy" and outlined the benefits of being in nature for extended periods; Then I realised that was exactly what had happened to me during my 6 weeks walking. There was some sort of transformation at a deeper level that I didn't realise at the time; just knew when it was diminished when I got to a big city i.e Santiago. Light a light bulb being dimmed.
Now when walking I really try and establish a mental connection with the fields, forests, wind and rain. I can see why early man reverenced nature.
Its one of the enduring benefits of my first Camino and draws me back for more therapy!!
Wishing you many happy days walking.
Mark
About being disappointed on arriving in Santiago:
The walking need an aim, but it is the walking on the road that makes it worth the trouble. For many years (eight years to be exact) I have carried with me in mind something lovingkindness wrote here on the forum when she was almost on target in Santiago and had walked all the way from Trondheim in Norway. She wrote: "..... Santiago dC is the end of dreams.......a place where peregrinas die.... Santiago is a soaring cliff a ´wall´I just can´t scale....." I have never seen it expreced more clearly. Something ends when we reach Santiago...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
About being disappointed on arriving in Santiago:
The walking need an aim, but it is the walking on the road that makes it worth the trouble. For many years (eight years to be exact) I have carried with me in mind something lovingkindness wrote here on the forum when she was almost on target in Santiago and had walked all the way from Trondheim in Norway. She wrote: "..... Santiago dC is the end of dreams.......a place where peregrinas die.... Santiago is a soaring cliff a ´wall´I just can´t scale....." I have never seen it expreced more clearly. Something ends when we reach Santiago...
I like the quote although don’t fully understand it. Looks very profound. Quite deep.
Yes I think it’s about the journey, not the destination. Have been back about 4 times since and still no magic in Santiago.
A German friend believes the whole CF is like being in a spiritually charged tunnel with “thin places” along the way. These are places where there is less space between earth and the spiritual world.
Certainly a magic a times, often revealed by people we unexpectedly meet.
Mark

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back